• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two distroyed P-51's

- deleted -
    Tootall505 (Chris).

Re: Two distroyed P-51's

Don't know about the used plane you bought at all. The one you bought and crashed..from what your saying..first of all your an experienced rc helo pilot, that's awesome those are hard to fly. You broke three props..do you know you are supposed to have your elevator in the up position when ground handling? You broke two oleo suspension landing gear....you said you was using flaps....ok..could it be, just possibly that you were coming in nice and slow..and pancaked the crap out of your plane? My advice is never use flaps with any cross wind, avoid flaps if your not really experienced with low wing/warbirds. You have to land low wing/warbirds hot, you cant float them in like a high wing I hardly ever use flaps on any of my planes, it sounds good having them, they look cool on the bench especialy the 1400mm size planes with the cool slow down servos, but they cause more harm than good most of the time on landing, they are cool to use to slow down your plane for slow passes. Ok, after the crash an experienced Mustang pilot looks at your plane..I don't know what an experienced Mustang pilot is..I have a hangar 9 nitro Mustang, I fly the crap out of it, but its totally different than my FMS Mustang..so anyway, spectrum DX8 is good, I use spectrum on everything, never a problem. Was you maybe flying with to hot of a battery for you ESC? Again, could it maybe have been, you put the flaps down on approach..another not great idea especially with most model mustangs, even with slow down servos they balloon terribly..anyway is it possible.. you put the flaps down, you was on a really slow glide..the flaps go down..stall..which would be pretty much the plane going haywire. I just wonder all of this because I have the exact plane and I have seen anything at all like this. Also I have used FMS ESC's a lot, and I actually like them, and never had a problem with them, now if you was talking about a crap J-Power or something like that with the no name shrink wrapped ESC..ok I could see that one dying, I had one of those actually catch on fire on a maiden flight..

Comment

Well ben I appreciate your feed back. I'll be the first to admit that maybe "I bit off more than I could chew" with the 1400 mustang, But I have 2 T-28's which ARE low wing war birds and fly them very well.
      I understand that mustangs are a very different animal, and I may not be experienced enough yet but that's not the point here. The point is that the mustang has 9 servos. The stock 65amp ESC has a built in 5 amp SBEC. I can almost guarantee you that 9 servos draw more than 5 amps or close. If the amperage
      gets to the limit (5 amps) it will shut of the connection between the receiver and the transmitter, which is what happened because the light was blinking on the receiver when I got to the crash site and I sure as hell didn't turn off the transmitter during flight. The whole purpose of a SBEC is to give you control of the plane in case of a ESC failure. But if the SBEC fails it will brake the receiver/transmitter connection and you lose control.

I'm not saying that I know everything about everything, but I'm told that if the SBEC would have been 10 amps or more there would have been no problem, and no where I the instruction's for the plane does
      it suggest putting and higher amperage SBEC for the electronic system. The point being that if a MFG makes a plane with all electronics installed it should perform flawlessly with out having to install secondary systems just to keep it safe. And by the way I was using the recommended 3000mAh 30C battery. And granted I didn't need to use the flaps and had plenty of speed on approach but when your in a dead stick situation and the plane snaps rolls left and nose's in the ground what are you supposed to do?????
      Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I have never had a problem with my spectrum radio and receivers but my friend has had some weird stuff go on with his. He had an electric world models Texan lose all signal and die because of his radio/receiver, and he has another plane that we have to rebind it constantly and its again spectrum DX 7 and..not sure of which receivers he was using. I have read though that if you use some of the spectrum "park flyer" size receivers they are unreliable and not supposed to be used with all the spectrum radios, I cant remember where I saw that at, but I am pretty sure it was on HH website in one of the spectrum radio manuals or receiver manuals..I am thinking it was the DX7 or 8 manual. I was researching voltage requirements for my lipo radio pack..anyway just some food for thought. I don't use the "park flyer" receivers in anything and I don't use an external SBEC with my 1400mm planes, now the 1700mm planes have and external that you can plug in OPTO to your receiver. T28 Trojans are excellent flying planes regardless of the brand and I would almost say that they are an exception to general low wing/warbird flight characteristics. You can float and soft land a T28 for the most part, but they also are not tail draggers. Since your comfortable with your Trojans, take some time and start practicing coming in hot with them and getting on your two mains first then letting it settle on the nose, tail draggers are still a little different animal.

Comment

Hi Ben. I've heard about the "park flyer" receiver's also and have been told to stay away from them for just that reason. I love the way the T28's fly and was the main reason I went to flying airplanes from Helicopters. You can still do the basic aerobatics and relax while doing them because they fly as well. I guess that way they used them as trainers in the war and after. I think I'm going to give FMS another try and get the 1400mm Trojan. From all the videos and reviews I've seen on them I shouldn't be disappointed. But I can assure you that the stock ESC will come out and a Castle ESC and 10 amp or larger SBEC will go in to insure proper system operation. After the 2 Mustangs I just cant trust the stock units anymore. I will take your advise on landing the T28 on the mains first and then the nose. I guess that's why most civilian and all commercial aircraft are tricycle gear setup for the easy of landing unlike tail draggers. Thanks.
          Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I feel your pain! I bought a Dallas Darling and I am ashamed to say from another company due to the fact of a great sell (mistake won't happen again!!! NO customer service at that place!!!!) Out of box the plane was great! Everything checked out ok, first flight take off was great. Upon landing I found out that they had failed to properly secure the gear! So when it touched down, both wheels came off causing the plane to tumble. Nothing serious was damaged but the wire going to one of the wheels was severed. Had to mend that, secured the gear and everything was fine. I contacted FMS about the problem and its been well over a month and no contact with me!! They will not respond to any emails sent to them! So far sent them at least 5. I was just lucky I guess nothing was damaged further! They make a great product but you had better check every little thing about the plane. Quality control is not their strong suit!

Comment

Sounds like you received a bad ESC, which has been talked about several times on RCGroups.com if you follow the thread there. It is very unfortunate, and I'd be pretty mad as well. You need to talk to Mark or Tom here at Motion and they may be able to help you.

I have a v7 p51 as well, ferocious frankie. I was weary of the ESC as well, but I have been flying it for over a month with no issues. I use Spektrum rx's as well (older dxm "parkflyer" ones), and they have worked great in all 4 of my FMS birds. I also use a larger 4s 4000mah lipo, with no issues.

I dissagree with "ben" on a number of things. First of all, you can use flaps on this bird when landing at basically all times (cross-wind would be the exception). It helps slow the bird down to basically a crawl which is nice. You dont have to come in "hot" with all warbirds, and especially not with this FMS P51. You do need to land with power on though. This P51 is very docile and has very good manners in the air. Now, if you werent ready for this kind/size of aircraft thats one thing, but either way, sounds like the ESC failed.

To get help from Motion, they will probably ask you a few things like: 1) did you properly initialize the esc (per instructions in the manual). and 2) did you perform a range test before flight.

I do feel bad for you. But hopefully you can get it repaired and hopefully Motion/FMS can help you out. I just had an extensive repair, but it was due to "dumb thumbs". P51 Repair. That's the good thing about EPO foam, 5min epoxy makes it all better...

Good luck!
              Hangar: 90mm F16, 90mm F-15, 80mm Mirage, 90mm F-18, 1400mm P-40, 64mm F-22

RIP: 80mm F-14

Comment

I feel your pain also man. Hey could that other company by any chance be (BH)? If so I really feel your pain. I hope your plane fly's great after the repair. I also emailed FMS with my displeasure and have not gotten a response so your not alone there.
                Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

hey tdford6, I kinda disagree a little with Ben, but he has so good points too. The 3 times I got to fly the p51 before the fatality I made some awesome 3 point landings ( just floating it in ) but under power. The problem with our field is the runway is about 300 feet long, but only 10 feet wide with grass on both side's. When the gear broke it ran off in the grass and nosed over, but I had spares. My Flyzone T28 didn't come with flaps, but I cut the wings and made them and added servos. They work awesome on that plane. It only weight's 2 lbs and it floats in great or you can come in hot. I guess im used to the T28 not weighting much and the p51 is so large when flying at full throttle it felt to me kinda slow and lethargic. I'm sure it was just the size it wasn't used to.
                  Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I have a Critical Mass (sea furry) and I sometimes have problems landing it, though its getting better. Its light and seems to never want to come down. Where as the p51 with flaps down and about 25% throttle just seems to glide in. I feel because it's heavier it's a little more predictable, and not so floaty.

I agree, the first few times flying the p51, that 1450mm size took a little getting use to.
                    Hangar: 90mm F16, 90mm F-15, 80mm Mirage, 90mm F-18, 1400mm P-40, 64mm F-22

RIP: 80mm F-14

Comment

Hey Kaptnsmooth. I can't believe it!!! I woke this morning and to my surprise their was an email from FMS in China. The email went pretty much as I expected but they seemed concerned. lol. I quote " we attach close attention and testing after getting you email. the pilot tested totally three airplanes on a windy day at full power and working all 9 servos at the same time" I would have liked to see that one...lol
                      " and the result turn out excellent as before" before what? " operating with upmost throttle the 5amp BEC is enough for this airplane" bla bla bla. Their pilot blames my receiver of course and not their plane.
                      They said a video was going to be sent to me of the test. Ya right.

I called Horizon and spoke to someone and told them what happened and I got twenty questions from them. Did you do this?, did you do that? They want me to send in my DX8 and the receiver for testing. I told them I would send the receiver but I flew 3 other planes with my DX8 that day after the crash and they were all fine. Of course they blame the airplane

I called Motion and spoke to Alpha. He was very sorry the crash happened and got 20 questions from him too...lol. Said he could would get me free 2 or 3 day shipping but not sure if he could do a discount of my next plane but he would try.

All in all it was a pass the buck day on the phone, What can you do?????
                      Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Well I must say this now and eat some of my words about FMS. I finally got an email from Yolanda who wanted pictures of my Dallas Darling. See told me she would contact Tom here at Motion RC, even tho I didn't purchase plane from this site. (Again my biggest mistake) Tom has sent out all of the damaged items that occurred when I landed my plane first time. The gear, was not secured to wing. I have to give them credit for standing up and taking the blame for my retracts not being properly secured. Hopefully my items will arrive today and I will be back in the air this weekend. READ THIS EVERYONE...... FMS THINKS VERY HIGHLY OF MOTION RC AND ITS OWNERS. I WAS TOLD THIS PERSONALLY BY CUSTOMER SERVICE AT FMS. THIS COMPANY IS WELL ABOVE ALL OF THEIR COMPETITION. DON'T DO AS I DID AND MAKE THE MISTAKE OF LOOKING FOR A DEAL. PAY $10 OR $20 MORE. MOTION IS THE BEST IN BUSINESS HAS ALWAYS HELPED ME WITH DEFECTED OR MISSING PARTS. THESE OTHER COMPANIES PUTS IT IN YOUR HANDS. EVERY TIME I HAVE HAD A PROBLEM, MOTION HAS HANDLED IT. NOW TODAY THEY HANDLED A PROBLEM THAT ANOTHER COMPANY SHOULD HAVE. I AM A LITTLE EMBARRASSED THAT TOM HAD TO HANDLE MY MISTAKE. THANKS TOM FOR ALL YOU DID FOR ME! I WILL NEVER BUY FROM ANOTHER DEALER AGAIN!
                        Ricky Brackett

Comment

just my "rule of thumb" . i use a seperate BEC on any plane larger than 1000mm that uses extra servos for flaps or retracts ! a seperate BEC is usually $10 or less

Comment

I am just now reading this thread. I have the "Gunfighter" and have not had any problems. I stalled it once coming in too slow with the flaps down and cracked one of the gears. I always replace the wheels with Dubro low bounce ones as these work well on not so perfect landing. I have never had any issues with FMS BECs and I have about six or seven FMS planes. I am flying the F4U and cannot say enough about this plane. It flies really well and tracks like it is on rails. Love to fly this one!!!

Comment

I will used a separate SBEC from now on, that's for sure.
                              Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Working...
                              X