Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welp, got my E-flight Corsair Retract, (for my Dynam Corsair) man what a difference. The E-flight retracts are super solid compared to the Dynam retracts. Installed them last night, got them backwards at first, then had to revers them. I can seriously be the village idiot at time. Pay attention when you install them don't be me and get them on the wrong side. Never as easy as you would like. The electirical leads on the new retracts are pretty short, was necessary to cut the holes in the wing and fuselage larger to thread it through. I highly encourage you to purchase the E-flight wheel set the same time you purchase the retracts, (about 12 Dollars). The old Dynam wheels will work, but the wheel stem is longer on the E-flight retracts. If you use the Dynam wheels it just wont look as nice. When I get my new E-flight wheels I will have to do some cutting in the wheel hole as the E-flight struts are just a bit longer.
    But they look and work great, and solid very solid. On a scale of 1 - 10, Dynam,s are probably a 2.5, E-flight's probably a 7-5 or 8. They are much heaver, so you will be adding weight to the plane.

I'm starting to think you should expect to do this kind of work to do with any Dynam plane. However take this into mind. The exterior finish on my Dynam Corsair is superior to the finish on my E-flight P-47 Razer Back. Please understand I'm not knocking the E-flight product in any way. My E-flight P-47 fly's great and performs awesome. But to me, the finish is a better on the Dynam, in my opinion. So my personal observation for Dynam is they are there in regard to finish. I actually like there airframe's, it's all the other stuff you have to worry about. It would probably be a good thing to take this into consideration when purchasing one of these planes.

So with that said. I have also red about people melting there motor mounts with the Dynam stock motors. I would prefer this not happen to me if possible. Could someone recommend a good direct upgraded motor and ESC for this plane?

Best Regards
    Woody
    Last edited by Woodcock; Apr 26, 2018, 01:39 PM. Reason: Clarification in syntax

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
      Could someone recommend a good direct upgraded motor and ESC for this plane?
      Best Regards
      Woody
      This post is worthless without pics!.. j/k... but would like to see some pics with the E-flite retracts. I went with the FMS retracts from their 1400mm Corsair. Had to do a little trimming at the wheel wells, but otherwise a perfect fit. Curious on answers to your question above. That's my next process with this bird as well.
      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Sorry about the Pict's Blue. The bolt pattern was an exact fit, no mods needed. I used the stock fasteners to screw them down. I'll try to post a few picts when I'm finished. I really don't want any melty motor mounts, seriously.

Comment

• Woodcock I have been flying mine on the stock setup for at least three years and have never had a hot or melted the mounts . The only change I did was the retracts and wheels . Make sure there is ample room around the motor after the cowl is on .You may if it makes you feel better trim the plastic where the motor and the dummy radial meet . Make sure they are not scrubbing each other and you should be fine .

Bryan
          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

• That's good to know Hip. I won't worry to much about it then.

Retracts and wheels, : (. I have two Dynam planes still in the box. the B-26, and a Hellcat. Been doing a little reading, and they all seem to have landing gear issues. If the Corsair had of had two working retracts I would have tried to fly them. But one of mine was bad out of the box. So I will have to upgrade a couple of more I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hippie 64 View Post
              Woodcock I have been flying mine on the stock setup for at least three years and have never had a hot or melted the mounts . The only change I did was the retracts and wheels . Make sure there is ample room around the motor after the cowl is on .You may if it makes you feel better trim the plastic where the motor and the dummy radial meet . Make sure they are not scrubbing each other and you should be fine .

Bryan
              This is what I did. Just trimmed the dummy at the point I felt it was too close to the motor. Steadier hands may have done a nicer job with it, but still gives me a little more peace of mind.
              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                Welp, got my E-flight Corsair Retract, (for my Dynam Corsair) man what a difference. The E-flight retracts are super solid compared to the Dynam retracts. Installed them last night, got them backwards at first, then had to revers them. I can seriously be the village idiot at time. Pay attention when you install them don't be me and get them on the wrong side. Never as easy as you would like. The electirical leads on the new retracts are pretty short, was necessary to cut the holes in the wing and fuselage larger to thread it through. I highly encourage you to purchase the E-flight wheel set the same time you purchase the retracts, (about 12 Dollars). The old Dynam wheels will work, but the wheel stem is longer on the E-flight retracts. If you use the Dynam wheels it just wont look as nice. When I get my new E-flight wheels I will have to do some cutting in the wheel hole as the E-flight struts are just a bit longer.
                But they look and work great, and solid very solid. On a scale of 1 - 10, Dynam,s are probably a 2.5, E-flight's probably a 7-5 or 8. They are much heaver, so you will be adding weight to the plane.

I'm starting to think you should expect to do this kind of work to do with any Dynam plane. However take this into mind. The exterior finish on my Dynam Corsair is superior to the finish on my E-flight P-47 Razer Back. Please understand I'm not knocking the E-flight product in any way. My E-flight P-47 fly's great and performs awesome. But to me, the finish is a better on the Dynam, in my opinion. So my personal observation for Dynam is they are there in regard to finish. I actually like there airframe's, it's all the other stuff you have to worry about. It would probably be a good thing to take this into consideration when purchasing one of these planes.

So with that said. I have also red about people melting there motor mounts with the Dynam stock motors. I would prefer this not happen to me if possible. Could someone recommend a good direct upgraded motor and ESC for this plane?

Best Regards
                Woody
                Hey Woody, I just finished putting an E flite BFL 15 900 in the Corsair. I used the original motor mount from the Dynam motor and everything bolted right up. Paired with an eflite 60 amp esc ( they are kinda pricey at $84) I have had great luck with this setup and a max of 11/10 props. The nice thing is this setup works with either 3s or 4s..the 4s makes it faster than all get out and the 3s should be 3200 or above. You would have to go to a pretty small 3 blade for something close to scale look. I did put rods across the elevators to stiffen them up and am careful in turns because there isn't a spar rod in the main wing..vertical unlimited and probably close to 70 -85 mph. Also cut out the fake vent on the bottom of the cowl for cooling capacity for the ESC..I don't know how Dynam expected everything to live with zero cooling. I also drilled holes between every fake motor inside the front cowl for a little more air.

Comment

• Thanks Preston, I'm about finished with my landing gear mod, while working on it today, I noticed, (as you pretty much described) there doesn't seem to be any exit vents in the cowl. Basically no way for air to flow thru. I'm going to mod it for air thru put, and fly for a bit on the stock motor. Ya know I was actually thinking of re-enforcing the wing, but probably not just yet. Going to fly it for bit first. I changed the landing gear, but no servos. Gonna see how it last for a bit, then if it hangs in there, might upgrade the motor and ESC. Thanks for the referral and the spec. Has anyone found an ordinance package that works on these planes? No spar, I wonder who thought that was a good idea, lol. I also might fiberglass the center section of the wing if I like how it fly's.

Best Regards
                  Woody

Comment

• No problem Woody. Two issues I discovered after trying to get it dialed in yesterday. It took 35 gram of lead to get it balanced. Then the motor plate came loose. Just in case you might want to turn it upside down on the bench and load it's sides with medium CA, then silicone all the edges. I epoxied the crap out of the landing gear and am leaving them down until the eflites get here. Everything was just slightly warm after a 5 minute on 4s and a whopping 10 minutes on a 3s 4000. The air flow through the cab with only the single outlet seems to be good enough for now. Of course it's only 70 degree here..will see what it does when it's 90. Running a single master airscrew 11/7. Felt really safe and the wings didn't do a lot of wobble putting it through the paces. Plenty of speed, unlimited vertical, great corner stall recovery. The 4s might be too much for it. You can watch the wings really flex in hard corners over about 60mph. I can see ripping one off trying to snap it around...but I fly pretty hard once I get the feel for things. I will see about getting a picture or two up later.

Comment

• Preston, ya know lol, that's exactly what I would have done if I needed this plane as a flyer, is epoxy the landing gear. So i completed my LG retrofit, looks acceptable to me, and works great. Was looking at the wing in detail and evaluating the structure. I think if it breaks it will be in the area of where the retract folds back into the wing. I think this is the weak link. I originally wanted to fiber glass the center section of the wing, but this would stiffen the center part between the LG recesses and I believe put more stress in the area I'm worried about. Now I'm looking at adding a spar to go thru the strut section of the wing where the retract recess too.

Or I may just make sure when I fly, I don't over stress the wing when I'm flying. Heck they have been doing that with real airplanes for years. Ripping the wings off is always on our minds when we fly real planes. I gave $128 bucks for this thing from a bargain sale, so I have to consider this. But if it fly's well what the hek. I may in fact upgrade the motor and esc though. I like what you did.

Question, Anyone know where to get some bombs and rockets that will work on this?

Best Regards
                      Woody

Comment

• Ok . I found the weak spot in the wings when I was switching out the retracts. In the wheel well toward the servo. Mine was cracked on both sides. I am going to epoxy some carbon fiber across the bottom of the wheel well and slide it into the wing on both sides. Anyone else found this or found a fix to stiffen the wings up?

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post
                          Ok . I found the weak spot in the wings when I was switching out the retracts. In the wheel well toward the servo. Mine was cracked on both sides. I am going to epoxy some carbon fiber across the bottom of the wheel well and slide it into the wing on both sides. Anyone else found this or found a fix to stiffen the wings up?
                          Same spot I was thinking would be weak. I'm not going to use a carbon rod. Mostly because of the gull wing design. I'm planning on using fiberglass and epoxy to form fit one in the wing, (basically mold the fiberglass spar in the cutout I make in the wing). I'll post pic.s when I complete it. Might be a bit, as I'm going to fly it first. I'm kinda old school man. You can notch the wing, and form the fiberglass around the wheel well for the retract. Like I said I'll post pict.s.

Going flying in the AM. Everyone have a great weekend.

Best Regards
                          Woody

Comment

• I don't know if the subject has been addressed and I missed it, but, has anyone had issues with venting air to the electronics other than me. I couldn't figure out if enough airflow was getting in through that little space between the cowl and motor, so I did make a little alteration ...
                            Straighten Up - Fly Right

Comment

• Can you measure the dia of the dummy radial please?

Looking fr replacements for a pair of dummy radials that got cut up for glow and I'm converting the plane to electric.

Found the diameter in the comments on Motion RC's site. Too small. :(

Found the right size though. :)
                              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by mcriley2 View Post
                                I don't know if the subject has been addressed and I missed it, but, has anyone had issues with venting air to the electronics other than me. I couldn't figure out if enough airflow was getting in through that little space between the cowl and motor, so I did make a little alteration ...
                                Excellent idea there, mcriley2! I just finished popping out the holes between the dummy cylinders. Of coarse I just had to paint the cylinders afterwards. Looks decent and should allow for plenty more air flow through there. Thanks for sharing that... :Cool:
                                Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Comment

• Machine gun lights.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by uuc328 View Post
                                      Machine gun lights.
                                      Looks Awesome man! I have two of these, one still in the box.

Woody

Comment

• I purchased the Dynam Corsair this past winter. I haven't flow it yet, when I'm working its sunny, when I'm off its windy and raining....Chicago weather.....:Crying:

Callie Graphics NAS Glenview IL livery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair 1 (2).jpg
Views:	921
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	198336
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Hello all.
                                          New to the forum and just yesterday I acquired one of these beautiful machines.
                                          Always have loved Corsairs and my local hobby shop had one that was in great
                                          condition used, heck there is no signs of the tires even being used. I picked it up
                                          for about 100 bucks.
                                          I did some pre-sale research and found that most of the complaints I came across
                                          pertained to the landing gear.
                                          Mine seem to work but are kind of noisy and rachety.
                                          Would it hurt to place a light duty lube inside to make them a bit smoother?
                                          Or is this just par for the course?
                                          I did see the previous owner made a few hotter upgrades to it.
                                          The motor is a PAEP 3648 770kv with an FMS 70 Amp esc.
                                          I did a small thrust test in the basement and she wants to fly :)
                                          I'm going to do some amp tests on different props to see where I stand
                                          before an actual maiden.
                                          One last thing, is there a good resource for the color of paint for these?
                                          Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                          X