X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: ALL FMS 1450mm P-51's V8 + others

I found the Varathane didn't take as many coats.  I put new wings on my F/W Mustang and one coat of Varathane covered as well as 4 coats of Mnwax, plus the Varathane has a UV protectant in it as well

Grossman56
    Attached Files
    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by olwarbirds
      I need some pics of how to do the zip tie mod pls and any other mods too...tks... DJ
      I followed this. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QksnbavFSwg
      Learning to fly........FAST!!

Comment

I need some pics of how to do the zip tie mod pls and any other mods too...tks... DJ
        Here's the link with the zip tie mod:
        http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1897029
        Just be careful not to over tighten the blade screws after you insert the zip tie. It will compress the zip tie but worse, it'll strip out the little plastic ridge on the blade holder.
        You already know about using the Olympus motor. You need the bigger X mount and also to ream out a little foam so the X mount "wings" will go in. The holes are the same.

Comment

I know a lot of pilots jumped ship over here from the fascist RCG so I wanted to make sure this was seen here as well.

We have the possibility of getting some CNC aluminum retract trunnions made for this P51. Please visit this thread for more info and to add your name to the list!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2492196

Comment

Cheers dj. Viper and cobra have some good ones of the zip tie mod, and if you need it I can email you or something the pics I did of the 4258-550kv conversion in my mustangs. :)

Comment

Shirty, tks brother. Pls go ahead and post them on here. I have been busy all day trying to get all the mod info put into the start of this thread. Its amazing how much you guys have done and it is appreciated by us for sure.
              I'm waiting on my Tax refund so I can order both B & D versions plus the P-40 & P-38.
              FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
              DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
              Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
              J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

I don't have any pics but if you remove the blade and slip a piece of zip tie under the leading, thick side of the back of the blade, when you clamp it down with the screws again, the pitch is increased, very simple. 
                however, if you are going to change up the motor and ESC, its better not to do the mod.  Picture having a high performance motor in your car and being stuck in third gear.  That's why variable pitch props were invented in the first place.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Shirty,
                  Welcome to  Hobby Squawk. Un-like that degenerate site known as RCG, the guys here at MotionRC are consistent and even handed in their moderation. So much so that they even allow less than glowing comments about the products they sell. They respect our opinions and encourage honest discourse of products, their and others. It really is a pleasure working with these guys on this forum.

As a banned member myself of RCG allow me to say stick to your convictions and don't change a thing over at RCG unless the management also changes their practice and give clear concise guidelines. The management of RCG is not comfortable with the basic idea as to what makes us human. They are only concerned for their ad base. And to that end they are not very sure what the function is of user generated content, or how to encourage its meaningful dialogue with those that are apposed to their view of the world and market place. As you have learned RCG  is now and has been far to arbitrary in enforcing and justifying their posting policies and criteria for banning.

Stay strong and proud give RCG the shove off, they just aren't worth your time and skills. That is wholly different from the membership of RCG, they the wiser ones are also here at Hobby Squawk. With the RCG banning of content providers it won't be long before the management of MotionRC will learn that RCG just isn't worth the advertising budget dollars. As all the content (eyes that the advertisers so desire) will be here at Hobby Squawk.

All the best,
                  Konrad
                  [hr]
                  Originally posted by Shirty
                  Hello everyone, just joined the new forum from RCG also.

Firstly,
                  My name is shirty. I am a trouble maker and I like bikinis. ;)
                  Now please I don't want to see any posted picture of you in one!;)

All the best,
                  Konrad

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
                    I don't have any pics but if you remove the blade and slip a piece of zip tie under the leading, thick side of the back of the blade, when you clamp it down with the screws again, the pitch is increased, very simple. 
                    however, if you are going to change up the motor and ESC, its better not to do the mod.  Picture having a high performance motor in your car and being stuck in third gear.  That's why variable pitch props were invented in the first place.

Grossman56
                    OK, I just took a pic, but used a bit of Teflon coated wire for clarity. BTW, I used bronze solid wire from the hardware store, to get a more controlled pitch increase.

Comment

Is there enough purchase with the wire to keep the plastic (back plate and prop mount) form deforming from the cyclical loads? Has anybody used tooling epoxy to give a more stable platform for the blades to bolt against?

All the best,
                      Konrad

Comment

Ps: love the idea of an all fms 1400 thread. Well done. There are many many things that relates across the entire range, and be easier to search for in once place, rather than many. Nice one.
                        [hr]
                        Shirty, tks brother. Pls go ahead and post them on here. I have been busy all day trying to get all the mod info put into the start of this thread. Its amazing how much you guys have done and it is appreciated by us for sure.
                        I'm waiting on my Tax refund so I can order both B & D versions plus the P-40 & P-38.
                        No worries I'll get it done over the next few days. Cobra has a good one on the 4258 conversion as well, I'll try and hit him up.

Awesome on the future purchases, congrats mate. They do have a few quirks, but once you get the necessary info about checking your retracts etc etc etc, they really are very good birds to fly, and a hell of a lot of fun. I hadn't been flying since the RCG disaster, went to my club this week for the first time since early December and of course, both my blue nose mustangs are with me and get my first few flights in on them.

Wait.... You do know the blue nosers fly the best out of all the fms 1400 mustangs yeah? ;-P

Comment

wintrsol, tks, I like using the wire versus the zip tie. I can see where it would be more uniform and less likely to deform. I personally would also change out the stock phillips screws for some M3x20mm Socket Head Cap Screws.
                          Konrad, yes it does. I have not seen anyone use the epoxy yet, but someone in the past did make a wedge that made it more uniform etc..
                          shirty, tks brother....ok bluenose, rednose, brownose all politics :) I know moonie is going to blast me for this one :p

Comment

[hr]
                            Originally posted by Shirty
                            Hello everyone, just joined the new forum from RCG also.

Firstly,
                            My name is shirty. I am a trouble maker and I like bikinis. ;)
                            Now please I don't want to see any posted picture of you in one!;)

All the best,
                            Konrad
                            [/quote]

Lol cheers mate. Trust me, if it was a picture of me in a bikini, I'd also sign the petition to have me banned... ;)

Appreciate the comments cheers. RCG is the least of my worries over this whole thing though. If I'd known how upset my gf was going to be about some old bloke at RCG saying she was being "sexually suggestive" for simply wearing a bikini and a Santa hat to the beach on Xmas day - I'd never have posted it lol. She's outraged about the "sexism" comment. I'm very careful not to mention RCG around her lately... :D

I'm gob smacked for all the support though. All I can say is wow.... Thank you everyone. It's amazing, and very humbling. For 4 years I never had an issue there, thought I was a good contributor who stayed mainly positive, tried to help where I could, started a couple of successful threads, (I even put up a sign on our club notice board about RCG and a club thread I had started - I fly at the state association here, we have over 300 hundred financial members), and that I shared some decent RC videos that I enjoy making, and most people seem to like. So when RCG jumped all over me for posting a bikini photo, even though it's worded as OK in their own published rules and I'd seen many others before on the 3dhs threads etc, was a bit of a surprise. That my protest led to them simply banning me totally, without word of an explanation, answer to any of my questions, or of the double standards - was a little mind blowing if I'm honest, coming from my corporate sales and marketing background. I expected a professional thought out response given RCGS apparent size and popularity. The fact they didn't respond at all and just banned me from asking further questions, told me a lot about their business.

But anyway, let's leave that for there and not clog this thread or forum about it. Just want to say thanks to everyone. For once, im speechless. ;-)
                            [hr]
                            wintrsol, tks, I like using the wire versus the zip tie. I can see where it would be more uniform and less likely to deform. I personally would also change out the stock phillips screws for some M3x20mm Socket Head Cap Screws.
                            Konrad, yes it does. I have not seen anyone use the epoxy yet, but someone in the past did make a wedge that made it more uniform etc..
                            shirty, tks brother....ok bluenose, rednose, brownose all politics  :)  I know moonie is going to blast me for this one :p
                            Just on that mate, what you suggest is a great idea and well worthwhile, (and I like things that are over engineered), but a fair few of us have been flying the mustangs on a mixture of 5s and 6s with the stock prop and spinner hub for well over a year now and on 6s, we are pulling over 9000rpm. I literally have hundreds of flights, and not a single issue yet. There were a couple of spinner back plates that cracked, one prop explosion I know of, but it was a small percentage of the people who fly the 4258-550.

Just trying to say the mods you suggest are a great idea and I do think worthwhile, but so far I've found even on 6s, that the stock gear hold up pretty well - and on 4s with the zip tie mod, there really shouldn't be an issue with the props and spinner hub. But regular pre flight checking is the go with these for a long relationship with one. :)

Post some pics if you can of the mod with wire, curious to see it. :)

Comment

Originally posted by RCWASP
                              Great thread Olwarbirds! I have the P-40 motor coming for my P-51B DD (which is still a work in progress) and looking forward to testing it out!
                              Good to see you boys here! Let's hope Shirty signs up soon too. ;)
                              [hr]
                              Valathane sounds very similar to Carbothane which is what I use. I've heard Minwax can yellow slightly with age? (which it says it doesn't).
                              Looking forward to your results on that motor, its what I am planning on using so I can stick to 4S and still get a decent performance. When I seen you mention Carbothane, it sounded familiar to me and for a good reason, its used in the medical field for implants,cathoters and coloring. I work at the VA hospital so thats where I am familiar with it. I personally have never had minwax yellow, but have seen numerous reports of it doing so. Both the varathane and the carbothane have uv protectants. The carbothane is nice in that you can get color pigments for it. I am searching a source for it and will ad it to the links...nice find brother
                              [hr]
                              Shirty, after reading about you and my bud cobra doing the 5-6S mod and still using the stock 4blade prop and hub. I was curious as to why you guys hadnt upgraded props and spinners. I have been doing alot of searching and there is a terrible lack of proper size at a reasonable price 4 blades to use. I have found some nice spinners and I will continue to search for a good prop. I do have a habit of over engineering at times, I have had my fair share of dangerous failures that could of hurt me alot worse than they did. One of things I really do like is the sound of that 4blade on 5-6S doing a flyby....

Comment

Hey, this is my Maiden post...

Shirty your Merry Xmas GF Bikini post put a smile on my face and a little jealousy in my heart.

I have to wait till near end of Feb. to go to Mexico for a little Sun for a winter break.

You sir get to live in the Paradise in the Sun.

Looking forward to sharing info with all.

Comment

Cheers ace. Good to see ya mate. :)

Yeah, there's definately very few options on a four blade, unless of course you don't mind spending the Bucks. There's 3 or 4 good brands, Biela etc, but I went with a ramosser vario prop I've set at 15x10 for the 4 blade on the 63inch p47 seagull balsa. Cobra does his on a 2 blade I think, using the prop the 550 was made for from the Olympus, (which for pure flight fun and a lot better performance, not to mention longevity, is probably a much better option), but apparently I like the scale look too much that I'd rather Guinea pig it into the ground than run a two blade and be safe lol.

I've heard the Freewing one is an option and is a little better made and stronger, and can be made to fit this one with very little hassle, but I haven't tried it, all my freewing birds are jets. :)

Comment

shirty, tks brother....ok bluenose, rednose, brownose all politics :) I know moonie is going to blast me for this one :p
                                    That was my point, to fill the void (wedge) between the blade mount and back plate with a resin (epoxy). In my engineering circles it is considered a bad practice to clamp members like these with a void between them. And with the dynamic loads of a prop this practice would be thought of as dangerous. Using epoxy as a filler (not an adhesive) should bring the blade mounting system dynamics back to those of the original configuration.

All the best,
                                    Konrad

Comment

Hey Ace, welcome to HS...look forward to your inputs and I too feel the need for some sun....

I was planning on using the ramoser 4 blade vario prop. It is a bit pricey, but once you have the hub the props are not that bad. I have used Biela carbon props in the past on big gassers, was not aware they made 4 blade props, but that would be a very expensive option. I am looking into what it takes to use the Freewing prop...tks... DJ

Comment

shirty, tks brother....ok bluenose, rednose, brownose all politics  :)  I know moonie is going to blast me for this one :p
                                        I put this info on the RCG forum, but will re-state it here for any that missed it. I did some calculations and tests, and determined the following:
                                        Stock, the prop pitch is about 8" (at least, that's what the adds say). Starting from that, I measured the actual OD of the various wires I have, and calculated the new pitch:
                                        28AWG changes the pitch to 9"
                                        26AWG is 9.2"
                                        24AWG is 9.4"
                                        22AWG is 9.75"

With a freshly charged 4S 4Ah battery, I tested the 28AWG mod to yield a static power increase of about 5% at about 62A peak, while the 22AWG mod was close to 70A, or about 1000W. In flight, my CC ESC recorded 74A peak, and 1080W peak input. The model has lots of take-off power, and high-speed passes are cool with the 22AWG modified prop, with the ESC recorded max rpm of about 6500, giving a pitch speed of about 60mph; fast enough for my old reflexes.

With the gold motor, you can run 5S and 6S, but don't do an extended static power test with those batteries, as the motor isn't cooled well enough on the bench. With the extra heat, the magnets can loosen on some motors, and the bearings can fail. There are some pretty dramatic motor failures in a motor test thread on RCG, using different batteries with stock and increased pitch props; bottom line was, don't go to a higher Voltage with a modified prop.

Comment

G'day gang,
                                          I promise to keep shirty in line!!
                                          I have the BBD that has been upgraded to V8 standard and fitted with the 580kv motor.
                                          My Shangri La has the same treatment. My Duchess Arlene was a V8 to start with but came fitted with the 580kv motor out of the box.
                                          Both the BBD and SL have over one hundred flights each and DA has sixty four flights on her as of last Sunday. We were going to fly today for Australia Day but it is pouring rain rain here and that kind of put a dampener on that plan.
                                          I have also had bronze phosphorous bushed made for axle bearings as the e clips will slowly cut their way through the plastic wheel. So keep an eye on that as you go, gentlemen.
                                          The bushes also make the models roll better and as I fly off grass only, this becomes a huge advantage.
                                          I have not done the prop mod and I fly with 3300mAh batteries. I will be fitting the 650kv donk when money allows. [my rcg mates know about my baby boy who is already six weeks old and going really well].
                                          I have replaced the radio battery boxes with balsa and covered the turtle deck with .9mm balsa as well. This eliminates the gatoring effect of the good old Australian sun.
                                          I hope to put a bit into this site and, as always, will treat people with respect.

Regards and respect
                                          Daryl

Comment

Working...
                                          X