Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
    Does anyone know the scale of this model? Is it 1/8 or 1/0? thanks
    Hello Pheonix...........since you have asked about scaling in this thread as well as the FL F4U thread by minutes apart even though this scale question has been answered early on in both threads I will indulge in giving you the fundamental math equation that ALL modelers should learn versus being lazy and asking the community to do the research.
    In the case of the HSD Skyraider......the model has a 63" span and the full size has a 50ft span.
    The equation is full size span in feet x 12 inches divided by the inch span of the model.
    50ft x 12inches = 750 inches divided by 63 = 9.5
    9.5 is more accurately representative of 1/10 scale.
    Hope that you use this info for future modeling projects
    Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks, Charlie. Another way to say the same thing is

​​​First, ensure the units of measurement (feet, millimeters, whatever) are the same for the real plane and the model plane. Then, divide the wingspan of the real plane by the wingspan of the model plane.

The result will be a "close enough" scale ratio for an RC model. I usually round up to the nearest decimal.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• OV10 "ALL modelers should learn versus being lazy and asking the community to do the research". This is an insult and uncalled for. The two posts that were minutes apart were in error. I received an error message that my previous post do not go through. Therefore I posted again. OV10, I do not need math lessons from you and anyone else. I taught graduate level research statistics after retiring form a 33-year naval career. Please, never feel like you must answer a question I posed if you have to be Condescending . It is taking me a long time to respond to you as I have limited use of my right hand from multiple surgeries for service related trauma. I am not sure what your definition of lazy is; however, it does not fit me. I will not got into details on my achievements, other than to say I retired from the Navy as an 06; and have a PhD from UCLA. From what I last recall, UCLA does not give this degree to "lazy" students. The Navy certainly does not promote lazy people to 06. I am sorry you have an inflated opinion your knowledge. By the way, I used math to figure out what I needed and ordered from Callie last night. You be well!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
          OV10 "ALL modelers should learn versus being lazy and asking the community to do the research". This is an insult and uncalled for. The two posts that were minutes apart were in error. I received an error message that my previous post do not go through. Therefore I posted again. OV10, I do not need math lessons from you and anyone else. I taught graduate level research statistics after retiring form a 33-year naval career. Please, never feel like you must answer a question I posed if you have to be Condescending . It is taking me a long time to respond to you as I have limited use of my right hand from multiple surgeries for service related trauma. I am not sure what your definition of lazy is; however, it does not fit me. I will not got into details on my achievements, other than to say I retired from the Navy as an 06; and have a PhD from UCLA. From what I last recall, UCLA does not give this degree to "lazy" students. The Navy certainly does not promote lazy people to 06. I am sorry you have an inflated opinion your knowledge. By the way, I used math to figure out what I needed and ordered from Callie last night. You be well!
          Well one Captain to another, I think you're over reacting just a bit. Charlie was just trying to help ya. This is a pretty good group here, I think if you take a bit and get to know some here, you will be impressed by the quality of people here, and Charlie is one of them. Now condescending or not I'll tell you this. I know more scholars than you can shake a stick at, and I wouldn't even consider giving them the time of day, some of them are other Captains. I would set down and have a beer with Charlie any time.

Regards
          Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

Well one Captain to another, I think you're over reacting just a bit. Charlie was just trying to help ya. This is a pretty good group here, I think if you take a bit and get to know some here, you will be impressed by the quality of people here, and Charlie is one of them. Now condescending or not I'll tell you this. I know more scholars than you can shake a stick at, and I wouldn't even consider giving them the time of day, some of them are other Captains. I would set down and have a beer with Charlie any time.

Regards
            Woody
            Thanx for the support Woody.
            I am really surprised that he posted that publicly then 2 minutes later felt a need to PM it me.
            I will now show all my response to the PM so as to reflect my honorable intentions.

Today, 09:37 AM
            Dear Pheonix..............the term lazy was not meant to be condescending and was directed generically to the multitude of folks that refuse to do the simple homework themselves.
            Of all the participants on this forum, you would be the first to think that my actions are condescending in all the years of my responses to solicitations for help that have been posted.
            The term lazy in it's simplest form as an adjective suggests "unwilling to work" which by your actions was my perception by you soliciting others to do the calculations.
            Your posts minutes apart were in two separate different threads because as a forum moderator I can see the details.
            If you do not require math lessons then your solicitation was apparently an indolent (wanting to avoid activity or exertion; lazy) action.
            Sorry that you have physical disabilities and felt a need to use that topic to punctuate your concern but I too am a Naval Nam Era Vet as well as being a 5X cancer survivor.
            Your reason for PMing me is most likely because your sensibilities felt injured because you think I insulted you and then you turn around and try to insult me with an insinuation of having "an inflated opinion (of) your knowledge".
            You have no clue to whom I am, so in conclusion, there was no intent to personally insult you and be well too.
            Best Regards,
            Warbird

Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Howdy all! I can understand both perspectives, but I want to publicly thank Charlie and Woody and Phoenix and Elbee and Rifleman every other one of you who have sacrificed and served our GREAT country!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I think almost everyone here has the best of intentions and we are all brothers in R/C! Have a blessed weekend all!! Jerry

Comment

• Didn't mean to disparage you. My sincere apologies.

Woody

Comment

• Comment

• OK PEOPLE, hows everyone doing? Ive been offered a NIB Starmax 4S version of this bird-just happened to come across it. I read in an earlier post that was written by "bearcat" (i think it was) that props were/are available from HSD from 2018. I went to have a look because one of my primary concerns is replacement props before i decide to grab this model while i can, so further to having done a "google safari" over the last few days can anyone answer the following:

1)Does ANYONE do a replacement prop for this bird and if so has anyone got a link?

2)If i grab this model im thinking of upgrading the LG as per tired irons p40b method, plus (because its a 4s starmax one) i will add aftermarket oleo struts.has anyone else done that exact mod and uf so can they share the info/links to oleos used, or at least the length-ideally a link to a product.

3)Im also thinking of converting it to 6S from 4S-again, has anyone else done this and if so would or could you share some info? My initial thought for a 6s power setup Is the FMS P47 or the FMS 2mtr Beaver powertrain, but someone may have already done this and as such might be able to save me a lot of hassle.

thanks in advance guys, look forward to hearingback from anyone. If I cannot source a spare prop from anyone regardless of manufacturer or cost, It will almost certainly put me off the whole idea of grabbing the plane because you need to be able to get consumable parts.

cheers 👍

Comment

• Amazing Builda!

Good find. I was trying to sell my HSD A-1 Kit, No one seemed interested. 1) Banana use to have a few of these props. Might check with them, when they came available I bought 4 of em. 2) landing gear struts are a good idea, I opted for E-flight rotating Corsair retracts with struts I bought from another vendor. I probably would have used the new Motion, (well new for me) rotating retracts they use on their Corsair. But being where you are, HK has a bunch of this stuff, struts I mean, all different sizes. 3) Hey if your looking at A-1's I think you might know your way around a model a bit. I'd power it anyway I felt good about. I'll see if I can post the motor and ESC I purchased for this.

I actually saw on guy with one of these that was using two, two blade props mounted at 90 degrees with a custom prop shaft, (longer). I was admiring him flying around, actually didn't even notice until he taxied in and stopped. He had fixed gear on his.

Bottom line this is a beautiful model, stunning actually. I like Corsairs too, (I have two of them) but to me the A-1 just is a better flying model. Just watch the torque steer when coming of the deck on take off. Throttle up smoothly till the model gets light and is tracking straight then lift it off gently. Once in the air it flys pretty damn cool. Good Luck!

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                        Amazing Builda!

Good find. I was trying to sell my HSD A-1 Kit, No one seemed interested. 1) Banana use to have a few of these props. Might check with them, when they came available I bought 4 of em. 2) landing gear struts are a good idea, I opted for E-flight rotating Corsair retracts with struts I bought from another vendor. I probably would have used the new Motion, (well new for me) rotating retracts they use on their Corsair. But being where you are, HK has a bunch of this stuff, struts I mean, all different sizes. 3) Hey if your looking at A-1's I think you might know your way around a model a bit. I'd power it anyway I felt good about. I'll see if I can post the motor and ESC I purchased for this.

I actually saw on guy with one of these that was using two, two blade props mounted at 90 degrees with a custom prop shaft, (longer). I was admiring him flying around, actually didn't even notice until he taxied in and stopped. He had fixed gear on his.

Bottom line this is a beautiful model, stunning actually. I like Corsairs too, (I have two of them) but to me the A-1 just is a better flying model. Just watch the torque steer when coming of the deck on take off. Throttle up smoothly till the model gets light and is tracking straight then lift it off gently. Once in the air it flys pretty damn cool. Good Luck!

Woody
                        cheers for the reply woody! I actually have very good friends at FMS and have been trying to talk them into making a big A1 skyraider For the last six months-I told them they could use the P 47 power train or the Beaver for that matter, Along with P 40 retracts, I've actually given them quite a lot of the design of the plane so they wouldn't have to think of much-One of the models I have mentioned to them they have started work on but it wasn't this one much to my disappointment. Oleo struts are definitely the only way to go, As far as props go banana have nothing and doing a Google expedition has revealed nothing.Somebody did mention a more expensive brand of propeller in this thread but I can't recall for the life of me what it was-I might have to read the whole thread again. Getting stuff sent from China at the moment is very hit and miss, So as far as hobby king is concerned we are looking at Australia.I've been waiting for a plane from FMS which is stuck in Singapore and has been since April. I ordered some stickers from Callie Which she sent in March and I have not seen them, OR The second set she sent six weeks later because the original batch never arrived,Neither of them have got here yet so getting stuff from America seems to be a bit of a problem too. The only thing I am really concerned about is the propeller, Everything else can be made to work-I am thinking maybe FMS Beaver motor and 80a speed controller it will be the go Because the Beaver runs a 15 x 9 prop, So putting a four blade on probably will not push it past its capabilities.Any photos you can give me or even just the motor spec would be hugely appreciated.

cheers

B

Comment

• I have the V2 version and I love the airplane. I need a new Propeller. Is there anyone or anywhere that may have one available?

Comment

• HSD 1600mm A-1 Skyraider
                            Hi TiredIron, I recently came across some info and input you gave along with a photo while searching online for info on the HSD A1 Skyraider on Hobby Squak and it just so happens that I recently acquired an almost complete kit of this rc model, although it is an earlier version with the 4S setup. Everything else is the same. The manual is missing, one of the bombs and a missile are missing, but "most importantly" missing is the wooden wing spar I see in other pics online. Now I realize it has been a few years ago, but I was wondering if you still by some long shot chance had this plane and if so, if could give me the dimensions of the wood wing spar. I am guessing it is probably around 35 inches long, but the most important aspect I need to know is the "dihedral angle" of the spar. I could then easily make my own spar. Thanks in advance. Dennis

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                            I picked up one of these at eWeek that was new but had been robbed of the ESC, right retract (retract only), prop and cowl...I have replaced everything except the right retract.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171012_231031244_iOS.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	100951

Comment

• Hi, I know I’m late to the party and just finished reading the thread from the beginning. I have a chance to buy a used one of theirs and already now the gear won’t work so am thinking about the p40 retract fix. However, has anyone figured out a replacement prop for the plane? Post 174, the last one as well as the same picture a few pages in shoes a three blade prop with what looks like a Corsair/p47/t28 prop hob or lock nut. Does anyone know which prop that is and an reasonable alternative? Maybe the FMS 1700 Corsair prop? I’d like to buy the plane, but may have to walk if I can’t find alternative props.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X