You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Received very gatored Freewing P51D Old Crow: Not happy with MRC customer service

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received very gatored Freewing P51D Old Crow: Not happy with MRC customer service

I am writing this in the hopes that someone from Motion RC sees this and can offer an alternative. I would like to start by saying I have always received good customer service from Motion RC.

My wife bought me a Freewing P51D old crow as a birthday present. When I opened the package I noticed the fuselage was badly gatored. (See pictures) The wings and tail were fine. I posted up a picture of this on the RC Groups Freewing P51 thread. Someone posted a picture of a perfectly fine fuselage. I received a few PM's saying they have never seen one so bad before. I contacted MRC and opened up a ticket # T461464. I included the same pictures and requested a replacement plane. I received this email response from Martin:

Hello Robert,

I've asked the warehouse manager to check the stock in the warehouse. All the models he checked were in a similar condition to yours. These models are made from foam and the finish may have slight imperfections in the finish due to the nature of the material and the color of the paint. Silver for example will exaggerate any gator effect and make it look worse than it perhaps is.

With that in mind I can offer you a one of two options. I can offer you a store credit for $20.00 as a goodwill gesture. Or I can ask that you return the model and we will give you a store credit or a refund. Please let me know what you would like.

Regards,

------------------------------------
    Martin
    Customer Service Manager
    Motion RC

I received no apology and then was offered a complete BS excuse that it may look worse than it is because of the silver paint. The green was just as bad!! I also own several foam planes, including silver and they look nothing like this. Plus the wings and tail to this plane are fine!! I also find it a little difficult to believe that every single box was cut open and checked unless they only had a few left. AND if that was actually the case, why is MRC selling these with obvious defects? I wasn't looking for money so the $20 credit didn't satisfy me. Plus my wife spent a lot of money on a brand new plane as a gift and it should not have such a large obvious defect. I felt ripped off keeping it as it was not right and looked terrible.

Telling Martin I was not satisfied with those solutions, I asked when the next shipment was or if one could be sent from Motion RC Europe. I received this email in return:

Hi Robert,

The warehouse in Europe does not have this model in stock. However the cost of shipping one from Europe to the US would be prohibitive anyway, not mention any damage that may occur on the way. The next delivery that we are likely to have will be in about 6 weeks.

With regard to the one you have, I can offer you a return shipping label to return the model for a full refund or a store credit. If you have a printer I can send you a return shipping label by email.

Regards,

------------------------------------
    Martin
    Customer Service Manager
    Motion RC

That is fine that it is out of stock. It should have ended there. But yet 2 more BS excuses of the cost (not my problem, you sold me a defective plane) and that damage could occur? Really?? So how could it get more damaged coming from Europe than coming from China? And again just wanting to end the issue with offering me a refund. Also, in 6 weeks how can I be assured I won't be sent a left over damaged one again? Do they plan to check every box of the new shippment? I received no info. Once again I responded suggesting a new fuselage even though I don't really want to take the time to switch all of the parts out but if that is my only recourse then fine. But why did I have to suggest this and continue back and forth emails? Waiting for a reply.

At this point I am fed up with Martin. I am completely shocked he is the customer service manager. He has done nothing but attempt to quickly brush this problem away with a store credit or a refund. An exciting birthday present has turned into a complete hassle. My wife is also very upset. Can someone here at MRC help me out?? I have bought tons of stuff from you guys and love the brands you sell but this really turns me off and there are other places to shop.
    Last edited by Fallguy44; Nov 7, 2018, 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling

And for comparison, here is the plane that a user posted on RC Groups showing a smooth non-gatored fuselage.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like he offered twice to give you a refund...:Confused:
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
        Looks like he offered twice to give you a refund...:Confused:
        Yeah that's great. How about a new fuselage? How about offering to personally make sure I get an undamaged plane in 6 weeks, how about an apology for my inconvenience and time I've spent and them sending me a defective plane? How about not giving me BS excuses blaming the color of the foam for an obvious defect. You know, stuff a customer service manager should do.

Comment

It's kinda rare to get "gatored" stuff out of the box. I have had a few pieces unpacked that way. It's a bummer when you open the box for sure, but unfortunately, life is "really" like that. There is no perfection! But, I realize that your whole experience seems worse than the actual product. After many posts on the forum about "gatoring", which is more like "lizard skin", but "gator" sounds better than "lizarding"; It's been noted that once the bird is in the air, you don't see it anyway. I have sadly watched dark blue planes develop "goosebumps" in the sun! How is that biologically possible? I guess a replacement part granted to you, would make it right....Foam is sensitive...

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post
            It's kinda rare to get "gatored" stuff out of the box. I have had a few pieces unpacked that way. It's a bummer when you open the box for sure, but unfortunately, life is "really" like that. There is no perfection! But, I realize that your whole experience seems worse than the actual product. After many posts on the forum about "gatoring", which is more like "lizard skin", but "gator" sounds better than "lizarding"; It's been noted that once the bird is in the air, you don't see it anyway. I have sadly watched dark blue planes develop "goosebumps" in the sun! How is that biologically possible? I guess a replacement part granted to you, would make it right....Foam is sensitive...
            I don't expect perfection, especially from a foam plane. I own several. I also don't expect to receive an entire fuselage that is that bad from a brand new plane. It doesn't matter how it looks up in the air when it's not supposed to look like that on the ground. Full price was paid, it should not have a defect that large and obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallguy44 View Post

I don't expect perfection, especially from a foam plane. I own several. I also don't expect to receive an entire fuselage that is that bad from a brand new plane. It doesn't matter how it looks up in the air when it's not supposed to look like that on the ground. Full price was paid, it should not have a defect that large and obvious.
              You Got That Right....

Comment

That is an older plane and is probably close to end of life...if it was me I would take the refund and get something else.
                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                  That is an older plane and is probably close to end of life...if it was me I would take the refund and get something else.
                  Absolutely not the point. And close to the end of it's life? So what? They are getting more in 6 weeks. It's still a brand new plane in the box. And it's the plane I wanted. What you would do has no bearing on this discussion whatsoever.

Comment

Hi Robert. There is no way to sugar coat this. Your fuse is clearly a bit of a mess. Your fuse was exposed to excessive heat at some point but not the wing and stab otherwise they would look gatored too. I suspect something went wrong somewhere in the fuse manufacturing process. The fuse, wing, and stab are all part of the same mold so if something went wrong during the foam injection process, all parts would look bad. It makes me feel better this was not the problem. The white foam parts are all dried on shelving after they come out of the molds and await painting. The fuses dry on similar rolling shelving units after painting. I suspect the fuse was in front of a window on a sunny day at some point in the process. Sorry, I hope that is not too much inside baseball. I'm thinking out loud.

Anyway, I think there was some confusion on our part. I suspect our guys checked the spare fuses we have in stock as opposed to the actual planes. We have 3 spare fuses at the moment and more about to arrive. They could be inspected quickly. We have 35 Old Crow in stock and it takes about 15 minutes per plane to open it, inspect it, repack it, and put it back on the shelves which adds up to around 9 man hours to inspect them all. We will spend the time to check them all so we can add any like this to the scratch and dent section of our website and find you a good one in the process.

Clearly you want an acceptable plane and not a refund which I certainly appreciate. Would you like to swap the entire plane for a new one or just the PNP fuse? I'll talk to the guys in the morning and start the process of searching for a good one. Once we find one, I'll swap it or a portion of it with yours (your choice). I apologize for the misunderstanding. In Martin's defense, the pictures that come in through our ticket system appear smaller (lower resolution) so the gatoring does not look like what is posted here even though it is the same picture. I'll have to see if we can adjust that in our ticket system.

Thanks for your patience Robert and thanks for sticking with us. You are a great customer with a lot of orders and I really appreciate all your business. Please don't worry. One way or another we'll get you taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallguy44 View Post

Absolutely not the point. And close to the end of it's life? So what? They are getting more in 6 weeks. It's still a brand new plane in the box. And it's the plane I wanted. What you would do has no bearing on this discussion whatsoever.
                      I'm sure they will take care of you...hope it works out to your satisfaction.
                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Sometimes **** happens, it happened to me with an F-4 kit. The guys at Motion were Johnnies on the spot and I had a replacement within ten days. On the contrary, I have had bad luck with Hobby King, Banana, FMS and other smaller suppliers. Motion is tops!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
                          Hi Robert. There is no way to sugar coat this. Your fuse is clearly a bit of a mess. Your fuse was exposed to excessive heat at some point but not the wing and stab otherwise they would look gatored too. I suspect something went wrong somewhere in the fuse manufacturing process. The fuse, wing, and stab are all part of the same mold so if something went wrong during the foam injection process, all parts would look bad. It makes me feel better this was not the problem. The white foam parts are all dried on shelving after they come out of the molds and await painting. The fuses dry on similar rolling shelving units after painting. I suspect the fuse was in front of a window on a sunny day at some point in the process. Sorry, I hope that is not too much inside baseball. I'm thinking out loud.

Anyway, I think there was some confusion on our part. I suspect our guys checked the spare fuses we have in stock as opposed to the actual planes. We have 3 spare fuses at the moment and more about to arrive. They could be inspected quickly. We have 35 Old Crow in stock and it takes about 15 minutes per plane to open it, inspect it, repack it, and put it back on the shelves which adds up to around 9 man hours to inspect them all. We will spend the time to check them all so we can add any like this to the scratch and dent section of our website and find you a good one in the process.

Clearly you want an acceptable plane and not a refund which I certainly appreciate. Would you like to swap the entire plane for a new one or just the PNP fuse? I'll talk to the guys in the morning and start the process of searching for a good one. Once we find one, I'll swap it or a portion of it with yours (your choice). I apologize for the misunderstanding. In Martin's defense, the pictures that come in through our ticket system appear smaller (lower resolution) so the gatoring does not look like what is posted here even though it is the same picture. I'll have to see if we can adjust that in our ticket system.

Thanks for your patience Robert and thanks for sticking with us. You are a great customer with a lot of orders and I really appreciate all your business. Please don't worry. One way or another we'll get you taken care of.
                          Tom thank you. I would love an another entire plane if you guys are able to check before shipping that would be great. I said that on the ticket from the very beginning and didn't think you guys would be opening all of your planes and found it strange that everyone of them would be defective. That's a pretty big piece of miscommunication but I'm relieved that's not the case.

Greatly appreciated you reaching out and look forward to hearing from you about a replacement.

Comment

Kudos Tom! THAT is the MotionRC cutomer service I was expecting for this customer. :Cool:

Comment

Hi Robert, I met with Martin a few minutes ago to bring him up to speed. Martin will be sending you an email in a few minutes. Here in the warehouse, we are currently looking through our stock.

Comment

Tom, kudos to you and MRC for stepping up for this customer... not that I had any doubts. I want to say one thing quickly only because I had quite an experience with Martin a while back and since the job he does was kind of questioned I thought it was a good platform to do so. I have a 70mm Hawk from you guys and had a control horn break. These are very strange control horns and I could not find them on your website and I had none that were close enough to make work. I contacted MRC and they sent me a part# to order... it was wrong. I contacted them again and they sent me another part#... it was wrong. By this time, I was obviously getting a bit frustrated over a control horn. Martin got involved and concurred it was not currently a serviceable part so he went through some customer returns (defective returns maybe?) and found a wing to pull the horn off of. He returned my money spent on the wrong control horns and sent me the one from the plane he found. While it shouldn't have had to get to Martin, once it did he took care of it one way or another! So, while Martin can seem very nonchalant on the phone, he certainly is another example of great MRC service!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
                                  Hi Robert, I met with Martin a few minutes ago to bring him up to speed. Martin will be sending you an email in a few minutes. Here in the warehouse, we are currently looking through our stock.
                                  Appreciate it Tom, thank you.

Comment

Hey Fallguy, what are you going to do with the gatored plane, after you get the new one?
                                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

He will have to return it.
                                      AMA 424553

Comment

This gatored plane, along with the other Old Crow P-51 we are finding, will be in our scratch and dent section in the coming days.

Comment

Working...
                                        X