Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know, they may have been, now they sit side by side, I'll take a pic of MLG's wing and post it, hang on.....

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Down to the bone yard.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3977.JPG Views:	1 Size:	145.7 KB ID:	149768Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3978.JPG Views:	1 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	149769
      That's how they sat, you can see the minimal damage to the wing a little wrinkling on the picture right side, I can repair that and either reapply the Flite Metal or not, HMMMMMM...

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks Grossman! That shows it all. Sorry about MLG--hope you rebuild her someday.

DB

Comment

• After all the work applying the Flite Metal, I just put to pieces in a box and never really considered what I'd do with them, other than keeping Old Crow in the air. In actual fact, a fuselage would have her in the air again, so something to think about. What I do want to try is a good chrome paint on a gloss black undercoat, just to see what kind of effect that would be. If I can find a good gloss enamel or a water based chrome paint such as Testors Masters, It might give me close to the same effect without all the work.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• Hello, I'm looking at possibly purchasing this Old Crow. I've gone through the thread here and I see that some folks like the FMS better but I'm not seeing why. Is this a good model to buy? Anything to look out for? Landing gear, etc...?

Comment

• She's a good bird, I think its a little more high maintenance than the FMS, but then, I have a 650kv in both and the Smallparts CNC Aluminum retract sides on the FMS so you would break the wing before you'd break the gear. It comes with ball links, I had to add them to the FMS, so its a give and take thing. I like them both so...…..

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Very nice Mustangs Grossman! I too would give up Canadian citizenship to have a P51. I haven't bought one yet because when Freewing brought out Iron As, there was so much debate over Freewing and FMS. There were a bunch of FMS Stangs and most of them are discontinued. I almost bought their Old Crow, but it disappeared fast, same with Gunfighter and others. Their favorites are Petie and Big Beautiful Doll. Both good looking liveries. In terms of power, I put a TACON Bigfoot 32 - 770kv in my old 1400 FMS Zero and it goes vertical as if gravity were upside down!

Comment

• Very nice Mustangs Grossman! I too would give up Canadian citizenship to have a P51. I haven't bought one yet because when Freewing brought out Iron Ass, there was so much debate over Freewing and FMS. There were a bunch of FMS Stangs and most of them are discontinued. I almost bought their Old Crow, but it disappeared fast, same with Gunfighter and others. Their favorites are Petie and Big Beautiful Doll. Both good looking liveries. In terms of power, I put a TACON Bigfoot 32 - 770kv in my old 1400 FMS Zero and it goes vertical as if gravity were upside down! Might try that in a FW Old Crow!....

Comment

• You guys!
                    So, I'm at work today and I get thinking about MLG II I come up with a plan that might just work, to rebuild her. I need a good Winter project and this might just be the one. Most of the damage is to the nose and I think if I can peel off the flight metal from the cockpit forward, I might be able to bend and reinforce the nose back into shape. Heck, it's not like there's a lot to do during non flying season, except for rewriting manuals. She might just rise like the Phoenix!
                    There's such a great bunch of guys for advice on the Squawk that I'm sure it could be done.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                      You guys!
                      So, I'm at work today and I get thinking about MLG II I come up with a plan that might just work, to rebuild her. I need a good Winter project and this might just be the one. Most of the damage is to the nose and I think if I can peel off the flight metal from the cockpit forward, I might be able to bend and reinforce the nose back into shape. Heck, it's not like there's a lot to do during non flying season, except for rewriting manuals. She might just rise like the Phoenix!
                      There's such a great bunch of guys for advice on the Squawk that I'm sure it could be done.

Grossman56
                      I for one will be in the cheering section for you!

Comment

• I just ordered a FMS P-51 B, olive drab and blue nose. Direct from FMS for under $300! Probably put a sound card in it. I have one in my 1700mm P-51 and it sounds amazing in the air, very scale.

Comment

• the trick is peeling off the Flite Metal, but I dragged her out of the box of death today and took a serious look, I think it can be done. I'm trying to locate the hatch cover, unsuccessful so far, I tried Old Crow's on her and the magnets are reversed, they wanted to push it away rather than lock it on, you'd have thought it would be standard at the factory.
                          Manfred, that's a hell of a deal, its a great plane. Drop a 650 KV in her and upgrade the ESC, go metal servos and ball links all around when you have the cash. A good investment, Shirty will be proud!!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Well i had to switch magnets from one flightline P38 to another P38. So i do know what you mean, i guess they make sure it sticks together on that model and if its the same on a second one good, if not, just as good.

Comment

• Ditto here—had to grin; I was doing a static test full power watt meter/gear retraction/telemetry check and didn't move the battery hatch far enough away...well, you know what happened next.....yep, sucked that hatch right in—tiny foam and hatch clip pieces flew.

Ordered a replacement hatch from MRC, got it Friday. Good news, the magnets worked good, fit great, cosmetics...not so much (must've been the same factory worker. lol):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Batt Hatch right.JPG Views:	1 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	151978Click image for larger version  Name:	replacement batt hatch comparison.JPG Views:	1 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	151979

Comment

• They'd have been better to send the decal off the hatch so you could have applied it correctly.
                                Guys, I've had trouble getting the gear to retract properly, on the ground it works fine, but in the air, it appears that the clam shell door gets caught up on the retract door, maybe due to vibrating in the wind??
                                Anyone else have this problem and if so, what did you do to resolve it.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Well, since nobody else stepped up to the plate to help, and I do not have any retraction problems at all with my Old Crow at full power or anything else on takeoff/go-arounds (at least not yet): I've noticed on my airplane that the inner gear doors open up perpendicular to the wing (straight down) and parallel to each other before the gear comes up. In some of the videos posted on the "other" forum and on YouTube, it appears that is not the case on the troubled airplanes (mostly the Iron Asses) where the retracts may be weaker and therefore more susceptible to mechanical interference.
                                  Not sure in your case what the situation may be--but just wanted to throw that out there for you to look at.
                                  I'm assuming you've tried putting it on a stand inverted and doing a full power retraction test to see what may be causing it? What did you notice?

Comment

• I've come up with a few different things I 'm going to try, like lengthening the pushrods to the inner gear doors. After getting My Little Gal's retracts rebuilt and working again, I notice that it works smoothly if the ball link on the outer gear doors are a little loose. I'll try it with Old Crow as well. A little tinkering could solve the problem. Meanwhile I got flights 190-199 (all airplanes) for the season in yesterday. I was planning on getting flight 200 in today but the weather isn't cooperating so far, maybe this afternoon.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Does anyone know who the US dealer is for the Eleven Hobby 1100mm P51 D Old Crow or is there an overseas dealer who carries the model ? How to contact Eleven Hobby ?

Comment

• try banggood
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Too quiet in this thread for such a beautiful, well performing plane. Perhaps a 1600mm refined version in Flightline is in the works? Anyways, I would like to share a short video of mine doing 3 touch and go greasers.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/motionsic
                                          Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPVAirCombat
                                          Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fpvaircombat/channel/

Comment

Working...
                                          X