X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hippie 64 View Post
    BluesDragon I am glad to hear of your decision it really is the best way to go . I first bought a big Freewing At6 Texan an it sit built for 7 months . I did dust it once it week .
    Been flying four years and I still get nervous and shaky all the time .

Here is my Dynam Corsair and its fun you'll enjoy it !!!!!

Bryan
    How I remember those days Bryan, we were both on parallel courses. Along with Lon and a few others, back when Rocketeer used to be our mentor.
    Guys, we flew the CRAP out of our Pandoras, just waiting for the time when we could strap on a warbird confidently. You'll get there too!!

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

So I've had the Mini Apprentice in the air finally.. talk about a bundle of nerves! First flight was a bit iffy, but got 'er on the ground safely. Only to over throttle my taxi right into the runway fence! :Silly:

Sat down, pulled off the broken prop, glued the broken motor mount back together, put 'er all back together, mechanically trimmed a little here and there, and then put 'er back up! Second flight was just too sweet! Switched from the beginner mode to intermediate mode and flew a few more ovals and figure eights and then brought 'er back down and into the pit area in one piece this time. What a blast! Although I think I'm already better as a mechanic then a pilot so far. :)
      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

That's something we can all attest to , you become a mechanic/ repairman long before you become a pilot, one of the side benefits of this hobby.
        Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

Yes, and you definitely learn alot about how everything works together to make these birds fly well

Comment

BluesDragon

Sounds like you really had a little fun ...
            What went through your mind with the little mishap with the fence? Do you think it would have been the same, if it was the Corsair that you had to put back together?? Just a bit curious, cause it goes through my mind, every time I look at my beauty. By the way any changes to yours lately???
            Straighten Up - Fly Right

Comment

mcriley2

For me.. going from the quad's RC to the fixed wings RC is a bit different. I definitely like the 'tension' feel of the sticks with the quad's RC. I know there's RC's out there for these birds that the sticks can be 'tighter'. It's an investment I've got ear marked for more sooner then later. Basically, in a nutshell, once I got 'er on the ground, in my (over) excitement, I thumbed in a throttle burst while giving rudder on my taxi and didn't get the stick back down quick enough. I've since been up and down a few more times with much better results. Still have some work to do with my throttle thumb, but getting a little more used to it. :Cool:

You can believe the Corsair goes through my mind every time. I'm so glad I listened to everyone and got the trainer to put up first. She can take a bit of punishment and keep on going... and I never feel too bad about it. Just patch 'er up and go again. Once I'm feeling really confident on my landings then, and only then, will Whistler's Brother take flight. I'm pretty sure you would have seen a grown man cry had I been patching up the Corsair! :Silly:

As far as changes go... I assume you're asking about Whistler's Brother (the Corsair)? Funny you should ask.. My son (34) jumped the gun even further then I did and got the Sbach right off the bat (guess who I got to pay for half the Trainer) and I noticed it's cable/rod stops were much easier to set then the little plastic twisties on the ends of the Corsair's. So I had to order and replace all mine... along with rods. Which my neighbor so kindly passed over to me. They were a little thicker on the mic, but work just fine. Also changing out the landing gear with some of those nicer Robart treaded wheels. Not to mention some FMS V3 retracts on stand by. Been reading too much about how weak these stock ones are on the Dynams. The FMS Corsair's (1400mm) just about bolt right in and are more solid. Just gotta be prepared for my first landing... :)
              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

This is Whistler's Brother... there are many Corsairs like it, but this one is mine! :)

I think I've finally got him to where I'm happy. Throws all set per manual.. landing gear changed over to the FMS gear... Robart wheels and rims... and lots of love! Can't wait to get off the trainer and get him in the air!!
                Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

[QUOTE=BluesDragon;n126929]This is Whistler's Brother...

Pleasant days BD

Definately looking good there. If you're quiet enough, you just might hear him saying, " let me go up, I'll be good" ​​​:)

Comment

"For me.. going from the quad's RC to the fixed wings RC is a bit different. I definitely like the 'tension' feel of the sticks with the quad's RC. I know there's RC's out there for these birds that the sticks can be 'tighter'.. Blues Dragon

I tell you what works for me , and everyone is different , I hold my sticks between two fingers instead of with my thumb on the top . What I found was that way I only input what I want and no extra added . I raise my throttle and almost let it go , still able to grab and add rudder if I need but it keeps my from doing it by accident . Also depending on what radio you are using you can add in some " dead zone " or Expo to help keep from moving into the other functions on that stick . Expo creates a dead area around the center out on the stick . For instance if you keep your thumb on top of the throttle you won't add in some rudder as quick by accident . This can be done on both control sticks .
                    The tension you are talking about can be added so the stick require more pressure to move them . I am not sure if you can get the spring back like the quads have because flyers don't move the throttle on planes or helies like quad guys do . Someone else can probably tell you different but as far as I know you can't
                    Not sure if any of this helps sometimes I tend to ramble trying to explain something .....

Bryan
                    But Crashing is Landing

Comment

mcriley2 ... I hear him saying that every time I pass by. Just can't trust him to come back home safely yet. :Silly:

Hippie 64 ... I did purchase the DX6 and then proceeded to swap out the receiver with an Admiral DSMX compatible one. So I can put both it and the
                      Trainer on it as well. Figured it was best to learn everything with the controller with I plan to use. That's what I used to help get my throws into proper specs
                      even. So I have been learning about expo, duel rate settings, still a bit lost on the throttle curve setting, but youtube has been a great help. As well as reading
                      through the wealth of information found in these forum pages.
                      I hear ya on the pinch technique. I have been watching some of the guys down at the club field fly this way. One of them, I just noticed yesterday, actually
                      flies using both. His thro/rudd stick was typical and he used his thumb to control that side of things. Yet his ail/elev stick was over sized, 'bout twice the size
                      of his left stick, and he was pinch on that one. I think I've just been playing video games (yes, at 54 I still enjoy my XBOX!) and RC's for too many years using
                      my thumbs. I did give it a try and it just felt 'uncomfortable' to me. I did end up tightening the ratchet strap a bit on the throttle side just enough to feel it in my
                      thumb. Seems to help with my learning process.... for now.

Any and all feedback is a form of help for me... ramble on. As you can see.. I tend too, myself. :)
                      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Dude I too am 54 and a HARD CORE Battlefield fan for many years now ,PS4 .... Wife says the older my body gets the younger my brain becomes , after all the things I've done in my life I am just happy the brain even still functions ......:Not-Talking::Not-Talking:
                        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Dude I too am 54 and a HARD CORE Battlefield fan for many years now ,PS4 .... Wife says the older my body gets the younger my brain becomes , after all the things I've done in my life I am just happy the brain even still functions ......:Not-Talking::Not-Talking:
                          Brian..........got 10 years on ya and am constantly smashing zombies on Killing Floor 2 and Left for Dead 2 during these long winter months. Helps keep the chemobrain active/healthy. ;)
                          BluesDragon.............Don't get all jammed up about a correct grip on the sticks cause there is none. Go with whatever feels most natural to you.
                          An old school pattern guy tried to convert me from thumb to pinch which became an exercise in futility. :P
                          :Cool:for me LOL
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

A transmitter tray with wrist supports lifts your hands to a position where it feels more natural to use pinch the stick instead of thumb on end of stick method.

I definitely recommend using a tray or at least a neck strap. I sneezed and dropped a TX once... Its very hard to control a model when the TX breaks.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                              A transmitter tray with wrist supports lifts your hands to a position where it feels more natural to use pinch the stick instead of thumb on end of stick method.

I definitely recommend using a tray or at least a neck strap. I sneezed and dropped a TX once... Its very hard to control a model when the TX breaks.
                              I tried the tray also when doing the pinch..........that pinch method just sux for me. To each their own with what feels natural.
                              I do agree to at least using a neck strap. I've been known to let loose of the Tx with my left hand to swat them blood sucking nats off my eyes/ears and still have control with the right due to the strap.
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I can't do the pinch method either.

Comment

Interesting, I've always flown with the pinch method and no strap. To each their own I guess, the main thing is to try each method and see what works best for you. I tried the thumb only and kept losing the sticks and felt more of a connection with the plane with the radio firmly in my hands. I recall Lon losing his camo P-38 because he tried to connect his strap while in flight and accidentally shut off his radio. That can make your day!

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Yeah that's why I always have my strap ready before I do anything else. Especially when hand launching

Comment

Hey guys, I was a member of the, pinch or thumb a ride, try out club. After numerous attempts at both methods, my hands decided, thumbs works best for me ...

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                        Brian..........got 10 years on ya and am constantly smashing zombies on Killing Floor 2 and Left for Dead 2 during these long winter months. Helps keep the chemobrain active/healthy. ;)
                                        BluesDragon.............Don't get all jammed up about a correct grip on the sticks cause there is none. Go with whatever feels most natural to you.
                                        An old school pattern guy tried to convert me from thumb to pinch which became an exercise in futility. :P
                                        :Cool:for me LOL
                                        I'm a COD fanatic with the XBox. although mostly just playing Prominence Poker (hold'em) these days. Just finished Cod's WWII campaign. Only one flying mission in there and could not break away for some free flight! LOL

Yeah, OV10, I'm not. I do have that oh so cool MRC lanyard I sport down at the field. It helped to show me the pinch technique is best to use with a tray mount to hold the remote more stable. I'll just stick to what i know and work on perfecting my skills.. or at least getting a bit more precise with 'em. Once my nerves calm down, ie: my thumbs stop rattling on the sticks!, I do pretty good. :Silly:
                                        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• I gotta try that ww2 game. I bought it for my boys, but I haven't played it yet

Comment

Working...
                                          X