Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Official Announcement: FlightLine 1600mm P-38 Lightning!!!

On Man, those pictures look Goooood! Love the zinc chromate, and the formation lights! Can't wait for the video, and some pics of the Pacific Silver. Looks like you guys hit this one out of the park!
    I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
    ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

Excellent job guys! I've been waiting on a good P-38, and its nice to see you're focused on some of the different stuff...really nice additions to the hobby!!  You fellas at Motion RC are really in tune with what people want and you always seem bring some really cool planes to market. Its nice when hard core enthusiasts run the show!! Keep the good stuff coming...and here's an idea...how about a military (as in not another Rare Bear) F8F Bearcat...say 1400mm?? :D :D
      Big time propeller head
      Love flying scale and 3D
      Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

Alpha, it's great to see some pictures of the 38 in green. now trying to wait for them to ship is even harder!
        AKA meltor

Comment

I've been pushing for that as well Starck, An F8F since it is the 70th anniversary of the Blue Angels and it was their first demonstration aircraft!!

BEARCAT!!!! BEARCAT!!!! BEARCAT!!!!

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

i would just love to see a F7F Tigercat!!
            AKA meltor

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Alpha! This one sure looks like it will be a winner. I believe I will have to set aside some money for a preorder. Can't wait to see more planes from Flightline. A 1200mm Avenger or 1600mm Doolittle Raid B-25B w/proper gear would be great candidates.

Comment

Bearcat, Avenger, B-25, add them to the list!
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by mr.frankenjet
                  On a twin is 1 bec then used or are both active/connected ? In addition what is the on board bec rated at, switching ??
                  (sorry just thinking here,no plane to mess with yet :o) thanks in advance for your help yet again)  :D
                  Depends on the BEC capabilities of the ESCs and the servo loads...

Common is to use a device (low voltage drop diode) to prevent the BECs backfeeding each other and having both active.

If one BEC is adequate its OK to do it that way.

Some will disable the ESC BECs and use a UBEC.

I personally take another option...
                  I disable both BECs and use a separate 2S LiFe for the RX and servos.

The only rule is: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH RX SYSTEM POWER
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

The Life batteries are a great option, but require a bit more room and add weight. I personally prefer a separate Castle bec if I question the capabilities of an internal bec (10 amps, 6v, very small, very light, and bullet proof) and if I build something or need a bigger ESC I just go with a Castle Talon or Edge ESC...which have 5 to 7 amp continuous with 8 to 20 amp burst capability in the internal bec's depending on the model. They can be adjusted to provide up to 6v to the system. The Life batteries do provide 6.6v, but I've never had any issues with 5.5v to 6v.
                    Big time propeller head
                    Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

Many older analog servo amps are voltage limited to around 4.8V nominal (5.3v).

If running higher that 5.1V look to the servo OEM for verification that the servo can operate at higher voltage with acceptable life. If the OEM will not provide this information buy a spare (test) servo and run an hour long burn in (durability test) on your own. Most modern radios offer this function.

Please post your findings here on Hobby Quawk, so that I don't need to run my own tests!

All the best,
                      Konrad

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad
                        Many older analog servo amps are voltage limited to around 4.8V nominal (5.3v).

If running higher that 5.1V look to the servo OEM for verification that the servo can operate at higher voltage with acceptable life. If the OEM will not provide this information buy a spare (test) servo and run an hour long burn in (durability test) on your own. Most modern radios offer this function.

Please post your findings here on Hobby Quawk, so that I don't need to run my own tests!

All the best,
                        Konrad
                        Konrad,

The castle bec's...being internal or external...are adjustable from 4v to 6v via Castle link.
                        Big time propeller head
                        Love flying scale and 3D

Comment

Not all the Castle BECs are adjustable, for example the smaller Talons.

The 2 cell Lixx battery will burn out many servos.

I'm advocating testing on the bench not in the air. Also a pet peeve of mine is that far too many products are sold without adequate documentation. The motor, servo, and EDF units on the MotionRC sales site are examples of this. I'm a firm believer that data will set you free.

Comment

Here are a few more photos of the Flightline 1600mm P-38 in "Allied Green".

A couple notes:

1) The landing light on the port side wing only turns on when the landing gear is down, which is a nice scale feature. That function, along with the sequenced gear doors, are handled by the circuit module encased in the blue plastic case (seen in the aft corner of the open battery bay photo).

2) The Canopy Cover is secured by a physical "foot" up front, two magnets in the middle, and a sliding latch in the rear.

3) The center position between the batteries and the receiver is a flat spot which straddles the CG, perfect for a gyro for those who love those doohickies.

4) A note about the wheel size, for those of you wanting larger wheels for grass operation, more scale effect, or both: We were able to make a last minute adjustment to allow the Dubro 2.75" Low Bounce Treaded wheel to drop right in, without having to modify the length of the main strut. So, disregard the modification notes I posted a few days ago.  Now, to use taller/thicker wheels, simply loosen the wheel collars on all three struts, replace the nose wheel with one of the main wheels, slide the Dubro wheels onto the main struts, then return and tighten the wheel collars. The entire process can be completed in about 30 seconds. This "mod" now becomes more of a "swap", since nothing needs to be cut. You're welcome  Video coming soon, among the others. For those of you who want to go even bigger to a 3" main wheel, you'll need to shim the retract up about 4mm. There is enough clearance inside the doors. Same thing with the nose strut's forward rake, if you want a little extra than stock (picture attached).
                            Attached Files

Comment

I purchased the silver....and will most likely not rest until I purchase the Olive Drab (green) livery too.....as posted on RCGroups.com regarding the landing gear wheels modification......this is really exciting news. The more I look into this model regarding the lights...battery hatch, wiring, flaps, motors, props, fit and finish........this airframes is checking all of my boxes and the price is excellent for a 1600mm offering.

FlightLine releases look to be very promising models that may be game changers to each airframe.

Growing more excited to receive this P-38.....I even have an eye on retrofitting the FMS P-51D Oleo struts into the airframe.....even though the model does not seem to need them according to flight performance comments so far. But - for the sake of those who can't help but modify just from the compulsion of "Fiddly" the 1600mm size affords loads of "Hackability" - LOL

TwistedGrin

Comment

TG, reference the rear oleos. Alpha had stated that putting them on the rear, could allow the rudders to scrape in anything less than a perfect landing. That said, I've been eyeballing several front oleos on HK. That mod would not only look cool, but may help with steering on a bumpy runway, as well as take some stress off of the front retract and steering mechanism...
                                I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
                                ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber
                                  Originally posted by mr.frankenjet
                                  On a twin is 1 bec then used or are both active/connected ? In addition what is the on board bec rated at, switching ??
                                  (sorry just thinking here,no plane to mess with yet :o) thanks in advance for your help yet again)  :D
                                  Depends on the BEC capabilities of the ESCs and the servo loads...

Common is to use a device (low voltage drop diode) to prevent the BECs backfeeding each other and having both active.

If one BEC is adequate  its OK to do it that way.

Some will disable the ESC BECs and use a UBEC.

I personally take another option...
                                  I disable both BECs and use a separate 2S LiFe for the RX and servos.

The only rule is:  MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH RX SYSTEM POWER
                                  for me $20 for a cc10 is cheep insurance, larger planes with allot of gear and over 3 cells (the ability of bec's to deliver current drops with higher voltage) always get this right away. A little over kill but the small investment is well worth it.
                                  [hr]
                                  Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                                  Here are a few more photos of the Flightline 1600mm P-38 in "Allied Green".

A couple notes:

1) The landing light on the port side wing only turns on when the landing gear is down, which is a nice scale feature. That function, along with the sequenced gear doors, are handled by the circuit module encased in the blue plastic case (seen in the aft corner of the open battery bay photo).

2) The Canopy Cover is secured by a physical "foot" up front, two magnets in the middle, and a sliding latch in the rear.

3) The center position between the batteries and the receiver is a flat spot which straddles the CG, perfect for a gyro for those who love those doohickies.

4) A note about the wheel size, for those of you wanting larger wheels for grass operation, more scale effect, or both: We were able to make a last minute adjustment to allow the Dubro 2.75" Low Bounce Treaded wheel to drop right in, without having to modify the length of the main strut. So, disregard the modification notes I posted a few days ago.  Now, to use taller/thicker wheels, simply loosen the wheel collars on all three struts, replace the nose wheel with one of the main wheels, slide the Dubro wheels onto the main struts, then return and tighten the wheel collars. The entire process can be completed in about 30 seconds. This "mod" now becomes more of a "swap", since nothing needs to be cut. You're welcome  Video coming soon, among the others. For those of you who want to go even bigger to a 3" main wheel, you'll need to shim the retract up about 4mm. There is enough clearance inside the doors. Same thing with the nose strut's forward rake, if you want a little extra than stock (picture attached).
                                  Fantastic Alpha !! Plane looks great, she will be sitting pretty on a little chubbier treads.
                                  rc flyin addict

Comment

FLTRI is right, I wouldn't recommend Oleos on the rear, unless you're a great lander, and/or you're landing on pavement. On grass, anything but the smoothest suspension Oleos will instead increase the likelihood of scraping the tail. Anticipating people doing that, we sheathed the lower vertical stabs with plastic so they're more resistant to damage. I'll keep mine stock. That being said, I'd love to see what you come up with! Customizing is one of my favorite parts of this hobby.

I'd agree with you, TwistedGrin, that these models make excellent bases for "Hackability". We design these models with many factors in mind, and scale fidelity is one of them, but ultimately it's a model's flight characteristics and overall profile and quality and pricepoint which are more important aspects. Afterall, this isn't a Scale Masters competition --it's foam! But that doesn't mean we can't at least try to get closer than previous offerings, and then beyond that point let the modelers out there take their models to the "next level".

These Flightline aircraft are great in that regard. A good example is the P-38's radio boxes behind the pilot's seat, which aren't painted separate colors, but at least they're molded into the foam and it would take a few minutes for a pilot to paint and detail them if he/she chose to. The Sea Fury's gun ports are left open in case someone wanted to add lights inside. The La-7's cowl is plastic which accepts more aggressive weathering like the "real thing". Little things, which give the modelers among us a more versatile platform. Certainly ones worth the time and effort.

In the future we'll have customer galleries and photo contests, so get your airbrushes and dremels out and your thinking caps on!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                                      In the future we'll have customer galleries and photo contests, so get your airbrushes and dremels out and your thinking caps on!
                                      Now that's just mean, forcing folks to see what I can do with an airbrush and some stickers!:dodgy:

Comment

Is this Airframe going to be offered raw eventually ? I have my own airshow type scheme that I am designing. The larger wheels are nice, but I have already dealt with the tail strikes issue on a previous P-38 that I made the LG more scale looking, ended up destroying the booms on it. I like the photo contest, that sounds like alot of fun....
                                        FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                                        DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                                        Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                                        J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

Funny, Konrad ;) For you, we'll also expect subtle weathering with dry chalk and charcoal, with a matte clearcoat.

Olwarbirds, we're not planning on issuing raw kits at the moment. These Flightline models are going to be using a new process for paint, and frankly I'd recommend using that paint as a primer and simply painting over it for your custom "airshow" scheme. The weight gain will be negligible and your final paintjob will be more durable. I've painted the bare foam prototypes and I can tell you from personal experience that it is much more advantageous to paint over the factory paint compared to painting bare foam.

I'd imagine "Pacific Silver" would make a great basecoat for an airshow scheme. Can't wait to see it!

Comment

Working...
                                          X