Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: ALL FMS 1450mm P-51's V8 + others

Originally posted by Shirty
    Hey g'day zip, good to see you here mate. :)

I think the no bikini/suggestive nose art rule they are going to bring in at RCG is going to blow it for me there mate. Think I'll do most of my stuff here. Imagine a new, very popular plane comes out and the nose art is a girl in a bikini or deemed "suggestive" as they say. Most are based on true historical reference, and even the fms DD would break this standard. What's the thread gonna be like if you can never post a pic or a video about it? I like making RC vids, so I think all of my new vids I'll just post here.  Not worth the ... I'll go through, just for posting something like the DD vid above.  Sorry off topic post. I'll be mainly here zip I think. :)
    Hey Shirty!

Glad to see that you are around... I was wondering who I could use to pick at their brains when I got into trouble again  :P

Since the rule is for "no bikini/suggestive nose art"... May I suggest this one? It is obviously NOT suggestive  :D

Anyhow... Just as an fyi... I will be moving here primarily. The "other site" has deemed it inappropriate to post so many links to a thread in support for a good cause.

p.s. I know this is not a P-51, but just to illustrate my point...

Regards,

Airzipper
    Regards,

Airzipper

Comment

Originally posted by Airzipper
      Hello Everyone,

I am Airzipper. I did a motor swap on my Red Tail. Put the new 650kV motor in with an APC 14x12 2-blade. This thing is solid on 4S. I previously had an E-Flite P52 590kV, running on 4S, with the same 14x12x2, and is was flying well. Now it has very good speed, but better vertical performance. With a 4S 5000mAh 30C pack, I get 8 minutes of mixed flying, at mostly 60% throttle throughout the flight.

Regards,

Airzipper
      Are you talking about the one that's in the new P-40B? I've always been curious how that would work in the 1450mm P-51.

PS. I'm done at RCG. Their recent behavior, along with all the RCG fanboys are unforgivable.

Comment

Then there that little red Hell's Angel on the ROC Hobbies and FMS P-40B Flying Tigers models. The management at RCG is not comfortable with their sexuality (hiding behind "Family Values", how do they think families start!), yet they are fine with death and destruction implied with bomb drops. Really their moral compass is way out of adjustment!

Glad to see so many coming away from that degenerate site.

All the best,
        Konrad

Comment

Tell us how you really feel mate. Lol, just joking buddy. :)

Where are you Konrad? I ask because of the Qantas plane in your avatar.

Comment

You know!
            I too was banned after giving years of unpaid editorial content to the information highway, that was to be the internet by RCG, as a result of the very issues you had. That was poorly thought out policies and irrational implementation of those policies. I demanded that if RCG wanted to change the behavior of the membership that they state it in the posting guidelines. As I use my name as my account name asking me to be less than honest is a reflection on my character. I will not soil that for RCG!

I'm so happy to have found Hobby Squawk. Even though they are a "Vendor" forum site they are very focused on allowing the truth to prevail, be it less than glowing of their products or over enthusiastic of their products. They know there really is more than one truth. This kind of understanding is lacking in the intellect found in the management of RCG.

And to all the new guys, WELCOME!

All the best,
            Konrad
            [hr]
            Originally posted by Shirty
            Tell us how you really feel mate. Lol, just joking buddy. :)

Where are you Konrad? I ask because of the Qantas plane in your avatar.
            San Francisco California, USA
            BTW That is an old Robbe kit with 4 bladed impellers, brushed motors and 20@ 2,000mAh round cells. It flew like a 2 meter glider, great climb rate just not much speed! Heck it's a model of a transport. I choose the Waltzing Matilda because she is so impressive yet easy to duplicate on the tail.

All the best,
            Konrad

Comment

It's a kit? Nice photo lol, I thought it was a real one. Great plane, that must be a hoot to fly. (And, shows you have good taste in putting the kangaroo on the tail...) ;)

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by xviper
                  Hello Everyone,

I am Airzipper. I did a motor swap on my Red Tail. Put the new 650kV motor in with an APC 14x12 2-blade. This thing is solid on 4S. I previously had an E-Flite P52 590kV, running on 4S, with the same 14x12x2, and is was flying well. Now it has very good speed, but better vertical performance. With a 4S 5000mAh 30C pack, I get 8 minutes of mixed flying, at mostly 60% throttle throughout the flight.

Regards,

Airzipper
                  Are you talking about the one that's in the new P-40B?  I've always been curious how that would work in the 1450mm P-51.

PS.  I'm done at RCG.  Their recent behavior, along with all the RCG fanboys are unforgivable.
                  Hello Xviper,

Yes, this is the same motor found on the FMS P-40. I had an unfortunate accident, but the electronics survived. I was very happy with the E-Flite p52 motor, but it lacked some climb authority and speed. Being that I run it on 4S, anything below 630kV will "feel" (or "appear to be") lacking in performance. With the 650kV motor on 4S, I found it to be "just right". Very stable in the air, and with ease of climb on a vertical (though not unlimited). I have not tried it with the stock prop. That will be next...

As for the events on the "other site"... I have firmly believed that there are two things that a person takes to his/her grave:

1. The quality of person they were
                  2. The quality of life they lived

To me, what occurred over there was in complete opposition of my beliefs. Furthermore, when the "powers at be" demonstrated hostility towards an action to defend what was right (IMO), I had enough :@ ...

That is all that I will say.

Regards,

Airzipper
                  Regards,

Airzipper

Comment

Glad you guys are here, I have a great respect for my brothers downunder. Spent alot of yrs there on and off during my military time. Shirty I have not had much experience at all with the 1400mm FMS Planes. Just a quick rundown, I been flying rc for 50 yrs. Worked in the RC industry on an off since the late 80's. I am very experienced and do have an electronics background, But I dont claim to know it all and I am always ready to learn something new or even re-learn ! I had left RCG for around 5yrs for the same type of BS (trolls) and just recently came back and like you I will be spending my time and efforts to help anyway I can to make this site better. I do respect you guys inputs and look forward to the fun we will have giving each other a bit of a jab in the ribs.
                    Zipper I dont see anything wrong with that noseart and it really pisses me off that RCG is going back and deleting the History that I put my life on the line for and the freedom of being able to do so. We wont have those probs here, I have already spoken with others and as long as we are not being vulgar there wont be a problem. Being off topic to make the point of why this site is going to be awesome and is already great is fine with me.
                    I am very interested in a vid of that new 650kv in action even if it isnt on a P-51, after all this is suppose to be learning about new products and other ways of doing things....tks for your support guys it means alot to me and too motion also.... DJ
                    FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                    DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                    Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                    J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

Originally posted by olwarbirds
                      Glad you guys are here, I have a great respect for my brothers downunder. Spent alot of yrs there on and off during my military time. Shirty I have not had much experience at all with the 1400mm FMS Planes. Just a quick rundown, I been flying rc for 50 yrs. Worked in the RC industry on an off since the late 80's. I am very experienced and do have an electronics background, But I dont claim to know it all and I am always ready to learn something new or even re-learn ! I had left RCG for around 5yrs for the same type of BS (trolls) and just recently came back and like you I will be spending my time and efforts to help anyway I can to make this site better. I do respect you guys inputs and look forward to the fun we will have giving each other a bit of a jab in the ribs.  
                      Zipper I dont see anything wrong with that noseart and it really pisses me off that RCG is going back and deleting the History that I put my life on the line for and the freedom of being able to do so. We wont have those probs here, I have already spoken with others and as long as we are not being vulgar there wont be a problem. Being off topic to make the point of why this site is going to be awesome and is already great is fine with me.
                      I am very interested in a vid of that new 650kv in action even if it isnt on a P-51, after all this is suppose to be learning about new products and other ways of doing things....tks for your support guys it means alot to me and too motion also.... DJ
                      +1,000,000,000,000!!!!!!

I have never served, BUT!!! I do have the utmost respect for those who are, and have served. I do not take for granted the privilege of freedom, especially when others were the ones who provided it. Thank you Olwarbirds, and all of those who gave us this precious gift.
                      Regards,

Airzipper

Comment

Couldn't agree more. For a lot of us, it's those brave men and women who serve that continue to inspire us with their incredible courage. Anyone who served (or is serving), really does do so knowing that they may need to put their life on the line, for their beliefs in a free society. How could anyone possibly ask more of someone. Australia wouldn't be the place it is today without them, I'm sure the same could be said of much of the free world. Thank you for your service.

Comment

I am so humbled guys, tks so much.....
                          FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                          DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                          Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                          J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
                            I found the Varathane didn't take as many coats.  I put new wings on my F/W Mustang and one coat of Varathane covered as well as 4 coats of Mnwax, plus the Varathane has a UV protectant in it as well

Grossman56
                            I've never seen varathane before. Where did you find it? Looks awesome!
                            [hr]
                            Originally posted by OV10
                            wintrsol, tks for the info
                            Daryl, welcome to HS and congrats on the new flyer in the family.
                            John, lol, yeah there so awful ! welcome to HS

[hr]
                            I am finding it difficult to get any specs on the FMS motors. From what I can guess is that the motor shaft is possibly 6mm. Is this correct ?
                            Hello olWB,
                            Not sure which motor you're referring to but am guessing it is this one:
                            4258-550 is 6mm per this spec at Diamond.   http://www.diamondhobby.com/airplane...tor-4258-kv550
                            They have all the FMS motor specs listed, just look under the specifications tab for each motor.
                            Wish MRC would publish these.
                            Best regards,
                            Charlie,tks brother...exactly I looked on MRC and couldnt find the specs. After doing some research I am getting some different specs one is saying M6 and another is M8 for that motor...I will be using this motor on all my 1400mm warbirds http://www.diamondhobby.com/electronics-accessories/fms-motor-4258-kv650 and tks to you I got what was needed ...I am wanting to order a Ramoser varioprop and want to make sure I get exactly what all is needed the first time. Plus I am going to be listing links to each item needed depending on which motor....tks again... DJ

[hr]
                            Originally posted by Sky Wolf
                            Originally posted by Grossman56
                            I found the Varathane didn't take as many coats.  I put new wings on my F/W Mustang and one coat of Varathane covered as well as 4 coats of Mnwax, plus the Varathane has a UV protectant in it as well

Grossman56
                            I've never seen varathane before. Where did you find it? Looks awesome!
                            Varathane is a rust-oleum product..walmart, lowes, home depot also you can order it off of amazon...
                            Grossman, thanks! Will check it out.

Comment

I have been looking at some Admiral 4S 4000 40C batteries, since my 20C 4500mAh packs are getting tired. My questions is:

Does the "C" rating really make a difference in performance? Meaning, does inscreasing the C-rating compensate for a lower mAh capacity? The other option would be the Admiral 4S 3600mAh 40C battery. I would "lose" 1min of flight time vs. the 4000mAh pack.

Thanks in advance,
                              Regards,

Airzipper

Comment

G'day zip. I think a few people have a difference of opinion on this, but I certainly notice a higher c rated battery with 3D flying especially, but in my warbirds and helis as well. I also think it is very much determined by the brand of battery and how efficient they are, quality etc, and this is what sometimes muddies the waters about this topic.

A higher c rating will give you a bit more punch, at the cost of a slightly shorter flight time, which you can manage with throttle anyway. I've always thought about it like this: the mah is how many gallons are in your fuel tank. The c rating is how much of that fuel, can get into the motor at one time for combustion. Not exactly correct, but the principle is the same.

Best suggestion I can give you is buy just one if dollars are a concern and try it alongside your normal packs first. See what you think. But I usually run at least 30-40c in my warbirds. My opinion is with a good quality battery, yes c rating makes a difference. Hope it helps mate, but I'm sure someone will chime in who knows more about it than I do. :)

Comment

I have been looking at some Admiral 4S 4000 40C batteries, since my 20C 4500mAh packs are getting tired. My questions is:

Does the "C" rating really make a difference in performance? Meaning, does inscreasing the C-rating compensate for a lower mAh capacity? The other option would be the Admiral 4S 3600mAh 40C battery. I would "lose" 1min of flight time vs. the 4000mAh pack.

Thanks in advance,
                                  A good "apples to apples" comparison would be (for example), Admiral vs Admiral Pro of the same mah. I use both types in the 2200, 4s variety. The difference between the 2 is the "C" rating, the Pro being the higher. In the same plane, the Pro gives more "punch" right from the start of the flight and holds on better well into the flight. The Pro will also last a bit longer, given the same kind of throttle use.
                                  You say that your batteries are getting "tired". This happens over time. The Pro takes many more flights (and more time) before it gets "tired". If I knew then what I know now, I'd get the regular Admiral for those planes that I don't fly "full out" most of the time. Sailplanes, slow flying, "relaxation" planes do just fine with those. The Pro, I would use for things like EDFs and high performance type planes that I like to fly at high throttle most of the time and want those planes to fly near their max speed much of the time.
                                  I have a battery telemetry device that I move from plane to plane so I can tell how well each battery performs and when it has reached it's danger voltage.

Comment

Thanks gents for your responses. I imagined that the higher C-rating would have an impact, but was not sure of how much. I am leaning towards the Admiral 4000mAh 40C because I prefer longer flight times.
                                    Regards,

Airzipper

Comment

I had to chime in on a couple of things you fine chaps are discussing...

Regarding those who serve...my father fought on Iwo Jima, my brother flew A-4's for VMA 331, and if the doc had not found a mitral valve heart murmur during my physical at 18...I'd have joined them in the proud group that served in the USMC. Freedom isn't free, and I have the utmost respect for anyone that has served in any branch of military service. The sacrifices made by many are why we are free to be here talking models.  :)

Hobby Squawk is a great forum! What an excellent job these guys are doing. I'm seeing a lot of the guys I know and have seen on RCG. What I'm not seeing is the truck load of BS and negativity I see so much of over there...the reputation idea is great...seems to make people think before they type...you want nothing or positives, and if you have a bunch of negatives folks know to steer clear. Great idea. :D

And finally...loving my FMS 1400v8 P-51B...painted by my buddy Moonbeam in Walter Starck's "Stark Mad" scheme. Its outfitted with the 4250 motor and I fly it on 4s and 5s. Looking forward to seeing how one will do with the new 650kv motor on 4s...

Really glad to see you guys over here, and looking forward to more!

SM
                                      (Adam)
                                      Big time propeller head
                                      Love flying scale and 3D
                                      Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

Hello Starck,
                                        Just for my edification, are you the "Adam Stang" from over on the other site?
                                        Welcome aboard either way.
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
                                          Hello Starck,
                                          Just for my edification, are you the "Adam Stang" from over on the other site?
                                          Welcome aboard either way.
                                          That's me buddy...

I love getting some edification! Great to see you over here man.

SM
                                          Big time propeller head
                                          Love flying scale and 3D
                                          Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

Working...
                                          X