Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was flying my Ta pretty hard today and discovered a tendency for the plane to stall during high-speed half loops. I love bringing my warbirds down the flight line at high speed , then yanking back on the elevator to Immelmann, then dive back down the flight line. Multiple times today, the Ta rebelled by falling out of the half loops. It was happening so quickly, that it took me a while to figure out that it was stalling during the high-speed, high-g half loops. I think that by easing off the elevator, the high-speed stalls will stop. I'll report back on my theory tomorrow.

[edit] There's been more discussion of this high-g high-speed stalling phenomenon over on RCG (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=753). If you're running high elevator throws (like I have been... 100% throw and 30% expo), you should be aware that your Ta could encounter stalking toward the top of loops, even when your speed is pretty high.
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

A wing can stall at any speed and angle of attack if the critical angle of attack is exceeded.

Some reading here if your interested.

Comment

Got mine ready for maiden. Actually, it's been together since the day I got it, but today I added the swastika to the tail for scale accuracy. Maiden next weekend along with the Bearcat.
        Pat

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
          A wing can stall at any speed and angle of attack if the critical angle of attack is exceeded.
          I know. I fly quite a few warbirds and I fly them pretty hard. The guys in my club often laugh at me for g-loading my pilots into unconsciousness. :-) I know that these maneuvers are not scale, but I fly them on almost all of my warbirds. None of them has experienced accelerated stalls like this Ta. I'm not saying that the Ta-152 has a design or construction problem or anything; I'm just noting that the wing shape of the Ta-152 makes it more susceptible to acceleration stalls than other planes, and it caught me off guard. That's why I brought it up.

Yesterday, I confirmed that it was experiencing accelerated stalls. In large loops, it flew exactly as expected. When I cranked in substantially more elevator, the Ta fell out of both Immelmann and split-s maneuvers. I had been running full 100% throws (and 30% expo), mostly for ground-handling help as I fly on a grass field. I've since toned my elevator throw down to 70%, but it can still cause high speed stalls if I yank it back too hard. 30% expo definitely softens the large throw and the Ta is easy to handle. I'm mostly now just aware of its tendency to stall under high-g loading and fly the plane accordingly.

---
          Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
            The guys in my club often laugh at me for g-loading my pilots into unconsciousness. :-)
            Ok, that made me chuckle.

Comment

Try belly rubbing on a low pass or scraping the vertical stab while inverted. That will get the more conservative crowd all flustered "That's not right", hahaha
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                Try belly rubbing on a low pass or scraping the vertical stab while inverted. That will get the more conservative crowd all flustered "That's not right", hahaha
                So what you're saying is, the belly antennas are no longer present on your aircraft, correct? ;)
                Pat

Comment

He don't need no stinking antennas...
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                    I added the swastika to the tail for scale accuracy.
                    A must have on Luftwaffe aircraft. Callie Graphics will hook you up!

Comment

True that. I also ordered my tail Swastikas from Callie. My warbirds fleet seems to be about 1/2 Luftwaffe; so, I went ahead and had Callie send me a few sets of tail swastikas in a couple different scales.
                      ---
                      Warbirder

Comment

I made my own using decal paper. Easy stuff I can do myself, complicated multi-color stuff gets done by Callie. :)
                        Pat

Comment

Pat, water slide decals? Do they hold up?
                          ---
                          Warbirder

Comment

True that. I also ordered my tail Swastikas from Callie.
                            What scale did you order and how did you ask for them? I'd like to add them to mine.

Comment

Pat, water slide decals? Do they hold up?
                              Yes, no problems. I have a color laser printer, and get water slide decal sheets in normal Letter size (8.5x11). Since it's laser, the decals don't need protecting after printing like they would with inkjet. However, after I apply them I use a decal setting solution to make them snuggle down to the surface and adhere better. Currently I use Walthers Solvaset.

Here's my decal file. Ignore Page 1, those are ones I made up for a friend's Hyperion Stuka.
                              Attached Files
                              Pat

Comment

He don't need no stinking antennas...
                                There's a reason why I designed the antennas on these FlightLineRC birds to be easily pulled out of their plastic sockets... convenient removable before an intentionally... "eventful" flight plan. Haha

Comment

Scale flight ...

NOT necessarily scale flight!

:p

Comment

As usual, beautiful shots...I love this plane.
                                    TiredIron Aviation
                                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Got the maiden and 2 subsequent flights in today. I used the Admiral 4S 2200, and she flew like a bat out of hell! Man, this thing should be marketed as a pylon racer! Loops and rolls were great. In fact, I was quite surprised at the roll rate considering how long the wings are. Inverted flight required a significant amount of down elevator, so I may move the pack back some to see if that helps. Overall, a great flying plane!
                                      Pat

Comment

I push the Admiral 4s 2500mAh PRO all the way back as far as it will go, and that's where I'm flying my Ta-152.

Comment

• I'm interested in racing this plane in Warbirds, Pro Racing. Its wing area minimum must be 400 Sq inches. Does anyone know the wing area?

Thanks Mike

Comment

Working...
                                          X