X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FW P-51 Old Crow

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone out there are having issues with the gear on this beauty.  I have the problem of a grass field this plane is not user friendly on the ground it constantly wants to nose over,seems like if you can take off it flies great, it's so sweet in the air. But then comes landing usually there great once in a while it will nose over.  My problem is the gear is just not holding I've tried different methods to glue them back in but don't seem to be having any luck.  Help  Seems like when the gear have problems they don't go away.
    Live Free or Die
    AMA # 1032582

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIyJl3B_rN6nOA_AiLQk8Bw/videos

FMS T-28 Trojan 1400
    FW  P-51 Old Crow 1400
    FW Pandora
    FW Mosquito
    Flyzone DHC2 Beaver
    Flyzone Tidewater
    Flyzone Corsair
    Eflite P-51 Mustang

RE: FW P-51 Old Crow

Originally posted by chevstar
            Hi everyone just wondering if anyone out there are having issues with the gear on this beauty.  I have the problem of a grass field this plane is not user friendly on the ground it constantly wants to nose over,seems like if you can take off it flies great, it's so sweet in the air. But then comes landing usually there great once in a while it will nose over.  My problem is the gear is just not holding I've tried different methods to glue them back in but don't seem to be having any luck.  Help  Seems like when the gear have problems they don't go away.
    Chevstar,

With my Iron Ass, I've had the same issues. When I go to a area I've not flown from before, I first check out how thick the grass is more than the length. That resistance from the grass will make you nose over pretty easy unless you keep full elevator when taking off to keep the tail down. And when landing get that tail down and hold full elevator after you touchdown. I fly off of hard surface all the time now to just not have to deal with the issues of grass. At our club field we have a short and narrow runway which with rare exception, I always take off from. I try to land on the runway, but sometimes land a little long on the runway, and end up running off of it into the grass. But there, the grass is not thick/dense, which rarely causes a nose over. At the school soccer fields I fly at. They fertilize and maintain the fields very well. But there, I don't even attempt to land or takeoff. It's a given, I will nose over on that beautiful well kept grass field.  Instead of the adjacent parking lot or road, I have used it as last resort when the wind has picked up all of a sudden, and changed into a direction where I feel I'm better off landing on it with a nose over vs high cross wind on the parking lot. 
     As far as glue, I've had only one instant of a gear pulling out. I used some 5min apoxy and that has held well.

Just finished running 5 batteries thru her this morning.  Batteries charging as I type. going to do another 5.(all off of concrete parking lot)
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

FMS 1400 retro fit metal side panels are the answer, check out the metal gear for FMS thread.  OB found these and CNC small parts and they are the answer
      http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...product_id=193
      I just put in two sets yesterday, check it out pics on the thread.
      BTW interesting how FMS jumped on the band wagon after Freewing came out with there's.......

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
        FMS 1400 retro fit metal side panels are the answer, check out the metal gear for FMS thread.  OB found these and CNC small parts and they are the answer
        http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...product_id=193
        I just put in two sets yesterday, check it out pics on the thread.
        BTW interesting how FMS jumped on the band wagon after Freewing came out with there's.......

Grossman56
        Gman,
        Freewing came out with there's?? For the 1400??
        Just wondering. I know from reading, that this is a good thing for the FMS Mustangs. With my Freewing Mustang, still the originals with hundreds and hundreds of landings...smooth and hard. Watch now, I'm bragging about mine, and one will break...sigh.
        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Hey Lon, I hear you, jinxing yourself.  I know what you mean, the Freewing has that nice aluminum plate over theirs that probably adds a lot of ruggedness to the landing gear.
          For FMS birds these things are great, it would be nice to see if something similar can be made for the Freewing P51.
          It may be something as simple as the fact that FMS has so many different Mustangs that its worth creating these where Freewing only has two, dunno, just sayin',
          Oh, and I meant interesting how FMS came out with a version of Old Crow right after Freewing came out with their Old Crow, sorry about that!

Grossman56 
          Team Gross!

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I just ordered Old Crow. Trying to decide which 1400mm P-51 was hard, but pulled the trigger on FWs version. Old Crow comes with the 580kv and has a paint scheme I really like. I also ordered the 4 blade prop and spinner. I hope it’s a wise choice!

Comment

Hi Boots, run it through a Watt Meter with the 4 blade prop, it should be okay but just to be sure. My 'Old Crow" runs an FMS 650kv with a 85A Mantis ESC, four blade prop with the zip tie mod. We had a big 'to do' when this one was first released on whether it should have come with an optional 4 blade prop.
              I notice that the version with the sound system is not available now, so check your CG, it should sit right on the two squares on the top of the wing that are, in fact the landing light mechanisms. So far, I've had three of the Iron Ass versions. My Old Crow and My Little Gal I and II. Only Old Crow is left which is an IA conversion with the sound system (which I've only used a couple of times as I find it irritating. Basically, it's good for scaring the cats!)
              In comparison to the FMS Mustangs, it's a little trickier to fly, it's more like the real thing from what I've been told. A very nice looking airplane in the air and on the ground. Personally, I prefer the FMS, I still have mine two FMS' and they are in great shape, can't say the same for my FW fleet, may most of them R.I.P.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3196.JPG
Views:	1805
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	115883Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7018.JPG
Views:	1750
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	115884Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9530.JPG
Views:	2152
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	115885

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Grossman all of your warbirds look amazing!
                The FW Stang is slightly smaller than the FMS, so it is more the same “scale” as my FMS Zero and P-40B. I’m glad it no longer Includes a sound system, I’m not a fan and it seems the added weight would have a negative effect on flyability. You say you like the FMS better but did you ever fly the FW without the weight of the sound system?

Comment

The fuse is wider than the FMS as well, its hard to tell when they're sitting side by side, which is scale and which is not. Doesn't matter really. I'll tell you one thing though. I'm thinking of upgrading this bird to the 6s power plant from the FMS 1500mm P-47. With the big battery compartment and a heavier motor, I could see this being the way to go with this bird and not have to yank the sound system out.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

Hi there Grossman56,

Just getting ready to order FW's Old Crow and was reading your posts. Do you feel that the plane is under powered the way it comes, as you are talking of upgrading to 6S?
                    I was also thinking of ordering the sound system. A lot of the other guys in the reviews seemed to like it and I thought it would be pretty cool if it in fact sounded realistic and didn't add to much weight.
                    Also, does the plane have the cut outs still in the fuse like the old plane had that came with the sound system?
                    The more I think about it maybe forgo the sound system, may be a headache in the long run... If anyone else has an opinion on the subject I sure would like to hear it...

Just wondering if you plan on making the trip to NEFI again this year???

Thanks
                    Tom Patton

Comment

Hi Tom, I got my shipping notice and s/b able to look over Old Crow HP this weekend. I’m hoping the flying wgt they have listed for this bird is from when it came with the sound! Also I hope it doesn’t have a speaker grill on the air scoop! :Silly: I understand Grossman can’t make it to Nefi this year but I wish he’d at least let his wife come, she’s s great photographer! :)

Comment

Hey Boots,

Just ordered an Old Crow. If Motion ships like normal I should have it by Friday. Usually 2 to 3 days at the most if I just order a plane only.
                        I was checking out the manual and it shows the older building manual online. Hope an updated manual is provided with the kit. I saw the speaker grills you mentioned in that manual. I sure hope that they are not on this newer version.
                        Been wanting a decent P-51, I think this one will fit the bill. Have been real happy with the other Free Wing models I have.
                        Now all we need is warm weather...lol...

Comment

Agreed Tom. I should have mine Thursday if this snow doesn’t effect delivery! I like the FreeWing jets I own, but like the fms prop to hub design over the Flightline/FreeWing which does not seem as strong. We shall see!

Comment

I wish freewing would bring back a mustang. I want a nice one with flaps and gears again. I have my gunfighter, and it's great, but there's something about rolling off the ground that just makes a plane for me :)

Comment

Ha! Nm I'm an idiot LMAO!

Comment

flew mine tonight after work and sorry to say both versions come with speaker grills i got the one with sound when thay were still avail my buddy got the other one with no sound boh have grills. he glued balsa panels in the speaker area and glued his transducers to that worked great ps love the landing lights at dusk

Comment

Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                                  Hi Tom, I got my shipping notice and s/b able to look over Old Crow HP this weekend. I’m hoping the flying wgt they have listed for this bird is from when it came with the sound! Also I hope it doesn’t have a speaker grill on the air scoop! :Silly: I understand Grossman can’t make it to Nefi this year but I wish he’d at least let his wife come, she’s s great photographer! :)
                                  HA! Not likely!!
                                  If she's going so am I, but she wants to do something different this year, so maybe the following year. You guys will just have to take your own cameras (or wives!!)
                                  Di says thank you for the compliment, says she's just an amateur, but I say she pretty darned good at it, she sends hugs.

Wish I was coming, but realize, its a four day trip there and back, and we've been back there three years in a row (First time to Shawano Wi for flight training with Dave Scott, second time, more flight training and Nefi 2016, then last year for Nefi 2017)
                                  So, I'll miss this year, but will be there Hell or High Water (Which was like the first night at Nefi 2016 when I think about it) for 2019.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

iv got 6 p51s love me a p51p51:Cool:

Comment

Indeed, I do have a nitro model with a 15cc gas engine in it... I just don't like the mess.

Comment

ya no gas here all electric and no complaints from the neighbors in over 3 years and thay let me fly over there properties;);):Cool:

Comment

Working...
                                        X