Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
    Hi Den,

James is away at a show and he does not work in our support department. While I'm not doubting James told you to contact him, I'm a little surprised he said this given his schedule. I apologize that he said this to you. We have an entire support department dedicated to helping customers. Please go to this page and start a ticket or give us a call:
    https://www.motionrc.com/pages/technical-support
    Hi Tom, James borrowed something from me a while back that didn't belong to him. As a friendly gesture during resolution he offered to help with my flying and filming of your products by being a point of contact that understands what I do. It appears that maybe he was just trying to stroke me as the t-shirts did not arrive either. Thanks to whom opened the service ticket, but I reassembled the wrecked aircraft this morning with some other assistance. The option to send it in for consideration of some sort has passed with reassembly. Lesson learned, all of my media now have watermarks and other security features.

I guess I'll store the scratch and dent Bearcat as a reminder not to do that again too.

As for the wrecked Bearcat, it is now an experiment. It has a 6s power system with 14x8 prop. The prop ground clearance is getting small but still a ways from scale. Accidental prop strike is probably increased. The AUW is identical, however the battery capacity is smaller. I'm hoping it is a rocket, but we'll see, increase of power doesn't always translate to speed. I'll try to get some video tomorrow of the re-maiden. Thanks to FMS for the ESC/motor combo. If it tests well, there is a higher kv version available too! Unlimited Reno racer livery to follow if it works out.
    Attached Files
    There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• This is a racing prop... I'm told they had to take off and land 3 point so as to avoid prop strikes.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Wow, 6s!
        I run the 650kv motor from the P-40 and a 14000mm FMS Corsair prop on mine and its crazy fast, it'll be interesting it see what results you get.
        I have to place my battery (4000mah 4S) back to the crossmember near the rear of the battery bay to get a decent CG, and placed a 1/4 oz on the tail where the tail hook would have been just to get a good CG.
        The great thing is she doesn't lose her slow flight capabilities with this mod.

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• I can't determine any difference in top speed. When another one is at the field I'll compare. I'm surprised it flies so straight after its ordeal. It has a quiet smoothness that is different from before. The Bearcat is at 2:20.

Comment

• Dennis, if you don't want/need that scratch and dent, we're happy to take it back. I think there was some confusion with that one too. Did it have both retracts and servos or was the missing wing also missing the retract and servos? We can get all of that worked out for you with the scratch and dent. just shoot me a PM.

Comment

• Why did the price of this airplane make such a dramatic jump? At Christmas past (2017) It was on sale for about $190 ish. List was just above $200. Why is it $239 now? popularity? revision change? Thanks,

SJ

Comment

• No, just part of the U.S./China trade deal negotiations I would think.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheriffjohn View Post
                  Why did the price of this airplane make such a dramatic jump? At Christmas past (2017) It was on sale for about $190 ish. List was just above $200. Why is it $239 now? popularity? revision change? Thanks,

SJ
                  Why does the price of everything go up? I'd be asking that question all the time

Comment

• After many ripped out gear on grass runways i solved the ripping out issue. I wrapped clear heavy duty 3M packing tape around the gear and over the gear covering the leading edge as well. No more ripped out gears. You can go to home depot and color match the blue and paint the packing tape if only for cosmetic reason. Still doesnt stop the flip over after landing, the tail takes a beating more packing tape here to stiffen it. Just wish they would offer a better retract!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikeinlutz View Post
                      After many ripped out gear on grass runways i solved the ripping out issue. I wrapped clear heavy duty 3M packing tape around the gear and over the gear covering the leading edge as well. No more ripped out gears. You can go to home depot and color match the blue and paint the packing tape if only for cosmetic reason. Still doesnt stop the flip over after landing, the tail takes a beating more packing tape here to stiffen it. Just wish they would offer a better retract!
                      The thing that really annoys me is inner gear doors not closing at random-then you can't belly it in if you want or need too without ripping off a door. Seems no matter how much I adjust them stupid wire things I always end up with a door open.

Comment

• At least you're able to fly your Bearcat. It's been two years since I was able to put my plane in the air. Even though I have the weekends off now I still can't find the time to fly anymore. My plane is flying from my ceiling I take it down occasionally to dust it off.

Comment

• I know this thread is kinda old but I have a question. I have the Bearcat and it's one of my favorites to fly. I also had the 1120mm FW190 that was a great flyer when the props didn't explode on me. It finally gave up the ghost and was beyond repair so I have stripped down the FW190 and harvested all the parts. Would the FW19i0s 3648-830KV be a good motor upgrade for the Bearcat. It seems pretty close to the recommended hop up engine on the site. I'm pretty sure the motor is ok but will the 4 blade stock prop be too much prop for it. Will it smoke the motor/esc combo.

Comment

• Originally posted by frogman1206 View Post
                            I know this thread is kinda old but I have a question. I have the Bearcat and it's one of my favorites to fly. I also had the 1120mm FW190 that was a great flyer when the props didn't explode on me. It finally gave up the ghost and was beyond repair so I have stripped down the FW190 and harvested all the parts. Would the FW19i0s 3648-830KV be a good motor upgrade for the Bearcat. It seems pretty close to the recommended hop up engine on the site. I'm pretty sure the motor is ok but will the 4 blade stock prop be too much prop for it. Will it smoke the motor/esc combo.
                            Sounds like a great idea. I also have both the FL FW-190 and the Bearcat. I recently put in the recommended 3648/880kv w/12x8 2 blade prop in the Bearcat. Haven't flown it yet. The original stock setup bench tested at 15.19Volts/33.12amps/488.4watts. The new setup tested at 15.18V/50.15A/702.1W. A whopping 43.7% power increase. It should zip along.

I looked at the prop shafts and they appear to be interchangeable. Not sure about shaft length though. From what I can tell on the Motion RC site the "E" dimensions are the same. The 880kv motor is rated at 58A max 10 second burst and 900W. The 830kv is 45A and 680W max. IMHO the motor/esc combo should be fine if you switch to the 12x8 2 blade prop. I think the stock 4 blade would exceed 45A max in a static bench test. Put a meter on it and test it carefully. Use a battery with a 3.8volt charge. If it stays under 50 amps it should be OK as the amps will drop when the plane is flying.

Also, if your transmitter has the capability, you could program a throttle curve and assign it to a switch. During takeoff you could limit the throttle to 75% for example. Once airborne, flip the switch and have 100% throttle capabilities. I've done this to several of my planes that are close to the edge.

FYI I did the "zip tie mod" to the FW-190. Bench test went from 15.14V/37.6A/503W to 15.12V/47.43A/666W. straight line speed a little better. Vertical climb is very much improved. Goes up like a rocket.

Bernie

The 830kv and 2 blade prop is 1.5oz lighter then the stock setup. It will affect your CG
                            Last edited by rckruser; Apr 5, 2020, 10:55 AM. Reason: added cg note

Comment

• rckruser thanks for the info. I wonder is I could remove 2 of the 4 blades in the Bearcat spinner. It would be the same 12" prop as the upgraded one but the have a little less pitch. I would just worry about the spinner spinning to fast and throw a prop. I was hoping to just take on hand parts and make them work.

I have a p51 that came with a 4 blade prop and when i broke a blade i just broke another off and went 2 blade. It flies just as good and much longer flight times.

Comment

• Originally posted by frogman1206 View Post
                                rckruser thanks for the info. I wonder is I could remove 2 of the 4 blades in the Bearcat spinner. It would be the same 12" prop as the upgraded one but the have a little less pitch. I would just worry about the spinner spinning to fast and throw a prop. I was hoping to just take on hand parts and make them work.

I have a p51 that came with a 4 blade prop and when i broke a blade i just broke another off and went 2 blade. It flies just as good and much longer flight times.
                                Frogman,

I to have had good success with the 4 to 2 blade "conversion". LOL

Your idea for changing the stock 4 blade to 2 blade is another good one. Check the balance and once you fire it up check for excessive vibration. The 2 holes left in the in the spinner may make some interesting sounds. Perhaps you could tape off the holes. Amps will not be an issue. Let me know how it works.

Bernie

Comment

• I know this is an old post, but I have had the Bearcat for about a year now. I also have the FlightLine FW-190. Is it just me, or is the Bearcat just much slower compared to other warbirds? I noticed my FW-190 is wicked fast compared to the Bearcat at just over half throttle. But the Bearcat even at full throttle appears to just be cruising. I did not go through all of the pages in this thread, but I was able to catch some pilots mentioning some motor mods. Is this warbird just not a speed demon? I want to make sure mine is not a defect.
                                  Happy flying!

Comment

• It is not a speed demon. If you want speed and crazy climb you'll need to do a mod.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cchrissyv1 View Post
                                      I know this is an old post, but I have had the Bearcat for about a year now. I also have the FlightLine FW-190. Is it just me, or is the Bearcat just much slower compared to other warbirds? I noticed my FW-190 is wicked fast compared to the Bearcat at just over half throttle. But the Bearcat even at full throttle appears to just be cruising. I did not go through all of the pages in this thread, but I was able to catch some pilots mentioning some motor mods. Is this warbird just not a speed demon? I want to make sure mine is not a defect.
                                      See my post #813. I finally got to fly the Bearcat with the upgrade package. Noticeably faster and much better vertical climb. Well worth the $$$. One of my fellow flyers was flying a EF P-51 1.2m on 4 cell and the Bearcat was a little faster. That surprised me. That said it's still not as quick as the FL FW-190 especially with the zip tie mod.

Bernie

Comment

• Cchrissyv1 Regardless of the stock power system or upgraded power system, ensure your throttle is calibrated properly, as well.

The 1.1m Fw-190 is more slippery than the 1.2m F8F, and the wing loading, wing shape, and airfoils are also different. The F8F is more stable during high speed bank and crank maneuvers, while the Fw-190 is more fast in a straight line.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Heck, just do what I did, redrilled the motor mount holes and installed a 650 kv and upgraded the ESC to 85A. Used the 1400mm FMS Corsair prop. Speed demon!

Grossman56
                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9493.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	253226
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X