Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Grover, I noticed your H 9 P-51 is featured in Model Airplane News this month. Haven't had a chance to read it but there might be some tips in there as well.:Cool:

Comment

• Good god, if im wrong please correct me, is this a corsair thread? I love my mustangs dearly, but i look to that thread to see mustangs, this one for my beloved f4u.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
        Good god, if im wrong please correct me, is this a corsair thread? I love my mustangs dearly, but i look to that thread to see mustangs, this one for my beloved f4u.
        LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLWhat a "NOOB". LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hi elbee, im kinda new to the forum. Im so gracious for you guys sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Good god, if im wrong please correct me, is this a corsair thread? I love my mustangs dearly, but i look to that thread to see mustangs, this one for my beloved f4u.
            Easy there, big boy! It started off because someone is using the motor from this Corsair in another plane, so in that sense, it was a Corsair topic. But like most things, it took off and got a life of its own. It's not unlike when someone wondered if the retracts from another plane could be used on this Corsair. Did that make it off topic? It's not a big deal. We're all kinda like family here and sometimes, uncle Ernie needs to ask if he can pour some scotch at the family dinner table. We've taken it to PM, so you can untie those knots in your panties. They obviously were starting the chafe.

Comment

• No knots, just alot of info, kinda confusions a noob moron like me, no offense to anyone honestly .

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                Easy there, big boy! It started off because someone is using the motor from this Corsair in another plane, so in that sense, it was a Corsair topic. But like most things, it took off and got a life of its own. It's not unlike when someone wondered if the retracts from another plane could be used on this Corsair. Did that make it off topic? It's not a big deal. We're all kinda like family here and sometimes, uncle Ernie needs to ask if he can pour some scotch at the family dinner table. We've taken it to PM, so you can untie those knots in your panties. They obviously were starting the chafe.
                I just put together, and cutomized a v8 mustang, follow both threads closely, and like i said im not to bright, i dont want to make anyone upset...sorry

Comment

• Uncle Ernie gets a few digs, too. LOL

Comment

Hi Elbee, I'm kinda new to the forum. I'm so gracious for you guys sharing your knowledge.
                    Drake, You know I was tuggin' on ya a little with all due respect, sir, 'cause of your avatar quote. ;)Glad you're on board. :Cool:Post lots of pictures of your build. :)All the best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Whoo...thanks man, im old and not to tech savy.. i was a little worried i offended a mentor...by the way i might be celebrating my official intro into old age today...

Comment

• The intro to the old age ship sailed a long time ago for me. :Crying:

Comment

• Hey stop by anytime you come south to idaho.

Comment

• SOUTH is SW FLORIDA!!!
                            :)LOL:Cool:

Comment

Whoo...thanks man, im old and not to tech savy.. i was a little worried i offended a mentor...by the way i might be celebrating my official intro into old age today...
                              Welcome noob! There's always a little friendly b- busting going on here so don't take any offense. And as far as getting old it's only a state of mind and if your still wanting to get into rc then the young boy is still there. Have fun and enjoy!;)

Comment

I don't think George addressed this specific question of mine so I'll pose it here. When you put on the 4-blade from the FMS Corsair, did the hex hole on the back plate match up with the hex nut on the motor shaft adapter? I found the hex nut was smaller than the hole. Did you do anything to ensure that the prop would not slip?
                                Hey Viper, I posted some comments about this a while back, but I don't know exactly where it is... so I'll just go over it again.
                                I was inspired when George (TI) showed off his, so I decided to do it.
                                This project was frustrating... it was not easy but it can be done. Its definitely not a simple bolt-on.

I ordered the prop blades and adapter through MRC, but the hub wasn't available. I was able to order that directly from FMS, I also got one on ebay. (I wanted an extra set)
                                Once I checked it out, my plan was to install the FMS adapter but it doesn't have the same bolt spacing and won't fit on the OEM MRC motor without major modification.
                                It won't work! So unless you change the motor, you pretty much have to use the original MRC prop adapter. (I have two FMS prop adapters if anyone wants to buy them!!)

OK so the FMS and the MRC prop adapter have the same diameter shaft and threads. The FMS adapter uses a big metal nut, and the hub cover acts like a lock nut.

Now, yes indeed, the hex-shaped recess in the hub is slightly too big. So the FMS prop hub won't lock on the MRC prop adapter! It spins freely.
                                George told me that it wasn't really necessary to lock it, and I agree - when you tighten everything up, its very secure.
                                However, what I did was carefully add 3-4 layers of masking tape to the hex-part on the adapter, to make it slightly bigger.
                                I just felt better about it that way. Viola, the prop locks into place perfectly.

Last thing - the FMS 4-blade hub is thicker than the MRC 3-bladed hub. So, when you screw on the big FMS prop nut, guess what? The threaded part of the MRC prop adapter is slightly shorter than the FMS one as well, so there's not enough thread left over to install and tighten the decorative hub! This stumped me for a few days. What I did was shave off about 1/8 from the back of the decorative hub, this makes it slightly shorter so the internal threads can grab onto the shaft. (It wasn't easy, I had to be very careful so the hub was still flat (otherwise it would have wobbled).

When I was all done, I painted the FMS 4-bladed hub and spinner silver and weathered it a bit.

Taa Daa….

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190330_215320.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	187554
                                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• ^Thanks for the detailed answer. I found the same thing but thought maybe I missed something since it was indicated it was a direct "bolt on". I was going to just clamp the FMS prop down tightly with some FoamTac but then like you, I found the big spinner cone didn't have much to grab onto. I guess one could just fly it without the nose cone but it just doesn't look right. I was even hoping the prop adapter from the FMS Corsair would bolt onto the motor of the FL Corsair but not a chance. I'm not confident enough to shave the underside of the FMS prop hub.

Comment

Drake - I appreciate your concern on this being an "exclusive" Corsair thread and it predominately is as a principle matter but there are a lot of questions and recommendations associated to the FL 1600mm Corsair that relate or can contribute to other aircraft and / or their respective configuration(s). Please be patient because there's a lot of valuable information here across the board but if something is not applicable to your specific interest feel free to just jump to the next posting. Regardless, as I've said in one of my first postings in this forum ...don't worry...I've stepped on my dick in the beginning too but the guys here are very forgiving and welcome all.... :Cool:

Comment

• I had an extra motor and prop from my HSD Sky Raider and just changed out the motor and prop for the 4-blade prop from the Sky Raider. Fits like an hand-in glove. Cannot wait to see ow this modification flies.

Comment

Whoo...thanks man, im old and not to tech savy.. i was a little worried i offended a mentor...by the way i might be celebrating my official intro into old age today...
                                        Oh, then :Cake: Happy "40th" Birthday, Drake. :Party: Best, :Smoking: LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

^Thanks for the detailed answer. I found the same thing but thought maybe I missed something since it was indicated it was a direct "bolt on". I was going to just clamp the FMS prop down tightly with some FoamTac but then like you, I found the big spinner cone didn't have much to grab onto. I guess one could just fly it without the nose cone but it just doesn't look right. I was even hoping the prop adapter from the FMS Corsair would bolt onto the motor of the FL Corsair but not a chance. I'm not confident enough to shave the underside of the FMS prop hub.
                                          It wasn't too hard - I used a belt sander. On my first try I shaved too much off - but I had two cones, and I was more careful with the second one!
                                          Afterwards I measured it and the shaved FMS cone is the same height as the original MRC prop cone.

I had 4 flights my first time out, and everything held together. The 4-blade prop's solid and works well in terms of functionality and performance.

Here's another pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_101757.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	187608
                                          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X