X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
    I was wondering if any 3d print pros could make a eddie pilot for my soon to arrive spitfire?
    I would gladly pay a reasonable rate

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake View Post
      I would gladly pay a reasonable rate
      Drake, If you can find an STL file getting him printed is the easier part. Having someone design "Eddie" from scratch takes time, time is money, and therein lies the rub. Step 1 for you is to find an STL file for Eddie. Check "Thingiverse" to start and maybe a site called "Cults", though I'm not sure if that's the correct name. hope I've assisted in some way. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks Elbee, I'll see whats out there in the file world, and go from there.

Comment

• This has probably been addressed before in the 129 pages of this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a pilot replacement of the USAAF pilot to an RAF pilot that looks equally good. Mine is outfitted in the colors of Witold "Lanny" Lanowski who flew in a Polish squadron in the RAF and then transferred to the 56th Fighter Group in WWII.

Appreciate any leads on this. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
            This has probably been addressed before in the 129 pages of this thread, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a pilot replacement of the USAAF pilot to an RAF pilot that looks equally good. Mine is outfitted in the colors of Witold "Lanny" Lanowski who flew in a Polish squadron in the RAF and then transferred to the 56th Fighter Group in WWII. Appreciate any leads on this. Thanks!
            DG, I do not know of a dedicated RAF Pilot in a scale that fits the "Spittie" and I looked. I bought an "Aces of Iron" USAAF Pilot and modded it a bit to 'look-like' an RAF Pilot. Paint choices helped and good documentation for the colors and equipment. I liked the way he turned out actually. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	893
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	213388Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	909
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	213389Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	892
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	213390Click image for larger version

Name:	KT-8003-01.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	213391Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016 (2).JPG
Views:	853
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	213392
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Dear Steve , I declare you the Spitfire's Interior Designer of the Year award

Comment

• Originally posted by MesRcPilot View Post
                Dear Steve , I declare you the Spitfire's Interior Designer of the Year award :wink.
                Jos, You are too kind, Sir. I appreciate the compliment very much. I just build them as I see them. I hope all is well with you these days. My very best with love to you and yours, Steve
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DG, I do not know of a dedicated RAF Pilot in a scale that fits the "Spittie" and I looked. I bought an "Aces of Iron" USAAF Pilot and modded it a bit to 'look-like' an RAF Pilot. Paint choices helped and good documentation for the colors and equipment. I liked the way he turned out actually. Best, LB
                  beautiful work!!!
                  thanks for sharing
                  Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post
                    beautiful work!!!thanks for sharingRich
                    Rich, Thank you, Sir. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elbee;n213387]

Nice work on the pilot figure, Elbee. I might try that someday to at least give the appearance of an RAF pilot flying an RAF squadron plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	893
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	213388Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	909
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	213389Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	892
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	213390Click image for larger version

Name:	KT-8003-01.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	213391Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016 (2).JPG
Views:	853
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	213392
                        I had Akuma Zeto paint my Aces of Iron Pilot in British colors as well, he looks great!

Name:	image_20953.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	213649

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• There is also this option from https://www.warbirdpilots.com/produc...lot-figure.htm, though your figure looks great Elbee!
                          Tom
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogo View Post
                            Tom, Now that's one great lookin' RAF Pilot.Good find! Thanks for the URL, too. Best, Steve
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I just ordered a 1600mm spitty and was looking for tip and tricks on setting up for my maiden. I have watched videos on youtube and understand it's a torque beast that requires controls to keep the tail planted and plane from rolling left. I am a very seasoned pilot but all planes fly differently and I plan on taking off and landing in grass. Any tips on throws rates and cg would be much appreciated. I want to use my Turnigy 60 c 4000 and 4500 batterys but what does everyone use as far as weight and placement?

Thanks,
                              D

Comment

• Welcome! I have not flown mine yet, so hopefully the seasoned folks will chime in! Glad you are here

Comment

• Right rudder!

Comment

• Originally posted by Triple D View Post
                                    I just ordered a 1600mm spitty and was looking for tip and tricks on setting up for my maiden. I have watched videos on youtube and understand it's a torque beast that requires controls to keep the tail planted and plane from rolling left. I am a very seasoned pilot but all planes fly differently and I plan on taking off and landing in grass. Any tips on throws rates and cg would be much appreciated. I want to use my Turnigy 60 c 4000 and 4500 batterys but what does everyone use as far as weight and placement?

Thanks,
                                    D
                                    I fly mine off of grass as well and it flies exceptionally well. I have my cg a little further back I think than others, at 97mm from the leading edge with the gear down, and I still need some down elevator when inverted, so I think it is acceptable. I have the MR RC sound system in, so mine is a little heavier than stock, especially with the 5 coats of spar urethane that I also put on. For that reason, I fly with an Admiral 6S 4000mah instead of the 5000 suggested and I still get 6-7 minutes flight time and it seams to me a little more nimble with the smaller battery. Control surfaces are set as per the manual.

When taking off on grass, slowly increase the throttle while holding almost full up elevator and begin to input right rudder to keep it straight. Then as you reach about 25% throttle, release the elevator slowly, letting the tail come up, but only let it come to level or even with a slight down attitude-say about 5 degrees (this prevents early lift off and stalling). At this point, your rudder will have enough air flow to help keep it from going left, as I have to use a lot of right elevator at slower speeds, but as the taxiing speed increases, you will see better rudder control Continue increasing throttle while maintaining that slight down attitude till your well over 60% throttle, then you can give it a small amount of up elevator and full throttle to take off smoothly. If you leave the full up elevator too long while increasing the throttle, the plane will lift off too soon and you will be in a stall mode.

On landing, I go to low rates (with about 40% expo on the elevator to keep from making exaggerated pitch changes) and bring it in on a glide slope with about 40% throttle, slowly backing it off to around 20%-25% as you keep level with the ground 6" to a foot off the runway, then slowly let it down while keeping the plane in a level attitude as the mains touch down, cut the throttle and let it roll out and the tail comes down. Don't try to flare it at the last minute before touchdown to get a three point landing, as you may have it rise too high and end up stalling it and dropping one wing. A 2 point landing is the way to go, just keep up enough speed to accomplish that.

Good luck with the maiden, just relax and feel confident. After about 2 or 3 take-offs and landings, you'll be dialed in. Don't accelerate too fast on take-off at the beginning, otherwise you will be mowing the lawn (do I even need to tell you how I know-at the beginning, our club wanted to hire me to keep the grass short by flying all my warbirds).
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I just ordered a 1600mm spitty and was looking for tip and tricks on setting up for my maiden. I have watched videos on youtube and understand it's a torque beast that requires controls to keep the tail planted and plane from rolling left. I am a very seasoned pilot but all planes fly differently and I plan on taking off and landing in grass. Any tips on throws rates and cg would be much appreciated. I want to use my Turnigy 60 c 4000 and 4500 batterys but what does everyone use as far as weight and placement?

Thanks,
                                      D
                                      Excellent take off and landing advice above from Hugh.
                                      You may need to add a bit of nose weight if you are only using 4000mah batteries. With my 5000mah battery shoved all the way forward, I just get the recommended CG, which I find to my liking.

Comment

I am a very seasoned pilot...
                                        DDD, A Hearty Welcome to "The Squawk", Sir. Your advice here should be a great addition. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thank you for making me feel welcome. It's nice to have fellow pilots share their passion and experience with others who seek commradery and wisdom.

This is my first large warbird and I am really Stoked to get her up and flying nice. I sold my ROCHobby P39 Airacobra to a fellow pilot because I couldnt fly it off the grass park near my home. I did fly it when I belonged to a local club and loved it. I have several MP Dog fighters that are really great and figured why not buy a larger spitty.

Comment

Working...
                                          X