X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing Mosquito Sale

Got back home a couple of days ago. I was pleased to see that the TA-152 was back in stock, and was getting ready to place an order. However the November Sales caught my eye.
    The Freewing Mosquito on sale is the same price $199 and I am now torn between the two. I did a search here for info and reviews on the Mosquito. There is no overall reviews on the Squawk.
    So I am asking for some feedback from some of the folks here that I know have one. I am looking for general overviews of the bird, along with any gotchas that one should be aware of.
    My thanks in advance.
    Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
    R. A. Heinlein

Bunch of reviews on the website.
    All Radio Control RC Model Airplanes Motion RC is your trusted number one hobby shop to take off and hit the horizon. You will find radio controlled model airplanes suited for every skill level, from Beginner to Intermediate to Advanced and Expert. Whether you’re looking for your first electric RC airplane and need exp

The build guide has information on improvements that the author made when putting his together.
    This Video demonstrates some building techniques for the FREEWING de Havilland MOSQUITO from MOTIONRC.COM. This is a 5 channel receiver ready replica of the ...

Comment

Hmm, they're so different it's difficult to choose. If you see yourself owning both eventually in the future, then I'd say get the Mosquito first. It's an older aircraft and probably won't be around much longer, compared to the TA-152 which is brand new and has years ahead of it.

Because the Mosquito is an older design from Freewing, as you can see in RCInformer's video there are a lot of potential quirks about the wiring, doors, and other things about it. That being said, it's the largest foam electric Mosquito money can buy, and at that sweetheart price of only $199 it's hard (impossible!) to say no. I'll probably buy one or two for myself just to have in storage as backups.

Because the Ta-152 is a newer (newest) design from Freewing/FlightLineRC, it has a very simple assembly. We're talking four screws for the horizontal stab, four screws for the wing, assemble the prop and linkages, and you're done. Whereas the Mosquito may take 3-4 hours to get together, the Ta-152 can take as little as 30 minutes. But again, at $199 for the Mosquito, I'd say anyone who ever wants one, better buy one sooner rather than later. That price won't last.

Save the Ta-152 for later.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thank you dkalwishky and Alpha,
        I went through the 3 pages of reviews on MotionRC. And there were a handful on there that gave a pretty good overall review.
        I also watched both the flight and build videos from RCinformer. The tricks to get the gears doors working smoothly, didn't look to tough.

I can see myself owning both the TA-152 and the Mosquito, so I agree, Alpha, that that current sale maybe the decider. One thing you said does give me some pause on the Mosquito is that it may not be around much longer, some of the parts for it are currently out of stock. Spinners for example, which is one of the more likely to get broken items. So I wonder how long those have been out of stock and if they will ever be replenished. Though I know there are work-arounds to fit other spinner/prop combos.
        R. A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Delizar View Post
          One thing you said does give me some pause on the Mosquito is that it may not be around much longer, some of the parts for it are currently out of stock. Spinners for example, which is one of the more likely to get broken items. So I wonder how long those have been out of stock and if they will ever be replenished. Though I know there are work-arounds to fit other spinner/prop combos.
          When I buy a plane I also order spare props and a spinner so I'll have them for when I break them. :)

Comment

Hey Delizar, there were spare props and spinners in stock on Monday. Perhaps with the sale there has been a run on them...

Comment

Hi guys

I have that plane I have to say the build is the hardest foamies I have ever done thus far. I also did the flaps on it and that was more then a undertaking to do. But after all that I just said this plane flies wicked cool. Tracks very nice were you stick it it goes and can fly fast yes very fast. With the flaps it makes it slow down very well and landings are a breeze. I would get one and at its price its a no brainier get it you will like this plane.

Comment

No more beating around the bush, pulled the trigger on the Mosquito. Along with some extra prop blades. Put in a Notify on the Spinners and the Gear Doors.
                Actually I am looking forward to the more complex Build. While I do like the new trend of bolt together models. There is a certain satisfaction of having to breakout the epoxy and clamps.

Thank you all for your feedback. One of the things I like about the Squawk over so many forums is the positive nature of the vast majority of the posts here.
                R. A. Heinlein

Comment

The Mosquito is an awesome plane with amazing presence in the air but, as Alpha said, it is an older Freewing plane with a few quirks. The shock absorbing struts are some of the best in the business. The few areas which are trouble are the wiring (watch our video for help), the gear doors (again we have some tips in our video), and the battery compartment. The battery compartment is massive however you can't use a very large battery without adding tail weight. Watch the video to learn how to hook the push rods for the gear doors to the servo. Two push rods go to one servo. The doors are foam with plastic hinges. If the doors don't lineup well to close flush, remove the plastic hinges and reglue them to the doors in a spot which allows them to close flush. You may have to file a little foam from one or both ends of the doors. I wish I had someone help me with those tips because it took me 4 hours to get the doors just right when it should have been 30 - 45 minutes tops. BTW, there is a little play in the retracts so ideally you want to align the doors with the plane upright. You'll have to put it on a stand and work under it to get your final fittings for the doors. I did mine with the plane upside down. Once I had the doors perfectly aligned, I flipped the plane over only to realize the little bit of play in the retracts caused the gear to drop onto the doors and force them open slightly. Wanting perfection, I started over! :p Anyway, it is a great plane and has served me well for 4 years now. I just retired mine (in perfect working order and perfect condition). It now hangs in the Motion RC warehouse as decoration but it is flyable any time. I even left the receiver in it.

P.S. - I only retired it to make room in my garage. I had well over 60 airplanes in there and it was time to make room for some new ones.

Comment

Thanks for your order, Delizar! Watch RCInformer's setup videos again when it arrives and it sounds like you're more than capable of making the Mossie work for you. I'll say that I've flown a few of these in my day and not all of them needed door alignment. One in four, if I had to guess.

Comment

Is the Mosquito going to be discontinued? If it is going away I am going to order some extra spare parts to keep mine flight ready. I have one and it is a great flyer!

Comment

Was not looking to buy anything today but when I noticed the Mosquito on sale. Well had to reconsider.

You convinced me, I checked out the reviews on this site as well as RC Groups. This plane is really well liked. Look forward to flying it in the Spring.

Comment

I couldn't hold out any longer, I ordered one this morning. At $100 off I couldn't resist any longer since I've been eyeballing this one all summer.

I'll need to rewatch the build video to make sure I have gear doors that work well. I'm looking forward to putting this one together, it'll be a nice little challenge.

Comment

Well after thinking about the sale on the Mosquito I went ahead and ordered one as a back up to the one I have already. Just couldn't pass up the sale price and I ordered some spare parts as well. Now I am waiting for the Bearcat to be in stock again!

Nick

Comment

I just bought one, too. Can't wait to get it in, get it built, and get it in the air. I'm really excited to get another twin.
                              ---
                              Warbirder

Comment

Have to hold on a few more hours...keep calm and carry on :angel::dodgy::-/

Comment

Looks like my Twinstar is going to be the first of my twins. No swatting of Mossies!

Comment

I got mine the day before Thanksgiving. It is sitting in my office. So I will be hitting it on Monday. Today I swung by the local hobby shop and picked up some foam safe ca and 30min epoxy for the build.
                                    I did have time on Wednesday to prep the nacells by carefully sanding off the paint on the surfaces to be epoxy ed. One of them fits snug the other has lots of play. Good thing I have lots of clamps to lock it in for the cure.
                                    R. A. Heinlein

Comment

One thing that surprised me a bit was how glossy the green paint is on the Mossy. The two shade of gray are both the more typical satin finish.

Attached Files
                                      R. A. Heinlein

Comment

That does look a bit on the shiny side. The green on mine was somewhat shinier than the grays, although pictures and computer screens can be different from what my eye would see in person. She's begging for some flat matte weathering when you have her all built up!

Comment

Working...
                                        X