• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyTaff View Post
    Ok now for the hard part applying the decals

should I clear coat first so that I get a bit of slip

or paint afterwards. Or do it before and after
    Apply gloss coat first to avoid 'silvering' of the decals. Coat again afterwards to get consistent sheen level of your choice.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by JPJI View Post

Apply gloss coat first to avoid 'silvering' of the decals. Coat again afterwards to get consistent sheen level of your choice.
      Ok so having Coated the plane do I need to wet the decals or are they peel and stick

i so notice that the small lettering is marked wet transfer

Comment

• I'm not sure about the stock markings, but I did use the stock nomenclature and they peeled off after being coated with Minwax Matte finish. The rest of my markings are from Callie Graphics and they work great when applied straight to the surface.

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Finally got my spit together. I am sure about Flightline, I think they spoiled the ship for an halfpence of tar ( cheaped out on finish)

This is my first ever flightline aircraft and probably my last.

Many Issues including the retracts not working when using a separate receiver Battery.. Turns out retracts have some kind of over voltage detection built in.
          If your run it with the 6s and the supplied ESC they work just fine ( BEC is 5amp at 5volts) My battery would supply 12 amps.. If I add another BEC to drop the receiver battery voltage down to 5 volts retracts work but will not no way no how work with the 7.4 V from a receiver battery... All other servos were fine.

Also never hook up the led lights without the little blue box they lite very bright for a short period of time.. (nano seconds)

Finally the decals what a P.I.T.A no instruction as to what the three different types are. and no instructions on how to apply them.

Slightest touch of a sticky decal on the paint when trying to attach results in paint coming off. Paint is not well adhered to airframe.

I hope it flies better than it went together.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTaff View Post
            Finally got my spit together. I am sure about Flightline, I think they spoiled the ship for an halfpence of tar ( cheaped out on finish)

This is my first ever flightline aircraft and probably my last.

Many Issues including the retracts not working when using a separate receiver Battery.. Turns out retracts have some kind of over voltage detection built in.
            If your run it with the 6s and the supplied ESC they work just fine ( BEC is 5amp at 5volts) My battery would supply 12 amps.. If I add another BEC to drop the receiver battery voltage down to 5 volts retracts work but will not no way no how work with the 7.4 V from a receiver battery... All other servos were fine.

Also never hook up the led lights without the little blue box they lite very bright for a short period of time.. (nano seconds)

Finally the decals what a P.I.T.A no instruction as to what the three different types are. and no instructions on how to apply them.

Slightest touch of a sticky decal on the paint when trying to attach results in paint coming off. Paint is not well adhered to airframe.

I hope it flies better than it went together.
            As commented on RCGroups:

Decals are best wet applied so you can slide them around. They should have explained this better in the instructions.

Over voltage protection on the retracts is better than the magic smoke coming out when too high a voltage is applied to them.
            If you are using a 6+ volt receiver battery, then you should always make sure that all the electronics are rated for high voltage, or use a voltage regulator to reduce voltage to below 6v.
            If you are going to apply a higher voltage to any of the electronics than the manufacturer intended, then they cannot be held responsible for any damage that results.

Paint is not very well adhered to the foam, which is typical for all foamies. (paint does not stick well to foam)

Comment

• Howdy.... The servos and retracts are designed to run on 5.1 volts DC or very close to that voltage threshold. The LEDS are rated at about 2.8-3.0 v dc, and that is why there is a blue box, to regulate that current... You can have 1000 amps available, and that is OK! You just cant have too many volts! I am surprised the retracts didn't fry to be honest.... Good luck with your maiden...

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

Yes you are correct, right rudder is needed and Rob posted this after realizing the error.... I was at the flying field when he was flying the spit that day

Rich
                Sorry for the confusion guys, Rich and Jerry are correct...I misspoke and the correct rudder correction for torque should be right, not left!

Comment

• I hope you guys will forgive me for a minor hijack, but as a Spitfire enthusiast I hope you find these photos of interest! First, here are some shots of my recently completed 1/32 scale Spit model...lots of experiments in airbrushing, shading, washes, etc., but I love the opportunity to get into the detail! This is a Mark Vb. Rob Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	206960Click image for larger version

Name:	port profile1.JPG
Views:	888
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	206961Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.JPG
Views:	927
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	206962Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.JPG
Views:	907
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	206963Click image for larger version

Name:	front low.JPG
Views:	905
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	206964

Comment

• And then I just returned form the Flying Legends air show at Duxford, England. An amazing collection of warbirds, and all flying! About half a dozen Spitfires, some Hispano Buchon M4L's (a Spanish derivative of the ME 109), and on and on! Such an amazing bit of history! Rob Click image for larger version

Name:	costumes.JPG
Views:	925
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	206975Click image for larger version

Name:	flightline.JPG
Views:	910
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	206976Click image for larger version

Name:	ME3.JPG
Views:	894
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	206977Click image for larger version

Name:	spits takeoff.JPG
Views:	886
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	206978Click image for larger version

Name:	spit upclose2.JPG
Views:	884
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	206979Click image for larger version

Name:	formation.JPG
Views:	890
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	206980

Comment

• Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
                        And then I just returned form the Flying Legends air show at Duxford, England. An amazing collection of warbirds, and all flying! About half a dozen Spitfires, some Hispano Buchon M4L's (a Spanish derivative of the ME 109), and on and on! Such an amazing bit of history! Rob Click image for larger version  Name:	spits takeoff.JPG Views:	4 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	206978Click image for larger version  Name:	spit upclose2.JPG Views:	4 Size:	136.1 KB ID:	206979
                        Welcome home sir!

Glad you had a nice trip and thanks for sharing your photos

we will need to catch up soon.
                        Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
                          I hope you guys will forgive me for a minor hijack, but as a Spitfire enthusiast I hope you find these photos of interest! First, here are some shots of my recently completed 1/32 scale Spit model...lots of experiments in airbrushing, shading, washes, etc., but I love the opportunity to get into the detail! This is a Mark Vb. Rob Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	206960Click image for larger version

Name:	port profile1.JPG
Views:	888
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	206961Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.JPG
Views:	927
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	206962Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.JPG
Views:	907
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	206963Click image for larger version

Name:	front low.JPG
Views:	905
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	206964
                          Beautiful work RCAV8R!

Comment

• Just a suggestion, to all do not bother with any of the stock water slide decals, because Callie grraphics has a fantastic nomenclature decal sheet for under $10.00, and you will save yourself a ton of grief...

Comment

• Originally posted by dblmars View Post
                              Just a suggestion, to all do not bother with any of the stock water slide decals, because Callie grraphics has a fantastic nomenclature decal sheet for under $10.00, and you will save yourself a ton of grief...
                              Well said, I used her nomenclature on my Spitty, as well as every other plane I have that she has the nomenclature graphics for. They are definitely worth the few extra bucks!
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by dblmars View Post
                                Just a suggestion, to all do not bother with any of the stock water slide decals, because Callie grraphics has a fantastic nomenclature decal sheet for under $10.00, and you will save yourself a ton of grief...
                                Yep, found that out for myself. I used Callie's decals for all the main markings and made the mistake of using the stock nomenclature decals. The result, hers are still on and the stock ones are falling off. They even ripped while trying to put them on. Should have been my first clue. I didn't use the stock decals on the F7F or the Spitfire, but I used the Blue Angels set on the F8F with success, so I don't know if the decal supplier was changed between the manufacture of the F8F and the Spitfire, but the quality seems to have gone down hill. Anyone have any difficulty with the main markings stock decals??

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	12AD8E40-418A-466E-9468-01B254C53C15.jpeg
Views:	778
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	208196Click image for larger version

Name:	C1CBD98F-2925-4382-99EC-0E8A8BF233A3.jpeg
Views:	763
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	208195Click image for larger version

Name:	8A96D5F8-49BC-41CE-863F-9FD0EEB3E422.jpeg
Views:	744
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	208194Click image for larger version

Name:	BBE7E20F-4374-40E2-B774-80D1E4267122.jpeg
Views:	741
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	208193Click image for larger version

Name:	490885AD-5999-491B-A01E-9CD94D4BC7D0.jpeg
Views:	779
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	208192Click image for larger version

Name:	8B0838B6-97D4-40AE-B2BD-EFAE37009C4A.jpeg
Views:	780
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	208191Click image for larger version

Name:	F7997812-90A4-48B3-8E79-88F54819856F.jpeg
Views:	733
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	208190Click image for larger version

Name:	413F94F9-28A9-4CAD-B44D-61E4977E3178.jpeg
Views:	731
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	208189Click image for larger version

Name:	43F99F06-D1EF-42EC-9255-DDFE46B63557.jpeg
Views:	737
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	208188Click image for larger version

Name:	1C0BCD27-1145-4299-B118-543F75011413.jpeg
Views:	726
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	208187Click image for larger version

Name:	50BC0D22-FC0B-40B1-A551-C648BC59E2EE.jpeg
Views:	785
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	208186 Finally found time to finish off my Spitfire!
                                  Tolga
                                  Instagram: @_t01ga_
                                  YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Originally posted by t01ga View Post
                                    Finally found time to finish off my Spitfire!
                                    TGA, I like it! Lookin' good, Sir. Great attention to detail, too. Best, LB
                                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

TGA, I like it! Lookin' good, Sir. Great attention to detail, too. Best, LB
                                      Thanks LB, much appreciated!
                                      Tolga

Comment

• Beautiful work T01ga! He looks like he's ready to fly across the channel.

Comment

• Originally posted by boomer108 View Post
                                          Beautiful work T01ga! He looks like he's ready to fly across the channel.
                                          Thanks Boomer.
                                          Tolga

Comment

Working...
                                          X