Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW, everyone who owns one of these needs to check out this video, this is exactly what I found and re CG'd it so that she was a bit nose heavy with the 5000. Made all the difference in the world. Now mine will fly with the 4500 all the way forward. Added 2.5 oz ( 10 x 7gm weight pads) of weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EgTgQZdeXs
    Team Gross!

Comment

• seems the little blue box has a lot of issues.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
        BTW, everyone who owns one of these needs to check out this video, this is exactly what I found and re CG'd it so that she was a bit nose heavy with the 5000. Made all the difference in the world. Now mine will fly with the 4500 all the way forward. Added 2.5 oz ( 10 x 7gm weight pads) of weight.

Great Video, thanks for posting it. He's flying his at 85mm CG. I guess everyone is a little different, I have mine set up at 95-97mm with the Admiral 4000 and it flies superb (no ballooning and still requires up trim to fly level). Originally used the 5000, however, I found it was a bit quicker and climbed better with the lighter 4000 and also have 2.5 oz weight in the nose. I also have 5 coats of spar urethane and the sound system along with 3 1/4 inch Hanger 9 wheels (couldn't quite get the Robarts to fit right) so it is a little heavier than stock, which is why I opted for the 4000mah instead. I still get 6-7 minutes of flight time so I'm satisfied with that. I absolutely love this plane, the favorite of all my warbirds. I'm currently flying on grass now and use up elevator during taxi, slowly increasing power to get it on the mains, then continue with a little up to keep the nose level and she lifts off beautifully on 1/2 flaps (same technique as in the video). Landing is a breeze with this plane, keep throttle at 25-30% on approach, then drop it to just below 25% about 10 feet above the ground and when I'm level about ankle height above the grass, slowly reduce power till the mains touch then keep a little up to prevent nose over as I shut her throttle down. Lately, all landings have been 2 pointers, rolling out well with no forward or side tipping-makes me look like I know what I'm doing (which is far from the truth). This is just an absolute pleasure to fly and looks amazing in the air! Still working on my Corsair to get all those issues worked out the same.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• best brew ever....

Comment

BTW, everyone who owns one of these needs to check out this video, this is exactly what I found and re CG'd it so that she was a bit nose heavy with the 5000. Made all the difference in the world. Now mine will fly with the 4500 all the way forward. Added 2.5 oz ( 10 x 7gm weight pads) of weight.

GM56, Love the video. Thanks, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Hello Grossman56 , Appreciate for Stuart video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EgTgQZdeXs

Comment

Agree, great flight review video. I personally like my CG book at 90mm and I fly with the 5000. Slight up trim still required on the elevator.

Comment

• Hi Grossman, Further testing of the retract issue suggest that there is some sort of over voltage sensing going on. This is specific to these retract servos.

I like to use a separate Receiver battery for the control servos. However this puts out 7.4 volts

the esc on the Spit puts out 5 volts.

I tried some very big servo retracts from an old Pheonix spit and they worked off the 7.4 volt.

I thought maybe the receiver was doing something funky so I tried different receiver with the same result. Eventually I added a different ESC with a BEC, to my 7.4 v Receiver battery to prove a point and the spit Retracts worked

Conclusion is the 7.4 volts is to hot for these retracts, even tho all other servos work fine. I will need a BEC if I intend to run with a separate receiver battery.

Comment

• Good to hear you figured it out, good shared info for everyone, thanks!

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post

Blessed Easter to you too Jos! You will love this plane...it is by far my favorite! If I may, here are my thoughts for your maiden...

Take-Off...I highly recommend using low rates! I was on high rates for my maiden and I was over compensating for what I anticipated would be some nose-over. The plane leaped into the air, stalled and almost crashed! Low rates are sufficient and a gentle application of up elevator and slow, steady application of throttle will keep it from nosing over. You will also have to apply a slight amount of left rudder to compensate for torque while rolling.

Flight...a pure joy!

Landing...this is probably the only really tricky thing about the Spit, due almost entirely to the narrow stance of the landing gear. Keep the plane level and gradually reduce throttle while adding up elevator until you touch the mains on the runway. I use full flaps and they are fine for me. Once the wheels touch, shift gears mentally: you will need to add left rudder to compensate for torque as it rolls. And as you cut the throttle to let the tail settle down, be prepared for a change in direction causing a wing tip to dip. Compensate with aileron (I usually get a swerve to the right causing the port wing to dip, so adding starboard aileron to compensate) while still using left rudder to hold the straight line as well. The good news is the design is excellent and the underside of the wing tips are solid plastic, so runway rash is very minimal, but the narrow stance makes tracking more difficult, especially once the tail wheel touches. It's just something to be ready for mentally, and you will be fine!

I'm not trying to backseat drive Jos...take my comments or leave them. You will love the plane and have an awesome experience!! Rob
                      Thanks for the detailed help. I can really use it.

Comment

• Welcome to the Squawk bro! So glad you are here. Blessings & Blue skies!!! Jerry

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post

Blessed Easter to you too Jos! You will love this plane...it is by far my favorite! If I may, here are my thoughts for your maiden...

Take-Off...I highly recommend using low rates! I was on high rates for my maiden and I was over compensating for what I anticipated would be some nose-over. The plane leaped into the air, stalled and almost crashed! Low rates are sufficient and a gentle application of up elevator and slow, steady application of throttle will keep it from nosing over. You will also have to apply a slight amount of left rudder to compensate for torque while rolling.

Flight...a pure joy!

Landing...this is probably the only really tricky thing about the Spit, due almost entirely to the narrow stance of the landing gear. Keep the plane level and gradually reduce throttle while adding up elevator until you touch the mains on the runway. I use full flaps and they are fine for me. Once the wheels touch, shift gears mentally: you will need to add left rudder to compensate for torque as it rolls. And as you cut the throttle to let the tail settle down, be prepared for a change in direction causing a wing tip to dip. Compensate with aileron (I usually get a swerve to the right causing the port wing to dip, so adding starboard aileron to compensate) while still using left rudder to hold the straight line as well. The good news is the design is excellent and the underside of the wing tips are solid plastic, so runway rash is very minimal, but the narrow stance makes tracking more difficult, especially once the tail wheel touches. It's just something to be ready for mentally, and you will be fine!

I'm not trying to backseat drive Jos...take my comments or leave them. You will love the plane and have an awesome experience!! Rob
                          I too absolutely love this plane, and agree with everything you said in your flying tips. The only question I have, is that on take-off and landing, I have to use right rudder to compensate for the prop wash. All my tail dragging warbirds want to go left on take-off and I need to add a little right rudder to stay on track.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Just put four of the greatest flights I've had on my Spitfire!!
                            Using the extra weight in the nose made this a totally different bird to fly....in a good way!
                            I ran the 5000 and the 4500 batteries, 5000 back a bit and the 4500 all the way forward. We had some wind right down the runway so flaps were not needed and she settled in pretty as you please! RCA is correct about the little dance she does, but once that is in your brain bytes, its just a matter of watching for it. The last two landings were no throttle as the momentum and the breeze more than made up for the lack of power. I have noticed that a low down wind approach with a level base and turn to final really helps to keep the speed in check. With no flap landings, she picks up a fair amount of speed while losing altitude which you're trying to bleed off on final. Such a cool plane, I'm really loving her now!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2157.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	206587

Haven't popped a landing gear out in a long time, which was getting to be a pain. Which brings up the question, is there a replacement available for the plastic strut hinge? I don't see anything on the spare parts page.....

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Just put four of the greatest flights I've had on my Spitfire!! Haven't popped a landing gear out in a long time, which was getting to be a pain. Which brings up the question, is there a replacement available for the plastic strut hinge? I don't see anything on the spare parts page...Grossman56
                              G56, If memory serves, someone in the forum had a similar issue with a landing and promptly designed a strut hinge suitable for 3DP. Might double check past posts, arrgh, I know. If you find the post, might see if he will post the STL file as we all might need that as an option. Best, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I have the h9 spit, this spit, holman me109f, h9 me109f, cmp me109f, fms me109. I found the key to not touching a wing tip on roll out was to avoid yaw. I almost always fly in cross wind and have found that my attempt to keep it tracking straight causes the wing tip touch, because of the yaw I cause trying to get it to track where I want. so I expect the plane to curl into the wind at the end of the rollout and will allow it and give aileron into the wind once the tail wheel comes down.

my spit has an aft cg, well beyond what the destructions call for and it handles pretty well on the ground.

Joe
                                Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I too absolutely love this plane, and agree with everything you said in your flying tips. The only question I have, is that on take-off and landing, I have to use right rudder to compensate for the prop wash. All my tail dragging warbirds want to go left on take-off and I need to add a little right rudder to stay on track.
                                  Hugh, you are correct on the rudder direction! Rob mis spoke on the left rudder and then he adjusted it in a later post if I remember correctly! Right rudder!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

Hugh, you are correct on the rudder direction! Rob mis spoke on the left rudder and then he adjusted it in a later post if I remember correctly! Right rudder!
                                    Yes you are correct, right rudder is needed and Rob posted this after realizing the error.... I was at the flying field when he was flying the spit that day

Rich

Comment

• Ok now for the hard part applying the decals

should I clear coat first so that I get a bit of slip

or paint afterwards. Or do it before and after

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

Thanks guys, I'm usually a little dyslectic and do things the opposite from everyone else, to my detriment, so just wanted to know for sure. I'm the last person to take any advice from.
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Ass-backwards or Bass-akwards??? LOL Blessings Bro!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X