X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS 1700mm P47

I know its not offered at motion yet, but I do believe I saw where its coming, anyway, I got one of the new ones. So this is a quick flight report from my first flight of the 1700mm P47. It flies great! I have the 1700mm Mustang from motion and I got the P47 from the other authorized FMS dealer and to be honest, straight out of the box the P47 Kicks the Mustangs A**. It really is a great flying plane and my maiden flight was in 10-15 mph winds which is kind of dumb to put a new one up since you cant really trim for crap in that but, it handled it great, on a south landing approach with 10-15 mph cross wind I had to correct for some drift but almost no crab, very little rudder until just right before the wheels hit and then it was mostly just out of a expectation to use the rudder, and it was a perfect landing, even in that wind the glide path of that plane is awesome. I did not keep it in the air for very long but it was just under 5 minutes and I had 58% left on battery. For flying in that much wind that is pretty good for that size of a bird. Ok, so I don't hurt any Mustang fans feelings, the 1700mm Mustang flies really good to after you adjust the pitch of the prop. Its just not in the same ball park as the P47 straight out of the box. Oh I was using a 4000mah battery. Another thing, the P47 might be just a wee bit tail heavy straight out of the box. I hate to admit this but I did not check the CG in the shop, I waited until I was out at the field and with the wind blowing..idk it just felt slightly tail heavy so I put half an ounce of sticky weight in the cowl, I will CG it again in my shop when I get a chance to see for sure where I am at. I just thought no big deal if its nose heavy. You can fly nose heavy, you die tail heavy.

Re: FMS 1700mm P47

So, I flew the P47 today for the second time. Great day, light wind and clear sky. On a high speed pass over the runway the motor came out of the plane. Total destruction. Never seen that one before

Comment

wow sorry to hear that

Comment

Crap Ben that sucks $400 down the drain. <smiley image="smiley_scared.gif"/> I have read reports and seen some youtube videos of the 1700 FMS Mustangs & Corsairs sometimes unleashing their motors in flight. It was reported that the motor mounts were loose or poorly glued, and it was suggested to always hit the mount with some hot glue just to be safe. The V1 Corsairs had an issue with the prop hub sometimes flying apart, and the hub was subsequently modified & beefed up. This is the first time I've heard of a P-47 throwing an engine. Really sorry to hear about the crash.

Comment

I am sorry to hear about that loss. Thanks for the warning for those that might buy it. MotionRC has 4 color schemes of the 1700mm P 47. Which one did you have? Are you going to get another any time soon?

Comment

Yeah I got another one and its the silver hun hunter one. Just to update, no screws came loose nothing at all came loose, it literaly ripped the motor board center out. All screws remained intact. It was a fluke I guess because on rc forums I posted pics of it and I have searched an no one has ever seen it happen before. If I had to guess and I am guessing, the motorboard had a hairline crack around the plastic seam in the middle raised portion and it just let go without warning. The crack probably happened when the molded the plastic motor board piece.

Comment

Wow Ben, Sorry to hear about that. Everyone told me the first thing to check are the motor mount screws out of the box. A few friends of mine said their new planes had striped mounts or loose screws from the factory. I bet that freaked you out when the motor let go, and I'm glad you got a new one.
              I had one blade of a 3 bladed prop break off during flight on my Parkzone T-28. Shook like hell but it was right over the field so I got it down ok.
              Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Yup, there is a major design flaw with the plastic motor mount on the P-47, I was flying my 7th flight, the plane just took off and I was heading downwind after a left hand turn. The plane started making a loud vibration noise and the next thing I knew I was flying a large warbird without a motor, I stuck with the plane, mind you now I am still flying but without a motor. I managed to fly the plane gear up and pancaked the plane down to the ground. Went out to retrieve the plane and found the plastic motor mount completely cracked where the motor should have been. Total cost of repairs will be about $115.00, new motor, mount, cowl, prop, prop hub,gear door. This really makes me mad this is not a cheap airplane or is it? I will fix it once, if I have any further issues with it I will box it all back up and send it back to FMS and probably never purchase a large warbird from them again. I noticed all of the 1700 size airplanes all use the same motor mount and I wonder how many RCers have had this problem? Good luck to anyone who buys these large airframed planes.

Comment

buy that plastic motor mount and head down to the local machine shop and have one made out of aluminum. I could imagine that it might be expensive. Other than that, I would box it up and send it back to them right now. That is a major design flaw and yes that plane is not cheap to buy. I'm not one to stick around when I get sold something that I think is not up to par. Not the fault of the re-seller, but the manufacturer. I have a few fms planes, some are stellar and well thought out, in fact the yak they make is without a doubt, the best plane I have ever owned. I have a recent purchase, it is fms and it is the biggest failure I have ever seen. I am taking the electrics out of it and junking the plane because it is, in my opinion, not worth ruining a battery and electrics. Consistency across the board in a plane that costs 100-700 would be a great accomplishment

Comment

If you do a youtube search you find a lot of video of various 1700mm birds losing their engines. If they are all sharing the same mount, it would appear the plastic formulation FMS chose for the engine mount is brittle and prone to failure. There was a similar issue (now corrected) with the 1700mm v1 F4U prop hubs. Manufacturing the mount from a more resilient material...perhaps nylon or aluminum...seems in order.

Comment

First question that I would ask is was the propeller balance checked. I have the 1400mm Corsair and the propeller needed some work to get it to balance properly. The mass of these scale propellers being somewhat out of balance would surely shake the mount right off of the airplane in time.
                      AMA 521691

Comment

I love my 1700 mm planes because of how they look. As far as how they fly, they are not great sport flying planes at all. That doesnt mean they dont fly good, they just are not sport flyers. With that being said, I think that 1700mm is at the maximum size you can have a total foam airframe. I think that you can go larger but you will have to start incorporating alot of plastic, well actually they do put some plastic in their airframes,I found out when I was sawing holes for my sound system last year, anyway, my point is I dont think they should go any larger in foam, unless they start adding serious carbon in the wings and fuse, or plastic or something solid besides just the foam. As far as the plastic motorboard, yes I think their was flaws in the molding in some of them. The last one I got I painted it with alcohol thinned epoxy, just like I would do a nitro balsa firewall. So far no problems, but to be honest I dont fly it that much and very rarely do I go wot, because wot in the 1700mm planes is like saying you have a fast yugo. I want to make it clear that I am not knocking the planes because of that, because they do perform scale. Its just most people seem to confuse real scale with sport scale and the 1700mm size that I have (P-47,P-51) look and perform scale. Which is ok by me (:

Comment

Yes Tom, I balance all my props.

Comment

I have the smaller FMS P-47 (1400mm).

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the 1400 and 1700 with regards to how they fly?

Thanks... Chuck

Comment

Can someone please help me I am having trouble getting cg right on my plane its way tail heavy I am using a 4900mah pack and with 13oz at 90mm it still is tail heavy surely this plane does not require this kind of weight is the manual correct at 90mm Desperate Please HELP

Comment

I don't think the manual is correct. I was using a great planes cg machine on the one I just bought and it was calling for a bunch of weight on the nose. I did put a little, I cant recall how much but at the 90mm mark it was still showing tail heavy. I flew it, it was fine. Make sure, and this is important. Make sure you put that battery ALL THE WAY FORWARD TO THE END OF THE NOSE, UP AGAINST THE COWL. There is a tight spot or ridge as you push the battery in, but shove past it. To stabilize your battery once its down there you have to get inventive. I have a piece of foam I cut that I shove down on top of the battery, and it wedges between the battery and the fuse, and when I put the canopy on after its all hooked up, the piece of foam is held by the canopy. Works like a charm for me and its simple.

Comment

Thanks Ben i think your right there is no way that manual is right think im gonna go with it as is and see where im at thanks allot for the advise

Comment

RE: FMS 1700mm P47

I know this is an old thread but for what its worth, my p-47 fly ok. I use a 5000 mah batt. I still put a few oz. Inside of the red cowl. I haven't had any problems with motor board. But i have purchased the aluminum motor mount. But it does fly sluggish compared to my mustang and my corsair. It flies nice but it does float in a bit.

Comment

Any chance this airplane will be coming back? I intended to get one, even ordered some custom graphics sized to fit it, and now it is gone from the website.

Comment

I thought they are discontinued by fms, but not 100% sure

Comment

Working...
                                        X