X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wolfgang Wagner View Post

That's how I understand the manual too, LE to the nacelle, not the fuselage.

match the 65mm back from the LE of the wing at the inside of the nacelles (which is really hard to pinpoint)
    It seems like what these planes need is a DC powered "Mercury Tilt Switch" like they have in pinball machines. You could install one at the correct tested scale CG and have a red and green light installed. When you play with the battery placement, the red light goes to green and you are coupled to the plane's native CG. Sounds far fetched perhaps, but Alexander Graham Bell would have said that "feeling" for balance is frustrating, but a "green light" gives you recognition....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfgang Wagner View Post

That's how I understand the manual too, LE to the nacelle, not the fuselage.

match the 65mm back from the LE of the wing at the inside of the nacelles (which is really hard to pinpoint)
      That is the reason why I suggested using the line on the top of the wing as a reference point, its easier to pinpoint. Either way we're talking about the same CG, its just a matter of which way is the easiest way to mark it.
      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• The last few times out, I’ve had trouble with the nose gear retract failing to consistently retract or deploy the gear. I’d opened up the reunion [edit: trunion. Stupid auto correct!) box several times and thought that I’d solved the problem. I finally said “F it!” and did what I shudda done a long time ago, bought a new nose Type A retract. That done, I finally had a fault-free flight, just before the storms blew in (thunder can be heard in the background... I know, I shouldn’t have been the talkest thing in an open field with thunder and lightning approaching). So, I’m calling this flight Thunder and Lightning. :-)

---
        Warbirder

Comment

• Hi guys, maidened my P38 yesterday. 3 flights so far and all went nice. Flew very well, except the fact, that it rolled to the left. Had to trim about 1mm right ail. Checked the whole a/c but couldnˋt find anything. Wings looking good, also the tail. Checked the rpm of both props, but only 20-30 rpm difference. Could this cause such a roll tendency? Am a bit clueless. Any tips for me? Thx

Comment

• Hello all,i,m new in this forum and like to share some photo,s of my new P38 Lightnig from Motionrc,the Flightline P38 Lightning,i like the silver color sceme and i modified it to the E.T.O.(European Theater of Operations) added invasion striping,wheatering,modified the cocpit and radio equipment,changed the red to yellow colors and the gear color from white the silver/grey.

Comment

• Very nice! Welcome to Hobby Squawk! We are glad you are here! Jerry

Comment

• Werner van der Zel (Brewster) Welcome home to Hobby Squawk, Werner! Nice P-38! What a striking livery, the Lightning always looks slick in ETO/stripes. Whereabouts do you fly?
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                  Werner van der Zel (Brewster) Welcome home to Hobby Squawk, Werner! Nice P-38! What a striking livery, the Lightning always looks slick in ETO/stripes. Whereabouts do you fly?
                  Flying in Holland M.V.N.Nijverdal

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                    Very nice! Welcome to Hobby Squawk! We are glad you are here! Jerry
                    Thank you Jerry!

Comment

• Originally posted by Werner van der Zel (Brewster) View Post
                      Hello all,i,m new in this forum and like to share some photo,s of my new P38 Lightnig from Motionrc,the Flightline P38 Lightning,i like the silver color sceme and i modified it to the E.T.O.(European Theater of Operations) added invasion striping,wheatering,modified the cocpit and radio equipment,changed the red to yellow colors and the gear color from white the silver/grey.
                      WVDZ, Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Your P-38 is excellent, well done, Sir. Great details. Best, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Welcome Werner! I always enjoy seeing other people's talents a work on customizing their planes. Nice work.

Comment

• Has anyone installed an ESS sound in their P-38 and have videos or can tell me where they mounted the 2 speakers? Thinking about doing it. Thanks.

Comment

• Here's a sad sight. My P-38 suffered a catastrophic battery failure during the climb out and stalled before I could get her back to smooth ground (a few weeks ago). First stage of the healing process - let it sit for a few weeks before digging into the repair. I think that she'll go back together... eventually.

---
                            Warbirder

Comment

• Elbee
                              Elbee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              O, I, too, feel your pain, though you do exactly what I do...let it all sink in and look at it all later, Some of my best times in this hobby have been spent rebuilding a friend's broken and dinged up aircraft and yes, even some of my own. LOL! Best, LB

• Oh, Ox, I feel your pain buddy!

Put it in a big trash bag, Squeeze in a couple tubes of Foam-tac, and give it a good shake. It'll come out fine .

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                              Oh, Ox, I feel your pain buddy!

Put it in a big trash bag, Squeeze in a couple tubes of Foam-tac, and give it a good shake. It'll come out fine .
                              Thanks for the condolences, my friend! The foam will glue back together just fine. I broke some CF spars and strengthening tubes, and plastic pieces, that'll be harder to repair. Can probably handle the broken the CF spars/tube with bamboo skewers, although I may have to permanently glue the wings on (which isn't a big deal for me since I store and transport my P-38 with the outer wings on. I probably haven't removed the outer wings in over two years and have never taken the inner wings off since assembling it).

This is what it looked like, right after the battery screwed the pooch.

---
                              Warbirder

Comment

• That actually doesn't look as bad as the first pic. A few new bits and pieces, she'll be as good as new. These P-38s are such nice birds.

Comment

That actually doesn't look as bad as the first pic. A few new bits and pieces, she'll be as good as new. These P-38s are such nice birds.
                                  Yeah, I had dumped it on one of my work benches, but then needed that space to work on other planes which needed some minor repairs. To repair the P-38 properly, I decided to break it all the way down. Then, I unceremoniously dumped it in a box, out of spite for have the gall to crash on me. LOL

I am confident that I'll get her put back together and back in the air... after my 10 stages of grief have been completed.
                                  ---
                                  Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Werner van der Zel (Brewster) View Post
                                    Hello all,i,m new in this forum and like to share some photo,s of my new P38 Lightnig from Motionrc,the Flightline P38 Lightning,i like the silver color sceme and i modified it to the E.T.O.(European Theater of Operations) added invasion striping,wheatering,modified the cocpit and radio equipment,changed the red to yellow colors and the gear color from white the silver/grey.
                                    Did you use striping tape or paint for you stripes? I too, have the same essential plane and working on the invasion stripes. One thing I found is the tape lines were not exact for each plane. Looking at pictures at the time of the invasion, it seems they were done rather hurriedly.

Comment

That actually doesn't look as bad as the first pic. A few new bits and pieces, she'll be as good as new. These P-38s are such nice birds.
                                      No doubt, I have seen worse from when my battery fell out of my Carbon Cub S during a flight or the tape came undone from the ailerons. But with hot water for straightening, glue and pins, tape....still flying today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                        Werner van der Zel (Brewster) Welcome home to Hobby Squawk, Werner! Nice P-38! What a striking livery, the Lightning always looks slick in ETO/stripes. Whereabouts do you fly?
                                        I have a question regarding the assembly of the P-38. I got this for Christmas this year and put it together. Putting the wingtips off is real tight. The tabs seem to be stressed at first making the wing real tight to take off. Is this intentional? I thought I would snap off the nut tab but I managed to force it on. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                        X