Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, now that's a good idea, I'll have to check in my stock of old landing gear and see if there is something with the same diameter. Unfortunately, this might be a hint of things to come. Try finding gear doors and such. We may be seeing the end of out favorite airplanes.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Yep. I ordered some extra prop blades and a spinner last night. With 5 Mustangs, you can't have too many spare props... LOL

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	CB75AA1C-798F-44FB-A768-AAFFF4FBFBD6.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	212925I have recently purchased the V8 redtail but I am experiencing issues with the rear retracts not working. They don't cycle either up or down with the main landing gear. What i am looking for is a picture of the FMS multi connector board showing me what leads go where as the schematic diagram in the manual is very poor. Im not sure that I have the connector in the correct position. Any assistance would be appreciated many thanks.

Comment

• Here's a weird one. I put in the upgrade KV650 motor and ESC and flew it a few dozen times. Yesterday shortly after takeoff it started making a nasty sound, and before I could get it landed the motor separated from fuselage. I managed to deadstick the motor-less airplane to a safe emergency landing.

The motor mount shows the motor appeared to overheat so hot it melted the mounting bracket and the screws pulled out. At least that's what it looks like. Immediately after landing I could touch the ESC. It wasn't hot. Just warm.

The motor came off a couple hundred yards away over some scrubby area. We searched and couldn't find it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1558.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	214142Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1560.JPG
Views:	693
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	214143

Comment

• CC, Wholly Moley. Great piloting skills getting her back safely, Sir. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
              CC, Wholly Moley. Great piloting skills getting her back safely, Sir. Best, LB
              Thanks. Unfortunately, the airplane is unfixable. They sell a replacement motor mount, but I see no way to put it in without splitting the fuselage in two to remove the old and insert the new.

Name:	mount.png
Views:	679
Size:	589.1 KB
ID:	214251

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyculp View Post

Thanks. Unfortunately, the airplane is unfixable. They sell a replacement motor mount, but I see no way to put it in without splitting the fuselage in two to remove the old and insert the new.

Name:	mount.png
Size:	589.1 KB
ID:	214251
                This is a similar process to changing the motor mount on the big Corsair. You have to split the fuse at the nose just enough to work the mount out and in. It doesn't have to be split all the way down the plane. I did it myself using wedges but an extra set of hands is helpful. The natural glued seam is the best place to split it. Once glued back together, it'll be stronger than it was before. Of course, garbaging it will allow you to buy new plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  This is a similar process to changing the motor mount on the big Corsair. You have to split the fuse at the nose just enough to work the mount out and in. It doesn't have to be split all the way down the plane. I did it myself using wedges but an extra set of hands is helpful. The natural glued seam is the best place to split it. Once glued back together, it'll be stronger than it was before. Of course, garbaging it will allow you to buy new plane.
                  How do you remove the cowl?

Name:	EEED9F3A-B30F-4BDD-89BD-326CA0413AFC.jpeg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	214267

Comment

• Just split the cowl with a Dremel tool or carefully with an X-Acto blade. Then just slowly peel it off. Take you time and the glue will start to let go... You can fix it Bro!! I wish you were closer, and I would do it for you!!! Give it a try. If you destroy it, well, it was broke anyway!!! Jerry

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyculp View Post
                      Thanks. Unfortunately, the airplane is unfixable.
                      CC, She's fixable in the contents of willingness, time, money, and heart. I usually do an immediate 'tear-down' to assess the real damage followed by a fully committed evening out with 'she whose authority exceeds my rank'. Within a day or two, when I'm feeling better, ahem, the aircraft is looking a bit more fixable. I hope you save it, Sir. Best always, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

CC, She's fixable in the contents of willingness, time, money, and heart. I usually do an immediate 'tear-down' to assess the real damage followed by a fully committed evening out with 'she whose authority exceeds my rank'. Within a day or two, when I'm feeling better, ahem, the aircraft is looking a bit more fixable. I hope you save it, Sir. Best always, LB
                        Might as well give it a whirl. I'm pretty handy and have the tools and all that. Worse case I have another box of spare parts. I already know which of my current fleet would get the receiver.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                          Hey, now that's a good idea, I'll have to check in my stock of old landing gear and see if there is something with the same diameter. Unfortunately, this might be a hint of things to come. Try finding gear doors and such. We may be seeing the end of out favorite airplanes.

Grossman56
                          Hoy Grossman...off the current topic, did you do a post a while back about retract cleaning? Something about the grease and contacts or such? I have one off this P-51 that will not go back and forth all the way. Took it apart and everything seems to be ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonowtm View Post

Hoy Grossman...off the current topic, did you do a post a while back about retract cleaning? Something about the grease and contacts or such? I have one off this P-51 that will not go back and forth all the way. Took it apart and everything seems to be ok.
                            No, it wasn't me! I'm not that good at this Sounds like a Charlie Brown (OV10) kinda thing.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Even though I have done many a repair/clean of FMS/Freewing/Dynam etracts, I did not do a detailed posting about this.

My chemobrain seems to remember that maybe it was Jerry(Hardway) that may have taken the initiative to document his efforts in this
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Well I sure cant figure it. One works fine the other goes about halfway and stops. If I mess with it I can get it to the full out but then it will not go back down by itself. Makes all the right noises though...so at least I can pretend it's working hahahah

Comment

• Thank you Charlie, but not me! LOL. I have had them apart, but no documentation!

Comment

• I remember a post, but not who or where.... sorry!

Comment

• Hello - just found this site when looking for more information on the FMS P51 1400mm V8 - have one coming from HH in the next couple of days. I already ordered the 580KV upgrade motor for it and was planing to also do the retract upgrade to the aluminum rails from Small Parts but I am not sure if the upgrade will work for this plane ... would have liked to get them to install during the build but I am thinking they are for the older version ... right?
                                      Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Butchn View Post
                                        Hello - just found this site when looking for more information on the FMS P51 1400mm V8 - have one coming from HH in the next couple of days. I already ordered the 580KV upgrade motor for it and was planing to also do the retract upgrade to the aluminum rails from Small Parts but I am not sure if the upgrade will work for this plane ... would have liked to get them to install during the build but I am thinking they are for the older version ... right?
                                        Thanks
                                        Welcome to the Squawk Butch.
                                        The Small Parts CNC side plate upgrade is absolutely made for this planes FMS RE003 etracts BUT prior to the March 2018 update when FMS did the mods to the side plates.
                                        I was in disbelief when they did that modification and didn't change the part number and kept it the same versus like making it a -1. Goes against basic engineering revision drawing practices.
                                        Terry the owner of Small Parts CNC is a great person to work with and will definitely help you determine if yours is pre mod or not as he has made clear with bold red print on his product page linked below.
                                        http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...product_id=193

Your upgrade to the 580 motor is way old school and is not going to give you the performance you will be satisfied with.
                                        The standard power upgrades is now with the FMS 1400 P-40B motor 4258-kV650 on 4S or the FMS motor 4258-kV460 on 6S which is used on the 1700 Tigercat, 1500 P-47 and the 3000 FOX Glider.
                                        Here is the 4S 650kV links:
                                        HH > https://www.horizonhobby.com/4528-motor-kv650-fmmkv650
                                        FMS > http://www.fmsmodel.com/fms-motor-4258-kv650-predator
                                        Here is the 6S 460kV links:
                                        HH >https://www.horizonhobby.com/motor-4...0mm-p-pdzkv460 They say it is discontinued ???????????? but not FMS...……..maybe because it is used in three planes..
                                        FMS > http://www.fmsmodel.com/predator-motor-4258-kv460

Both of these motor in order to keep the appropriate cowl/spinner spacing will need the prop shaft from the 1400 F3A Olympus.
                                        HH > https://www.horizonhobby.com/4258-motor-shaft-fmmdz005
                                        FMS > http://www.fmsmodel.com/fms-1-4m-f3a-ff117-motor-shaft

Hope this helps
                                        Best regards,
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Not really looking for a big gain in performance since I typically fly my Warbirds in a scale like manner - will push the envelope every once in a while with my other planes. Just thought I would like give it a little goose in performance and not have to mess with a different ESC, mount and batteries ... might change my mind after I have flown it a few times - guess I'll find out. Also I guess I have heard that the newer stock LG is not all that bad either??
                                          Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
                                          X