X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobby King 1875mm B-17G Flying Fortress V2

Years ago I bought the V1 and for the price I was pleasantly surprised with the size and gentle flying characteristics. The only thing I couldn't stand was the deep trenched panel lines...Looked terrible. But the rest of the bird's profile looked good. Hobby King released the V2 I believe a year or two back and I finally got around to getting one. The upgrades were minimal (different size kV motors is the main thing that I can tell) and the mold and quality is virtually the same as V1 but they definitely improved the panel lines. With the full on arctic blast ("Snowpocalypse" as some are calling it here in the Pac NW) sticking around, today was the perfect build day. While nowhere near the quality FlightLine would offer a new gen B-17, it still has its place. Great size, looks the part and I am sure it will fly just as good as the V1. Anyone else have one?
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Now that's a nice looking model!

I have V1. Some spare parts are still mostly on backorder (I need a nose cone) but I am hopeful HK will get some in. Its not like MRC. I still am holding out that you guys will come out with one to go with the B24.

I like the way it flies but I found the LG mounts to be pretty weak. Is V2 the same or did they improve that?
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Just the old Gen 1, like 6 years old now...
      Did the prop n hub mod and repainted to more realistic colors.
      Always a crowd pleaser!

Click image for larger version

Name:	C93DF2B0-3842-45BD-8D74-48A1246F9766.jpeg
Views:	1613
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	178066Click image for larger version

Name:	2D2F3873-F918-4D6E-80DA-2F859CC761F8.jpeg
Views:	1680
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	178067

Comment

Everyone should have a few of these ;)
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by themudduck View Post
          I still am holding out that you guys will come out with one to go with the B24.
          You and me both! :Cool:

I like the way it flies but I found the LG mounts to be pretty weak. Is V2 the same or did they improve that?
          You know, I am not actually sure. It looks like the same gear to me but I can't say for certain.

That's right George, you're no stranger to this sweetheart. And Ole-Timer, that's right! I forgot about the prop mod. The stock props are so flimsy.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Here are some shots my photographer buddy took of my V1 years ago...I turned her into Aluminum Overcast which I may do eventually with my V2 as well...

Name:	b17flight13.jpg
Views:	1431
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	178125

Name:	b17flight9.jpg
Views:	1411
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	178126
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
              Everyone should have a few of these ;)
              Everyone doesn't????;)

Bob

Comment

I have the version 1 also, pretty docile flyer and I’m currently changing the paint scheme from liberty belle to something else
                that I’ve yet to decide.
                i don’t take it flying very often but enjoy it when I do

Comment

I take a B-17 to the field every time I fly!

Bob Click image for larger version

Name:	Heavies.JPG
Views:	1658
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	179011

Comment

A fleet! You win! :):Cool:
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

The nicest flying Big Bomber out there, but certainly there are better looking.

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                        The nicest flying Big Bomber out there, but certainly there are better looking. S.
                        You wash your mouth out with soup mister. :Not-Talking:

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

You wash your mouth out with soup mister. :Not-Talking:
                          Yeah, Stuart... what he said!!! (although I would have recommended soap)

Bob

Comment

I have a silver V2 in the box. It's going to be there for a while though, there's a few others to get to first :(

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                              The nicest flying Big Bomber out there, but certainly there are better looking.

S.
                              Hmmmm.... I would seriously consider replacing my entire B-17 fleet should Motion come out with a B-17, of this size, and their usual quality!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by borntoolate View Post
                                Yeah, Stuart... what he said!!! (although I would have recommended soap)
                                SOAP!!! I MEANT SOAP!!! LOL LOL LOL
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I got tired of waiting for all the snow to melt so I took her to the school for a maiden. Flies precisely how I remember the V1. So docile, so light, just a total *****cat. You can literally throw the batteries anywhere in the battery area and fly...Just a gentle giant through-and-through. Bounced her on the first landing attempt, er I mean, touch-n-go...haha...Less bounce on the second attempt. Landing gear needed some work...Really loosey-goosey...Tightened it all up so should be good to go for the next flight. She looks so sweet in the sky!

Name:	maiden1.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	179774
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Nice job! OK next time I want to see the flaps for landing! ha!

Every single time time I fly mine, I have to re-tighten the LG mounting screws. If I forget, they practically fall out. Actually, I'm getting tired of that and I think I will use a little Foam-tac to lock them in.
                                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Nice job! OK next time I want to see the flaps for landing! ha!

Every single time time I fly mine, I have to re-tighten the LG mounting screws. If I forget, they practically fall out. Actually, I'm getting tired of that and I think I will use a little Foam-tac to lock them in.
                                      I wanted to use the flaps but when I checked them preflight there was waaaaay too much down trim...Not sure why and I was too lazy to change it in the settings so I just flew without them, lol...But wow, the video perspective makes it look like I was coming in reaally HOT but it didn't appear that way to me at all, but then again with the bounce, maybe?? I will recheck the elevator trim settings so I can use them next time. As for the screws, yeah they were very loose after the flight. I think I will do the same thing and use a little Foam Tac on them, good call!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Glad she didn't disappoint Todd. Just like the orignal full size, its the bird that just keeps on going.

S.

Comment

Working...
                                        X