Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine RC 1600mm P-38 Lightning Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Official Announcement: FlightLine 1600mm P-38 Lightning!!!

Not fair, I'm an engineer not an artist! Now I have to look for a nude model to pose for my nose art. Maybe, trying to be an artist isn't so bad.:idea:
    Attached Files

Comment

That's good news reference the new paint process, Alpha. The recent pictures look very smooth. I know it's early, but do you expect the Pacific Silver to have as smooth of a finish? If it doesn't, how late is too late for me to change my order to green? The look of foam cells just really annoy me...

Also, as upsizing the wheels are a simple swap, why not ship the planes with the bigger wheels already installed? Is there any reason the smaller wheels would be more advantageous?
      I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
      ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

Will there be a published way to repair this new finish in the knowledge base?

Comment

FLTRI, we expect the same level of foam surface smoothness on the silver as on the green --they're struck from the same molds, after all. The bright gloss silver will of course pick up shadows more and accentuate the slightest marks compared to the flat matte green. This is the first silver plane being done with this new process, but we have high hopes. I'll take a picture and post it here in a few minutes showing the silver.
          [hr]
          We're happy with the stock wheels as they are, and the majority of preorders and feedback we've received supports that. It's important to note that the production model's main wheels, as shown in the green P-38 photos above from yesterday, are thicker and slightly taller than the main wheels shown in the silver Prototype P-38, whose pictures are at the beginning of this thread from last week.

The "wheel swap" uses heavier Dubro wheels, which Freewing/Flightline doesn't have mass access to.  The wheel swap mod was an accommodation which we made to make it easy for pilots who wanted to use the heavier/taller Dubro wheels. My comments last week on manufacturer's efforts to use existing standardized parts within reason and the [un]cost effectiveness of making thousands of entirely new wheels still stands. The wheel swap at least meets you half way, and negates the need to cut anything.

Here's a picture showing the real P-38 and you can see just how much space the main wheel occupies inside the boom... fitting a main wheel that large in a foam plane was impossible. The foam wall and necessary carbon spinal spar prevented such. Don't think we didn't try, but ultimately we were not willing to weaken that critical support area for the sake of a huge wheel. We toyed with the idea of a thicker wheel, but proportionally speaking there is only so much width one can add for a given height, before it looks even more wrong.
          [hr]
          Here's a photo of the fuel tanks in gray and silver. As you can see, the differences are very slight, if at all perceptible once you're more than a couple feet away. At "eye height", with both models sitting side by side on the ground while you're standing above them, one cannot tell the difference.
          Attached Files
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
            FLTRI is right, I wouldn't recommend Oleos on the rear, unless you're a great lander, and/or you're landing on pavement. On grass, anything but the smoothest suspension Oleos will instead increase the likelihood of scraping the tail. Anticipating people doing that, we sheathed the lower vertical stabs with plastic so they're more resistant to damage. I'll keep mine stock. That being said, I'd love to see what you come up with! Customizing is one of my favorite parts of this hobby.

I'd agree with you, TwistedGrin, that these models make excellent bases for "Hackability". We design these models with many factors in mind, and scale fidelity is one of them, but ultimately it's a model's flight characteristics and overall profile and quality and pricepoint which are more important aspects. Afterall, this isn't a Scale Masters competition --it's foam! But that doesn't mean we can't at least try to get closer than previous offerings, and then beyond that point let the modelers out there take their models to the "next level".

These Flightline aircraft are great in that regard. A good example is the P-38's radio boxes behind the pilot's seat, which aren't painted separate colors, but at least they're molded into the foam and it would take a few minutes for a pilot to paint and detail them if he/she chose to. The Sea Fury's gun ports are left open in case someone wanted to add lights inside. The La-7's cowl is plastic which accepts more aggressive weathering like the "real thing". Little things, which give the modelers among us a more versatile platform. Certainly ones worth the time and effort.

In the future we'll have customer galleries and photo contests, so get your airbrushes and dremels out and your thinking caps on!
            Thanks Alpha......in studying the airframe....Oleo's on the mains would most likely compress the ground and the Oleo's for a tail boom strike....so most likely the best place if any for Oleo may be the nose. As you have done...I'll fly on stock struts with the larger wheels on our club grass field and see how it does.

The major issue with the "Smaller" J-Power V2 P-38 landing gear was two fold: 1. The wheels are tiny thus prone to get caught up in nearly anything on grass strip. 2. The ground clearance makes it very difficult to operate on anything but freshly cut manicured golf course Bermuda short nap grass without prop digs.

So the size of the 1600mm scaling up to the larger sized wheels in addition to the ground clearance is most refreshing to see just from the photos. The stock set up is probably just fine....but for grass operations....the larger wheels can add another level of longevity to the gear and airframe.

I'd also like to express my excitement to the "Scale Fidelity" of this airframe....however when it comes to flying...I would rather compensate scale attributes for flight performance any day. I am also seeing the props set up for counter rotation you had set up is prop tips spinning outward to wing tips....this can easily be reversed of course. I have found benefits of counter rotation....but no measurable difference in flight performance setting up CR inward to Gondola or outward to wing tip. Again I am most excited to see CR props on this airframe!!

Thank you for posting info for us and helping us maintain composure or loss- LOL

TwistedGrin

Comment

TG, your instincts are spot on, as usual. :) I'd agree with you that given a choice between having a nose Oleo or mains Oleos, I'd choose the nose. I think Tom mentioned that in the RCGroups thread, for all the reasons you're suspecting. #Boomstrikerisk

For your grass, taxi it around on stock but have a pair of the Dubro mains ready to swap in. If you want extra bounce absorption, take the 30 seconds to swap these in:

http://www.motionrc.com/dubro-low-bounce-treaded-wheels-2-75-2-pack/?gclid=CIDM6ZWRvsoCFRRlfgodaZUIgA

The grass I have access to is about 1.5" tall, but it is very smooth, most akin to a soccer field. I've flown the stock setup off of that, and also those Dubro 2.75" Low Bounce Treaded tires.

In time I'm sure people will experiment with other wheels and landing gear setups, and I'm eager to see what everyone comes up with for their own preference. I read on certain threads of pilots gutting airplanes to fit larger batteries or rebuilding the motor area or prop spinners just to get a flyable model, so I know a cut-less wheel swap isn't the end of our worlds.

Comment

On the silver I can attest that as cool as silver looks on many a warbird, from a ton of experience re-painting many of my warbirds silver or "chrome", that color does indeed pick up shadows and any imperfections caused either from the mold or hangar rash or both. Painting any foam warbird of any size silver/chrome or metallic finish is always going to highlight the foam cells more than any foam warbird that is in a darker, FLAT color like OD.

From what I have seen of the production version of the Pacific Silver model, the cells are barely more noticeable than the OD but not by a lot.
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Here are some photos of the Dubro 2.75" Low Bounce Treaded wheel on the mains, with the stock main wheel moved to the nose wheel. This takes about 30 seconds to swap all three wheels.

Also shown is larger 3.0" size Dubro. This requires forward raking the strut with a ~4mm shim to fit inside the stock wheel well. For ease of use, I think between the two Dubros the 2.75" wheel is the better choice because the visual difference is very slight and the 2.75" requires nearly zero effort to install.

Note the metal bushing in the stock wheels (brass for main and aluminum for nose).

There are other wheels out there, such as Robart's 2.75" diamond treaded wheel with a 4mm axle bore. That's a heavy wheel though at 1.7oz each, but the wider hub plate and spokes are visually appealing.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dubro 2.75" Low Bounce Treaded wheels ordered...
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Thank you Alpha.....the wheels option are outstanding.....now seeing those photo's.....I need an olive drab painted P-38!!!

TwistedGrin

Comment

I like the Dave Brown tires because they are very light and really absorb the shock well. My one con against them is that it matters how you store the plane. Any plane I use Dave Brown tires on must hang rather than sit on the ground. The tires are so soft that they will develop quite a flat spot if left sitting.
                        [hr]
                        I'm loving the angle of the struts with the 4mm shim for 3" tires. Looks good.

Comment

The picture of the 3" tires isn't shimmed, that's the stock angle. ;)

Also, I agree about Dave Browns, they will flat spot if left over time, that's why I used the Dubros. If someone wants to try the Dave Browns instead, be mindful that their 2.75" treaded tire is drilled for a 3.1mm axle, not a 4mm like the P-38's stock axle:

http://www.motionrc.com/dave-brown-treaded-lite-flite-2-75-wheel-set/

Comment

Well....Though I shouldn't...Count me in for the Allied Green. Order placed. Will definitely be doing the wheel and strut modification, though I have a different set of wheels in mind ;)
                            [hr]
                            Now to get a call from the MRC Manager thanking me for my order...is above and beyond. Now that's great customer service....I was SHOCKED :)
                            Brandon Moon

Comment

Thanks MRC. I haven't stopped arguing with myself since I saw this on the site. The originals were made here in my neighborhood, Glendale CA at the old Grand Central field. I'm really excited about you choice of A/C, size, and available paint scheme. I'm leaning toward the Pacific Theater, but the European Theater would look great with some VE stripes. I haven't had a Silver plane before. My question is how difficult is it to see against the clouds?

Comment

The efforts toward scale gear have definitely been excellent for this model. Rake, tire size, great to see this correct, or at least easily improved on the stock version. I keep going back and forth about which one to get. I love McGuire's airplane, but also considering a repaint to either Robin Olds's Scat III or Glacier Girl...

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ
                                  I like the Dave Brown tires because they are very light and really absorb the shock well. My one con against them is that it matters how you store the plane. Any plane I use Dave Brown tires on must hang rather than sit on the ground. The tires are so soft that they will develop quite a flat spot if left sitting.

[hr]
                                  I'm loving the angle of the struts with the 4mm shim for 3" tires. Looks good.
                                  I hear you Ryan, reminds me of the old days when we drove on nylon tires, especially in the winter, took a mile to warm them up and get them round again.
                                  I've found that with my planes as well, I go down and move them every once in a while just to ease that very problem.
                                  What we need is a good set of radial tires!!

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                                    Here are some photos of the Dubro 2.75" Low Bounce Treaded wheel on the mains, with the stock main wheel moved to the nose wheel. This takes about 30 seconds to swap all three wheels.

Also shown is larger 3.0" size Dubro. This requires forward raking the strut with a ~4mm shim to fit inside the stock wheel well. For ease of use, I think between the two Dubros the 2.75" wheel is the better choice because the visual difference is very slight and the 2.75" requires nearly zero effort to install.

Note the metal bushing in the stock wheels (brass for main and aluminum for nose).

There are other wheels out there, such as Robart's 2.75" diamond treaded wheel with a 4mm axle bore. That's a heavy wheel though at 1.7oz each, but the wider hub plate and spokes are visually appealing.
                                    she sits great,2.75 mod looks sweet, rake looks perfect up front too. Green looks a bit lighter than the previous picks posted, nice. Thanks for posting the silver,verry smooth.Still staying silver here but green.........Hmmmmm.....making me think 2x
                                    [hr]
                                    Originally posted by roys001
                                    Thanks MRC. I haven't stopped arguing with myself since I saw this on the site. The originals were made here in my neighborhood, Glendale CA at the old Grand Central field. I'm really excited about you choice of A/C, size, and available paint scheme. I'm leaning toward the Pacific Theater, but the European Theater would look great with some VE stripes. I haven't had a Silver plane before. My question is how difficult is it to see against the clouds?
                                    silver is fine unless it's a really grey overcast day, sunny days work better here.
                                    rc flyin addict

Comment

Hi Roys001, welcome to the Forum! To answer your question, the silver is easy for me to see against any sky. In darker skies the aircraft takes on a darker blue color and its silhouette is very prominent, and in full sun the silver glints at certain angles. It's a neat effect when banking towards the sun into a slow roll. The sunspot will move from wingtip to wingtip. The green is probably easier to orient in full sun, because the green top and gray bottom are more clearly differentiated. If I had to recommend only one for someone concerned about visibility, it would be the Allied Green.

Comment

With the Mustangs, BBD is pretty easy to see due to the checkerboards, Old Crow really stands out with her invasion stripes, Shangrila, can disappear if all you can see is the grey belly, thankfully, her bright red nose makes her stand out like Rudolph!
                                        I polished and Armor All'd the nose for that exact purpose!

In one of her more visible moments.

Grossman56
                                        Attached Files
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by roys001
                                          I haven't had a Silver plane before. My question is how difficult is it to see against the clouds?
                                          Well it's definitely not as easy to see against the clouds as say a dark or brightly-colored model that's for sure.  But sometimes I will bite the bullet and deal with tougher to see for higher scale appeal.

It's only bit me in the rear once.  Okay maybe four times or so.  ;)
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X