X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
    I call it my landing approach throttle setting beep. I drop the gear and flaps on downwind then drop the throttle on base, rather than final, to a preset beep around 30% instead of 20%. It's a higher percentage than what's been stated but the plane has a little more time to bleed off airspeed. In this scenario, I can leave it at this throttle setting 'til main gear touch down and then slowly pull back the throttle for the tailwheel to settle and let it slow down before trying to turn the plane around. For me,landings are more consistant this way. Also, at the higher setting, I don't have to worry so much about a torque roll if I have to throttle up for a go around but what ever works.:Cool:
    That sounds like great way to approach landing this Corsair, thanks for sharing, I'll definitely give it a try. Did anyone notice on the AMA video and article in Model Aviation on the Flight Line Corsair that Andrew Griffin leaves his throttle at 40% for a smooth glide slope? I guess whatever works for you.:Cool:
    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Finally got in some flights! Did four shorties this evening. My landings were a little bouncy but not enough to worry about. After my last 6 min flight I pulled the wings and prop off to take it home. I picked up my temp gun and the motor registered 107. Thought that was pretty good. I now have 46 flights on it.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

That sounds like great way to approach landing this Corsair, thanks for sharing, I'll definitely give it a try. Did anyone notice on the AMA video and article in Model Aviation on the Flight Line Corsair that Andrew Griffin leaves his throttle at 40% for a smooth glide slope? I guess whatever works for you.:Cool:
        After my flights today I would agree that a 30-40% setting should be used. But I do lower the throttle till it beeps and that way I know it around 25%, but I do increase it a little. To about 30-40. I guess the beep helps remind me to not go any lower.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

That big radial cowl, prop, radiator intakes and gear doors all create a huge frontal drag...add those beautiful flaps, and you have to carry power to touchdown. Not optional! ;)

Comment

• LOLFrom a multiple Corsair breaker! In my younger days, of course! ;)

Comment

• BTW, if ya’ll think the FL Corsair has fragile gear, try flying the Tower scale Corsair with mechanical gear... no forgiveness and almost impossible to replace is you get it wrong...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                BTW, if ya’ll think the FL Corsair has fragile gear, try flying the Tower scale Corsair with mechanical gear... no forgiveness and almost impossible to replace is you get it wrong...
                Hardway: If you mean the top Flite 60 ARF Corsair, I used electric retracts from the beginning.

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post

Hardway: If you mean the top Flite 60 ARF Corsair, I used electric retracts from the beginning.

Tom
                  No, it was the Flyzone Select Scale foamy. I should have been clearer, but I couldn’t remember the name brand! :Silly:

Comment

• Bonjour à tous.
                    Je viens de terminer le montage de mon Corsair, mais après vérification de l'ensemble, je me suis aperçu que mon moteur n'est pas monté droit. De ce fait, l'hélice n'est pas parallèle au capot du fuselage (2mm de différence par rapport au capot moteur). Pensez-vous que cela aura une incidence sur le vol de l'avion?
                    Merci d'avance, Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian62580 View Post
                      Bonjour à tous.
                      Je viens de terminer le montage de mon Corsair, mais après vérification de l'ensemble, je me suis aperçu que mon moteur n'est pas monté droit. De ce fait, l'hélice n'est pas parallèle au capot du fuselage (2mm de différence par rapport au capot moteur). Pensez-vous que cela aura une incidence sur le vol de l'avion?
                      Merci d'avance, Christian.

Christian62580, je crois que "Offset" est intential. J'ai intégré 2 degrés de "compensation" dans tous mes avions à hélices pour contrer le couple de l'hélice en rotation. Envolez votre Corsair avec l'offset et examinez l'effet. Meilleur, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Christian62580, je crois que "Offset" est intential. J'ai intégré 2 degrés de "compensation" dans tous mes avions à hélices pour contrer le couple de l'hélice en rotation. Envolez votre Corsair avec l'offset et examinez l'effet. Meilleur, LB
                        Merci beaucoup pour ce conseil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Md_cobra View Post

After my flights today I would agree that a 30-40% setting should be used. But I do lower the throttle till it beeps and that way I know it around 25%, but I do increase it a little. To about 30-40. I guess the beep helps remind me to not go any lower.
                          idk, at the beginning if the down wind leg I go to what I think is a flap level flight setting on the throttle. then add flap to hold the nose up till its all in, then I should have to hold just a smidge of elevator pressure to hold it level. if it does not follow that path my throttle is wrong and I adjust. then perform a descending down wind turn. once pointed down the runway is decision time, I can relax the e hold and fly it down (if there is wind) or throttle back hold the nose up and use the throttle to meter decent. 90% of landings are somewhere between these two. my fear is that the beep would in some form (having never tried it) take my focus off what the plane is telling me during the landing.

Joe
                          Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Hey Joe, like you, I've been flying along time starting with control line planes. But in the old glow fuel days you could depend on the sound of that McCoy or later O.S. to tell you what your throttle setting was. These electrics are much harder that way so using the timer beep is a good reality check to make sure your in the right neighborhood throttle wise. I would suggest trying it out on a fun fly plane first to see what you think before going to the Corsair. Just a thought.:Cool:

Comment

• Maiden flight tomorrow, getting excited
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	7134E4BD-DE14-464B-9BD0-06FAF264B31A.jpeg
Views:	805
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	201759
                              Tolga
                              Instagram: @_t01ga_
                              YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Good luck and Happy Landings! She sure looks the part! :Cool:
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                  Good luck and Happy Landings! She sure looks the part! :Cool:
                                  Thanks Aros, will report back tomorrow!
                                  Tolga

Comment

• t01ga, looks like you actually did the research on how Corsairs weathered! Well done. I can't think of another plane offhand that wore in the wing root area like that, corresponding to the subframe. Having the zinc chromate show through first is a nice touch (you must be a plastic modeler as well, or at least looked in on how those guys do it!).

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
                                      t01ga, looks like you actually did the research on how Corsairs weathered! Well done. I can't think of another plane offhand that wore in the wing root area like that, corresponding to the subframe. Having the zing chromate show through first is a nice touch (you must be a plastic modeler as well, or at least looked in on how those guys do it!).
                                      I agree...It's an often overlooked weathering technique on these Corsairs and why it was a thrill to see it done. When I got my first pre-production glimpse of these new Corsairs, one of my first thoughts is "Oh man, the weathering potential on that Birdcage is through the roof!" I am so pleased to see many going to town on theirs.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
                                        t01ga, looks like you actually did the research on how Corsairs weathered! Well done. I can't think of another plane offhand that wore in the wing root area like that, corresponding to the subframe. Having the zing chromate show through first is a nice touch (you must be a plastic modeler as well, or at least looked in on how those guys do it!).
                                        Thanks buddy. I am not a plastic modeller but you are absolutely right. I took many aspirations from how the plastic models are being weathered. Those guys know their stuff however most of the time their techniques doesn’t translate into foam. That is our challenge. My latest 3 warbird weatherings has been an immense learning curve.
                                        Tolga

Comment

• Originally posted by t01ga View Post
                                          Maiden flight tomorrow, getting excited
                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	7134E4BD-DE14-464B-9BD0-06FAF264B31A.jpeg
Views:	805
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	201759
                                          That is a work of art! Absolutely stunning!

Comment

Working...
                                          X