Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry Bro.... Wow...

Comment

• do you guys think this plane would be able to rival the speed of the durafly efxtra on 4s?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rcflyer7824 View Post
        do you guys think this plane would be able to rival the speed of the durafly efxtra on 4s?
        Ya know I'm no expert. I am a fan of Durafly planes, & do own (3) EFxtras, (2) with gear I installed and one hand toss. I dearly love these planes. I haven't flown my P-51 yet. But judging from the air frame of the Toss & Boss mustang, I would kinda think that could be a reasonable assumption. I would have to review it a little more wing core, esc, propeller, and internal carbon fiber re-enforcement. EFxtras are built really strong, lots of carbon in the plane, all parts. But just eyeballing the air frame, yea I think it might.

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
          Took her out for a quick flight. Under-toss, torqued extreme left and smashed into the pavement.

:Angry: :Angry: :Angry:

It happened so fast I couldn't react to save her. Could be worse...I need to repair the starboard LE section, reconnect the servo, need a new spinner and prop. Good thing I bought a few. This bird needs to be tossed high in the sky. A low toss is asking for trouble.
          It sucks when that happens. My very first flight, when I very first came back to the hobby was one of those. Gave it a straight toss, realized it was going down, naturally I pegged it. Guess I just wanted to make sure I hit the ground real nice and hard. LOL Amazingly it didn't destroy the plane. Did split the front part of fuselage in half though.

Woody

Comment

• With belly landers, I program the Tx as if it has flaps. Go in have 0%flaps and X% of up elevator. So when I throw it, it starts to climb immendly. Flip to "up flaps" and start flying.

Sorry it happen. I had the same thing happen with another plane this weekend, as I threw it the wind stop, changed directions to a tail wind.....smash.

How are you guys cleaning the plastic spinner before paint? I had a ton of orange peel in one I just painted using Tamiya spray paint.
            Planes
            -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
            -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• I knew to be careful and yet it still happened. My first couple flights I could see how easy it would want to torque roll...I can fix her but she's no longer pristine. Grrrr. lol
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I knew to be careful and yet it still happened. My first couple flights I could see how easy it would want to torque roll...I can fix her but she's no longer pristine. Grrrr. lol
                I know the feeling about being pristine..I beat my self over it calling my self a "DA" over and over again..lol

Is there a way to lessen tq roll? Were you are 3/4 throttle?
                Planes
                -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

do you guys think this plane would be able to rival the speed of the durafly efxtra on 4s?
                  Motion advertises 80+ on the P51. I don't think it is gonna keep up with an EFX.

Comment

Not even close tbh. But you are comparing a race plane with a 3536-1780kV motor and 60 amp esc with a fun warbird with a 2836-950kV motor and a 30amp esc.

They are comparable if the EFXtra is on 3S and the P-51D on 4S.
                    I've flown my Mustang with a clubmate with his EFXtra on 3S. The EFxtra was slightly faster but there was no difference in the climb rate and it was awesome flying together ;)

On the upside the Mustang easily flies 8mins while the EFXtra has around 4.5 mins on a 3S 2200pack mixed throttle and is easier to launch bc of having less torque.

Just my 5 cents ;)

Comment

I knew to be careful and yet it still happened. My first couple flights I could see how easy it would want to torque roll...I can fix her but she's no longer pristine. Grrrr. lol
                      Sorry to hear mate... I found the sweet spot for me is underhand launching it with around 65% throttle and tossing it gently maybe in a 60° angle into the wind. I had drilled my EFX Racer into the ground on the 3rd flight and I think it was because of a too high throttle into zero wind.

Comment

• Originally posted by McLogo View Post

Sorry to hear mate... I found the sweet spot for me is underhand launching it with around 65% throttle and tossing it gently maybe in a 60° angle into the wind. I had drilled my EFX Racer into the ground on the 3rd flight and I think it was because of a too high throttle into zero wind.
                        That's exactly what I did on my first flight with my EFxtra. Definitely less throttle, smooth toss upward. These are a little more complicated to launch than some of my other hand tossers I have. In the beginning I was installing Spektrum AR636 receivers. My first two EFxtras have these. It wasn't until after I got them and figured out they didn't have safe mode possible that I realized my mistake. Nuff said. So I moved on to the Admiral RX600SP receivers and have standardized my fleet with this receiver. Once I installed this, and set it up I don't even have my hands on the sticks when I hand launch. I just set the throttle at about 60-65 percent, (just like you Lago) and activate the recovery mode on the RX600SP and throw it firmly and smoothly at a slight up angle. It automatically straightens out and fly's away like it's on rails.

Woody

Hey Aros, Sorry to hear about your mishap mate. W

Comment

Sorry to hear that! Even when you know that it might happen, it is sometimes tough to throw it just right.

Woody - I was wondering about whether using the recovery mode on the Admiral receiver would work as you described on hand launch - I'll give it a try on my maiden flight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

That's exactly what I did on my first flight with my EFxtra. Definitely less throttle, smooth toss upward. These are a little more complicated to launch than some of my other hand tossers I have. In the beginning I was installing Spektrum AR636 receivers. My first two EFxtras have these. It wasn't until after I got them and figured out they didn't have safe mode possible that I realized my mistake. Nuff said. So I moved on to the Admiral RX600SP receivers and have standardized my fleet with this receiver. Once I installed this, and set it up I don't even have my hands on the sticks when I hand launch. I just set the throttle at about 60-65 percent, (just like you Lago) and activate the recovery mode on the RX600SP and throw it firmly and smoothly at a slight up angle. It automatically straightens out and fly's away like it's on rails.

Woody
                            I think zero wind can be one of most critical factors... I had to learn that the hard way ;)

Comment

I think zero wind can be one of most critical factors... I had to learn that the hard way ;)
                              I learned that when launching my e-flite rare bear!

Comment

Yeah I had too much throttle...Full in fact. Whoops. :Sweating:

My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• That is why I am adding the rudder... The gyro can gyro if the surface can't move!!! LOL

Comment

How do you launch in zero wind? Out of curiosity
                                    Planes

Comment

• Originally posted by uscanuck1xa View Post

Sorry to hear that! Even when you know that it might happen, it is sometimes tough to throw it just right.

Woody - I was wondering about whether using the recovery mode on the Admiral receiver would work as you described on hand launch - I'll give it a try on my maiden flight!
                                      Ya know when you ask that, I'm not sure if it acts like a Safe mode or not. I've never actually tried to fly one of my models around with the Admirals Recovery Mode active. So the next time I'm out, I'm going to try it and see what happens. I know the recovery works great on hand launch, but I usually shut it off as I begin to take control and fly around.

With my Admirals I always use combo a, just never seemed to have the need for anything else. I've never had to fiddle with the gain pots, they have always seemed fine for me out of the box.

In regards to the P-51. When I said I thought it could probably keep up with the EFxtra. I was speaking of the airframe. I think the P-51 airframe has the potential to equal it's speed all things considered. As I stated before it would depend on how carbon fiber much re-enforcement there is in the airframe structure of the P-51. Naturally, if it has smaller drive components it wouldn't keep up. That doesn't mean the P-51 wouldn't be fun to fly. I rarely fly my EFxtras wide open anyway.

You could keep the EFxtra in the air a long time probably in excess of 20 min. if that was your goal in how you fly. The EFxtra makes a pretty good glider, it actually comes out of the box with a special nose cap you can install just for slope soaring. So if you fly it like it's a glider, as I do from time to time. You can keep it going for an exceptionally long time.

Been working on my P-51. Picked out a nice silver paint I liked and promptly ruined a test piece of foam. Like the paint though, so am working on getting my airframe sanded and sealed to make sure I don't ruin it when I paint it.

Remember when you hand launch this P-51, Full throttle, "NOT A GOOD THING"! Remember more throttle, equals more torque, & roll! My friend, "Aros" figured this out the hard way! Now, this guy knows how to fly! He's probably 10x the pilot I am, but unfortunately, he is not the first exceptionally good pilot I saw that got stung by this sort of thing. Think smooth. Once you get the hang of it, it's the easiest take offs you'll ever do. Seriously!

Best Regards
                                      Woody

"Aros", if you can fly that Phantom around your an exceptional pilot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

Ya know when you ask that, I'm not sure if it acts like a Safe mode or not. I've never actually tried to fly one of my models around with the Admirals Recovery Mode active. So the next time I'm out, I'm going to try it and see what happens. I know the recovery works great on hand launch, but I usually shut it off as I begin to take control and fly around.

With my Admirals I always use combo a, just never seemed to have the need for anything else. I've never had to fiddle with the gain pots, they have always seemed fine for me out of the box.

In regards to the P-51. When I said I thought it could probably keep up with the EFxtra. I was speaking of the airframe. I think the P-51 airframe has the potential to equal it's speed all things considered. As I stated before it would depend on how carbon fiber much re-enforcement there is in the airframe structure of the P-51. Naturally, if it has smaller drive components it wouldn't keep up. That doesn't mean the P-51 wouldn't be fun to fly. I rarely fly my EFxtras wide open anyway.

You could keep the EFxtra in the air a long time probably in excess of 20 min. if that was your goal in how you fly. The EFxtra makes a pretty good glider, it actually comes out of the box with a special nose cap you can install just for slope soaring. So if you fly it like it's a glider, as I do from time to time. You can keep it going for an exceptionally long time.

Been working on my P-51. Picked out a nice silver paint I liked and promptly ruined a test piece of foam. Like the paint though, so am working on getting my airframe sanded and sealed to make sure I don't ruin it when I paint it.

Remember when you hand launch this P-51, Full throttle, "NOT A GOOD THING"! Remember more throttle, equals more torque, & roll! My friend, "Aros" figured this out the hard way! Now, this guy knows how to fly! He's probably 10x the pilot I am, but unfortunately, he is not the first exceptionally good pilot I saw that got stung by this sort of thing. Think smooth. Once you get the hang of it, it's the easiest take offs you'll ever do. Seriously!

Best Regards
                                        Woody

"Aros", if you can fly that Phantom around your an exceptional pilot.
                                        I'm running the same receiver and you have always kept the pot gains as they are set from the factory?

Is your recovery mode on a switch or the bind button for launching?
                                        Planes

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

I'm running the same receiver and you have always kept the pot gains as they are set from the factory?

Is your recovery mode on a switch or the bind button for launching?
                                          Depends on the plane. If it's a hand launcher I have it on a switch if it has wheels I just leave it on the bind button. I'm not saying my way is the best way by any means. I just do what works for me. In regards to the gains, I've just never had to touch them, but might need to someday.

Woody

Comment

Working...
                                          X