Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie, been flying mine for 2 seasons, this being 3 after the rain stops? I've never noticed a miss aligned e, not that I was looking for it but I think that would have caught my eye, specially with the spoons. I fly on 6s5a20c batteries that are 100grams heavier than the stuff everyone else is using cause of their age, pushed to the back of the bat tray. which would take out a lot of that trim

Joe
    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post
      Charlie, been flying mine for 2 seasons, this being 3 after the rain stops? I've never noticed a miss aligned e, not that I was looking for it but I think that would have caught my eye, specially with the spoons. I fly on 6s5a20c batteries that are 100grams heavier than the stuff everyone else is using cause of their age, pushed to the back of the bat tray. which would take out a lot of that trim

Joe
      I hear ya Joe and know that your all about neutral trim configurations as I am.
      Maybe FL purposely stated the CG more nose heavy as a start which required the offset of 2mm up E so that the elliptical wing was more manageable for lesser skilled pilots trying to land at "walking speeds":Smug:.
      It just don't make sense but then again it seems the industry is trying to make all warbirds accessible to skill levels of pilots that really aren't ready for some of these birds based on recommended skill levels but that's another topic.

Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by MesRcPilot View Post
        Hello Rich, nice to see a man , of my age, who are get older ... but not growing up...;) Thanks for this picture and, if you can, one video story ... in the future.Greetings from Croatia.:Cool:
        Thank you Jos

I don't get down that low much anymore is hard getting my knees to work LOL

I will try and have Rob take some videos when we go out flying together. Hopefully I will have a nice take off and landing in one take :)

Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
          Yep Rich!!! What Jos said!!! Congrats!! And greeting Jos from Texas!!! Hope everyone has a very blessed week!! Jerry
          Thank you Jerry.... You have a blessed week too! Cool weather heading back into our area... rain forecasted too
          Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Have followed this thread ever since I saw it fly 2 years ago at NEFI with Pilot Ryan. It was on my list last year to buy until the incinerator event turned my RC world upside down.
            So as I rebuild the fleet, this Spitty is at the top of list. I noticed Rich's comment above in bold which struck me as strange. So I went and found the manual on the MRC website which yes indeed it does call for up E trim of 2mm based on this statement from the manual "Depending on your flight battery and your personal preference for flight stability versus agility, trim the elevator 2mm up."
            So my conundrum with this is why?? If there is an ability to adjust the battery position aft (that's a question) then why would you not position it for neutral E.
            I have always strived to trim my aircraft so that ALL control surfaces would/should be at neutral position unless there is a mechanical obstruction preventing such adjustments for CG like there is on the FL P-38.
            Mystified as to what this is all about with the Spitty
            :Confused::Thinking:
            to be honest, I do not know why MRC is recommending the 2-3mm up trim on the elevator My CG is pretty close to the 100mm and I agree that the balance should help determine the flight trim. I wonder if the incidence is off slightly on the molds and it would be to expensive to start over?

The plane fly's beautifully and does not need any down elevator when flying inverted.

I am very happy with my Spitfire and would buy it again!
            Rich

Comment

I hear ya Joe and know that your all about neutral trim configurations as I am.
              Maybe FL purposely stated the CG more nose heavy as a start which required the offset of 2mm up E so that the elliptical wing was more manageable for lesser skilled pilots trying to land at "walking speeds":Smug:.
              It just don't make sense but then again it seems the industry is trying to make all warbirds accessible to skill levels of pilots that really aren't ready for some of these birds based on recommended skill levels but that's another topic.

they are in the selling planes business so I can't blame them for trying to appeal to a larger audience. as for the CG I always assume the listed cg is a starting point, I like an aft CG. that's the big push on the fms fw this year, I added a heavier motor, and battery. so this year the factory wt comes out of the nose (that will make up for the battery, then the battery gets moved back till it makes up for the motor.

but getting back to the spit, I can't imagine taxiing w the suggested cg at CB. I have some new 6s batteries that are 100grams lighter than the older ones and the plane gets really easy to raise the tail. I had a wanky E servo for the first 30 flights, now its rock solid. landings w flaps teach bad habbits, I actually have to float it down w flaps so I have not been using them. once I get the servos replaced i'll adjust for a more scale deploy and see if that helps w making it land like all my other planes. now it gets to ground affect and the nose comes up.

Joe
              Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

to be honest, I do not know why MRC is recommending the 2-3mm up trim on the elevator My CG is pretty close to the 100mm and I agree that the balance should help determine the flight trim. I wonder if the incidence is off slightly on the molds and it would be to expensive to start over?

The plane fly's beautifully and does not need any down elevator when flying inverted.

I am very happy with my Spitfire and would buy it again!
                Rich
                Thanx for your input Rich. Yes it is a little befuddling but I WILL NOT let this minor anomaly stop me from owing this.;)
                I guess my ol' engineering perfectionism just gets the better of me.:Nerd:

I can remember when the FL P-38 was introduced and I raised the question about the manual stating 4mm up E
                and it all netted out to the fact that the batteries could not be moved far enough aft due to the aluminum structure
                in the leading edge of the wing center section through the fuselage to achieve a proper CG.:Smug:
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanx for your input Rich. Yes it is a little befuddling but I WILL NOT let this minor anomaly stop me from owing this.;)
                  I guess my ol' engineering perfectionism just gets the better of me.:Nerd:

I can remember when the FL P-38 was introduced and I raised the question about the manual stating 4mm up E
                  and it all netted out to the fact that the batteries could not be moved far enough aft due to the aluminum structure
                  in the leading edge of the wing center section through the fuselage to achieve a proper CG.:Smug:
                  Very interesting

Again this is only my speculation about the elevator trim. I am using the Venom Fly 6S 5000 which are about 40grams lighter than the new Admiral battery. I also use heaver Thunder Power batteries for my EDF's. I will definitely will try moving the CG back some more, but so far I like the way it holds consistent speeds on the landing approach/

Rich

Comment

• just put 3 flights on mine after work with this battery:

Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C Lipo Pack w/XT90 Connector. Turnigy batteries are known the world over for performance, reliability and price. It’s no surprise to us that Turnigy Lipoly packs are the go-to pack for those in the know.

at the back of the battery tray (back of battery above back edge of the battery tray) the elevator shows a slight down E on the tip of the spoons. did not check the CG.

Joe

Comment

• Flew my 1600mm Spitfire today after having assembled it many months ago. I put some time into the edits on this one, so I hope you enjoy

Comment

• Very good, successful, interesting and scalable with skilled maiden piloting :Cool:... Thank you for sharing Mr.CubCrazy. Wish you many successfully next flights.
                        Jos

Comment

• Originally posted by CubCrazy View Post
                          Flew my 1600mm Spitfire today after having assembled it many months ago. I put some time into the edits on this one, so I hope you enjoy

https://youtu.be/9LpsIsiGM2Y
                          Congrats on your flight nice job
                          Rich

Comment

• First of all , thanks to my friend, Steve (Elbee), who reminded me .... I now right backute a tribute to all of you, who have served your beloved country
                            The Memory Day USA ... let it live eternally :f16

Note : I apologize, but I do not know where to post( topical), and here I feel the best :Heart:

Comment

• Originally posted by MesRcPilot View Post
                              First of all , thanks to my friend, Steve (Elbee), who reminded me .... I now right backute a tribute to all of you, who have served your beloved country
                              The Memory Day USA ... let it live eternally :f16

Note : I apologize, but I do not know where to post( topical), and here I feel the best :Heart:
                              Thank you on behalf of all veteran's MesRc. It's gratefully appreciated.

Comment

• Thanks Jos!!!!!!!! You are the best Bro!!! :Cool:

Comment

• Yeah, I know you're all gonna think Ol' Grossman is full of:Poo: when I tell you this, but hey, it worked for me.
                                  I put 2, yes 2 oz of weight in the front of the Spitfire and balanced her slightly nose heavy for both the 5000's and the 4500's, the 4500's being all the way forward and the 5000's of course slight rearward.

Held my breath and took off and CRAP!!:spitfire:spitfire:spitfireshe's up and flying perfectly, no trim needed at all:Cool::Cool::Cool:
                                  So, that's fine, but what about the landing?? It's been a long time since I've landed her and NOT pushed out a gear mount but hey, today, all the stars lined up and I got not one but two flights in with great landings!!
                                  Super jacked to see her flying like the 1400 mm FMS Mustangs fly. I didn't even bury a wingtip!!
                                  :):):)Me on the way home from the field!!!

Grossman56:Goodbye:
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                    Yeah, I know you're all gonna think Ol' Grossman is full of:Poo: when I tell you this, but hey, it worked for me.
                                    I put 2, yes 2 oz of weight in the front of the Spitfire and balanced her slightly nose heavy for both the 5000's and the 4500's, the 4500's being all the way forward and the 5000's of course slight rearward.

Held my breath and took off and CRAP!!:spitfire:spitfire:spitfireshe's up and flying perfectly, no trim needed at all:Cool::Cool::Cool:
                                    So, that's fine, but what about the landing?? It's been a long time since I've landed her and NOT pushed out a gear mount but hey, today, all the stars lined up and I got not one but two flights in with great landings!!
                                    Super jacked to see her flying like the 1400 mm FMS Mustangs fly. I didn't even bury a wingtip!!
                                    :):):)Me on the way home from the field!!!

Grossman56:Goodbye:
                                    I'm with you brother! :Cool:

I fly my Spitty with 3 ounces of lead at the front of the battery compartment and fly it with the Admiral 4000 all the way forward, which gives me a balance at 95mm with the gear down (manual recommends 90mm). I also have the sound system installed and 5 coats of Spar Urethane, which affected the balance slightly requiring an extra ounce (so it was originally close to yours). I love the way it flies AND lands, like a *****cat on 2 wheels with no tipping. Flew the first 15 flights with the 5000mah Admiral, but love the way it flies with the 4000 even better and still getting 6 to 7 minutes coming in with 40%, cause I can do the same aerobatics with a lower throttle (rarely much over 50-60%). With the lighter battery, it's like a rocket (OK-exaggerated) on the vertical.
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hey Hugh, that's good to know! I had the Spitfire and the Avanti out yesterday and burned the 4500's through the jet. Got a good flight out of the Spitfire and came down with 70+ % left, so took her up again to practice touch and goes. Did three and then landed and had 42% left, can't beat that!
                                      Before, she was pitchy, like holding you hand out of a car window, but with that extra weight up there, it smoothened out. I should also have mentioned that I threw an A3 into it as well and as I had a 10 channel Lemon in it, I rigged the gyro to the knob on the radio, I'm slowly converting all the planes with gyros over to this setup.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• I actually have the AR636 with moderate gyro rates for flying (although 70-80% on take off and landing modes) and she flies "smooth as a babies bottom". Have that it all of my planes, took several years to get proficient with the programming.:Angry:
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I hear you, I've used the A3L's on most of my planes and love them. I decided to try an A3 just for the 'panic button' that locks the plane on the straight and level, I bought it for the wife when she was going to fly the Pandora. Decided it could be the way to go if I ran into any more flight problems with the Spitfire. Better to have and not use it than to need it and not have it.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X