X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cub

Well I was looking around my shop and decided to work on my GP Cub that I've had for about 10 years. I put an outrunner motor from my sport motor upgrade that I got for my Tcat that wasn't being used and a ESC from my broken Bcat. Took it outside today and ran it up and down the road in front of my house I gave about half throttle and it took to the sky, just did some test hops. I was impressed with the power on this motor. I still have to put the cowl on it after I get it painted.
    .Click image for larger version

Name:	cub.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	218792Click image for larger version

Name:	cub1.jpeg
Views:	427
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	218793

did they do a OD version? mine still has the original yellow fabric on it. I just put a turnagy 3548-900 turning a 11x7.5 on it. the old power system was not conducive to slowing it down for scale fly by's (could not pull the nose up and hold it w/o power cause it was nose heavy).

Joe
    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

This was a Great Planes kit not an ARF. I plan on doing a total recovering on it.

Comment

mine is hurting, bought it in the 90's and flew it in rain and snow for years and apparently the center layer in the light ply is gone a good inch to 2 inches back from the firewall. I filled it w epoxy as best I can, only time will tell if it holds up. I looked at a new one and it has plastic covering not fabric like this one

my son is building a sig cub, and said the only fabric he has found is from balsa usa. backup is koveral.

that looks like a pretty big motor for a 60in ws. you running 4s?

Joe
        Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

paladin Horizon is now carrying Oratex fabric also. I haven't tried the new fabric from Balsa USA yet, but I hear it's pretty good. I've still got a few rolls of Solartex slated for a few kits that are being "aged" .

Mad Baron is that the Great Planes Electri-Cub kit?

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post
            mine is hurting, bought it in the 90's and flew it in rain and snow for years and apparently the center layer in the light ply is gone a good inch to 2 inches back from the firewall. I filled it w epoxy as best I can, only time will tell if it holds up. I looked at a new one and it has plastic covering not fabric like this one

my son is building a sig cub, and said the only fabric he has found is from balsa usa. backup is koveral.

that looks like a pretty big motor for a 60in ws. you running 4s?

Joe
            I probably get the fabric covering from Balsa USA since the monokote on it now is looking pretty rough. Going to put a few flights on it before I recover it, should make for a nice winter project. I am running a 4000 4s battery and the motor is a 880kv.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
              paladin Horizon is now carrying Oratex fabric also. I haven't tried the new fabric from Balsa USA yet, but I hear it's pretty good. I've still got a few rolls of Solartex slated for a few kits that are being "aged" .

Mad Baron is that the Great Planes Electri-Cub kit?
              It is a Great Planes kit that I converted to electric power.

Comment

monokote is dead to me! I covered 8 planes with it in the 90's -00's and all are down for maintenance (uv made the monokote brittle) within 5 years. with everything being made in china the resellers here just buy what they (China) offers, rather than specifies what they want so plastic covering is all hit or miss, I feel balsa USA has the best chance of not being cost reduced?.? for what its worth.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                X