X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New V-8 P51D

I plan to order the new V-8 1450 P51D very soon. Can anyone give me a basic radio setup for a DX8? When I got my 1400 T-28 I got some awesome setup's and advice on take off's and landing's. I have had 2 P51's before but wasn't really ready at that time and crashed them both. After total confidence with the T-28 I feel I am ready for another P51. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Tootall505 (Chris).

Re: New V-8 P51D

I got my new 1400 Redtail P-51 last week but haven't flown it yet due to weather and field closures as we share the field with the city for events. Cant wait to fly it. I pretty much used the same radio setting I have for my T28 and the instructions for the mustang have some in it. Have been practicing landings on the sim while waiting for a calm day. So it sits in the hanger and looks pretty. What a sexy plane!!!
    Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I have V7 and it is my favorite prop plane. Once in the air I think you will find it very smooth, and fairly easy to fly. The only really tricky part is on the ground. It has a scale rudder and somewhat limited authority. So, it does have a strong weathervane tendency during crosswinds. Remember you never stop 'flying' a tail dragger even when on the ground. You will use much more rudder than you might be used to with your T-28. This plane lands very nicely with half flaps in most wind conditions. I would suggest not using full flaps in windy conditions. Unlike a trike gear you need to fly this to touch down unlike the flare you are used to with your T-28. Smoothly apply power on take off and do not just firewall it from a standing start. Practice some taxiing with a little speed to get a feel for it. Once last suggestion would be to possibly start with a slightly forward CG. It will make it a bit more stable. I am saying slightly forward not grossly so. Oh and if you're using a sim program in a little crosswind it will serve you well.

Have fun! Remember folks this is a hobby (for the vast majority of us) and it should be enjoyable!

Comment

Thanks Bogietrim-I too just received my FMS 1450 V7 P-51D in the Marie scheme from MRC. UPS dropped it at my doorstep just a few minutes ago, and like an excited kid, I couldn't wait to check it out. The box was undamaged, and everything in it looked to be in excellent condition. I've been flying smaller PZ and Dynam warbirds, this is my first larger scale one. My plan is to continue with practicing with the ones I have, including the 1400 FMS Cub until I can absolutely grease the landings and take offs, then build this new P-51 and try it out. Good luck to both you and Tootall505 with your P-51s. I will be following this post to see how you guys do with them. Good Luck!

Comment

2-15-14 A beautiful day in Albuquerque, NM. 72 degrees and partly cloudy sky's. Steady 5-10 mph breeze right down the runway. Made a few changes to my 1400 T28 and spent most of the day sorting them out. After a few flights it was back to it's normal self and flying on rails. I took the new 1450 V8 Mustang redtail and was trying work up enough nerve to take it up. Just about that time the winds picked up a little more than I like so I didn't fly it. Our club president with 30+ years experience asked if I was going to fly it and I told him it hasn't been in the air yet. He offered to take it up and trim it out for me. So I agreed and we were off to the runway. Taxi was perfect, lift off was perfect and it was flying. Only a few clicks of up elevator and a few of right aileron and it was dialed in.

He was very impressed with the plane and how will I did setting everything up, ( patting myself on the back )lol. He made flying it look so easy. Winds came up a bit and I decided to keep it on the ground until tomorrow. I want my maiden flight on the P51 to be perfict. He also trimmed out my friends new V7 P51 which also hasn't flown, with even less trimming than mine and it was dialed in. So we both will be at the field bright and early in the morning to give it another shot. Just hope the winds hold off for a while as I'm iching to fly it.

Wish me luck.
          Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Hello everyone. I got 6 flights on the red tail now and couldn't be more happy with her. She's proven the be very popular at the field and in the air. A photographer came to the field the other weekend and took a ton of photos of all the planes and 20 photos of my red tail P51 posted on Flickr.com/slinehan99.
            The weather this weekend was crappy and next weekend is supposed to be as well, so not much flying going on. I'll keep everyone posted.
            Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Hello everyone. Another beautiful day in Albuquerque, not a cloud in the sky. I have 11 flights on the new Mustang now and it's totally awesome. It's not as fast as I thought it would be but that's ok. It's way more responsive to inputs than the Trojan is, but it takes the wind way better. My take off's still need a little work as I'm not used to hammering the right rudder so much to fight the torque to keep it straight. Landings are getting much easier with every flight. The Sim practice flight are paying off.
              Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

here is the New Red Tail P51D
                Attached Files
                Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I am happy that you and the red tail have bonded well and you have had successes with the plane thus far. If I get much better flying war birds, (<i>haven't flown for 6 months</i>) I would consider getting that
                  P -51 but first I will probably go with a German fighter. Now what you need at your flying field is for one of your other pilots to fly the rival FW-190 or the Bf-109. That would be some nice eye candy for people viewing those iconic planes in pursuit of one another.

Comment

Hey. Another picture perfect day in New Mexico. 80 degrees and 5 to 10 mph breeze right down the runway. Got 45 flights on the red tail now and all is well. Had an issue with retracts for a while but got that sorted out. I put the 580kv motor from my crashed T28 ( after receiving my new t28 ) in the Mustang. It does improve on the static numbers on the power meter, ( from 58 to 65 amps and 810 to 920 watts) but I don't really notice much speed difference in the air. My flying buddy put the zip tie mod on his prop with the 540kv motor and says my Mustang is faster than his but I don't see that much difference. Might try a 2 blade prop just to see. I like the 4 blade for the scale appearance.
                    Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Working...
                    X