• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy isn't that the truth!

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I was organizing my computer and found this video. It was taken by a friend. It is one of my favorites. I was flying the silver B-17.

Bob

Comment

My friend Jason took a video of me flying my Silver V1 from his drone, this was the first time he tried chasing an RC plane at our field. Its a little rough but we had fun.

I especially liked the slo-mo at 2:20... and the landing sequence at about 4:10. Probably because it was an awesome landing!

https://youtu.be/QIO8X3cfFPw?list=PL...tiPNvR66KTquad
        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Originally posted by themudduck View Post
          My friend Jason took a video of me flying my Silver V1 from his drone, this was the first time he tried chasing an RC plane at our field. Its a little rough but we had fun.

I especially liked the slo-mo at 2:20... and the landing sequence at about 4:10. Probably because it was an awesome landing!

https://youtu.be/QIO8X3cfFPw?list=PL...tiPNvR66KTquad
          Very cool video. Funny thing is the guy that took the video in my clip is also named Jason!

Bob

Comment

Good stuff gents! :Cool:
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I have what may seem like a stupid question. I just bought the HK B-17 1875mm v2. I was told I could use a single battery up to a 5000mAh, or two up to 3000mah, and opted for the two. I've been trying to find any information on HOW to install these batteries in the plane's battery bay, and can find nothing but one video, and the guy stacked them vertically on top of each other, narrow side up wide side facing the sides of the fuselage like in the first photo below. But he also installed the leads going toward the nose instead of aft towards the wiring to the ESC's, and installed his nose cone upside down so I don't want to risk taking his advice, LOL, and while he had it on an expensive balancer, he hadn't flown the bird yet and had no followup video.

I've read numerous threads about the center of balance on this plane, and while it seems to want to nose over on takeoff, that isn't really my issue. My issue is: How is the plane designed to have the batteries installed? The manual I downloaded shows nothing about how to place the batteries, nor does anything I can find anywhere else. Looking at the compartment, it seems to have a shape in the bottom that corresponds to either a single battery 5-1/2 inches laying flat, or if I cut some of those side "teeth" out, I could stack two flat and velcro them to the cavity, or place two vertically side by side in the same cavity.

They will fit in my plane stacked vertically like the guy in the video did, although doing so, they put quite a bit of pressure on the front tongue of the removable cockpit battery access hatch. They don't seem to be forcing the rear of the hatch up where the magnets are however (photo 2). Installed in this way they DO lock into place, and it is doubtful they would move, although it seems rickety to me and makes me nervous.

There's a couple bulkheads keeping the battery from moving aft from this position, but not fore. I plan on making the F model, so the hole where the chin turret goes on will be filled, and my intent was to cut the unrealistic looking flat black partition in the nose cone area out and install a scale bombardier and Norden bombsight. I was looking into all this because it affects what I do with the rest of the compartment.

Logic to me is "low and center" so stacking them up on edge like he showed seems to go against my natural instincts. The other possible ways of installing them are shown but all result in the same weight extending forward into the nose compartment. I've seen quite a few videos of this plane nosing over on takeoff attempts so was wondering from all of your experience if the battery placement is a factor or not.

All methods I can see, will extend the battery from roughly the rear of the cockpit hatch to 1-1/2 inches into the nose compartment.

The bay doesn't seem to be designed for them no matter what. Logic to me is "low and center" so stacking them up on edge like he showed seems to go against my natural instincts. Any advice appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOTO4.png
Views:	239
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	339437
              Attached Files

Comment

Any photos would be helpful as well.....

Comment

Stack them like your doing with the leads facing aft. Also you don't need them perfectly aligned on top of one another. Off set the bottom from the top or whatever fits. The plane was originally designed for twin 2200s which may be smaller then what you have. I have a full cockpit in mine and use the 2200s. Other guys cut out the battery fins inside and lay the batteries flat side by side, but I haven't felt the need to do that.
                  Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Those "teeth", as you call them, was made like that so you can cut them to fit whatever batteries you choose to use in the plane. Decide how you want to place the batteries (stacked or end to end) and then determine where they need to be to balance the plane. Cut the foam teeth as needed but cut them so that when the batteries are in, they are quite snug and you have to push them down between the teeth and compress the teeth a bit. This helps to keep them in during flight. Thus, retaining straps and/or velcro don't need to be too complicated.
                    PS, I'd stack them so they make the lowest height stack - more stable and less likely to move about. Place a small piece of shelf liner between the 2 batteries for more friction.

Comment

Thanks quitcherbitchen and xviper! Really appreciate the help!

Comment

Us Canadians like to help. LOL no problem. Just wish I had given you a picture.
                        Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Toss me another Pill, EH!

Comment

I *think* I figured it out. The 3000mAh batteries are huge compared to the 2200's. I was trying to keep them out of the bombardier/navigator compartment, but no such luck, they took up the entire recessed area between the wing spar and nose. So I can either lay them flat and use the upper one to slide fore and aft to get the CoG right, or take my chances on standing them up on edge, putting some spacers in them, and letting them intrude into the space. I was doing all this because I wanted to put a scale interior in that compartment, with a bombardier, Norden bombsight, a balsa desk, & floor, a couple lightweight chairs, and some foam accessories. While most of that is lightweight, the bombardier and 3D printed bombsight are unknowns. So the best way I figured out to do it, was to set both batteries on edge, but with about a half inch gap between them, which I can leave as the "hell hole." I can disguise the starboard battery as a couple balsa ammo cases, and the desk top can cover most of the port side battery. Neither battery projects further than 3/4 inch into the area. I just don't have the room to do the angled bulkhead, (floor under the cockpit rudder pedals) or the upper bulkhead that conceals the instrument panel gauges and wiring on the real plane. It will have to just have a flat, one piece bulkhead and the covers. Beginning to wish I hadn't bought those big batteries...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X