First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official FlightLineRC 1120mm FW-190 V2 Thread

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...nt=23967828870
    AMA 1102566

I saw that, and am very interested. Apparently, it's a refresh of the FreeWing FW-190 that is discontinued. New paint, and added flaps. The FW one had nav lights, and flew on 3S. This one appears to lose the lights, and flies on 4S. I suspect it'd still fly on 3S, but be 4S capable for the speed junkies.

Some other folks on RCG are saying it's not at all to scale. I wonder if it's just the three pics we have so far making it look odd, or if it really is just stand off scale. Was the V1 not to scale as well? I have to assume it's the same molds...
    I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
    ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

FLTRI, the FW-190 V2 can fly on 3s, but I do like 4s better for overall power and weight. Pilot Mike and Captain Ryan will be making a video soon covering this updated aircraft to give everyone a closer look at what I think is a great entry for an FW-190 in this size. The molds are different. The new wing now includes flaps, and the new fuselage has a larger battery bay and new mount for the larger motor.

As for scale looks... it must be the pictures that is throwing people off, because she's pretty close to the references we used, including the real thing in Laatzen. I'd encourage those 'folks' to without judgement until Mike can show more comprehensive photos. I'm not going to indulge the scale police with a lengthy response for a model at this pricepoint. I can pick apart any foam model for scale fidelity, from any manufacturer. (I'm not saying you're part of those folks at all, FLTRI). Bottom line, I'd put this FW-190's performance, handling, looks, engineering, price, parts support, as an overall "Package" against any other FW-190 Package in this price category. Including several balsa FW-190s for more dough.

By the way, FLTRI, are you flying with us in October in St. George, UT? I hope so!
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hey Alpa
        You state that it has flaps but on the specs are were flaps are it says no. Is that just a typo. Even at 44 inches I kinda like this plane. Would go nice with the 44 inch corsair I have.
        Dewey l

Comment

I think it's a great looking plane. But I won't be getting one unless I lose my flyzone 190. Iv been very impressed by both the new models and the improved models that are coming out. Keep up the great work MRC.

Comment

Looks pretty good to me! The only thing I see that people might complain about is the gear stance. The gear 90 degree or 74 degrees? Hard to tell from the pictures if there is any inward cant. Otherwise the outline and paint job are excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
              FLTRI, the FW-190 V2 can fly on 3s, but I do like 4s better for overall power and weight. Pilot Mike and Captain Ryan will be making a video soon covering this updated aircraft to give everyone a closer look at what I think is a great entry for an FW-190 in this size. The molds are different. The new wing now includes flaps, and the new fuselage has a larger battery bay and new mount for the larger motor.

As for scale looks... it must be the pictures that is throwing people off, because she's pretty close to the references we used, including the real thing in Laatzen. I'd encourage those 'folks' to without judgement until Mike can show more comprehensive photos. I'm not going to indulge the scale police with a lengthy response for a model at this pricepoint. I can pick apart any foam model for scale fidelity, from any manufacturer. (I'm not saying you're part of those folks at all, FLTRI). Bottom line, I'd put this FW-190's performance, handling, looks, engineering, price, parts support, as an overall "Package" against any other FW-190 Package in this price category. Including several balsa FW-190s for more dough.

By the way, FLTRI, are you flying with us in October in St. George, UT? I hope so!
              Thanks for the info, Alpha. I'm not hugely familiar with what would be considered correct or incorrect with an FW-190, so I thought I'd ask. As all of the current Flightline fleet is pretty darn close in the scale department, I thought it odd that this one would be any different. Good to know it's a nice example of the real thing.

St. George sounds fun, and it's closer and an easier drive than SoCal for me. Do you have a link, or any more details? I would love to meet up with you guys, and put a face with a screen name!
              I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

Comment

Here's a 1/32 scale model of the FW 190 I just finished for a little reference. Tried to take the one directly above to match the MRC ad.
                AMA 95495
                Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
                Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

I'm a little surprised that there's not more chatter on this plane. Seems like a nice model, am I the only one that's interested in it? Can't wait until it ships, and user reviews start coming in...

Comment

I'm waiting on its secret brother.
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Looks like it is in stock.
                      Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
                      R. A. Heinlein

Comment

It seems like a very nice kit. I had the opportunity to climb up in the cockpit of a 190A-3 a few years back. That aircraft is now in Norway.
                        As far as technical details go, the series by Richard Smith and Eddie J Creek are the final word.

To motion RC: Are you guys gonna do these in larger scales? 1/9 or 1/10 doesn't do so good on the grass here. 1/8 is a lot better. And after flying a couple of FMS birds and the T-45, lights are nice. We fly at dusk and I really like the lights on many of your other offerings.

Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

UPS is delivering mine tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what I think of her....

Comment

Dang! I saw this email thread and thought that FLRC had announced an FW-190D or the TA-152. I love the 190A (I have two of them, including the Freewing), but hopefully, someone (hopefully FLRC) will release a Dora soon. I saw the box for a TA-152H in the background of the FLRC Bearcat build video, and my hopes have been up ever since.
                            ---
                            Warbirder

Comment

OK, I got the Focke-Wulf built in a few hours the day I got her and managed to get out and fly it about 4 times today. Here is my assessment from tip to tail.

1. Packaging and Instructions. Packaging was great, well protected. The instructions are fine although I think they started with the Sea Fury instructions and edited them because there are some typo's in it refering to the tail hook etc. Not a big deal. the only time I used them was to sort out control rod sizes for the flaps vs. ailerons and to get the info on CG and Control Throws.

2. Propeller: Its nice to have a plane where the prop is already assembled. That was a first from dozens of FMS/RocHobby/Freewing planes. Although I usually weigh out each prop blade on the scale and sand the backs ever so slightly to get them weighing the same, in this case it didn't matter because it was in balance. I removed it to setup my radio and esc etc to save my digits. The decal (Water Slide Style) to add the white swirl to the spinner was included and was a nice touch but I would think the Germans would have some other nomenclature printed on their propellers but no other decals were included so it looks a little plain compared to the rest of the model. I order a backup propeller and spinner like all my planes and a "Swirl Decal" was not included with the backup spinner which is a miss.

3. Power System: It rocks this bird! Great Performance. Well done!

4. Wing / Wiring: The wing is pretty straight forward and has flaps/ailerons. Split flaps please, we are spoiled now with the P-38 and Spitfire. It would have been nice to have a large enough recess in the middle wing to be able to stuff all the wires or included one of those wire wrangling boxes (ala P-38 style) that you could plug the mess of flaps/ailerons/gear into and it fit in a designed space in the wing and only have 3 wires come out of the lower compartment like on many other birds. I thought about using the RocHobby one but it wouldn't fit down there. It would also have been nice to have some lights on this baby for those dusk sorties. Also, did the Germans use zinc chromate? We are spoiled now and want our gear compartments to be painted that beautiful green! I'll overlook it since we remember the holes in the end of the gun barrels and I didn't have to drill them in!

5. Landing Gear: The only miss on this bird like every foamy on the planet. My right wheel was rotated out about 10 degrees which was noticeable when it was retracted because the gear door had a noticeable gap and especially when lowered. Usually I don't worry about it much on these planes but this was such a large amount I was afraid it would effect tracking. Please manufacturers, "We want TOE-IN on our landing gear out of the box"! Usually not a big deal to pull the retract, open the gear with servo tester or receiver, loosen grub screw, remove strut, file flat spot correctly, reinstall. In this case they have included a plastic plug in the side of the retract (Never seen that before) so that you cannot get to the grub screw with your allen driver. It made it a major PIA. I eventually drilled out the plastic plug so that I could get to the whole thing and fix it. Took longer to toe in my right wheel than build the entire plane twice. Other than that the gear work fine. The wheels however, after the third flight and some pretty hefty high speed touch and goes, needed a trip to Jiffy Lube because they squeaked to the point that I was afraid that if they have brass bushings like the P-38 (haven't looked) they may have been galling on the shafts.

6. Bomb/Fuel Tank: Please make it (Non-Glue) and removable or magnetic. I would always fly with it but sometimes its nice to remove such things and close the gear so we can stuff more planes in our vehicles! Also it wasn't clear what decals went on it but a trip to the internet with a google of "Keine Bombe!" and "FW-190" and I found it!

7. Fuse / Compartment: No complaints but its tight. I used some flying wire material from my FMS Bipe to put a radio antenna on, it would be nice if it was included. The battery hold-down is well done and access to the esc via a wood floor with four screws is a huge plus. If you had any CG issues you would be doomed, there really isn't room to move your battery 1mm forward or back. There is very little room for a receiver and forget having a place to mount a "eagle Tree" or other gyro, although you don't need it for this bird" Make sure if you put your red insignia around the fuse near the stab ala Heinz Bar's plane, you put the decal as far back as you can or you will get a slight gap on the bottom in the red. I was able to fill mine with some other red markings that were left over. Tail wheel design is nice. Easy to adjust tracking of the tail wheel without tools. The cockpit is pretty nice. It would be awesome if our pilot had a stick to control his plane and the blank space behind his seat looks a little plain. Add a stick and some texture or a decal to the deck behind the pilot and it would be perfect.

8. Decals / Insignia: Well done. I like the options for different pilots. I chose Heinz Bar's plane. The decal locations seemed straight forward except the bomb/Fueltank and on the gear doors. It took some googling (German-English Translator) to figure those decals out. Also, not to be anti-semitic here but I couldn't find an single example on the internet of Heinz Bar's Red 13 that had a dashed box on his tail instead of the German Swastika. I get it. Its a politically correct thing. I put the dashed box on there but scale purists should probably order one from Callie if she isn't apposed to such things.

9. Flight: I set her throws up per the manual and dropped an admiral 3000 in her. She tracks like a laser on the ground, only needs about 50% power to take off, and the gear was up. I think I did my initial takeoff with half flaps but you don't need any. She balloons like crazy with flaps. This made landing with flaps kinda scary but doable. I normally don't like to give ANY down stick on landings and probably had to give 25% nose down elevator to land her with flaps. I did mix in some down elevator later (About 10% on Futaba) but never landed her (dead calm today) with more than half flaps and you probably don't need any on a headwindy day. I'll probably cut the flap throws in half before my next flight. I had to add a boatload of nose down trim on that first flight like she was a little tail-heavy and she was very twitchy on the elevator as well. The twitchiness was alleviated on subsequent flights by less throw on elevator low rates and more expo. I also flew her with the Admiral 4000 and prefer that battery which moved the CG forward a little bit. Your not going to push either battery any farther forward without an x-acto knife and I didn't want to do that. She fly's more like a Warbird with the 4000 and less like my FMS Yak 54 and I get a little more flight time at full throttle!

SUMMARY:

Overall, this plane rocks. It flies almost as good as my RocHobby Race 57 Super Corsair (The gold standard for sport/scale warbird performance in the 1100mm size in my opinion) and the quality is great. I give her an easy 5 stars even though I had some issues with the retract strut alignment and she needs a lube-job on the axles. I think I need a Flightline Spitfire in the hangar to re-enact the Battle of Britain! And a Stuka! And a FMS bf-109!

Comment

Very well written and comprehensive write up, thank you!
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post. Well Done Sir!

Comment

Just a couple updates to my review!

1. A scale purist at my club looked at me in horror when I said I was going to Zinc Chromate my gear wells and doors. Apparently the CORRECT color for the wheel wells, gear legs, and door interiors should be Tamiya RLM 02. Thanks Steve.

2. I had such a great experience with the FW190 I purchased the Flightline Spitfire. Although another awesome plane, if this Flightline FW190 was battling the Flightlne Spit during the Battle of Britain, the Brits would be speaking German. The FW190 outperforms that spit in every category!

Comment

I ordered this one from the scratch and dent section. I couldn't resist it for the price from the description it has very minor damage. I'm sure it will be a nice upgrade from my old Flyzone 190 that I love and have had for many years.

Comment

So you was the one. You beat me out my friend. When i seen it i was at work and had to put money on my money card for planes and when i went back on the site it was gone.:Confused: Congrates Farmflyer. I hope you enjoy her
                                        Let me know how she flies.:)
                                        Dewey l

Comment

Working...
                                        X