Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for your response. Sounds like the BB is reliable then. I'll do likewise with the lights and gear. Can't bring myself to using a y on my ailerons though. I like the flexability of fine tuning each aileron on separate channels. All my aerobatic and 3D models have their ailerons on separate channels.

Comment

• Santa has one of these in his sack for me!

Finally convinced the wife that I 'needed' this plane! As soon as it came back in stock at MRC EU she ordered it for me as a christmas present.
      It arrived last week. Had to have a quick peek to 'check all was present and correct' (that was my excuse anyway). Looks a beautiful model.
      Wifey has taken it away to wrap up for christmas (boo). Can't wait for Christmas day now - feel like a child again!

I'm going to paint (spray) some invasion stripes on the underside of the wings and fuselage - mainly to help my old eyes with orientation in our grey british skies!

I have had the e-flite 1200mm spitfire for a few years now, which I really like, but I've always found it a bit small - hence the reason I 'needed' the upgrade.
      Found the e-flite spit a little slow and flight times too short too.

I had been hanging on to see the hobbyking 1450 spitfire, but a week before that one was released, I decided bigger was better. I do like the scale details though, so planning on fitting the 3d printed cockpit and adding some more scale detail to this one instead.

Was also thinking of painting on the leading edge yellow stripes, and possibly the tail band too. Any off the shelf colours that would be good for these?
      I would also like to find a matching grey colour to paint the servos under the wings. Does anybody know the matching colour? (Maybe Tamiya medium sea grey acrylic?)

Also, I cannot decide whether to give the whole model a spray coat of clear satin after applying the decals. I want to achieve a factory fresh 'airshow' look.

Roll on the 25th - cannot come soon enough!

Comment

• Many modelers in the US will take a small part to a store that sells house paint and have the colors matched in a water based version.

Testors enamel has some close matches straight out of the bottle but they are just close and not perfect matches.

For Straight out the bottle paint matches using testers enamel Braunviolet RLM 81 upper surface Intermediate Blue upper surface Lightblau RLM 76 lower surfaces

Merry Christmas! You will love flying this Spitfire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
          Many modelers in the US will take a small part to a store that sells house paint and have the colors matched in a water based version.

Testors enamel has some close matches straight out of the bottle but they are just close and not perfect matches.

For Straight out the bottle paint matches using testers enamel Braunviolet RLM 81 upper surface Intermediate Blue upper surface Lightblau RLM 76 lower surfaces

Merry Christmas! You will love flying this Spitfire.
          Thanks! Just gooled the Lichtblau RLM 76 - that looks good for the underwing servos.
          I'm really excited to fly this plane, just hoping Christmas brings us some better weather too!

Comment

• Originally posted by JPJI View Post
            [h=1][B]Santa has one of these in his sack for me! I cannot decide whether to give the whole model a spray coat of clear satin after applying the decals.
            JPJI, Missed seeing your posts until now, so Welcome to the "Squawk". As for top coating the airframe after applying decals, I vote yes. The OEM decals don't stick the best and also the top clear coat really pulls everything together. I use Minwax Water Based Polyacrylic Gloss (2-3 coats) BEFORE I put down the decals to reduce 'silvering' though you're going to get some of that regardless. You didn't say whether you're going to use a matte finish for that 'factory fresh' look, but I presume so. I have had great luck with Hobby Lobby's Tree House Studio Matte Clear Spray. Several others have used this as well. Great to hear, Mrs. Claus is bringing you a Spitfire. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

JPJI, Missed seeing your posts until now, so Welcome to the "Squawk". As for top coating the airframe after applying decals, I vote yes. The OEM decals don't stick the best and also the top clear coat really pulls everything together. I use Minwax Water Based Polyacrylic Gloss (2-3 coats) BEFORE I put down the decals to reduce 'silvering' though you're going to get some of that regardless. You didn't say whether you're going to use a matte finish for that 'factory fresh' look, but I presume so. I have had great luck with Hobby Lobby's Tree House Studio Matte Clear Spray. Several others have used this as well. Great to hear, Mrs. Claus is bringing you a Spitfire. Best, LB
              Thanks LB. I've just been reading about the decal issue, so I think I will use some localised gloss coat before applying them.

Comment

• Hello JPJI , I like your approach. In our years, most of us think similar and positive. Happy Christmas in Liverpool :Gift:
                Regards
                Jos

Note: Tamiya Color TS-4 (German grey)...can serve. :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by MesRcPilot View Post
                  Hello JPJI , I like your approach. In our years, most of us think similar and positive. Happy Christmas in Liverpool :Gift:
                  Regards
                  Jos

Note: Tamiya Color TS-4 (German grey)...can serve. :Cool:
                  Thanks Jos!

Comment

• Just a thought - has anybody tried using micro sol & micro set on the waterslides straight onto the factory matt finish?
                    Or Humbrol decalfix?

In this video we explain how to use Humbrol Decalfix and what can be acheieved.Humbrol products used in this video;AC7432 - 125ml Humbrol DecalfixAC6134 - 28...

Comment

• JPJI, Sounds like a plan. I ordered the Spitfire Nomenclature from Callie Graphics and those are all sticky. I did try to use the OEM 'waterslide' 12V with access panel that is located on the port wing fairing. I used the MicroScale Sol and the MicroScale Set, but the decal 'broke up' and even on the gloss coat it was 'silvered', hence the stickys from Callie. You might have better luck here, but I just didn't want to spend the time and not like the outcome. Even the OEM Sticky Roundels have a bit of clear on the edges that silver and don't stick all that well, IMHO. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                        Looking forward to the 3D printed cockpit kit!!
                        Hi Hardway,

I see you painted your tail band. I'm planning on doing the same. Did you mix the colour yourself, or was it an off the shelf colour - if so, do you remember what it was?
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Hi JP and Merry Christmas!!! It was Tamiya Color Acrylic XF-21 (81321). I think that is correct!!! It is not a perfect match for the spinner, but it is close!! https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGR66&P=7 Jerry

Comment

• Originally posted by JPJI View Post

Hi Hardway,

I see you painted your tail band. I'm planning on doing the same. Did you mix the colour yourself, or was it an off the shelf colour - if so, do you remember what it was?
                            OK JP. I just didn't feel right about the Tamiya color, so I got out a bottle of XF-21 and tried it on my Spit. It was too dark!! So I did some research and some mental "digging" and remembered that the color that matches the spinner is from Ammo by MIg Jimenez and the color is Duck Egg Green (BS216) A.MIG 244. I sourced mine from Megahobby.com https://www.megahobby.com/products/e...g-jimenez.html They have the early and late war sets for the RAF and also have the paint in individual bottles too... https://www.megahobby.com/products/d...g-jimenez.html Hope this was helpful!! Many blessings to you and yours this season!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

OK JP. I just didn't feel right about the Tamiya color, so I got out a bottle of XF-21 and tried it on my Spit. It was too dark!! So I did some research and some mental "digging" and remembered that the color that matches the spinner is from Ammo by MIg Jimenez and the color is Duck Egg Green (BS216) A.MIG 244. I sourced mine from Megahooby.com https://www.megahobby.com/products/e...g-jimenez.html They have the early and late war sets for the RAF and also have the paint in individual bottles too... https://www.megahobby.com/products/d...g-jimenez.html Hope this was helpful!! Many blessings to you and yours this season!!
                              Brilliant! Many thanks for your help. Really decent of you to go the extra mile too.

I'm on holiday between Christmas and New Year, so hoping to pick up these colours next week. That way I can start the build as soon as the ever lovely Mrs Santa (wifey) has delivered the goods. It's probably been 30-40 years since I was this excited about Christmas! Big shout out to her - she's really good to me.

Glad I signed up to the 'squawk' there's a wealth of information here...

Merry Christmas & Cheers to you all
                              Jason

Comment

• [QUOTE=JPJI;n167011That way I can start the build as soon as the ever lovely Mrs Santa (wifey) has delivered the goods. It's probably been 30-40 years since I was this excited about Christmas! Big shout out to her - she's really good to me.Merry Christmas & Cheers to you all.Jason[/QUOTE]

Jason, We all should have one like yours. I certainly do by the Grace of the "Big Guy Upstairs". Best to you and yours this Happy Christmas! LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• A Christmas Greeting card for all Spitfire lovers: ''We're old .....but we do not want to grow up'' )

Comment

• Scale performance flight https://youtu.be/egGIn_mDQiM

Comment

• Originally posted by JazzmanB View Post
                                      Scale performance flight https://youtu.be/egGIn_mDQiM
                                      Like full size :Cool: appreciate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MesRcPilot View Post

Like full size :Cool: appreciate it.
                                        Thx kind sir:)

Comment

• What size decals from Callie are correct for this Spitfire?

Comment

Working...
                                          X