Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hrdwy, what do think of this? 1) Finish after all colors are finished approximately as you now see the flying surfaces 2) cover entirely with 2-3 coats of gloss Polycrylic 3) add my Callie markings 4) 0000 the model 5) add chipping, oil, exhaust staining, etcetera 6) shoot entire model with flat clear. That is how I was thinking of continuing. Thoughts? Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	161482
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I thought the model was in a museum!!! All the fancy artwork!!! LOL I really like it all!!! That seems like a great plan... Go with it. I think it looks really nice Bro!!! :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Comment

• Hey Spitfire Fans, I had added the belly signal lights to my Seafire mod. Similar to the quote, "If it don't go...chrome it." LOLThe 3DP parts include Holder for chip style LEDs which doubles as the base, Outer Panel, and 3 Lenses. I'll blink the "Green" light, the others are on full time. Probably not scale, as I have heard differing reasons for these lights and presume these are early AoA Indicator Lights for Carrier use. Frankly, I would like to know. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
          Similar to the quote, "If it don't go...chrome it." LOL
          (can't help myself...)

That's why Harleys have so much chrome.

Best I can find is not supported by any reference, just someone on a forum (and refers to the same series of lights on a P-51):

The lights could be used in combination and could be switched to burn steadily or flash code signals with them. When the switches were in the “DOWN” position, the lights burned steady. When in the center position they were in the “OFF” position. When in the “UP” position the lights were operated intermittently, as coded signals by means of the “KEY” switch.

It does seem to make sense to reduce radio traffic.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
            (can't help myself...)That's why Harleys have so much chrome.********Best I can find is not supported by any reference, just someone on a forum (and refers to the same series of lights on a P-51):The lights could be used in combination and could be switched to burn steadily or flash code signals with them. When the switches were in the “DOWN” position, the lights burned steady. When in the center position they were in the “OFF” position. When in the “UP” position the lights were operated intermittently, as coded signals by means of the “KEY” switch. It does seem to make sense to reduce radio traffic.
            FHH, Hah, LOLLOLLOLyou crack me up! I figured I was the only old enough to remember that saying. LMAO. Thanks for the info, I truly appreciate it. Want MRC to build a blue light box with 6-8 inputs/outputs where each light is fully programmable. How hard could it be? Bought a couple of the inexpensive RC Car/Truck light sets and these would work but a couple of the settings are like the old days of "Disco". Anyway, thanks again. Best, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Looking good LB...Do you have some photos of the Seafire? I'm not remembering what the paint scheme was for those?

We had a beautiful day today...temps in the 70's and no wind! I put in 7 more flights for a total of 48 now. Still loving the Spit as my favorite! Enjoyed carving up the sky with a beautiful blue backdrop...visions of Jimmie Jonson dogfighting! Started noodling on some weathering...pics to follow soon! Rob

Comment

• RCAV8R, Truly envious of your weather, as here in KS we are chilly-willy for November, but I'm getting an early start on the winter projects. I have artist renderings I am using. I fell in love with the "Seafire MkXXIV" Bubble Top and it's livery back when I was building a Pica Spitfire MkV in the early '90s. So this MkIX is a stand-back version of a Seafire MkXIV. If all that makes sense. Me being me, I am taking what I like about all the Seafires and I am 'making it my own' as we say. The painting technique is very much different than my A-10 which is all exercises for my Freewing F-4 Phantom II (the next project). I have clipped the wings like a MkXXIV, added the split Rudder/Tailhook and a paint scheme like Early Asia Seafires/European MkXIV. So there you have it. Happy to pass along 3DP stl files to anyone interested, though I will post those here when I know I'm through building more parts. Best, LB

Name:	5-View Seafire.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	161810Click image for larger version

Name:	Seafire No. 119.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	161811Click image for larger version

Name:	CG Seafire Weathering.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	161812 ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	Seafire Tail Hood pic 3.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	161813Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	590
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	161814Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	161815 ​​​​​​​
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• If it don't go, 'light' it. LOL. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	161836Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	161837 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	161838 ​​​​​​​
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hello Steve, for such significant improvements on Spitfire avionics ....ALL KUDOS :Cool:

Comment

Hey Spitfire Fans, I had added the belly signal lights to my Seafire mod. Similar to the quote, "If it don't go...chrome it." LOLThe 3DP parts include Holder for chip style LEDs which doubles as the base, Outer Panel, and 3 Lenses. I'll blink the "Green" light, the others are on full time. Probably not scale, as I have heard differing reasons for these lights and presume these are early AoA Indicator Lights for Carrier use. Frankly, I would like to know. Best, LB

The lights on the belly were Aircraft Recognition Lights so the colors of the day could be flashed recognizing the aircraft to ground gunners as Friendly not Foe, early IFF...

AoA lights are always at the front of aircraft typically the nose gear on modern carrier aircraft so the LSO Landing Signal Officer can see the aircrafts Angle of Attack during it’s glide slope decent to the deck.
                      AoA lights are also much smaller than recognition lights...
                      You can see the three of them vertically on the nose gear in the picture.
                      Before WWII AoA lights were moved to leading edges.

Hope that helps

Click image for larger version  Name:	878ACC18-9C78-42A0-9BBE-53BE60E1FB55.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	161895

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post

The lights on the belly were Aircraft Recognition Lights so the colors of the day could be flashed recognizing the aircraft to ground gunners as Friendly not Foe, early IFF...Hope that helps
                        O-T, A pilot never stops learning. Outstanding! Thank you muchly. Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

O-T, A pilot never stops learning. Outstanding! Thank you muchly. Best, LB
                          Awe now don’t hog all the credit, even those of us who drag our knuckles in the dark learn a thing or two now n then. ;)

The Seafire is looking great, can hardly wait to see her finished! :Cool:

Comment

• O-T, I stand corrected, Sir, and thanks. Humbly, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• You are a gentleman Sir, We are all brothers in aviation here and the hobby is much better with the collective cooperation I witness on these boards.

Comment

• O-T, Copy that. Though did you just call me a dirty name?LOL LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• What??? :Confused: Do you work for a living? HA!!! Love all you guys!!!!!!! In a manly way, not a prison way..... :Scared:

Comment

• Never mind..... Night all!!! You guys and gals are the very best ever!!! Blessings to you all.... Jerry

Comment

• Hey Y'all, Could not help myself and 'dry-fit' some parts. Ocean gray in down and the blending and weathering begins tomorrow. Received the last of my Callie Graphis today, so after a couple clear coats, markings and more weathering. I have never weathered decals, so this will be a lesson in patience. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	162093Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	162094 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	162095 ​​​​​​​
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Looking good Elbee! I have never done any weathering either myself. Just curious, are you using pastels?
                                        Still Learning:D

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                                          Looking good Elbee! I have never done any weathering either myself. Just curious, are you using pastels?
                                          P, I have not decided. I have a set, but not used those for weathering. If I try that I'll mix those with mineral spirits. I have Tamiya's Panel Line Accents and many acrylic paints, so I thought I'd experiment with those as well after I apply all the markings. Next step is to apply a couple of polycrylic gloss clear coats so the decals have a smooth surface to adhere and then I will scrub the airframe with 0000 or similar as per Hardway's suggestion. Panel lines should be simple as the "Black Basing" left those dark. I will also highlight high areas and darken low areas on the nose to help simulate the raised "Bumps" of the engine covers. We'll see how it goes. Nothing to fear but fear itself. Actually quite cool to try all new techniques. I figure worst case scenario is I am adding 3-4 oz of extra weight and I could always add racing stripes. LOL. Best, LB
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X