X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P40b foamie fms 1400mm

Does anyone know when assymbing the two halves of the wings together, I'm a little sketchy because if crash you will need to replace what are recommendar

Originally posted by scott53 View Post
    Does anyone know when assymbing the two halves of the wings together, I'm a little sketchy because if crash you will need to replace what are recommendar

Hello Scott...........welcome to the Squawk.
    There is a lot of great knowledgeable folks here that are always willing to help.
    When asking for help you need to be more concise as to what you are looking for.
    You question is actually sketchy to use your verbiage.;)
    Here is the actual "Official" thread on the FMS P-40B for other great reference information.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hey there Warbird Charlie, yea you wern't kidding I was way tired when I prosted that question, had not fully recovered from third shift grogginess.
      my question was or is I had come across some individuals that glued their wings together not on the fms foammies but other planes...now I saw that tower hobbies sold replacement wings at around 60.00 and change.both sides. So I was thinking I guess it really doesn't hurt anything to go ahead and glue them? I would really like some thoughts on this I haven't installed my wings yet I'm waiting for some direction on this.

Comment

All my 1400 sized foamy warbirds have the wing halves glued together since that size has never been an issue for transport.
        I use Gorilla white glue on the wing joinery because I don't want an elastic joint as is had with FoamTac which I use for foam hinge repair and other non high stress loaded requirements.
        I also just like the security of not just relying on the 2 plastic joiner clips holding the wings together especially with some of the maneuvers I put these through with my upgraded power plants :Scared:
        I was the first to put the FMS 1500 P-47 motor (4258-kV460 on 6S) into the Warhawk and then show it's unlimited vertical at NEFI last year:Cool:
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks Warbird Charlie much appreciated, I did purchase some gorilla glue not the white however it was the amber said safe for foam. Never being in the foamie arena before I'm learning, and trying not to melt the plane before I get it up in the air.

I will go back to the store and purchase the gorilla white glue, I'm not at your skill level and appreciate your advice.with the build tips on these planes, I also have a bf109e-4 ,1100mm, by durafly I Picked up from Hobbie king along with the Orange TX6i .radio just to Check it out. I will apply the same tip to that wing if it is in two halves.

Do you bother with Weathering and panel lines? I would like it to have a more rugged used look not the just rolled off the assembly lline look.

Comment

CB's P-40 rocked on 6s so I went that route as well. That was actually the Nefi before last as he and I got to fly our 6s P-40s last year at Nefi.
            As for roughing them up, there ain't no rougher P-40 than mine!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1157.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.4 KB ID:	197568Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6891.JPG Views:	0 Size:	169.8 KB ID:	197569

LOLLOLLOL;)
            BTW, the tank is now on CB's P-40, that's what HobbySquawk is all about!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

I've loved the P-40B since I was a kid, and finally broke down and got this model. My hesitation until now, was mainly due to "OK" performance on 4s (my father has been flying one for a few years). Then I read about the upgrade to 6s and the 460Kv motor (same as the FMS 1500mm P-47, which I have). This really got my attention, and now have the model -- and motor -- in hand.

Have there been any stock propeller failures reported with this power setup?

Comment

BEHR Paint Colors

I made my usual trip to Home Depot, new stab in hand, to get careful scans and samples of BEHR flat latex. The guy said they had just calibrated their equipment. I also know that they got new units about two months ago. Anyway, all three colors were only about as close as "gray, brown and green". The guy knew too, and offered to try again -- we carefully re-scanned two of the colors, came up with entirely different formulas, got the samples mixed, and again, not very close.

I guess I've gotten spoiled -- when I got samples of the colors for the v2 Freewing Me-262, I was amazed at how spot-on they were. I'm trying to remember if this was BEFORE the "new and improved" paint mixing machine.

I'm wondering if anybody had gotten BEHR samples that were spot-on in the past, and could you post photos of the labels?

Comment

Maybe try Ace Hardware if you can, I've never had a problem with the color matching system there.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

Yes, good idea -- I was thinking of trying them out -- we have a very good one nearby. What brand of paint to they sample? I'm afraid I've gotten to love BEHR brand (much nicer than the Valspar from Lowes IMO). I use these paints not only for touch up, but for entire repaints and have been getting excellent results with the BEHR.

I posted this question in RCG and got formulas for Sherwin Williams colors from Lowes. Home Depot has formulas for "competitor colors" in their system and gave them a try yesterday. The brown turned out very close (Stone Statue, Sherwin Williams). The green, not so much -- too light, too dull. The scanned green I got was too dark and too vivid! I'm going to try mixing the two in small amounts and see what I get.

The gray has been hard, but that's the nature of gray when it has anything other than black and white. Just the slightest amount of blue, red or yellow hues will make it very tricky to match. I'm going from memory here, but I think that was why US "neutral gray" was formulated; to not have those issue -- I think it's just black and white.

Comment

They have Clarke and Kensington brand paint and I've used them for years now with excellent results, everything from touch ups to complete repaints, such as my Flightline Tigercat, which as you know comes in Navy Blue. I just primed it and painted, then spray a pearl clear coat over that, then Minwax Pro Spar Varathane. Looks great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9779.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	198304Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9681.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	198305

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment