X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

KMD, Can you 'clip' the edges in CAD for a width fit and leave the radius and height as is? This was my first inclination when working with the OEM STL Files earlier this year. There is a "photo" of the instruments for the IP and scaling the IP will change the fit, obviously. If you can give me an accurate width measurement and/or notch dimension, I will 'clip' the IP in CAD so there is a working STL File for everyone. Best, LB
    Thanks for the reply Elbee. I haven't had time to work on it. My caliper batteries were dead when I tried to measure it, but it measured 3.18 inches with a ruler. I'm not sure if clipping it would work. It might cut into the gage openings at the edges. I think I could "clip it" in one of the 3D apps. I might give that a quick try asap, without printing it...

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
      3D printing a drop tank for my Corsair. What you all think?

Tom
      Very nice! Great idea and execution.

Comment

• Originally posted by KatManDEW View Post

Thanks for the reply Elbee. I haven't had time to work on it. My caliper batteries were dead when I tried to measure it, but it measured 3.18 inches with a ruler. I'm not sure if clipping it would work. It might cut into the gage openings at the edges. I think I could "clip it" in one of the 3D apps. I might give that a quick try asap, without printing it...
        It measures 3.175 inches with calipers. If I clip it that size, it does cut into some of the gauge openings. Which leads me to believe that those gauges on the 2D print, as well at others, do not sit under the openings in the STL file.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by KatManDEW View Post
          It measures 3.175 inches with calipers. If I clip it that size, it does cut into some of the gauge openings. Which leads me to believe that those gauges on the 2D print, as well at others, do not sit under the openings in the STL file.
          KMD, I figured that was the case, though I understand some have cut the foam back to the rear cockpit bulkhead to accommodate the width of the IP. The "Bubble Top" rear bulkhead is not complete in that it needs to be 'filled in' at the top edges to be more scale. I am uncertain whether it would also need to be widened if foam were removed from the cockpit sides. I believe Hardway has done this. Hopefully, he can chime in here. In the meantime, if there's anything I can do to assist, let me know. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

KMD, I figured that was the case, though I understand some have cut the foam back to the rear cockpit bulkhead to accommodate the width of the IP. The "Bubble Top" rear bulkhead is not complete in that it needs to be 'filled in' at the top edges to be more scale. I am uncertain whether it would also need to be widened if foam were removed from the cockpit sides. I believe Hardway has done this. Hopefully, he can chime in here. In the meantime, if there's anything I can do to assist, let me know. Best, LB
            Elbee, Yes, the cockpit sides also do not fit. I printed them on paper first to check.

Comment

Motion RC should maybe remove the link to those files, or mention that they do not fit the "Bubble Top" as-is.

Comment

• I've been lurking... but decided to chime in. I printed mine out much earlier in this thread... last year I think,.. I have the bubble-top version. I got my 3D part to fit very nicely by clipping off the pointy corners - all the instruments are still there. I widened the plane's mounting area by making the foam fuselage sides slightly narrower. (I cut away some foam to make the sides narrower). I also installed the new seat and back armor-plate as well. (I made a booster for the seat)

I removed the smaller (earlier model) reflector sight and installed the new one as you can see here.... and modified the 3D side pieces a bit as well, and made some filler to make the top edges of the cockpit match... It sounds like a lot but it really wasn't that big of a deal and the final product turned out quite ice I think. I do agree with Katman that the 3D files should at least have a disclaimer. I don't know, maybe this was designed for the birdcage? Anyway I made it work.

The original printed dashboard decal that comes with the model definitely does not match the 3D dash, I threw it out because Callie's glossy instrument decal (which is installed on the back side) matches it absolutely perfectly and it looks fantastic!

Here's what mine looks like after painting. I didn't really spend that much time -there are only three colors and a little black wash to make it look dirty.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190309_150912.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.7 KB ID:	221307

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190311_222535.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.9 KB ID:	221308
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• JUST AMAZING! Love your work!
                  Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                    I've been lurking... but decided to chime in. I printed mine out much earlier in this thread... last year I think,.. I have the bubble-top version. I got my 3D part to fit very nicely by clipping off the pointy corners - all the instruments are still there. I widened the plane's mounting area by making the foam fuselage sides slightly narrower. (I cut away some foam to make the sides narrower). I also installed the new seat and back armor-plate as well. (I made a booster for the seat)
                    I removed the smaller (earlier model) reflector sight and installed the new one as you can see here.... and modified the 3D side pieces a bit as well, and made some filler to make the top edges of the cockpit match... It sounds like a lot but it really wasn't that big of a deal and the final product turned out quite ice I think. I do agree with Katman that the 3D files should at least have a disclaimer. I don't know, maybe this was designed for the birdcage? Anyway I made it work.
                    The original printed dashboard decal that comes with the model definitely does not match the 3D dash, I threw it out because Callie's glossy instrument decal (which is installed on the back side) matches it absolutely perfectly and it looks fantastic!
                    Here's what mine looks like after painting. I didn't really spend that much time -there are only three colors and a little black wash to make it look dirty
                    TMD, I thank you for your update on these files. I know the updated file sets work better than the first sets. We all went round and round when this aircraft was first introduced about the cockpit parts, but in MotionRC's defense, if that is even required, the files were offered at no cost and we are modelers, right?, so a bit of adjusting and creativity is just part of the hobby, I think. The files can be reworked by anyone with a basic CAD Program. I own the Bubble Top, but have yet begun to build it. Pretty certain I'd rather cut away foam than give up on a full IP when the time comes. Great call on the Callie Graphics IP Photo! She did a great job with that. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Absolutely agree with you LB, 100%. I do enjoy building and modeling and putting these extra details on. And thanks for your comment E4dragonrunner, but my work pales in comparison with what some others have shown here. But I'm happy with how my foray into cockpit detailing turned out!!
                      (I have to say that once the canopy is back on it's really hard to see this detail. But I know its there. If I was doing it again I think I'd install a pilot with legs....! My model looks like Douglas Bader is flying it. )
                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                        Absolutely agree with you LB, 100%. I do enjoy building and modeling and putting these extra details on. I'm happy with how my foray into cockpit detailing turned out!! I have to say that once the canopy is back on it's really hard to see this detail. But I know its there.
                        TMD, ...and your pilot appreciates that it is there. I feel the same way about 'knowing it's there'. I would look into the cockpit and think, I need to dress that up. Matters not whether anyone else notices the details, cuz I know it's there and if it weren't I'd have trouble sleeping at night. Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• My 3D printed prototype of a center drop tank. Modeled in a CAD program. My first time using a CAD program. Is it too big (diameter)? It's only for static display and needs to be weathered a bit.

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by I-fly-rc-aircraft View Post
                            My 3D printed prototype of a center drop tank. Modeled in a CAD program. My first time using a CAD program. Is it too big (diameter)? It's only for static display and needs to be weathered a bit.

Tom
                            I think ya got it about right
                            That is the correct shape drop for the -1 Corsairs whereas the -4's had the more torpedo shaped ones
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I am kicking around the idea of getting the FL Corsair and a 3D printer. I have never used a 3D printer before so my questions are: Where do I get files to print items, & where would a good place to get the plastic reels?

Comment

• Hello y am Dirk and y look voor a rc Stuka wingspan 800mm rtf .
                                is here samone ware y can by one?
                                regeards
                                Dirk Trap
                                email; dirkjtrap@gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by D Trap View Post
                                  Hello y am Dirk and y look voor a rc Stuka wingspan 800mm rtf .
                                  is here samone ware y can by one?
                                  regeards
                                  Dirk Trap
                                  email; dirkjtrap@gmail.com
                                  D Trap, Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Dirk. You might have someone send you a Private Message through the Hobby Squawk Website here, rather than posting your email. I am concerned about your privacy as this is an open and public forum website. You can edit out your email or ask that to be done for you. Your call, Sir. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                                    I am kicking around the idea of getting the FL Corsair and a 3D printer. I have never used a 3D printer before so my questions are: Where do I get files to print items, & where would a good place to get the plastic reels?
                                    MD, I think the STL Files for the Corsair are on MotionRC's website. Go to the Corsair in the 'Warbirds' tab and then 'click' on the "Support" tab. Those files should there. Which 3DP Printer are thinking about buying? I've been buying filament through Amazon. About $20 for PLA and $23 or so for ABS. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I was looking at the
                                      Ender 3 printer thru Amazon. Thanks for the info Elbee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                                        I was looking at the
                                        Ender 3 printer thru Amazon. Thanks for the info Elbee.
                                        MB, there are many talented modelers worldwide who design parts for 3D printing and share them so that anyone can download them for free. MRC has some files but there are millions more on line.
                                        "Thingiverse" is the name of the searchable sharing website where there is literally a "universe of things" to print. Some of the guys here on squawk have posted their own designs there.

Just as an example, here is a gunsight for the Corsair that someone posted.

The printer will come with "slicer" software that you use that to look at the file and make adjustments before printing (you can enlarge or shrink it, move it around, change the settings for infill and so on).
                                        Your printer can use different kinds of filaments (different plastics have different properties, like hardness, color, etc).

Comment

• Will I have to run the printer from my computer? I'll have to order a printer to practice with it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X