Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will adding a UBEC compensate for a brownout, caused by RF interference? All that the UBEC will do is keep power supplied to the RX, if the ESC’s internal BEC can’t keep up with the power demand on the RX bus.

In my opinion, the recommendation to install a UBEC is poor advice. Instead, I’d suggest looking at the antenna placement, relative to the battery or the motor wires (which should not be a problem since the ESC and motor are well infront of the RX, unless something really weird was done). For example, if the antenna is running under or next to the battery, at certain angles, the battery mass will block the RF path from the TX to the RX antenna. Also, I’ve had a couple problems with Lemon receivers, momentarily dropping out, but his was due to motor wires running too close to the RX (on rear engined EDFs and twin engined EDFs). I don’t know which RX you're using. Anyway, I’d suggest that you look for a remedy, other than a UBEC, if you’re trying to solve a brownout problem.

BTW, I’m a huge fan of the Castle 10A UBECs. I fly them in all of my bigger, mega-servo’d warbirds.
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

I concur with Oxo's conclusion based on the OP's comment of "several brownouts & near military base".
      Brownouts come in two variety of sources.............loss of RF signal and loss of power.
      The probability of multiple power losses is most likely less a cause than from RF interference from the spectrum of questionable RF radiation being spewed from that military base.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I recently purchased the Flightline Dora, and followed the directions to set it up. I am running it with the recommended Admiral RX600SP receiver, Spektrum DX6 transmitter, and a Turnigy 3s 3000mah Nano battery. I set it up with the default gyro mode. The CG was spot on, and maybe with the smallest tilt towards the nose. On the first flight, the thing was entirely uncontrollable. All I could manage was the throttle, and the rest of the plane was pretty much doing its own thing. It crashed into a tree, but only suffered some paint removal on the wings luckily. I turned off the Gyro settings entirely, and the plane was still uncontrollable. Its weird, because the control surfaces respond perfectly and predictably on the ground, but as soon as it gets in the air, its like I have no control over this thing. Motion RC said its a CG problem, so I tried two more flights....one with slight tail heavy, and another with slightly more nose heavy, and the plane did the same thing. After that, they won't really help me anymore via email support. This is my first Motion RC plane, and I have heard great things about them, but it would be nice to get some support and help in this situation. I really want to like the plane, but right now, I cant fly it with this weird stuff going on.

Any idea whats going on here, or how I can troubleshoot the situation? Its so weird, because the plane is so erratic, I cant get it to fly straight enough to get it up to speed. Literally nose up, then nose down, the flipping around, then rolling upside down, then changing directions, etc.... Like it has a mind of its own.

Comment

This is just a guess but it sounds like the gyro settings are not correct. Can you disable the gyro completely and see how it flies? I no longer use Spektrum compatible equipment, but if i remember correctly MotionRC has a very detailed video on how to set up this receiver and verify that all settings are correct.

Comment

Yeah, I would really like to use the gyro for stabilization, however, I need to get the plane to fly correctly without it, then mess with enabling it in the air, ya know. Because the control surfaces seem to respond perfectly on the ground, it should fly properly for me without the stabilization / gyro enabled.

Comment

Oh, and I do have everything setup as indicated in the instruction manual for Spektrum. Wish there was a better way to test things rather than launching the plane and discovering things arent working, which results in crashes on a brand new plane. I guess thats what their spare parts are for? Also, I didnt anticipate replacing the wings, but the plastic skid plate makes it pretty tough to remove the wing from the fuselage. I should have cut the plastic skid plate so the wing was easily removable without fully removing the skid plate.

Comment

It is the setup of the gyro you need to be concerned with - especially the direction of the gyro corrections, not the movement of the controls with the stick. See if you can find the Admiral RX600SP setup video on MotionRC.

Comment

so it has been years since I have built a new plane. CG shows bottom of the wing. I have always been told low wing planes you flip and measure CG on topside of wing. I saw one video of CG being set with plane rightside up and fingers under wing. Is that correct?

Comment

Ok, I ordered the standard 4 channel Spektrum Sport receiver. Gonna swap that out soon and then try to fly it again. That way, it eliminates a gyro messing things up for me.

Yeah, the CG shows the bottom of the wing, from a specific point of reference which does not occur on the top of the wing. Thats a terrible design, especially since you are suppose to test for CG on a low wing upside down. They need to give you a point of reference on the top of the wing, so you are exact when you flip it upside down. That makes no sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Habanero View Post
                      Ok, I ordered the standard 4 channel Spektrum Sport receiver. Gonna swap that out soon and then try to fly it again. That way, it eliminates a gyro messing things up for me.

Yeah, the CG shows the bottom of the wing, from a specific point of reference which does not occur on the top of the wing. Thats a terrible design, especially since you are suppose to test for CG on a low wing upside down. They need to give you a point of reference on the top of the wing, so you are exact when you flip it upside down. That makes no sense to me.
                      One thing I have read is if throws are set at 100% the plane can be super squirrelly. What do you have your throws set to?

Comment

It was totally uncontrollable, flying like it had a mind of its own. Just going to eliminate the gyro, and I am guessing it should fly fine after that.

Comment

Hi Habanero, welcome to Hobby Squawk! For any gyro or gyroceiver, especially one transplanted into another aircraft, I always recommend programming a switch to disable the gyro mid-flight, just in case its settings are fighting against you.

For CG, most modelers don't want a CG blister molded into the top of their warbird's wings, so a measurement is given which users will then reference when balancing the model in its proper orientation. In the case of a low wing warbird such as your FW-190 D.9 Dora, you are correct in that the model should be inverted when the CG is being balanced. Our official Build Video should verify this.

The CG we provide in the manual is meant to be measured with the model inverted. That being said, I have seen people convert this measurement into one that can be measured with the model upright. To do this, first measure the CG with the model inverted and using the measurement according to the manual. Now your model is balanced. Without moving the battery, flip the model to an upright position, then move your fingertips around until you find a location where it is balanced in its current (upright) position. Mark that spot. Now, if you're ever in a hurry and don't want to invert the model to balance it, you can just reference your upright position's measurement. It won't be the same distance as the inverted measurement, but the two will correspond to each other. This is, by the way, much more helpful for larger airplanes, where it is inconvenient to invert a 30lb Mustang every time one goes to the flying field. But the logic still applies to even small Toss n' Boss birds like your Dora.

Happy flying and best of luck on your re-maiden!
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Would it be possible to fly the model with another RX to make sure there isn’t something else wrong? Could you also fly the RX in a trusted model like and old PZ T-28? This could help eliminate other issues. Just a thought.

Comment

Hi all!

who's here who added Rudder to this model? how to make? thanks

Comment

Done :)

Comment

boko Looks good, Boko! Welcome to Hobby Squawk! I'm glad to see another modeler out there who customizes their aircraft. You'll find many similar people here on Hobby Squawk whom also enjoy customizing.

Have you maidened your Dora yet?

Comment

got mine together, vn plane. I do have a question if some1 could help on the elevator halves what is considered neutral on this plane? if someone can show me a pic of there plane with it in the neutral postion that would be great. thx glenn

Comment

well habanero you are not the only one with that issue, I maiden mine yesterday with a 6 chan no stab rec,. set throws to just a little under low rates and holy crap was all over the place ended up in a bush lucky only major damage was a broken prop. I changed the prop and set the throws to less than 1/2 of low rates and was a lot better. on the transmitter settings I had it at 30% on ele and ail. now it flies great. with the stated low rates plane was uncontrollable.

Comment

Hey Guys
                                        iam pretty new to rc planes , I have some fms 800mm war birds that I like , but this Fw 190 D-9 Dora 850mm looks amazing so iam thinking of buying one for my small collection.

my question please, is i only have the basic 4 channel fms radio and receiver set up on my fms 800mm, could I use this fms radio/receiver on this Fw 190 D-9 Dora 850mm .

do any of you have the fms 800mm and this new Fw 190 D-9 Dora 850mm for comparison.

thank you very much and happy flying
                                        mark 👍

Update ive decided to buy one , so bought from motionrc . Excited 😊

Comment

• Marky Hi Marky, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Those two aircraft are fairly similar and you shouldn't have too much trouble operating the Flightline Dora if you're already confident operating the FMS 800mm birds. A radio/receiver combo would work in any airplane, but something to be mindful of is the settings. Typically, FMS RTF radio/receiver combos are basic radios, as most all RTF airplanes are from most manufacturers. Those radios don't have Exponential (Expo), which is a setting that many pilots use to soften the sensitivity of the control sticks around the centerpoint. This can provide a more relaxed flying experience, especially with smaller, lighter models such as the two we're talking about here. I recommend a radio/receiver combo that provides programmable Expo, for the best experience with the Flightline Dora (I developed this project).

That being said, I understand that you already have your FMS radio/receiver combo and may not be inclined to buy a new radio system just to fly the Dora. If you're already comfortable flying that radio/receiver combo in your FMS 800mm, then transferring it to your Flightline 850mm won't take much work. You'll just need to of course verify that the control inputs and moving in the correct directions and that your settings are too your liking. As always, triple-check everything before your first flight, because you'll be responsible for the physical and electronic setup of your model with your choice of radio/receiver. Ask questions, etc, and you'll equip yourself with a higher chance of success and enjoyment.

Comment

Working...
                                          X