Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks OV10. I wouldn't even attempt the P-51 on the soccer field, it is far too rough. It would only be flown at the club field. I don't have any issues with the Timber or B-17 at the field, but haven't tried my E-Flite 44" P-47 to see how that does on the grass. The size of the FW Mustang should make it pretty tolerable to a groomed field. I noticed that the 1200mm FW Spitfire says pavement is preferred or grass under 1". The Spitfire has pretty small wheels and a very narrow track.

How easily are the wings removed for transporting? The wingspan is at the very limit of what I can fit into my car, so I would remove the wings for transporting.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
      Thanks OV10. I wouldn't even attempt the P-51 on the soccer field, it is far too rough. It would only be flown at the club field. I don't have any issues with the Timber or B-17 at the field, but haven't tried my E-Flite 44" P-47 to see how that does on the grass. The size of the FW Mustang should make it pretty tolerable to a groomed field. I noticed that the 1200mm FW Spitfire says pavement is preferred or grass under 1". The Spitfire has pretty small wheels and a very narrow track.

How easily are the wings removed for transporting? The wingspan is at the very limit of what I can fit into my car, so I would remove the wings for transporting.
      I am fortunate that I don't have to remove wings from any of my birds less 70" in span that go on the roll out flight deck carrier rack in the back of the F-150.
      Over the 70" go into a 7x12 trailer.
      The 3 smallest birds I have are a Dynam Waco and FW-190 and a FL Seafury which all handle the turf OK with the Waco being the better of the three.
      The Butcher and the Seafury need more aggressive ELE management in order to minimize nose overs.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I am limited with my Fiesta hatchback, but use my wife's Escape for the B-17's. I can fit a pair of 44" warbirds, Archer, and at least 2 UMX birds in the Fiesta. My Dynam PBY is the biggest I can fit without taking off the wings. It is a very tight fit sitting sideways in the Fiesta. The Timber works with the wings removed.

Comment

Nope, not yet, the weather hasn't cooperated. Just had 5 inches of snow again end of last week. Did have one nice day but the field needs a good week of warm dry weather...
          I did order the 4-blade to try out. I also ordered some of the Admiral receivers to try out. I got one with the gyro but I am putting it in the F-4...
          Will give a flight report when this Ohio weather breaks...

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post

Lots of wires and things.........
            Best to color code the wires, the wings come off with four screws and aren't difficult. Took an FW P 51 to Nefi in 2016 and it wasn't hard to reassemble with the plugs color coded.
            Heres a picture of Old Crow with her wing raised.....
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6956.JPG
Views:	654
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	125502

Grossman56

Team Gross!

Comment

thanks, that picture really helps! Shouldn't be an issue to either extend the servo wires or color code them transport and field assembly. I have extensions on the Timber so everything stays together during transport. My B-17 uses color coded wires.

Hopefully spring comes soon for us, Tom! We just missed out on the snow last week, but it just keeps staying stupid cold and windy.

Comment

We had the privilege a couple years ago to participate in the Freewing Old Crow's launch alongside Colonel 'Bud' Anderson, WWII Ace and pilot of the original Old Crow. Quite an honor. I found these pics the other day and wanted to share.

Name:	DSC01216.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	127783

Name:	DSC01233.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	127784

Name:	DSC01242.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	127785
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I'm looking at this one to be the third plane of this year. After I replace my P38 I lost at the end of last year. After flying freewing vs fms, it seems to me this would be the better option of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                    We had the privilege a couple years ago to participate in the Freewing Old Crow's launch alongside Colonel 'Bud' Anderson, WWII Ace and pilot of the original Old Crow. Quite an honor. I found these pics the other day and wanted to share.

Name:	DSC01216.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	127783

Name:	DSC01233.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	127784

Name:	DSC01242.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	127785
                    The picture is awesome.
                    What an honor for the little one as well!

Comment

Looks like the 4 blade prop on her as well.
                      Way to stay scale!!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

That is awesome

Comment

I’m in the process of programming my Freewing P-51’s AR636 gain settings. I was wondering if I could please get someone’s AR636’s gain settings for Roll, Pitch, and Yaw? That is, after having several flights using your AR636 settings.

Comment

There will always be a demand for the Mustang. Get used to it!!!
                            I felt the need to share this story. May God bless America!!The Mystery P-51 Pilot

This 1967 true story is about an experience by a young 12-year-old boy in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. It is about the vivid memory of a privately rebuilt P-51 from WWII and its famous owner/pilot.

In the morning sun, I could not believe my eyes. There, in our little airport, sat a majestic P-51. They said it had flown in during the night from some U.S. Airport, on its way to an air show. The pilot had been tired, so he just happened to choose Kingston for his stopover. It was to take to the air very soon. I marveled at the size of the plane, dwarfing the Pipers and Canucks tied down by her. It was much larger than in the movies. She glistened in the sun like a bulwark of security from days gone by.
                            The pilot arrived by cab, paid the driver, and then stepped into the pilot's lounge. He was an older man; his wavy hair was gray and tossed. It looked like it might have been combed, say, around the turn of the century. His flight jacket was checked, creased and worn - it smelled old and genuine. Old Glory was prominently sewn to its shoulders. He projected a quiet air of proficiency and pride devoid of arrogance.
                            He filed a quick flight plan to Montreal ("Expo-67 Air Show") then walked across the tarmac.

After taking several minutes to perform his walk-around check, the tall, lanky man returned to the flight lounge to ask if anyone would be available to stand by with fire extinguishers while he "flashed the old bird up, just to be safe." Though only 12 at the time I was allowed to stand by with an extinguisher after brief instruction on its use -- "If you see a fire, point, then pull this lever!", he said. (I later became a firefighter, but that's another story.)

The air around the exhaust manifolds shimmered like a mirror from fuel fumes as the huge prop started to rotate. One manifold, then another, and yet another barked -- I stepped back with the others. In moments the Packard-built Merlin engine came to life with a thunderous roar. Blue flames knifed from her manifolds with an arrogant snarl. I looked at the others' faces; there was no concern. I lowered the bell of my extinguisher. One of the guys signaled to walk back to the lounge. We did Several minutes later we could hear the pilot doing his pre-flight run-up He'd taxied to the end of runway 19, out of sight. All went quiet for several seconds. We ran to the second story deck to see if we could catch a glimpse of the P-51 as she started down the runway. We could not. There we stood, eyes fixed at a spot halfway down the runway. Then a roar ripped across the field, much louder than before. Like a furious hell spawn set loose -- something mighty this way was coming.

"Listen to that thing!" said the controller.

In seconds the Mustang burst into our line of sight. Its tail was already off the runway and it was moving faster than anything I'd ever seen. Two-thirds the way down 19 the Mustang was airborne with her gear going up. The prop tips were supersonic. We clasped our ears as the Mustang climbed hellishly fast into the circuit to be eaten up by the dog-day haze. We stood for a few moments, in stunned silence, trying to digest what we'd just seen.

The radio controller rushed by me to the radio. "Kingston tower calling Mustang?" He looked back to us as he waited for an acknowledgment.
                            The radio crackled, "Go ahead, Kingston."

"Roger, Mustang. Kingston tower would like to advise the circuit is clear for a low-level pass."

I stood in shock because the controller had just, more or less, asked the pilot to return for an impromptu air show!

The controller looked at us. "Well, What?" He asked. "I can't let that guy go without asking. I couldn't forgive myself!"

The radio crackled once again, "Kingston, do I have permission for a low-level pass, east to west, across the field?" "Roger, Mustang, the circuit is clear for an east to west pass."

"Roger, Kingston, I'm coming out of 3,000 feet, stand by."

We rushed back onto the second-story deck, eyes fixed toward the eastern haze.
                            The sound was subtle at first, a high-pitched whine, a muffled screech, a distant scream. Moments later the P-51 burst through the haze. Her airframe straining against positive G's and gravity. Her wing tips spilling contrails of condensed air, prop-tips again supersonic. The burnished bird blasted across the eastern margin of the field shredding and tearing the air. At about 500 mph and 150 yards from where we stood she passed with the old American pilot saluting.

Imagine. A salute! I felt like laughing; like crying; she glistened; she screamed; the building shook; my heart pounded Then the old pilot pulled her up and rolled, and rolled, and rolled out of sight into the broken clouds and indelibly into my memory.

I've never wanted to be an American more than on that day! It was a time when many nations in the world looked to America as their big brother. A steady and even-handed beacon of security who navigated difficult political water with grace and style; not unlike the old American pilot who'd just flown into my memory. He was proud, not arrogant; humble, not a braggart; old and honest, projecting an aura of America at its best.

That America will return one day! I know she will! Until that time, I'll just send off this story. Call it a loving salute to a Country, and especially to that old American pilot: the late JIMMY STEWART (1908-1997), actor, real WWII Hero (Commander of a US Army Air Force Bomber Wing stationed in England), and a USAF Reserves Brigadier General, who wove a wonderfully fantastic memory for a young Canadian boy that's lasted a lifetime.

Comment

Great story Boots!

Comment

So true Boots, there wasn't a time when I was a kid that I didn't have a Mustang model and there wasn't a time when I didn't want anything else than to be a fighter pilot in the USAF, even if it meant forgoing my Canadian citizenship. That was all due to the P-51 and in large part, a guy named Bob Hoover who wowed me at every Airshow. I can still remember him roaring up the freeway in Miss America and doing a 'cloud check' in her where she ran down the runway 'til the last second when he pulled her vertical and she went literally out of sight. Not so much of a feat with a jet, but with a piston engine, simply burned into my memory. Click image for larger version

Name:	animated-aeroplane-image-0073.gif
Views:	398
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	132460Click image for larger version

Name:	animated-aeroplane-image-0153.gif
Views:	384
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	132461

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

Finally getting around to test fly my Old Crow. Plan on taking it to NEFI and want to get some flights on her before next weekend.
                                  I have a question for you guys that have flown her. Did you go by the manuals recommended control throw settings??? 4mm low and 8mm high rate seems a little low on elevator, and 5mm to 9mm on rudder. Ailerons seem ok at 8mm to 14mm.
                                  appreciate any input...
                                  Thanks
                                  Tom

Comment

Tom...I went with the manuals settings...have never had second thoughts about more elevator.

Lon
                                    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Yep, same here, it's deceiving, but try it, you'll like it!!

BTW, I'm bringing my P-51B to Nefi again this year, she was the only one there last year and I like the fact.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

Well, the old girl flew real nice. A couple clicks of right aileron, a couple clicks of right rudder and flying straight as an arrow. Never went much above half throttle feeling her out. Put gear down, no flaps and real smooth landing. Still had 1:35 on my timer that I had set for 4:00 minutes so went back up. Took her around two more times and had another great landing. As I taxied up to the pit the motor sounded a little noisy. After putting it on the bench I found that I had a lot of play up and down if you pulled up and down on the spinner, with a noticeable clicking sound when the prop was rotated. I pulled the motor out to inspect it and it was almost to hot to hold. Called Motion and putting in a ticket. Said it will be a week to a week and a half before a motor comes in. So no Old Crow at NEFI, at least in my hanger. Guess the Phantom, and Skyhawk will have to do. Now Blue Angels Skyhawk, or Lady Jessie...

Comment

Not good!
                                          If that doesn't work, go a 650 kv in her (the FMS P-40 motor) mine hauls nicely and I'm packing that heavy sound system.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X