X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Horse Dornier Do-335

This thread is for those interested in finding out more details and expressing interest in the Dornier Do-335 by Black Horse. Alpha has shared valuable insights into his experiences with the Black Horse products currently being carried by our friends at Motion RC. Maybe he will chime in with his experiences with this unusual and much sought after model.

One question came to mind about this model's motor configuration. What is the best choice for motor rotation direction of the aft motor and how does it impact torque, roll, and yaw during flight?

Another obvious feature of this model is the lower vertical stablizer and rudder. Landing orientation will need to be flatter than most aircraft.

Here are a few more details about the model itself:

SPECIFICATION:
    – Wingspan: 1,724mm (67.87in).
    – Length: 1,731mm (68.15 in).
    – Weight: 6 kg (13.2lbs).
    – Wing area: 61.4dm2.
    – Wing loading: 97.72g/dm2.
    – Wing type: Naca Airfoil.
    – Servo mount: 42mm x 21mm.
    – Gear type: Electric retract gear, size: (92.2 x 51 x 30.6)mm (not included).
    Oleo struts (included).
    – Spinner: 80mm.

Parts listing required (not included):
    – Radio: 06 channels.
    – Servo: 07 servos.
    – Motor : Brushless outrunner 1000-1800W, 800KV . (2pcs).
    – Propeller: Suit with your engine.

Recommended Motor and Battery set up (not included):
    – Motor : Suitable Admiral Brushless Motor . (2pcs).
    – Lipo cell: 6 cells 5,000mAh.
    – ESC: 60A. (2pcs)

NOT INCLUDING ELECTRIC GEAR RETRACTS
    ONLY INCLUDING OLEO STRUTS.
    ALL BALSA – PLY WOOD CONSTRUCTION.
    COVERED IN A HEAT-SHRINK FILM WITH PRINTED.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Do-335.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	194925Click image for larger version  Name:	Do-3356.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	194926Click image for larger version  Name:	Do-3353.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.7 KB ID:	194927Click image for larger version  Name:	Do-3352.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	194928Click image for larger version  Name:	Do-3354.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.7 KB ID:	194929Click image for larger version  Name:	Do-3355.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.3 KB ID:	194930

I'm also interested to see if there's any interest in us stocking this model. I quite enjoy it for various reasons, not least of which is how unique it looks on the ground and in the air. Its performance is good and its overall representation of the Do-335 is acceptable for my tastes. It would make a great base for weathering.

Twowingtj, BH's standard setup is a CW tractor prop in the nose and a CCW pusher prop in the tail. With this setup it's a worry-free takeoff experience. Rotation is flat and smooth like a bomber --the model doesn't leap upwards into the sky. It's predictable and easy to control. Whether on twin 4s or a 6s, I didn't find the model especially fast. It's more like an F3A flyer in some ways, just in warbird clothing. Overall the cruise speed and stall speed are reasonably spaced and power was adequate for the usual range of flight maneuvers.

The model assumes a generally flat attitude when being brought in for landing with low power. Just don't deadstick it or overflare at the last minute, and you'll be fine. Full flaps with a millimeter or two of down elevator mixed in and minimal power to control descent. If I was on grass I wouldn't worry at all. if I was on pavement I might pay more attention to the landing attitude, and also if needed look into making the ventral stab magnetic or at least reinforced somehow. In a way it's a risk with a magnetic stab because you wouldn't want it departing on a tough landing and encountering the aft prop. It's simply one of the quirks of being able to fly this very unique design. I've seen people ask for a Do-335 in the past, so I assume they've accepted that quirk.

I like the stock oleo struts. One thing I would do if I had another one would be to design a 3DP door cover for the nose since the nose cavity is rather large.

Another note is that the rudder has lots of authority. Knife edge, pattern flying, and mild acrobatics is possible, if desired.

Finally, get some touch-up paint to cover the fiberglass control horns. It really helps to tie the entire look together.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Great looking Warbird. It would be a great addition to your lineup.

Comment

I have always wanted a Do-335!

Comment

This looks nice, really like the do335.
          I was more hopeful for a slightly smaller foam one, might be a bit more scale, lighter and more suitable for a smaller field. Since setup and tune might be a little tricky as well, would be nice to have a freewing quality assurance and set up team on it :o)
          rc flyin addict

Comment

I said earlier over on the Black Horse Announcement thread that I wanted them to include this in their lineup. Why.......cause Twins are 2X the Fun ;) and I'm right there with Tony :Cool:
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I have the little V-MAR version and flies very well, nice sound and is at least different ! Quality and "scaleness" leaves a lot to be desired but it is what it is for the money. Would definitely purchase the larger and more scale Blackhorse version if available.
              Have found little problem with landing the VMAR (no flaps and fixed gear) no need to flare her on, lands quite flat but not sure how scale the lower fin is. The landing gear has to be very 'legy" anyway just to clear props. I have counter rotating props -- 3 blade Master tractor front, pusher rear. No concerns re torque or yaw.
              I say yes, bring her to the USA.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	43.9 KB ID:	195205Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	195209

Its a very nice Plane to Fly - i gave the plane a coat of Matt Clear also helps to use half flap on take off :):)

Comment

Very nice pics and a nice DO.

cheers, markus

Comment

Thank you....

Comment

Thanks for adding your pics of this bird Terminater007. If you would, please add your flight experiences with this bird to this thread as well.

Some RC pilots tend to shy away form a model that is of an unconventional design. If the full scale and the model are designed right, they don't have any bad flight characteristics. It sounds like the BH Do-335 was designed well.

This guy will be first in line when it becomes available at Motion RC. It will look great next to the BV-141B.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BV11.JPG Views:	0 Size:	304.2 KB ID:	195285

Comment

A nice Do-335 has been at the top of my want list for a long time. I’d definitely get one if Motion added it to their Black Horse offerings.
                        ---
                        Warbirder

Comment

I agree with what Terminater007 said in the general Black Horse discussion thread about the Do-335's tendency to fly straight "like an arrow", and "a pattern plane". It's nice to see a growing interest in us keeping inventory of the Black Horse Do-335. Keep posting.... we're listening!

:Cool:
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Been wanting one of these for a long time. Like the uniqueness of the plane overall! ;)

Comment

Alpha, I can keep posting but before I do, how many do you need before you can push the "get inventory" button ?

Comment

Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
                                Alpha, I can keep posting but before I do, how many do you need before you can push the "get inventory" button ?
                                LOL "I can keep posting" had me snorting some coffee.
                                I've heard somewhere in the past that the actual buyers versus tire kickers/bebackers is about a 1:12 ratio.
                                So if Motion had a min order point of say 50 units, based on the above ratio then that would mean about 600 folks need to chime in;)
                                Just keep stroking that Black Horse marketing drum
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Put me in the definite buyer group. A nice Do-335 has been at the top of my want list for looooooong time.
                                  ---
                                  Warbirder

Comment

buyer here also! even willing to preorder so you can weed out the tire kickers

Joe
                                    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

Just keep them coming, but still, the most effective way to register you desired and interest in a particular model is to contact us directly and talk to our CS guys and let them know, they'd love to hear your thoughts on the range in general too. They are keep a record that we'll use to help us in bringing you guys what you asked for most.

They can be contacted directly on this number for our US users: 224-633-9090

S.

Comment

Stuart, can we send an email to the CS guys instead of calling?
                                        ---
                                        Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                        X