Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the post on auto trim. I never knew about this function. Is there some place I could read more on this function? Appreciate the help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
      Thanks for the post on auto trim. I never knew about this function. Is there some place I could read more on this function? Appreciate the help.
      Auto-trim? I must have missed that. Where is this posted? I'm not sure what this is.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Auto-trim? I must have missed that. Where is this posted? I'm not sure what this is.
        I think that's what you call it if your trim is way out and you bury it in the ground and then say I auto trimmed it better!
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I think that's what you call it if your trim is way out and you bury it in the ground and then say I auto trimmed it better!
          LOL But seriously, is it a "thing"? :Confused:

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post

LOL But seriously, is it a "thing"? :Confused:
            I'd have to bet serious dough that it is not a "thing", but then again I was raised in a barn so what do I know.:Loser: If it exists, I gotta get it, along with full auto pilot, so I can sit in a reclining chair while I watch it fly itself allowing me to smoke my cigar in one hand and pour some Crown Royal with the other. Hopefully it will also come with verbal commands.:Ligthbulb: (But guaranteed it won't be in English :Angry:)
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• NO!!! LOL It is in the flight mode programming for a DX-9. You can set up flight modes and have it move the trims for take off flaps, landing flaps, gear down, etc. I don't use it. The flight mode switch on mine is used for the flap setting. UP, TAKEOFF, and LANDING FLAPS, but you can set the trims in each mode to compensate for the changes if you like....

Comment

• Hugh, you make me smile Bro!!!! :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I'd have to bet serious dough that it is not a "thing", but then again I was raised in a barn so what do I know.:Loser: If it exists, I gotta get it, along with full auto pilot, so I can sit in a reclining chair while I watch it fly itself allowing me to smoke my cigar in one hand and pour some Crown Royal with the other. Hopefully it will also come with verbal commands.:Ligthbulb: (But guaranteed it won't be in English :Angry:)
                  Hugh, I'm trying to figure out how to get my plane to fly with "Alexa" or "Google Skyjack". Like you, I think it would be great to be able to sit back and suck on a beer and crunch chips and just tell the plane what I want it to do. No more crashes and no more butt clenching.

Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                  NO!!! LOL It is in the flight mode programming for a DX-9. You can set up flight modes and have it move the trims for take off flaps, landing flaps, gear down, etc. I don't use it. The flight mode switch on mine is used for the flap setting. UP, TAKEOFF, and LANDING FLAPS, but you can set the trims in each mode to compensate for the changes if you like....
                  Ahhhh, someone who was paying attention and knows how to quote stuff (for reference). I knew it would be you. :Cool: "Auto-trim" is a bit of a mis-nomer and misled me into thinking there was a device out there like the Spektrum SAFE and auto-land programming. "Flight modes" is more accurate, since the pilot still has to throw a switch. "Auto-trim" would be like having a very responsive gyro on higher gain that would immediately compensate for any CG change due to things like retracts coming and going. Quite frankly, such devices are great for unexpected things like wind gusts, but for retracts changing the CG, having something compensate just makes for pilots on a very slow learning curve. You know the retracts are about to operate since you just threw the switch. It's easy to learn how to compensate for that. If that's too problematic, perhaps the "Alexa" thing isn't so far fetched. :Silly:

Comment

• I have an autopilot on several of my planes that will bring the airplane back to me and circle overhead until I switch it to do something different.
                    it has saved a couple of airplanes for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cws View Post
                      I have an autopilot on several of my planes that will bring the airplane back to me and circle overhead until I switch it to do something different.
                      it has saved a couple of airplanes for me.
                      I also have the Turnigy T1000 and the Bigaole in several my planes, but this “auto trim” these folks are talking about has to do with flipping a switch to compensate for changes in CG when the retracts are in different states of deployment.

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey I need some help please. Have any of you changed out the retract unit? One of mine has a cracked case and I want to switch it out. So, first thing I did was try to remove the gear leg. I took out two grub screws successfully. There is a plastic sleeve around the leg but as far as I can tell, there's nothing holding the leg onto the pin besides those two grub screws. So why won't it come off? It won't budge, or rotate. I can't heat it (because the plastic sleeves will melt) :Thinking:
                        I just removed the strut from one of my retracts. I held the motor firmly with my left hand and firmly twisted the strut (at the wheel) from the connecting pin. It took a moderate amount of force but came free.

While I had the strut off I removed the phillips screw that keeps the inner shaft in the outer strut, removed the spring and lubed the spring with dry lube and worked it in and out until it worked more freely.

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post

I just removed the strut from one of my retracts. I held the motor firmly with my left hand and firmly twisted the strut (at the wheel) from the connecting pin. It took a moderate amount of force but came free.

While I had the strut off I removed the phillips screw that keeps the inner shaft in the outer strut, removed the spring and lubed the spring with dry lube and worked it in and out until it worked more freely.

Tom
                          Thanks Tom, I'll try that next time I guess, if I break the case again. Since the plastic case is the weak point, I think it probably will happen again at some point (but I will try to make the best landings I can).
                          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• TMD, most of my problems have been with the jack screw getting bent causing a very jittery deployment. As you noted, I also need to improve my landings.

Tom

Comment

• Had four, four minute flights today all on the same battery (6000 mah HRB). Two of the four landings it bounced once and landed, one landing it bounced three times. The last landing was perfect so called it a day. Nothing damaged.
                              Seems making a shallow approach with 25% power until over the runway works better than a steep approach. At least for me.
                              Didn't use flaps at all. Maybe a 2 mph wind down the runway.
                              Very pleased now that I'm getting used to it.

Tom

Comment

• I also had several successful flights today, to break in my repaired LG. I used the time to practice landings. This plane is a real *****cat but it seems to do best when it is "driven in" instead of floating in slowly. My best landings were made when I came in under low throttle (perhaps 25%), touched down on two wheels, then cut the power. I was flying in heavy wind today so I only used half flaps.
                                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• I see that with heavy winds you need to carry more throttle until touching down. Where with very light or no wind you can cut throttle sooner and let her settle on the mains unless you're too high and she would stall.

Tom

Comment

• I flew my Bubble Top four complete flights today, which made it to flight #5 and can say in the air it's smooth as silk and a joy to fly. I had a couple of good no bounce landings and a one {1} foot drop in, thankfully no damage. Just got too slow at the end of a long drawn out glide. My main problem is with takeoffs, my tail comes up too quick and I can see the prop getting dangerously close to cutting grass and digging up dirt. which I must admit I did chew up some grass. I fly taildraggers all the time and don't have this much trouble. How are you guys handling the take off roll in particular the application of throttle and e?
                                    I started flying models in the 50's with control line then learned to fly RC while stationed at Clark AB, Republic of the Philippines in 1976. I've flown lots of different kinds of RC since then. Some birds today are just too fast for my old reflexes and eyes. I really like this electric plane stuff though and this EPO foam is something else.
                                    Any suggestions you can give will be graciously appreciated.
                                    Hoyt M

Comment

• Welcome Spirit of 76 to the Squawk. You might try a little up elevator to keep the the tail pinned down until you get up enough speed then ease off just before you rotate. Good flying!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	B8D5934C-C2D1-4783-BC90-277F9C3BDEE7.jpeg
Views:	751
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	205773Click image for larger version

Name:	3656D2EE-FCBE-4F89-B745-88C37C698090.jpeg
Views:	752
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	205772Click image for larger version

Name:	2AB68E08-67F3-43FB-B3C6-BFC0AA6ACEB3.jpeg
Views:	728
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	205771Click image for larger version

Name:	26C26AFA-548E-4105-A17C-3AB5FC5BE396.jpeg
Views:	755
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	205770Click image for larger version

Name:	3B09D895-263E-4378-8D40-9A1B89DCA841.jpeg
Views:	707
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	205769Click image for larger version

Name:	ADC207D3-A76D-46AE-8E5A-D57784C15461.jpeg
Views:	702
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	205768Click image for larger version

Name:	FE4AB087-F8BE-417D-975E-58032C6823EF.jpeg
Views:	683
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	205766Click image for larger version

Name:	F7B77405-3FA4-47D1-A84E-43B03862132B.jpeg
Views:	721
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	205767 Maidened my Birdcage yesterday. Had 4 flights altogether and I loved every minute. This is a “must have” plane!!!
                                        Tolga
                                        Instagram: @_t01ga_
                                        YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Nice plane t01ga! Nice weathering job.'m

Comment

Working...
                                          X