Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't ya just hate when that happens? Damn! With this plane, I usually drop to full flaps(with the delay) on the downwind, about the same time as dropping the gear and the two functions kind of offset each other with no surprises on final.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
      ...I was throttling back up to compensate, but didn’t get on the throttle aggressively enough. She tip stalled about 6’ off the ground and did a somersault landing. Man! Was I ever mad at myself for dumb-thumbing that approach so badly. Cracked the wing in the saddle. It’ll be an easy Foam Tac repair. My pride is damaged waaaaaay more than the plane.
      Been there brother! Mine was about 3 feet AGL...Wasn't being as attentive as I should always be, and she hit stall speed. Dropped like a brick and destroyed the gear. Nobody's fault but mine. This model will lull you into complacency really quick because she really is an easy flyer but boy she does bite if you're not careful, especially with full flaps!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post

Been there brother! Mine was about 3 feet AGL...Wasn't being as attentive as I should always be, and she hit stall speed. Dropped like a brick and destroyed the gear. Nobody's fault but mine. This model will lull you into complacency really quick because she really is an easy flyer but boy she does bite if you're not careful, especially with full flaps!
        Yep, I saw the speed and altitude dropping off, but didn’t feel the urgency to get on the throttle. Then, the tip dipped, and that was all she wrote. With that big airfoil, I guess I felt that I still had some margin over stall speed. She told me differently.
        ---
        Warbirder

Comment

• A reminder with any Corsair...With full flaps (especially the deflection I prefer) boy you had better compensate with power or, ouch. I land with no less than 25% power and usually a bit more with full flaps.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

I'll double down on that comment but just make it 2050mm to keep the elitists that still hold on to the defunct IMAA rules for their large scale events off our backs .
            Glad I never worry or even have to think about any of that. I fly from home and have a 350ft asphalt runway :)

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post

I test flew my black horse Macchi200 (2m ws) this weekend and had it at the field Friday and Sunday. Friday the guys said they had changed the rule to allow smaller planes in. then Sunday one of the guys while fondling it in my van said "to bad its to small for the annual fly in" i'll worry about that next year.

Charlie I hope you are coming to the warbird event on sept 21?

Joe
              It's on my calendar just hope I have some warbirds remaining after I get done with the NEAT Fair the week beforehand
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post

I test flew my black horse Macchi200 (2m ws) this weekend and had it at the field Friday and Sunday. Friday the guys said they had changed the rule to allow smaller planes in. then Sunday one of the guys while fondling it in my van said "to bad its to small for the annual fly in" i'll worry about that next year.

Joe
                The Fest of Giants has changed to allow 2m wingspan for monoplanes. AMA has no official standard for giant scale. After IMAA disolved, I asked AMA about it and was told that each club can set thier own standard for giant scale clasification (within reason). So we did to encourage participation by those getting into the 2m size birds. It has worked so far. We plan to keep it that way. Turnout has been good and I've heard no complaints from pilots that have been coming for the last 34 years.

A 2m Corsair would be nice for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post
                  Glad I never worry or even have to think about any of that. I fly from home and have a 350ft asphalt runway :)
                  Wow! You have a paved 350ft runway at your home? Mine's 800ft but definitely not paved! Well done!

Comment

• Its probably in here somewhere in the 165 pages. But, I think I will use the shortest approach to an answer is a question method.
                    Does anyone know what the paint color/code is for the bubble top. My canopy ran over my flightline corsair when a puff of wind came up and decided that my shelter canopy should participate in the fly-in. One of the legs just barely scraped over a wing but enough to lift the paint. Anyway, color or paint code for bubble top.
                    Thanks.
                    Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by benjack71 View Post
                      Does anyone know what the paint color/code is for the bubble top.
                      Thanks.
                      Ben
                      Hey Ben, many of us have gone to the Depot for color-matched paint "samples" - you can take a piece of the plane in (like the fin for example) and they'll scan it and sell you a little 8oz bottle of color-matched Behr paint. The process works excellent, but its hit or miss whether you get an exactly perfect match but usually its very close. I have done this more than a dozen times (for many models).

The FW Corsair and Tigercat have the same paint. I used satin finish, not matte - and this shade worked really well for me but it does have a very slight shine (if you don't want that, then the matte finish might be a better choice)

This is what I would call it a 98% match, its very close. The code on the cap is:
                      Base: UL223 (satin)
                      BL 198
                      EL 75
                      KXL 54
                      VUL 8

Some of us have also used a clear coat (like Minwax Polyacrylic water-based spray) to protect the paint. I did that on my P61 with very good results.
                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Hey Ben, many of us have gone to the Depot for color-matched paint "samples" - you can take a piece of the plane in (like the fin for example) and they'll scan it and sell you a little 8oz bottle of color-matched Behr paint. The process works excellent, but its hit or miss whether you get an exactly perfect match but usually its very close. I have done this more than a dozen times (for many models).

The FW Corsair and Tigercat have the same paint. I used satin finish, not matte - and this shade worked really well for me but it does have a very slight shine (if you don't want that, then the matte finish might be a better choice)

This is what I would call it a 98% match, its very close. The code on the cap is:
                        Base: UL223 (satin)
                        BL 198
                        EL 75
                        KXL 54
                        VUL 8

Some of us have also used a clear coat (like Minwax Polyacrylic water-based spray) to protect the paint. I did that on my P61 with very good results.
                        Thank you. I have tried to do that at depot, menards, lowes, walmart. And I mean at different locations as well. Same result. A eye roll, no attempt to even scan my color and basically leaving me with the walk around and try to find something close yourself. I keep reading about these magical places who will scan your color and mix you a match, and even sale you the 8oz bottle. I have been told they could do that but they would have to sell me a minimum one gallon of paint. In other words just a brush off. So thank you for providing me with this code from home depot i assume.
                        I have done the clear coat with minwax and also some non yellowing two part epoxy as well. It is a good thing to do!

Comment

• Second set of eyes Needed. Getting ready for the maiden tomorrow. I did paint the plane (weathered that is)... same as base tones... Using Robart Wheels. I have all the factory ballast in. And still needed 3.25 Oz in the nose.

Check out the pics...

With gear down she is rather nose heavy..... but with gear up at like 96 mm she rests just slightly down..

Let me know guys.

Thanks.
                          Attached Files
                          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                            Second set of eyes Needed. Getting ready for the maiden tomorrow. I did paint the plane (weathered that is)... same as base tones... Using Robart Wheels. I have all the factory ballast in. And still needed 3.25 Oz in the nose.

Check out the pics...

With gear down she is rather nose heavy..... but with gear up at like 96 mm she rests just slightly down..

Let me know guys.

Thanks.
                            Everyone seems to have their own favorite flying CG conditions, but I fly my Corsair at 97mm with the gear down, and 105mm with it up. For me, it flies perfect, easy two point landings and no ballooning during flight, just rock solid. I also have the Robarts, plus a sound system, the large warbirds pilot with a servo and 5 coats of spar urethane so my bird is a little heavy to begin with. Have all 6 weights in the cowl along with another 5 ounces in the front of the battery tray, so I didn't want to add any more weight to get where you (and others) are flying it. Inverted I still have to use a slight amount of down elevator to keep it level so I'm very happy with it at that CG, but to each his own.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Everyone seems to have their own favorite flying CG conditions, but I fly my Corsair at 97mm with the gear down, and 105mm with it up. For me, it flies perfect, easy two point landings and no ballooning during flight, just rock solid. I also have the Robarts, plus a sound system, the large warbirds pilot with a servo and 5 coats of spar urethane so my bird is a little heavy to begin with. Have all 6 weights in the cowl along with another 5 ounces in the front of the battery tray, so I didn't want to add any more weight to get where you (and others) are flying it. Inverted I still have to use a slight amount of down elevator to keep it level so I'm very happy with it at that CG, but to each his own.
                              Thanks man!!! Really appreciate this group!!!!
                              Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Well, I finally got my Corsair ready to fly again, after executing a perfect somersault landing, a week ago. I'd fractured both wings near the root, broke the carbon spar, and broke one of the prop blades. The wing fractures healed up nicely with Foam Tac and some tape to keep the cracks in compression while the FT cured. I also ran 3 bamboo skewers through both wing hubs and into the wing, to add some extra strength/support to the fractured locations. I am pleased with the repair. The wing feels really strong. I need to make a Home Depot run sometime soon, to get some color-match paint, to touch up the repaired areas. Or maybe, I'll hit with some silver and call it operational degradation. The Pacific Theater is tough on metal aircraft!

I love the prop hub assembly!!! I've whined a few times about the plastic backplates cracking on my FL P-38 and Mossie. The hub/backplate on the Corsair looks really strong. Thanks, Alpha and Motion for designing a really strong prop hub/backplate!!!!

I've learned my hard lesson about landing the Corsair. If I'm dropping full flaps, by God, be prompt on the throttle. When she decides to stop flying, she doesn't give any warning. LOL
                                ---
                                Warbirder

Comment

• I've learned my hard lesson about landing the Corsair. If I'm dropping full flaps, by God, be prompt on the throttle. When she decides to stop flying, she doesn't give any warning. LOL[/QUOTE]

Oxotnik: Many of us have been there. This is one bird that is totally unforgiving on anything but a smooth 2 point landing. In my first 8 flights, I replaced 3 retracts. Then figured out what I was doing wrong (other than just crappy landing techniques). Landing approach at 40% throttle and let the mains touch down with 20-25% throttle, as I set my timer to indicate both levels when below 40% and 25%. Then put 25 nice landings on it. I was feeling pretty good about myself at that point.

Then, about 3 weeks ago, I was still feeling pretty cocky with my landings and had a friend at the field who just bought the Corsair, so I was showing him my landing technique. Wouldn't you know it, my brain shut down, and for some unknown reason (or I was just trying to show off) I tried to land it slower than what I spent 2 months working out. Of course it plopped straight down from about 2 feet off the grass runway and collapsed my right retract. Man, did I feel like a real horses ass! The gear still worked (although very uneven and shaky) so I decided to just replace it and come out another day. Last time out last week, went back to really concentrating on the throttle during landing and got back 4 good landings.

Just went to remind me that you can't take this plane for granted and need to be very concentrated when landing. If not, she'll let you know immediately, and as you said, without any warning.
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Maiden was awesome. As was the 1st landing, Dialed back the expo.... from 35 to 20, really made a difference. She is a bit nose heavy.... but I am ok with that. Second landing collapsed the left gear. Trying to land her like a Jet. No worries.... Eazy fix... Yea also need a new prop LOL.... She is a keeper. But man oh man... CARRY POWER with flaps..... She bleeds energy quickly. Way to go Motion / FlightLine!

Comment

• Comment

• Yeah seconded Hardway!

When Hugh said his gear "still worked (although very uneven and shaky)" ... well I thought that I would mention, I've noticed that when the retract acts like that it is often because the plastic case is cracked open (or the jack screw is bent). I've replaced the retract unit a few times and on each one the plastic case was cracked. I'm getting used to landing this bird properly but the OEM unit seems to break quite easily and I really wish we had a metal-case retract unit for this plane. If anybody finds one that will fit, please let us know!
                                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                                          Yeah seconded Hardway!

When Hugh said his gear "still worked (although very uneven and shaky)" ... well I thought that I would mention, I've noticed that when the retract acts like that it is often because the plastic case is cracked open (or the jack screw is bent). I've replaced the retract unit a few times and on each one the plastic case was cracked. I'm getting used to landing this bird properly but the OEM unit seems to break quite easily and I really wish we had a metal-case retract unit for this plane. If anybody finds one that will fit, please let us know!
                                          Hydraulics would be nice!
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X