Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, BTW, my Old Crow is not the one that Motion is offering. Mine is an Iron Ass version that came with a 580kv, which was adequate but not substantial. We also sit at 5000 feet above sea level, so that comes into play as well, especially in Summer. The 650kv really helps as well as the zip tie mod. Mine has the original sound system, when Old Crow was introduced, it had an upgraded sound system which didn't require a separate battery.
    The new Old Crow, for lack of a better term, has an upgraded power plant/ESC and comes with a two blade prop, you have the option of purchasing a four blade spinner/prop system that is, essentially, the original Iron Ass prop/spinner with the Old Crow paint scheme, separately. I'm sure some of the guys are flying theirs with the four blade prop, maybe they'll share some info.
    Lon replaced his stock ESC in his Iron Ass version and kept the stock 580kv and ran 5s with it and it performs great from what I remember.
    I replaced my stock system with a 650kv and a 85A Mantis ESC but still have to keep a 1300 2s battery upfront to get the CG right (had lots left over from Ol' Weed wacker)
    With My Little Gal I and II (both Iron Ass versions), they had no sound system and were lighter. Again the 580 was ok, but the 650 was better.
    I personally haven't seen the new Old Crow fly but Mike and Ryan thought it was great, so, since I trust their judgement on this, give it a try stock with either preference for a prop(2 or 4 blade) before doing anything, I'm sure from what I've heard, it is definitely not underpowered.
    My poor Old Crow flies pretty good with the 650kv, but what I don't like is the dead weight sound system battery, which I could conceivably eliminate with a heavier 6s battery ( I don't use the sound system as it sound like a great big fart to me!!)
    I've seen CB's P-40 with the 6s system out of the FMS P-47, and man, it's almost better than sex!:PSo, much so that I bought Ryan's 6s system from his crashed P-47 and put it in my P-40.
    So, I figure the same system in the P-51 would rock!!

Hope that clears it up.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	116349

Comment

Yup I gotta get me one of those!

Comment

Old Crow was delivered yesterday in perfect shape. Looks great right out of the box. Looked over and all seems perfect, couldn't find any flaws. Was surprised to see all the decals were already applied.
          I couldn't get the sliding canopy to open and briefly looked over the manual and didn't see anything about how to open it. If someone could enlighten me on how it works I would appreciate it.
          Worked 12 hours yesterday so that is as far as I got. Back in for 12 more today and tomorrow so she won't get much attention.
          I also ordered the sound system for it and was a little shocked at the weight of the speakers. Not sure I am going to use the system in this plane. Also it has plastic grills on the bottom of the plane to mount the speakers, I thought they were suppose to mount to the sides of the fuse for the proper sound effects. I read where someone said theirs sounded like a fart, lol, just wondering if mounting to the plastic grills instead of the fuse sides were the reason for that.
          Anyway, if this bird flies as good as she looks, I will be thrilled, sound or no sound!!!

Comment

Hey Tom, that was me!
            With the Iron Ass version, the plastic grilsl are held on with four screws, remove it and you can see the speaker, or the speaker cavity depending on whether it came with the stock sound system or not.
            The stock sound system (Iron Ass version) doesn't 'sound' like a Merlin to me, but with the MRC sound system or the Aspire sound system, they may have more realistic renditions.
            I believe its the
            Aspire system that uses the plane itself as a speaker so the sound would not be so directional. A few of the guys went this route, maybe check back on the original posts on this thread.
            All in all, a good plane (Iron Ass version) and with the updated power system, it should meet all your expectations
            The landing gear hard points on the wings are a weak point and you might want to reseat the retract to the strut with some Foam-Tac, they have a habit of backing off sometimes.
            Also, I'd suggest that you use a diversity receiver with a satellite antennae, give yourself all the insurance you can.
            I put the invasion stripes on mine, even though Bud was still flying his B model on June 6, I like the extra visual.
            Funny thing was that he mentioned that the airplanes paint scheme changed from week to week as a bunch of 20 year olds with 'hotrods' were prone to do. He was positive that the D model, for instance, didn't have white wall tires until his son found a picture of her with them!
            So a certain amount of liberty can be taken.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4676.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	117148

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks for the info Grossman!
              Got the canopy figured out, you just have to pull rearward hard enough and it will open. Saw it on the video from Motion.
              Could you give me some more info on this diversity receiver with the satellite.
              Why do you recommend use of a satellite on this plane or do you use them on all your electrics.
              I fly with a new Spektrum 8 channel Xmitter using the Spektrum $39 6 ch receivers in all my planes.
              I lost 2 planes last year due to no control. The Prometheus Bipe was flying straight and level coming straight down the runway when it just decided to do a barrel roll right into the ground. Radio had no control of the plane. The second one, my first Avanti, after numerous flights with no problems got what I call bumped after which I had full control of when it decided to roll upside down and dive inverted into the ground.
              I use this radio in everything I fly, some of which have to many flights to count, the small ones I fly at home, without so much of a bump or twitch, which leads me to believe the radio xmitter is not at fault.
              I know a lot of guys on here seem to prefer the Lemon receivers, and also hear good things about the Admiral receivers.
              Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
              I also saw a new posting here on HS related to receivers. I am going to post this there also as it will probably get a little more attention...

Thanks
              Tom

PS... Boots, I been looking for a post from you regarding your Old Crow. Just wondering if you received it and what you thought...

Comment

Personally, I use a 7 channel Spectrum receiver with a satellite antennae on my Old Crow, but recently have switched to Lemon (Admiral on Motion RC) receivers as I've lost two Freewing Airplanes with the same Spektrum Receiver. Tom was saying that he uses nothing but diversity receivers and I thought that was good advice as an blurps in the signal are covered with a diversity system. Back in the old days of Rock Bands, I used a diversity wireless system and there was no interference so logic would tell me that I can expect the same in this situation. Just rings true to me. I use an Amazon Visa and found I had built up enough points to get my receivers for free, so guess which route I go!!
                Just make sure that the aerials run 90 degrees to each other. Call it extra insurance.

Grossman56
                BTW, I was going to mention that the canopy is pretty stiff!
                Team Gross!

Comment

PS... Boots, I been looking for a post from you regarding your Old Crow. Just wondering if you received it and what you thought...
                  [/QUOTE]

I had the Old Crow delivered to my parents as I was going to be there over the weekend, I’ve been working a lot of hours and was able to give it a quick look. It was received with no damage, as per usual ( thank you Motion! ).
                  It is a beautiful model, I assembled it, without actually screwing it together. My Dad and Mom said WOW, it really is impressive. I gave a tug on the canopy to see if it would open. It looks like there is a lot of foam around the inside where it should slide. I didn’t force it, I know it’s supposed to open, I’ll do it later!
                  My critical eyes can clearly see that FreeWing strayed from scale to install the hoaky sound system. Clearly a techie fad imo. You have a sound system, and you design an icon, THE icon fighter, around said sound system. You fattened the P-51D and put speaker grills in its nose and radiator to accommodate a fad sound system. That being said, most won’t notice the increased girth, I can fill in the grills, and I can and will live with it. After all, its the Cadillac of the sky for crying out loud!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Yeah you really notice the wider fuse when its sitting beside the FMS P51!
                    But somehow, your eyes keep bouncing back and forth to decide which appears more scale.
                    One day, maybe, they'll give us the best of all worlds. A P-51 in the 1600-2000 range with a pre-installed Aspire sound system with the Merlin sound with start up, shut down and machine guns, 3D printable cockpit details and a sliding canopy that works off a servo!!

Awww to dream.......:Cool:
                    Now, I'll get all the "There's already enough Mustangs out there" comments, brace yourself.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	animated-aeroplane-image-0153.gif Views:	8 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	117884
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Yes sir, a larger P-51 in what they call " Super Scale " with all the details and power for serious speed. Put me down for two of them bad boys!!!

Comment

AMEN!
                        Team Gross!

Comment

There's already enough mustangs out there. :PLOL but seriously I would love the technological updates and size suggested. No question

Comment

Got the Old Crow ready to fly this weekend. Went together real nice and looks great.
                            I did have an issue with an extra screw that I found no mention of in the manual.
                            I e-mailed support at Motion but could not get a definite answer as to it's purpose. Maybe one of you guys got it figured out.
                            I got a small sleeve of 9 screws in my kit. Four for the wing mounting, 4 for mounting the tail section and 1 screw that was smaller than the wing screws and just a bit bigger than the tail screws.
                            I went over the manual several times but I didn't find anything on it and I can't imagine what it would be for unless it was used for the sound system that no longer comes with the kit.
                            Any ideas???

Comment

Most planes come with some extra screws and/or small parts sometimes the extras don't match what are used in the kit.

Comment

Yep, I have had an extra screw or two before, and even short one or two. But this is the first time I had an oddball size packaged by itself and no info as to it's use...
                                I wondered if the other guys ran into the same thing that have assembled one of these???

Comment

Screws with you, doesn’t it. I can see them snickering as they drop the strays into the hardware bag! LOL:Confused::Angry:

Comment

Yes, yes indeed

Comment

Yep, FW is good for giving some extra screws or clevis' and that sort of thing.
                                      I can't think of anything else where you would use screws other than the wings and tail feathers.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

some extra screws means one screw pouch fits more models. The extra couple of the 6 mm for your plane are needed in another, but then that one doesn't need couple of the 22 mm used in yours.... etc.

Giving the extras is cheaper than stocking as many different screw packs.

Now it makes sense. :)
                                        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

You know, it's nice to see a new thread on an old plane. We have a bunch of guys who have flown them ready right now, to give their opinions and help. There is a thrill of 'waiting for Christmas', but its cool to be talking about an old friend as well.
                                          The last bit of excitement regarding the FW P-51 was back when they were specialling off the Iron Ass version and that was a while ago.
                                          Keep us all informed as to how Old Crow flies, especially if someone tries it with the four blade prop.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X