Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True indeed simulation mode does get really close!

Comment

• Not trying to be coy, but I've played my fair share of video games...mostly driving simulators. I have also participated in actual track days and have trained at Skip Barber's driving school. Video games are nothing like actually being in a car on a track...nothing.

Short of flying an actual Spitfire yourselves...which I could be wrong but I'm guessing you fellas haven't...how do you know its close??:) Don't get me wrong...games are great fun and very realistic on the surface, but I doubt sitting in, smelling the smells, hearing the sounds, feeling the vibration, getting your hands and feet on the controls, feeling the G forces, and actually flying a Spitfire can be duplicated at all with a home computer. That's certainly the way it is with actual race cars in my experience,.
      Big time propeller head
      Love flying scale and 3D
      Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• No question. I flew a full scale P-51D Mustang once and I could totally tell the difference between the real thing and a Simula....er, wait...I think I was dreaming that I flew a real P-51D Mustang once...DANG IT!!! ;) LOL :Silly:
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Oh yeah...I've had that dream!!
          Big time propeller head
          Love flying scale and 3D
          Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• The closest most of us are going to get to rating a flight sim is to compare it to the model. I've got several different sims and no matter how "real" the sim manufacturer says their product is, when you get to the field, it's nothing like what the sim tried to convey. The purpose of the sim is to help the user develop reflex and control skills (and to have some fun). Don't be surprised when you fly the RC model, your first response is .................................. WTF???????? Or ........................ OH, SHHHHH................!

Comment

• LOL Right On XV
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Yep been flying sims for years and while some models are so accurate to the real thing it's creepy, most are NOTHING like the real model. Still, sims are great tools to develop basic stick skills/muscle memory and it really can translate over but nothing beats the real thing.
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• And, if you can't fly a simulator well, then you sure as heck won't be able to fly the real thing halfway decently.
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

• Yes, my experience too. RF 7.5 is okay to get the feel of the controls and such, but for shooting landings or takeoffs, totally different.
                    Good way to figure out aerobatics in the sense of what stick inputs it takes to perform a particular maneuver, but there's nothing like taking the planes to the field.
                    We all get a buzz from a great day at the flight line, but how many get the same from a Sim ??

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Agree 100%. I call the sims "brain training", and whilst it's great for muscle memory etc, it doesn't completely translate to actually flying. I always encourage a new student to buy a sim, and you can tell which of your students have been practicing on the sim or not lol. It certainly helps, especially when you are learning, or trying to get down a new 3D trick etc. I also find it very helpful to learn my iMac routines. If I repeat the sequence often enough on the sim, i find I memorise it pretty quickly - and makes actual flying practice or competition day so much easier - as I'm not thinking about what manoeuvre comes next, I'm just concentrating on making it smooth and flowing. One thing I'd recommend for pilots looking to advance their skills a bit, is download one of the basic imac routines. It really helps with your precision, and doing imac helped my 3D flying immensely. Plus it's fun to learn a basic aerobatic routine, and is great for display days etc. highly recommend it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starck Mad View Post
                        Not trying to be coy, but I've played my fair share of video games...mostly driving simulators. I have also participated in actual track days and have trained at Skip Barber's driving school. Video games are nothing like actually being in a car on a track...nothing.

Short of flying an actual Spitfire yourselves...which I could be wrong but I'm guessing you fellas haven't...how do you know its close??:) Don't get me wrong...games are great fun and very realistic on the surface, but I doubt sitting in, smelling the smells, hearing the sounds, feeling the vibration, getting your hands and feet on the controls, feeling the G forces, and actually flying a Spitfire can be duplicated at all with a home computer. That's certainly the way it is with actual race cars in my experience,.
                        I have many more hours playing racing sims like on Gran Turismo. And since then I have had the opportunity take my cars ( Acura Integra and Subrau WRX ) to the race track for Hyper-drives. After a few laps the instructors would always ask me if I have had any racing experience before because I would get the hang of it quick and was hitting all the apexes. lol.

As for flight sims go, DCS seems to be the best out there for accurate professional flight models of military aircraft. I once read in a forum for the L-39 Albatros of a pilot who had actually gotten to fly an L-39 and said the DCS version was pretty close to the real thing.

Comment

• Good mate of mine has the dcs, with a full cockpit mockup and switches, correct throttles etc. is awesome fun and about as realistic as you can get. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                            Agree 100%. I call the sims "brain training", and whilst it's great for muscle memory etc, it doesn't completely translate to actually flying. I always encourage a new student to buy a sim, and you can tell which of your students have been practicing on the sim or not lol. It certainly helps, especially when you are learning, or trying to get down a new 3D trick etc. I also find it very helpful to learn my iMac routines. If I repeat the sequence often enough on the sim, i find I memorise it pretty quickly - and makes actual flying practice or competition day so much easier - as I'm not thinking about what manoeuvre comes next, I'm just concentrating on making it smooth and flowing. One thing I'd recommend for pilots looking to advance their skills a bit, is download one of the basic imac routines. It really helps with your precision, and doing imac helped my 3D flying immensely. Plus it's fun to learn a basic aerobatic routine, and is great for display days etc. highly recommend it.
                            Will it help me finally nail down the rolling harrier? Because I have invested stupid amounts of hours trying to master that darn maneuver and apparently my brain and fingers refuse to cooperate! :Angry: :Silly: ;)

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Will it help me finally nail down the rolling harrier? Because I have invested stupid amounts of hours trying to master that darn maneuver and apparently my brain and fingers refuse to cooperate! :Angry: :Silly: ;)
                              Lmao... Mate, I'll pm you later this arvo with a few tips that helped me learn how to do it, might be something I suggest that you haven't tried. And yes, the sim will help with the coordination part, but add a bit of weight to the sim model to make it a bit more realistic. If you use phoenix, use the big red,white n blue extra as it's the most realistic. I don't know the planes in realflight. I'll pm you later this arvo. ;) (I assume you can do a normal harrier?)

Comment

• PM received. Thanks Shirty! Excellent advice.
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	78877 Anytime!

Comment

• As soon as I get the clearance, thy button shall be pushed.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

As soon as I get the clearance, thy button shall be pushed.
                                      I hope that notification button does its job! lol

Comment

• It should...Just make sure emails from us clear your spam/junk folders and all will be divine. :)
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

PM received. Thanks Shirty! Excellent advice.
                                          More than welcome mate. Hope it helps. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                          X