Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine weights in at just under 10kgs

Comment

wow 20 pounds, maybe they need to change that in the manual.... it says 17 1/2 pounds there.

Comment

22 pounds one guy 26 pounds on another why so heavy when the manual states under 18 pounds?

Comment

I think they used heavy balsa in my planes tail ...

Comment

Originally posted by Terminater007 View Post
            Mine weights in at just under 10kgs
            Mine is a bit over 21 pounds or 9.6kgs. I did some extensive research when building and relied heavily on the Brits and other Euro guys for CG and other info as they had been flying this model for years. Added weight was one of their concerns as well but in all instances flew great regardless. Since mine required only 1 pound I felt fortunate.

Comment

So, I took the repaired and re-test flown airplane to the Windy City Warbirds & Classics event last weekend. I had lots of interest in the airplane and everyone was anxious to see it in the air. I got a 5 or 6 minute flight on it and landed. Upon taxiing in, I found that something looked wrong, and found that the cabin area had once again broken away from the fuselage. The joints I repaired and reinforced with carbon fiber mat held, but it broke right next to those joints. I called Motion RC and we arranged a meeting early the next morning at their warehouse which was only a 30 minute drive. After review, they agreed to replace the fuselage and associated parts (I didn't want or need wings, they were fine), so I took all my gear out and left it with them, so they could dissect it as needed. I really appreciate their FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SERVICE! They are genuinely interested in putting out a quality product and I want to assist with that as much as I can.
              So, I'm starting to re-assemble the airplane, but looking closely at what can be done to help this not happen again. I am concerned that any hard landing will lead to this problem (you shouldn't land hard, I know!). So I am looking at adding some kind of support around the threaded rod that goes into the top of the side of the fuse to support the landing gear. This is where all the stress is being sent from the landing gear. So, trying to engineer something to make that better and stronger.. I am also looking at modifying the main landing gear strut. The spring action on this part only allows for 7mm of movement by the spring-loaded gear strut. I want to increase this and to also reduce the amount of pressure required to allow the strut to move (spring tension). I am pretty much set on creating a operating landing gear much like the full-scale version. I will have to make fiberglass strut covers that will telescope into each other, but that is not hard. I'm working with Dennis Crooks at Robart to see if they can make a strut for it. Stay tuned.

Comment

Here are the pictures of the damage...
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF3A View Post
                  So, I took the repaired and re-test flown airplane to the Windy City Warbirds & Classics event last weekend. I had lots of interest in the airplane and everyone was anxious to see it in the air. I got a 5 or 6 minute flight on it and landed. Upon taxiing in, I found that something looked wrong, and found that the cabin area had once again broken away from the fuselage. The joints I repaired and reinforced with carbon fiber mat held, but it broke right next to those joints. I called Motion RC and we arranged a meeting early the next morning at their warehouse which was only a 30 minute drive. After review, they agreed to replace the fuselage and associated parts (I didn't want or need wings, they were fine), so I took all my gear out and left it with them, so they could dissect it as needed. I really appreciate their FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SERVICE! They are genuinely interested in putting out a quality product and I want to assist with that as much as I can.
                  So, I'm starting to re-assemble the airplane, but looking closely at what can be done to help this not happen again. I am concerned that any hard landing will lead to this problem (you shouldn't land hard, I know!). So I am looking at adding some kind of support around the threaded rod that goes into the top of the side of the fuse to support the landing gear. This is where all the stress is being sent from the landing gear. So, trying to engineer something to make that better and stronger.. I am also looking at modifying the main landing gear strut. The spring action on this part only allows for 7mm of movement by the spring-loaded gear strut. I want to increase this and to also reduce the amount of pressure required to allow the strut to move (spring tension). I am pretty much set on creating a operating landing gear much like the full-scale version. I will have to make fiberglass strut covers that will telescope into each other, but that is not hard. I'm working with Dennis Crooks at Robart to see if they can make a strut for it. Stay tuned.
                  Wow that is a bad separation on the fuselage. I haven't had that issue after some 25+ flights but I'm going to keep a close eye on it. Terminater007 had posted a picture of added support at the exact point you mention, reposting his picture here. I've been trying to work up something similar to this mod. And i'll be tuning in for more scale landing gear....would be awesome if Robart can do.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image_40370.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	203061

Comment

There's a thread on RCME forums by Shaun Watersand he made up scale struts for this same plane..

pictures from website

Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I'm working with Dennis Crooks at Robart and will be meeting with him this week at the Air Supremacy over Goshen, IN Warbirds event. Hopefully we can come up with a strut that will be able to work. Here's another picture of the struts from the RCME forum... I'll post once I come back from the event..
                      Attached Files

Comment

3RedPapa: I also saw that. That mod would help make sure the load goes to the entire area of the attachment, but that really does not reduce the load on the formers where the cabin area is. They are only 1/8" ply, and a very cheap, lite ply as well. I found that the metal rods that go down into the bottom of the fuse from the wing tubes have large wheel collars on the end of them under the servo tray to help support the shock placed on the upper part of the front cabin on landing... In my case, the collars were not tight enough and the rods slipped out under stress... otherwise they would have caused the plywood on the servo tray area to break... I am also going to look into improving that somehow, or maybe adding two more rods that go all the way through the bottom of the fuselage. I would remove the covering and balsa there and add a Carbon Fiber plate that would be glued to the bottom of the fuse and connect to the plywood formers and framing. The rods would go through them and be held in place with a nut or something so the CF plate and fuselage structure system absorb the show and stay intact...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF3A View Post
                          3RedPapa: I also saw that. That mod would help make sure the load goes to the entire area of the attachment, but that really does not reduce the load on the formers where the cabin area is. They are only 1/8" ply, and a very cheap, lite ply as well. I found that the metal rods that go down into the bottom of the fuse from the wing tubes have large wheel collars on the end of them under the servo tray to help support the shock placed on the upper part of the front cabin on landing... In my case, the collars were not tight enough and the rods slipped out under stress... otherwise they would have caused the plywood on the servo tray area to break... I am also going to look into improving that somehow, or maybe adding two more rods that go all the way through the bottom of the fuselage. I would remove the covering and balsa there and add a Carbon Fiber plate that would be glued to the bottom of the fuse and connect to the plywood formers and framing. The rods would go through them and be held in place with a nut or something so the CF plate and fuselage structure system absorb the show and stay intact...
                          Got it...if you do use CF to reinforce please post pictures. And looking forward to any development on the struts.

Comment

Are that’s all the surfaces deflections on the BH fiesler storch adequate? I particularly question if the elevated deflection of 10/12 mm enough for this plane?

Comment

I set the
                              movements on the Elevator to about 25mm each way.

Comment

Thanks, I did set mine a 25mm for high rate and 15mm for low rate.

Comment

The New Storch has arrived at The Boozer House and we are so excited to start building wanted to share some pictures with you and we plan on sharing much more as the build goes on. First impression of the airplane is awesome! The covering is fantastic on this model and I love how they printed all the rivets and hatches on the plane out of the box. Anyway if you want to see the full unbox stop by the Boozer channel https://youtu.be/VfG-190E43o and I will post updates as we go here.

Comment

Is this ARF being assembled/manufactured here in the US by MotionRC, or are you shipping them from Vietnam? I see some comments by TonyF3A about prefab-construction changes and I am curious. As many have said this ARF has been out of production for a few years prior to last march, and I was saddened last year when none could be found inside the US. Ended up shelling out for the Pheonix Models Giant Stuka instead as per my profile icon. Only a few ARFs left in the MotionRC store, so I am hoping these ARFs will still be in stock or back-ordered later this coming fall.

Comment

You definitely need the 25mm of elevator throw, especially to land and flair nice.

The Blackhorse models are made in Vietnam and at this time, I don't know of any changes that have been made to the airframe. I did work with them and they have changed the info on the CG location on the online instructions, so make sure you balance it at 1/4" behind the back edge of the front wing tube!

I mentioned to them that they should work with the factory to make the tail section lighter, as it took over 4 pounds of lead to balance it using the DLE 35RE. I have my replacement parts, but am currently finishing up a Hanger 9 Fokker DVII for a review in Model Aviation, then back to the Fieseler....I am planning on using carbon pushrods for elevator and pull-pull rudder (to save tail weight). I am working on a plan to re-enforce the cabin area by running rods from the front wing tub in the cabin down through the bottom of the fuse. Plan on removing some of the bottom covering to add a carbon plate where this rod would go through. Should give plenty of support for the landing gear area. Once I get that designed and installed, I will provide the info to Motion for them to see about modifying the kit to increase the structural support for the landing gear/cabin area.

Finally, I will install some new functioning landing gear from Robart that will give several inches of movement for the wheels. This will require modification to the strut area as well, but once again, I will provide all this to Motion so they can adjust the kit, hopefully!

Comment

First day of building and the wings are finished. The quality of components are fantastic and we are vary impressed with how easy everything has been to assemble. Tomorrow we start in on the fuselage hopefully we will have everything except motor finished tomorrow check out the video update tomorrow on the Merry Boozer YouTube channel http://youtube.com/c/MerryBoozerRC

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Robart 001.JPG
Views:	1169
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	210240Click image for larger version

Name:	Robart 002.JPG
Views:	1099
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	210241Click image for larger version

Name:	Robart 003.JPG
Views:	1086
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	210242

I just received some custom made struts from Dennis Crooks at Robart. These are the gray colored struts in the picture. The main difference is that I have about 50mm of travel on compression of the strut, instead of the 7mm travel,and that the spring is replaceable, allowing me to change it out if I need more or less tension. He modified the top section so that it will still attach to the upper strut leg (the one that mounts to the fuselage near the wing), but it now can pivot. All that is needed is to modify the two bottom strut braces so that they can also pivot at the fuselage mounts. They will attach to each side of the landing gear brace mount that is just above the axle mount on the gear. The axle is now a straight piece of rod instead of being bent. Now to start work installing it... more to come!

Comment

Working...
                                          X