X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day Rex,
    I have been to the Toowoomba field before with Rob Knox and managed to put my Navy Drone Control T-28 into the deck while I was landing. Totally my fault on the machines second only flight and I slowed her up too much. There was not much damage and she was ready to fly again the next weekend but I had no spares with me on the day.
    I have threatened Knoxie that I will be back!!!
    At this stage I will be going to the warbirds day at Tingalpa on the 13th March. It depends on the manager director [Johnathan] if I can go when it gets closer.
    The red tail will be in the van and I might pump all three Mustangs in for the trip.
    I flew the red tail at the same event last year. The good part is it is a neat three hour trip now from my front door to the field and not one traffic light.
    The funny thing is I only seem to attend the Queensland shows. Go figure!
    I like flying at Tingalpa even if it seems to be tight it is quite deceiving to just how much room there is.
    And if you tire or the models there are the full size aircraft going into or out of Brisbane international to watch.
    I am always amazed that my fellow club members have not purchased more FMS products especially the Mustang as everyone makes comment on well they fly and how nice they look.
    Regards and respect
    Daryl

Blues all the way, Shirty.:D:D:D

Comment

• for those who need to know...a gof is a [take your pick]
      1. God of flying
      2. Guru of flying

Every club has one and they are responsible for the destruction of more model airplanes than the rest of the club put together. But for some reason that completely baffles me, this person gets a following of disciples who hang off every word of misinformation that the gof speaks.:dodgy:
      Model companies love them as it keeps them in business.
      Their models usually look they have been through a cement mixer and yet some one with a pristine model with hundreds of flights on board is ignored.:rolleyes:
      I do not why I am upset about them tonight as ours was not at the field today and not model went down. Coincidence? I think not.

I can assure all here of one thing, the information that I give IS what I do to my machines.

Regards and respect
      Daryl

OK I am over it now:D

Comment

• Originally posted by wrongroad View Post
        G'day Konrad,
        Yeah, I hear you on the factors involved and if it was just the one unit I would agree with you on the the heavy wing [not saying that I do not agree either:D]. I have three Mustangs and they pretty much handle the same in a loop.
        The roll out is mostly at the top of the loop as I power off over the top of a loop while keeping the aerodynamic loads of the loop.
        My other FMS birds with the elevators actuated on both sides do not have the same issue.
        Most of the P-51 boys who have stiffened the link have reported that the problem goes away once the two sides fly equal.
        I have not done this as I can control the tail via the rudder and I like doing it that way. I do not use any mixes as I like to do all the work.
        The first time it happened, I had no idea and thought that I had simply not carried enough speed and had stalled out.
        I have also wondered if I happen to impart a slight roll by not pulling directly back on the stick and causing some aileron deflection. I am well prepared to admit to that if I can prove that fact.
        I managed five good flights today even though the wind was up around 20 / 30 km/h for most of the day.
        One landing into the south, I was laying off about thirty degrees just to keep a straight approach into the runway.
        The wind managed to come from all points of the compass with one take off into the north and the landing of that flight into the south. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the wind can completely switch direction and then switch back again.

Hey Shirty, The GOF was not flying today and none of the followers showed up either. The strange part was no one crashed a model today. I rest my case m'lord.:)

Regards and respect
        Daryl
        Not saying it's not the coupler.;) Just by what was stated I'd look elsewhere. As shown in the trim chart there are a lot of interactions. So without having flown the models in the diagnostic pursuit for perfect trim, I can't say with any certainty what the issue is/are. If there is history that a stiffer coupler cured the roll who am I to argue.

All the best,
        Konrad

Comment

• Originally posted by wrongroad View Post
          At this stage I will be going to the warbirds day at Tingalpa on the 13th March. It depends on the manager director [Johnathan] if I can go when it gets closer.
          The red tail will be in the van and I might pump all three Mustangs in for the trip.
          I flew the red tail at the same event last year. The good part is it is a neat three hour trip now from my front door to the field and not one traffic light.
          The funny thing is I only seem to attend the Queensland shows. Go figure!
          I like flying at Tingalpa even if it seems to be tight it is quite deceiving to just how much room there is.
          I'm committed to the Dalby Heli fun fly that weekend :), would love to fly my 51 at Tingalpa, nice place, good surface, went to a heli day there last year, the sun in your face was a bit much, made it hard to see the model:(, warbirds at TAA last year was good
          Mike
          PS i think an old heli mate Gazza (ex Rebel) flys with you guy's please say hi :shy:
          RED NOSE FMS P51D V8, Mr RC Sound Card :shy:
          Lots of Helicopters :p

Comment

• G'day Konrad.
            I would be a foolish man to discount any advice given to me with out taking on board. I would like to think that I am not foolish....very dumb sometimes but not foolish:D
            I will try and get a day at the field with just myself and one other pilot and really do some testing on all the theories and equations to come up with the best possible outcome. Having three machines that handle mostly the same as each other, gives me the chance to try some thing and do back to back tests. Trouble is finding the time and, well, the machines do most of the things right as it stands but I would like to know.
            My club flies off two different fields each alternative Sunday so I just might get to be sneaky and go to the number one field when everyone else is down at the number two field.
            Our number one field is our every day field and number two is club members only and only after you have proven yourself to be reasonable to the owner. It is a private set up. You have to be almost an :angel: to get to fly there. Not sure how I made the grade:rolleyes:

G'day Rex,
            We do not see too much of the heli boys as they tend to do their thing about twenty kilometres away from us and just join the club so they do not have any paper work to do.:cool: I think it is a smart move on their behalf.
            We would like then to come along as our main field has acres and acres [350] of room to fly in and we did make them an area for them to fly in but it has been used once, going on two and a half years. It might need mowing again now;)
            We have enough room to set up drone racing if they wish and a completely separate flying area for the choppers but, you can lead a horse to water...............
            More is the pity as it would really make for a great day every day.
            I agree with you about Tingalpa with the east west runway and standing on the south side. For all our OS people, Tingalpa is a top quality field in Brisbane but in our neck of the woods, the sun is always in the Northern aspect of the sky. So at Tingalpa you are always looking towards the sun during the majority of the day. You just need good quality sun glasses and a good wide brim cricket hat.
            I might be able to swing the ANZAC day do. Depends on work and just when I start my new position. Spinning my wheels a bit on that one.
            I think three Mustangs would look good sitting side by side. After all the BBD that crashed in England in 2011, was actually made here in Australia as one of the two hundred and fifty made at Fishermans Bend. Obviously it had several owners and was owned by a German syndicate when it went down.
            I think there were seven BBD's flying at one point around the world.
            My BBD has been resting and I will install a new 650 kv donk in her as soon as it get here...that means I better order the thing.
            Regards and respect
            Daryl

Comment

• Originally posted by heliboy View Post
              hello guys, i have a quick question. I have the BBD V8 mustang, and the other day i came in for a landing and the wheel assembly came off. Apparently there is suppose to be a set screw in there to keep it from coming apart and i had no clue.....any tips?
              You mean like this?
              Yep, the little c clips are not the greatest, got some replacements from Ace Hardware and installed them, this time, I put some foam tack on them to hold them in place.
              Did the same with Shangrila and the P40.

Hope this helps, its a PITA when it happens, so don't let it happen twice!!

Grossman56

Team Gross!

Comment

• G'day gang,
                It is well worth your time to check the C clips on a regular basis. In fact make it part of your DI's.
                As you would be well aware, the quality of some of the fittings sourced by FMS can be a factor not under their control.
                When you check the C clips, they should be able to turn [spin] on the axle but not wobble or move 'in and out'. This happens from time to time when the C clip is stretched when being installed or, as we often do, when using a screw driver to get them off the axle.
                If my boss at Massey Ferguson caught you pulling a C or E clip off using a screw driver, you were in trouble. Apparently the levering action can distort the clip. Push them off from the open end and you will have much better results.
                When removing or refitting a clip, it is wise to place the whole part in a clear plastic bag. That way if the clip does fly off, it will not hit you in the eye and you can find it in the bag.
                Who knows the sound of a fly a way C clip:rolleyes:.
                Me!

Regards and respect
                Daryl

Comment

• Boys check out Brent's and Tony's flights on the p38 thread. This bird looks really nice.... :)

Comment

• Sorry for the absence, been busy packing and moving. You dont realize how much RC bits and pieces you have till ya have to pack it all up. Most of the moving is done, now its unpacking and organizing time. Shirty I am with you on that sweet P-38, it will look nice with our Stangs.
                    When your replacing or changing C-Clips, get a kitchen trash bag or plastic shopping bag and do your work inside it like wrongroad said. That way when the clip goes flying it stays in the bag. Or get a really good Magnet and a magnifier.... DJ
                    Last edited by olwarbirds; Feb 16, 2016, 04:31 PM. Reason: didnt read enough
                    FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                    DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                    Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                    J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

• And trust us... The clip WILL go flying. ;)

Comment

• AND..you will never find it!:@
                        It will go like a ricochet .....ping ....ping...whine....land.
                        I had one go in the garage one day. I swept the floor, I even vacuumed the floor. That C clip went to C clip heaven:angel:.
                        I should be out flying this afternoon. All is calm and all is bright. Trouble is I can not find a volunteer to come out.
                        We have a two person rule that is a CASA [Civil Aviation Safety Authority] requirement as we are inside the 3Nm limit of the local airport. We must have a person to monitor the scanner and keep a look out for those who 'forget' to radio their position, while one is flying. We are often called up by club name and informed that an aircraft is lurking around. Most are way away from us but the odd flight will come directly over our field if making a right hand circuit to land. An air Ambulance flight did that last Sunday and he thanked us for landing and watching for him.
                        Looking forward to the weekend. Eight batteries all ready to go, field charge two and I should notch up ten more flights on the Duchess.
                        Regards and respect
                        Daryl

Comment

• Lucky bugger. First day in weeks the clubs not closed due to fire risk and it's blowing 30-40km/hr winds. Just my luck, I'm all charged up and nowhere to go lol. I think those c clips go to the same place that my socks do in the washing machine... ;)

Comment

• Guys, I am still working on the first page links and such. If yall could pls post a list of your pre-flight checks and what maintenance you do. I will add a compiled list to page 1, so there will be an easy source to refer the new guys too...tks.... DJ

Comment

• Turn radio on, chuck battery in, go! ;) lol I'm notorious for not doing my preflights but,

1. Visually inspect the model. (Check your landing gear, check the motor mount and props are secure, check your flight surfaces, servo connections etc)
                              2. Turn radio on and power up the model. (Check your flight surfaces all work in the correct directions, run your landing gear a couple of times, check the motor has power)
                              3. Range check
                              4. Go have some fun flying.

Maintenance:

Starting at the front,

1. Remove props and spinner, check motor mounts, spinner, props for wear etc.
                              2. Check all screws and nuts, connectors etc you can find, on the whole plane. Cleavis connections, everything you can get your hands on. This includes removing the retracts to check the grub screws etc underneath if necessary.
                              3. Lubricate retract pinions.

That's about all I do. Hope it helps. :)

Comment

• Tks shirty. I had forgot about lubricating the pinions on my list.

Comment

• For FMS 1450 V8 P51 I also cycle the the landing gear at least 3 times as part of my preflight.
                                  Also in addition to Shirty's list, check battery voltage before flight.

Comment

• Spot on vince, sorry I forgot to add to the list. One thing I never forget to do is check my battery voltage before I put it in the model for flying. After losing a nice balsa 3D plane early on in my RC career due to me putting in a discharged battery, (yes, it's a career...;)), I'm almost ocd about checking the voltage both before, and after each flight. Very important step, can wreck your whole day if you don't do this. :)

Comment

• Definitely check your LG. FMS birds seem to have irregular retracts. My P51B is the most temperamental. Since I changed out the plastic retract sides for the metal ones, its been a lot better. Check your push rods and your prop blades, I've had the little screws back off on those when they're just freshly installed. Yeah, a charged battery is a great idea, after my radio, my battery checker is the most used tool for me at the field. I've had cases where everything checks out on the ground, take her up, fly around, lower the gear for landing, do a fly pass to check everything out, one wheel down!!!
                                      Retract the gear again, the deploy, and down they come. Weird, I know, but that's part of their charm I guess. Just a little reminder of who is really in charge and how fast they can ruin your day.

Oh, and for Gods sake check your trim settings. I took off once and went to trim the nose on BBD as she was a little heavy, only to find that it was almost full throw on the trim already. Got her down okay, but that could really make your day as well.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• [QUOTE=wrongroad;n30872]G'day Konrad,
                                        Yeah, I hear you on the factors involved and if it was just the one unit I would agree with you on the the heavy wing [not saying that I do not agree either:D]. I have three Mustangs and they pretty much handle the same in a loop.
                                        The roll out is mostly at the top of the loop as I power off over the top of a loop while keeping the aerodynamic loads of the loop.
                                        My other FMS birds with the elevators actuated on both sides do not have the same issue.
                                        Most of the P-51 boys who have stiffened the link have reported that the problem goes away once the two sides fly equal.
                                        I have not done this as I can control the tail via the rudder and I like doing it that way. I do not use any mixes as I like to do all the work.
                                        The first time it happened, I had no idea and thought that I had simply not carried enough speed and had stalled out.
                                        I have also wondered if I happen to impart a slight roll by not pulling directly back on the stick and causing some aileron deflection. I am well prepared to admit to that if I can prove that fact.
                                        I managed five good flights today even though the wind was up around 20 / 30 km/h for most of the day.
                                        One landing into the south, I was laying off about thirty degrees just to keep a straight approach into the runway.
                                        The wind managed to come from all points of the compass with one take off into the north and the landing of that flight into the south. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the wind can completely switch direction and then switch back again.

Hey Shirty, The GOF was not flying today and none of the followers showed up either. The strange part was no one crashed a model today. I rest my case m'lord.:)

Regards and respect
                                        Daryl[/QUOTE

I noticed when setting up my first fms 1450 redtail which I got a month ago that the elevators did not move equally. The link between both elevator halves is a weak member and actually twists/torques. Its a design .flaw for this plastic part which could have been designed quite easily to be stiffer and still eject from the plastic mold die. Since I already glued the elevator and tail to the body it would have been difficult to reinforce/stiffen this link. I then decided to make my elevator actuated from both sides. Adding the 2nd horn on the elevator is easy with a little mod to recess the horn into the foam so they both look the same. I then used a metal rod of about the same OD as the tube I was going to use as a bushing for the extra push rod to create a path into the foam to get into the main section of the body where the servos are. This tube I glued into the body. ​I also turned the elevator horn on the servo 180 deg so its push rod would have a straighter travel to the original right elevator horn. I also changed this push rod to a slightly bigger diameter which stiffened it eliminating is excessive flexing. Next I hooked the original push rod to the new elevator horn and secured it to the push rod going to the right elevator using a dubro dura-collar with setscrew. This locked both push rods together. You will have to shorten the thinner push rod to not hit the servo E-Z connector.
                                        Trex 500pro dfc iKon telemetry, Trex 550L Dominator iKon with T1000 telemetry
                                        Red Bull 130x, Blade Nano QX, 250 quad Naze32, Apprentice S 15e RTF, FMS P51D v8 1450mm Mustang

Comment

• TKS guys :D ... I will add all to list... welcome to the hangar bobbie j ...can you add a 2nd servo for the elevator ,,,, DJ

Comment

Working...
                                          X