Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Flite P-47 Razorback 1.2m (48")

Hi Guys,

Just want to share my setup for Razorback from E-Flite.
    I love this plane in FPV and LOS

YouTube link (was out flying, looking for fireworks this summer on the 4th of July)

Here is my setup:

Airframe
    - MDL: P-47 Razorback 1.2m/48" (E-Flite)
    - ESC: ZTW Gecko 65A ESC with 8A SBEC
    - BAT: 4S Admiral Pro 5000mAh
    - FC: Eagletree Vector, GPS, PSU
    - HDT: Fat Shark 9g 180* Pan Head Tracking Servo
    - Canopy: Custom build (Balsa & 1/8 Hobby Plywood, Plexiglass: Bayer)

RC
    - TX: FrSky X9D+ with 900MHz Long Range Module
    - RX: FrSky 900MHz R9

FPV 3.3GHz
    - CAM: RunCam Split 2
    - VTX: Finch 3.3-3.4GHz Racing Transmitter 50/200mW Coax V2
    - ANT: 3.3/3.4GHz BlueBeam ULTRA Antenna Set (RHCP) - VAS IBCRAZY

Ground station
    - Eagletree Eagle Eyes diversity box
    - VRX: Two R3300V2 3.3 GHz 16 Channels Pocket-Size Receivers
    - ANT1: 3.3/3.4GHz BlueBeam ULTRA Antenna Set (RHCP) - VAS IBCRAZY
    - ANT2: TrueRC 3.3/3.4GHz X2-Air 13dBic Directional Antenna (RHCP)
    - RPTR: FatShark 5.8ghz Repeater (Ant: Standard clover)
    - GGLS: FatShark Dominator V3 FPV Goggles
    - Goggles VRX: 5.8 GHz Furious True-D Diversity Receiver V1
    - Goggles ANT: Standard clover
    - Goggles HDT: FatShark Trinity Head Tracking module
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice, are you doing head tracking or just a control to pan the camera?

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
        Nice, are you doing head tracking or just a control to pan the camera?
        Yes, head tracking by Trinity module. Unfortunately Dominator goggles didn't come with it so i had to purchase it separately.. A lot of fun, and works excellent. Servo is important too, not all servos will give you smooth head tracking experience. I found out that a lot of them will have "jerking" effect but, Fatshark pan servo seem to work very good. I ordered couple 270* degree servos and those were terrible. Still have them and will try them with a control knob.

Comment

Right on, heres my P38 setup.:Cool:

Comment

Good to see another fixed wing FPV pilot, nice work on the vid! Have you thought about HD footage? I use runcam split I and II on all my FPV fixed wing aircraft.
            Have you tried 3.3ghz?

Comment

Ive thought about the HD cams, but just been too busy buying more planes before i remember i need to buy one.:Silly: lol. I havent yet tried 3.3 either, mostly because 5.8 is so simple to configure. Just plug in and go.

Comment

I forgot to mention that i was going to get P-38 too but, i never flown or had a jet so i got myself an EDF plane.
                If you ever go with HD, i would recommend runcam split. Worked really well for me.
                3.3 pretty much the same deal as 5.8. just have to get rx and tx.Hobby Wireless sells fatshark 3.3 rx. In my case, i used ground station and two 3.3 "pocket" receivers that are connected to eagle eyes. From eagle eyes, signal output to fatshark 25mw transmiter on 5.8 into my goggles. However, using this setup causes quality loss. I am not sure if it's due to too much equipment between 3.3 transmitter inside the model and 5.8 rx in the goggles, or is it just how the 3.3 works... got to test this out sometime.
                And speaking of 5.8. My first fpv fixed wing was a trainer Cessna on 2.4, spectrum radio. I was out in the mountains, just cruising around, i was using 200mw fpv tx and i lost signal to the cessna about 1 mile out. I didn't lose video though, it had a bit of static but still totally flyable. Took me 3 hours to find the plane. I thought it was funny how 2.4 gave up while i still had 5.8 video feed. I wonder, what is the power levels on a standard 2.4Mgz radio control transmitter?

Comment

Wow that was super cool. That p-47 is such a nice airplane.

I have got to get into FPV. I just need to find the time to research the gear.

Comment

Oh yeah, ive been happy with 5.8 gig units. Nice compact, easy to setup. I use fatshark attitudes. Whats nice is they come with most all the options i want. Im not sure but i think v4 may have a built in dvr. Anyway its a trip flying that way.

Comment

Yes, V4 comes with DVR built in and trinity head-tracking.

flyAA, if you are looking to get into FPV, don't go cheap on goggles. Goggles will "make or break" your FPV experience...
                      Goggles will be your most expensive purchase as far as FPV gear. Flight cam, video transmitter (VTX) and video receiver (VRX) you can get pretty cheap. 5.8 has been out for a while and very popular with drone pilots. Here is another thing to consider; if you looking to fly fixed wing airplanes, you might want goggles that are capable of 16:9 (wide screen). If you looking to get into drones, 4:3 is a good choice.
                      I fly 16:9 goggles, FatShark dominator v3 and Furious True-D Diversity Receiver Module 5.8GHz System v1. (v3 is already out)
                      One thing i found that is really annoying with Attitude v4, is that the receiver keeps falling out lol..They were my first FPV goggles. I flown my Cessna and that P-47 with V4... it was a blast. Switching to 16:9 dominators was interesting. Also, flight cams have aspect ratio as well. Some are 4:3 and some are 16:9.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam CS View Post
                        Yes, V4 comes with DVR built in and trinity head-tracking.
                        https://www.fatshark.com/product/att...adset-goggles/

flyAA, if you are looking to get into FPV, don't go cheap on goggles. Goggles will "make or break" your FPV experience...
                        Goggles will be your most expensive purchase as far as FPV gear. Flight cam, video transmitter (VTX) and video receiver (VRX) you can get pretty cheap. 5.8 has been out for a while and very popular with drone pilots. Here is another thing to consider; if you looking to fly fixed wing airplanes, you might want goggles that are capable of 16:9 (wide screen). If you looking to get into drones, 4:3 is a good choice.
                        I fly 16:9 goggles, FatShark dominator v3 and Furious True-D Diversity Receiver Module 5.8GHz System v1. (v3 is already out)
                        One thing i found that is really annoying with Attitude v4, is that the receiver keeps falling out lol..They were my first FPV goggles. I flown my Cessna and that P-47 with V4... it was a blast. Switching to 16:9 dominators was interesting. Also, flight cams have aspect ratio as well. Some are 4:3 and some are 16:9.

Sam
                        Thanks for the advice! I’d definitely be flying fixed wing. I’m not really into drones. Your video really stood out with its crisp picture so I’m definitely going to get some nice HD goggles. I’lol probably just copy your exact set up lol.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by flyAA View Post

Thanks for the advice! I’d definitely be flying fixed wing. I’m not really into drones. Your video really stood out with its crisp picture so I’m definitely going to get some nice HD goggles. I’lol probably just copy your exact set up lol.

Thanks!

flyAA, hold on, i don't want to mislead you. This is not an HD FPV system. I am using standard 5.8 analog. Its just my flight cam is Runcam Split which is your basic "HD action" cam designed for FPV. The footage you see in the video is recorded onboard in HD format, onto a flash card or also known as mini-memory card you have in your cell phone. The picture i see in my goggles is significantly reduced in resolution. Its the same picture only its 640x480
                          Here is a good example of what it looks like:

This vid was taken with Hyperion cam, not the Runcam Split but idea is the same and this is recording from my goggles DVR.

There are 2 systems available for FPV. HD and analog. HD systems are currently not worth the money IMO unless you are into pro-racing. They are overpriced and still being actively developed. Range is not that great either.
                          Here are some examples of HD systems. FPVBlue is very promissing... something i would be interested in upcoming years for sure:

or
                          Connex ProSight HD
                          Note: The Vision kit is now sold in separate parts, CONNEX ProSight HD Video Receiver, CONNEX ProSight HD Transmitter, CONNEX ProSight HD Camera. Introducing the CONNEX™ ProSight™ HD FPV Vision Kit for Drone Racing fe

You should do your own research to see what and how it works. Also, I am always happy to answer any questions you might have to help you understand how things work.
                          One thing to keep inmind regarding HD FPV is that when you lose your HD video signal while flying, the picture/frame freezes. It will unfreeze when you regain signal but, by that time it might be too late. With analog you still see the picture only with a lot of static. Even though you are receiving a very weak signal, you still can see where you are flying.
                          Another thing to keep in mind is that HD or analog use radio frequencies that require you to get HAM license. Currently (and i could be wrong unless something changed within 2018) we can fly without license on 5.8Ghz at 25mw of pwr max.(this is actualy enough to get you started in FPV) Getting HAM license is easy... very easy test. Most people just don't want to take the time and drive to the radio club lol.

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                            Right on, heres my P38 setup.:Cool:
                            Matt, what FC are you using? Mind sharing your setup in detail?
                            I used EagleTree Vector but, its a bit expensive.
                            I also found that Vector's PSU is very good at supplying power for your FPV needs and there are no noise at all. It peaks at 140amps max, don't remember what is normal operating range but i use it in all my FPV models.
                            I was looking at other OSD options... maybe something cheaper.

Comment

This isnt any FC just a skylark tiny osd. If i do a fc system i think from now on itll be a vector. The camera is a pan and tilt 700tvl fatshark system with a 600mw transmitter.

Comment

Thanks dude, i will have to check it out. I was hoping to find good OSD. Vector is a bit pricey. It's an awesome product and i totally love it, it's just pain on the ass to swap it between models.
                                The only problem i had with Vector is that it just wouldn't fly waypoints. I installed latest updates still no go. It looks like GPS is not updating as fast as the aircraft is turning so, it ends up chasing its tail in a circle.
                                Maybe later, during summer i will mess with it again.

Comment

Hey guys this is no longer a Eflight P-47 Razorback thread but a FPV thread that's where it should be.;)

Comment

flyAA, hold on, i don't want to mislead you. This is not an HD FPV system. I am using standard 5.8 analog. Its just my flight cam is Runcam Split which is your basic "HD action" cam designed for FPV. The footage you see in the video is recorded onboard in HD format, onto a flash card or also known as mini-memory card you have in your cell phone. The picture i see in my goggles is significantly reduced in resolution. Its the same picture only its 640x480

This vid was taken with Hyperion cam, not the Runcam Split but idea is the same and this is recording from my goggles DVR.

There are 2 systems available for FPV. HD and analog. HD systems are currently not worth the money IMO unless you are into pro-racing. They are overpriced and still being actively developed. Range is not that great either.
                                    Here are some examples of HD systems. FPVBlue is very promissing... something i would be interested in upcoming years for sure:

or
                                    Connex ProSight HD
                                    Note: The Vision kit is now sold in separate parts, CONNEX ProSight HD Video Receiver, CONNEX ProSight HD Transmitter, CONNEX ProSight HD Camera. Introducing the CONNEX™ ProSight™ HD FPV Vision Kit for Drone Racing fe

You should do your own research to see what and how it works. Also, I am always happy to answer any questions you might have to help you understand how things work.
                                    One thing to keep inmind regarding HD FPV is that when you lose your HD video signal while flying, the picture/frame freezes. It will unfreeze when you regain signal but, by that time it might be too late. With analog you still see the picture only with a lot of static. Even though you are receiving a very weak signal, you still can see where you are flying.
                                    Another thing to keep in mind is that HD or analog use radio frequencies that require you to get HAM license. Currently (and i could be wrong unless something changed within 2018) we can fly without license on 5.8Ghz at 25mw of pwr max.(this is actualy enough to get you started in FPV) Getting HAM license is easy... very easy test. Most people just don't want to take the time and drive to the radio club lol.
                                    Oh ok. I was under the impression the video you posted was what you are seeing through the goggles. I’ve always been intrigued by fpv but my sticking point is the picture quality. Living in an HD world I just can’t get past the low resolution fpv set ups. I guess I’m going to wait a while for the technology to catch up. I was ready to jump in head first when i thought your video was what you saw through your goggles lol.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Comment

Yes, the video i made is what you see through the goggles.

Comment

or
                                        Connex ProSight HD

BUMMER! I watched the p-47 hd footage and immediately wanted to buy the setup and put it on my mustang....but seeing the actual footage is really disappointing.....So amazing what difference there is...Hopefully hd will come on the market soon at a reasonable price.....

Comment

Working...
                                        X