X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day tdevince,
    I have three of the 1400mm D Mustangs, BBD came as a V7 and had been upgraded to full V8 specs with a 580 motor. This meant replacing the 3 mm axle in the landing gear and all the three second equipment.
    She has over one hundred flights and I have replaced the flap servos after a wheels up, flaps down landing after a battery failure. The flaps hit the turf and stripped the final drive cog in the servos. No other damage and the BBD has had two wheels up landings so far and neither even took any paint off.
    Oh, this is BBD number two as the first unit was cut in half while waiting to taxi out for a ground test. Another pilot lost control during landing [with a big glow unit] and went right through her like a hot knife through butter. So I had a few spares straight away!!:rolleyes:
    Number two is the Shangri La and she has topped the 100 as well and is fitted with a MR Sound unit gifted to me by Shirty [thanks again!!!!].
    She arrived as a 7.5 but is also full V8 specs with a 580. Everything else is stock and I have not had to replace anything on her* except an outer gear door when I was in a hurry and got my feet in the way and kicked the door.
    Number three with sixty six flights is the Duchess Arlene. She arrived fully V8 specs and had a 580 motor in place and so far I have change nothing on her at all. But I might swap out the sequencer as a precaution.
    *​One thing I have done on all the Mustangs is have some bronze bushes made to prevent the C clip from wearing through the wheel hub. Take a look at yours just in case this is happening.
    I use and totally recommend a product called INOX for all lubrication. The black can is the best with teflon in it but the dark blue can with a red lid is very good as well. It does not harm the foam and it does not go sticky and attract dust like other spray lubricants.
    And it really helps with the tail wheel if you fly off grass as I do.
    One thing I would like to ask of pilots with a couple of these birds, which one is the easiest to see?
    I find the DA to be the best.
    One thing that they all do is disappear into the blue sky when making a turn away from the pilots' box with the sun behind them. The silver reflects the blue and the model just blends right in to the sky. Thankfully, they are only lost for a moment and the red tail / rudder helps to keep track. I almost lost BBD in a cloudy background one day and I was struggling to work out which way she was going. I pushed the stick right and she turned right and I knew then that she was going away from me and she had got a long way away in a very short time.
    I find the Mustang a very easy model to fly but this might be because I came up the steps of the learning curve.
    Hope you all had a change to annoy the gravity Gods over the weekend.
    Regards and respect
    Daryl

Comment

• Daryl,
      The Duchess is the only P51 in my stable, so I can't really compare her to other P51 schemes. I really don't have much of an issue keeping her orientation straight. Our field has the flight line facing east, so I typically don't fly before noon and thus don't have the worry about flying into the sun. Some of my other planes are more difficult to tell orientation (at some point they all are dark silhouettes), I don't see the Duchess as any better or worse than those. However, I am certain that the Red Tails do fly better than the Blue Noses.

Thanks for the tip on the E-clips, I'll have to check those (I don't have as many flights on my Duchess as you do yours).

Comment

• Originally posted by olwarbirds View Post
        td the VR5203 voltage regulator http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...pmvr5203#close is a nice devise. I use them on my EFL retracts and that eliminated the cycling issues. I tried to get the specs on our FMS retracts and have not found them as of yet. The VR5203 limits the voltage to 5.2v and 2a continuous 3a burst. Another thing alot of our fellow flyers are not aware of is that most ESC's and BEC'S output voltage can be changed, this could cause issues if not set right. Please post some more vids guys, at least I can watch Yall fly while I am snowed in.... DJ
        Have you tried a VR5203 on your FMS retracts? If so, has that fixed your retract issues with FMS? I know they fixed them for me on my Eflite retracts and was thinking it might be worth a try on my Duchess.

Comment

• TD, no I have not. I am wanting electrical specifications before I try the VR5203 on them. If you do try them, pls let us all know what happens.
          Daryl, nice history and log keeping. Your FMS Stangs have held up very well. I have yet to see any color combo that sometimes momentarily you dont loose perspective on. Its more about age, lighting, background and of course size that makes any color blend. I learned the hard way earlier this past summer that My eyes would no longer allow me to fly any thing smaller than 1100mm, if it could do over 50 mph it was going to be foam carnage very soon.
          FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
          DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
          Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
          J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

• Gotta say, I used to feel for you guys that some of you have a flying "season", and are ground bound for some of the year due to snow. Dunno how you handle it. (If you don't like building/painting/modding or just prefer making RC vids for some fun like some blokes I know...). But I've been grounded this last week and this week due to Perth mysteriously moving about a million kilometres closer to the sun, and I'm going crazy with hanging for a fly. Not kidding, step outside at risk of death. as soon as the sun hits you you can feel it burning. Even my pool was too hot to swim in till 10pm yesterday. Love summer. :)

And what's worse, I have more time to look at that bloody p38 and start trying to justify in my head not waiting and forking out the big bucks on freight and getting one ex-USA. Must... Fight.... The... Urge...

Comment

• C'mon Shirty,
              Just tough it out with the wait and when it does happen it will be all the sweeter. I'm only about 600 miles due east of MRC in upstate NY but even with the milder winter temps we are experiencing, the runways at the club look like frost heaved tundra. So even if I had the forktailed devil in my hands I would still be waiting until the end of April before we reopen the fields and get them rolled flat. So join me in the second round of ordering and learn what we need to do from the critiques of the first arrivals!! Besides, do you really want to be the one who finds out at what temp foam really melts at down under?? :D
              Best regards,
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Hi All, I have made the move from RCG :)
                Another Auzzie from Queensland Australia
                Gave up waiting for the weather to improve after 3 weeks of no flying, Wind was down the strip, 25kmhr gusting to 35kmhr, The Red Nose handled the 35km wind well, took off in about 2 m, sure covers some ground going down wind, while it went OK it was not all that plesent
                Mike
                RED NOSE FMS P51D V8, Mr RC Sound Card :shy:
                Lots of Helicopters :p

Comment

• Welcome aboard mate. Go the maroons. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                    Gotta say, I used to feel for you guys that some of you have a flying "season", and are ground bound for some of the year due to snow. Dunno how you handle it. (If you don't like building/painting/modding or just prefer making RC vids for some fun like some blokes I know...). But I've been grounded this last week and this week due to Perth mysteriously moving about a million kilometres closer to the sun, and I'm going crazy with hanging for a fly. Not kidding, step outside at risk of death. as soon as the sun hits you you can feel it burning. Even my pool was too hot to swim in till 10pm yesterday. Love summer. :)

And what's worse, I have more time to look at that bloody p38 and start trying to justify in my head not waiting and forking out the big bucks on freight and getting one ex-USA. Must... Fight.... The... Urge...
                    Dang Shirty...I have a feeling Air Conditioner Man is an excellent occupation down there...:D . Just curious...do they allow bikini photos on HS??:p
                    Big time propeller head
                    Love flying scale and 3D
                    Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• Originally posted by Starck Mad View Post

Dang Shirty... . Just curious...do they allow bikini photos on HS??:p
                      I think Shirty should post his Christmas picture here to find out if Bikinis are allowed :)

Comment

• Welcome aboard Rex 09!

I envy you guys down under. I'm about 45 minutes from Motion Rc in Chicago so it's cold and windy but not to much snow this year. I sure can't wait for summer!

Comment

• Get a decal made and turn it into nose art Shirty!!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Lol, hellooo callie. ;)

Comment

• LOL love it.....Welcome to the open minded forum, no forum Nazis allowed. Rex glad ya joined us, we do enjoy ourselves here. Post your Stang pics with NOSEART being optional but preferred ! ... DJ

Comment

• CanYank HobbySquawk Decorated pilot, eh! Lmao thats a good one brother, the weather here is the south hasnt been all that great either guys & gal. I am also getting stuck in hangar blues. Offer is open to any of you downunder brothers who want me to ship any Plane to them they want and cant get there..... DJ

Comment

• G'day gang,
                                  This will be a bit of an in joke among the Aussies here but Shirty, how can you like the BLUE nosers when you are a RED tail [at least Maroon]?
                                  I knew you would see the light!!:D
                                  To all others, I am with Shirty when I can not even imagine a flying 'season' when we get to fly our birds all year round.
                                  While we do get the odd frost and at twice a year a minus reading on the thermometer [in C*] it rarely gets below 18 *C during even our coldest winter days. And that has us all rugged up like a polar explorer.
                                  I did land with frost on the canopy once.
                                  And thanks olwarbirds, it might be interesting to see if it can be any cheaper doing it any other way than via normal channels.
                                  Regards and respect
                                  Daryl

Comment

• One of life's great ironies I guess.... ;)

Comment

• Sorry for the off topic post: but I couldn't resist sharing when it dawned on me how absurd this must look. As most of you guys know, it's been stinking hot this summer, with temps above 40 almost every day. (105 f). Accordingly, I've been living in my pool, and it struck me the other day the bottom could use a good scrubbing. Came up from the bottom today to see 3 of my neighbours peering over the fence wondering what the hell I was up to... :D Ps: hope I don't get done for posting a "suggestive" photo. Was too hot to wear a shirt in the pool, sorry. ;) Pps: I'm not one for selfies (pretty sure I'm not a 16yr old girl), but here ya go... Maybe I'll break the Internet. :D

Comment

• Glad you're not a 16 yr old girl 'cause you're not exactly my vision of a "sweet young thing". :p And I'm not sure what it is that you'd be "suggesting". Can't even see any man boobs. :sick: That picture would even be OK for those prudes at "you know where".
                                        BTW, it got up to just over +19C yesterday here and we're supposed to be in the middle of winter. It's -19C in eastern Canada. I hope Leo DiCaprio doesn't hear of our heat wave. Last time he was here, the doofus proclaimed that he was in the midst of horrific climate change. It's just a "CHINOOK", you idiot.

Comment

• Lmao. That's one shocking looking 16yr old girl... There was that one time in Bangkok though and..... Lol just joking. :)

Comment

Working...
                                          X