X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Ok, I would like to ask a little advise. I received my P-51 and would like to give it an overall paint coat. But something I've never been particularly good at is masking the clear canopy to insure I don't mess it up during the paint job. So could someone tell me how to do this effectively? So I can preserve my clear canopy?

Best Regards
      Woody

This will be my first paint job in almost 40 years. But the model didn't seem quite silvery enough for me, was wanting to add some very silver paint to the exterior. W

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
        Ok, I would like to ask a little advise. I received my P-51 and would like to give it an overall paint coat. But something I've never been particularly good at is masking the clear canopy to insure I don't mess it up during the paint job. So could someone tell me how to do this effectively? So I can preserve my clear canopy?

Best Regards
        Woody

This will be my first paint job in almost 40 years. But the model didn't seem quite silvery enough for me, was wanting to add some very silver paint to the exterior. W
        I use Tamiya masking tape to cover the clear parts of the canopy. It has worked well for me. Just make sure the edges are pressed down so the paint does not bleed through.

Comment

Best Regards
          Woody

What he said ^^^^...lol.
          I also use the Blue Scotch painters tape that you can get at any hardware store. That works great too...

Comment

Maybe something to check: The motor wires did rub on the outrunner in my Mustang. I did glue them down and put some fibre tape over the wires.

Comment

Nice flights! Alpha, love the "Corsair-afied" livery, that's sweet. Can I ship my ESM 85" Corsair to you to paint and weather for me? ;)

After the severe weather delay UPS delivered mine today. I'll put it together after work. and stare at it for a week or two before the snow clears. LOL
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Best Regards
                Woody

What the others have said PLUS recommending clay for corners. I tried that for the first time when repainting my Tomcat and it worked VERY well! Much easier than trying to cut the masking tape perfectly to shape matching the canopy lines.

Comment

I will have to try that clay technique! I have always just used the painter's tape masking and then cutting the edges using a sharp exacto knife. Works fine but is a bit tedious.
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Started on one of two Mustangs I'm prepping for follow up video in the next week or so from MRC EU. Anyone like to guess from the masking what the scheme will be on the first?

Attached Files

Comment

Best Regards
                      Woody

Some very good suggestions already, but can I also suggest our Admiral hinge tape. This medical tape is soft and whilst not low tack as such, it is very gentle on the paint surface, which is great for foam. But on canopy's its great too as its extremely flexible, so its great for curves of canopies etc. Best of all, there is no bleed. Its what I've been using today with the first of these two custom scheme's we're working on.

Here's a link, its all I use for masking now:

1" (25mm) Wide by 5 yards (4.5m) Long Waterproof Hinge Tape - Clear from BenchCraft - ADM25HTAPECLR This hinge tape from BenchCraft will not leave any residue behind while providing excellent adhesion. Used to create hinges, seal seams or gaps between control surfaces and wings/stabilizers, repairs and many other uses.

Stuart.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                        Started on one of two Mustangs I'm prepping for follow up video in the next week or so from MRC EU. Anyone like to guess from the masking what the scheme will be on the first?
                        I'll guess something like the photo below.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Speaking of masking, the plastic sleeve the fuselage comes out of the box with helps tremendously with masking large sections of the fuse. :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_flyguy View Post
                            Speaking of masking, the plastic sleeve the fuselage comes out of the box with helps tremendously with masking large sections of the fuse. :Cool:
                            Great idea... I usually put all the plastic in the recycle bin, but never thought about saving it for a paint condom!!! ;):):Cool::Cool: Thanks Bro!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post

Great idea... I usually put all the plastic in the recycle bin, but never thought about saving it for a paint condom!!! ;):):Cool::Cool: Thanks Bro!!
                              Haha! "Paint condom"

Comment

Thanks for the pointers folks.

Best Regards
                                Woody

Comment

Thanks for the pointers folks.

Best Regards
                                  Woody
                                  Glad to help! Don't forget to post your progress! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post

Some of the planes that Motion sells might need the extra large "Super Galactic Prophylactic" paint condom...LOL:)(Nod to Dan Akroyd on an old Saturday Night Live skit..)

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_flyguy View Post

I got ya, brother. Switches 1,4,5,6 "ON" and 2,3 "OFF". Remember 1-3 are compensation reverse switches for AIL, RUD, and ELE - and always triple check these before first flight. Combo 1 for me (stabilizer on and recover modes) as well as flaperons (thus, 4-6 all "ON") as I anticipated using differential (I haven't yet but the option is there if I change my mind).
                                      IMPORTANT: Getting Recovery Mode to engage was a real head scratcher for me. The fix was setting up a CURVE on the desired switch/gear Mix. Gear needs to be -100 (stabilizer) when bind button isn't depressed, and -105 when it is depressed to engage Recovery Mode. If that doesn't work, reverse your Gear channel.

Here's a pic of my board - disregard the individual gain knobs, they're a work-in-progress.

Click image for larger version Name:	stabilizerswitches.JPG Views:	3 Size:	130.2 KB ID:	177909
                                      I'm currently going through this on a different plane (has retracts) with motion. I need my gear channel reverse so switch potion "O" is gear down. However I'm getting 105 and -95. Why curve vs normal. Sorry I'm newbie here.

Is anyone running 4S 2500? Have another plane that uses 2500 and would like to interchange them vs having 2200 and 2500
                                      Planes
                                      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Woodcock, go over to the "F/L 1600mm Corsair" thread and in the last few posts you will see comments on using Frisket Liquid for canopy masking -- much, much easier than any tape imo, I have used it for years. Hope it helps in your final process and good luck.

Comment

Working on the livery for Man O War... Seemed a good idea when I started!! Was supposed to be a weekend project, but we are coming up on a full week this Saturday! Callie provided the graphics!!! Perfect as usual! :Cool: www.callie-graphics.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X