Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, a great airplane. I had mine auger in at Nefi a couple of years ago over the infamous Nefi Triangle. Ordered new parts as soon as I got home and in my haste, I just accepted what I received. In hindsight, I should have sent them back as they were gatored pretty badly and a piece of the wing fillet was dented in. I lived with it and got rid of the gatoring in the new wings by coating it with several coats of gloss Minwax as described before, still have to work on the fuse. Moral of the story, make sure you're satisfied with what you receive. In all fairness, the guys at Motion totally rock when it comes to customer service, hopefully they'll be able to maintain a stock of spare parts for the FMS warbirds. Or better yet, give us an awesome P40B, or E in 1500 to 1600 scale:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Hi I'm Johno new member setting up my new p40 would a 5000mah be to big to run thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Johno View Post
        Hi I'm Johno new member setting up my new p40 would a 5000mah be to big to run thanks
        Hello!!!! Welcome to Hobby Squawk! :Cool: I have used an Admiral 5000mah 4S in my P-40 and it works great!! https://www.motionrc.com/collections...xt60-connector I use an adapter for the XT-60 to fit the P-40 ESC connector... ;) Jerry

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Still a bit new to the Squawk. How did everyone attach the battery tray? Do I need this or can I get away without it for now? Also, what RX is everyone using? I have been using the Admiral RX600 with the satellite receiver.

I think I may have a problem. Just bought the F6F Hellcat and I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on this beautiful bird LOL
          Happy flying!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cchrissyv1 View Post
            Hello Everyone,

Still a bit new to the Squawk. How did everyone attach the battery tray? Do I need this or can I get away without it for now? Also, what RX is everyone using? I have been using the Admiral RX600 with the satellite receiver.

I think I may have a problem. Just bought the F6F Hellcat and I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on this beautiful bird LOL
            The battery tray just slides into the airplane, the small triangular locks and the finger ring go towards the rear of the plane. When you push it in you'll feel it snap into the locked in position. As for the tray itself. it comes with a Velcro strap to hold the battery in place. I augment this by putting Velcro on the bottom of the battery and the tray and added two more straps to further secure it...
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9781.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	197559 Here's the position of the 4000 4s battery I used when it was a 4s system, I've since upgraded to a 6s system using a 4500 6s battery.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• My God what did I hold out so long in getting this famous plane from the more famous Flying Tigers. As a kid, I got to meet one of the Flying Tigers, but never thought about it until when in my teens. My dad and me were watching "The Flying Tigers" and that was when he reminded me.

What a presents this plane has in the air; from roll out, low passes you name it.

I did notice it likes a little added power in turns as it will bleed off power in a turn quick. On roll out, I did need a bit of rubber input(just like a Corsair), but not sure if it the field crosswind was more of a factor too. Flaps didn't cause any real ballooning or affect pitch.

I personally think that 4000 packs work best. They balanced out perfectly in the middle of the battery tray. I have a 5cell pack that was the ticket, but I'm not sure I can find many more of those.

FYI to other 1400mm Corsair pilots, I have used this same gear on my old Airfield 1450mm F4U and it works like a charm. The tail wheel seems like it would work too but I haven't tried it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saltydawg View Post
                My God what did I hold out so long in getting this famous plane from the more famous Flying Tigers. As a kid, I got to meet one of the Flying Tigers, but never thought about it until when in my teens. My dad and me were watching "The Flying Tigers" and that was when he reminded me.

What a presents this plane has in the air; from roll out, low passes you name it.

I did notice it likes a little added power in turns as it will bleed off power in a turn quick. On roll out, I did need a bit of rubber input(just like a Corsair), but not sure if it the field crosswind was more of a factor too. Flaps didn't cause any real ballooning or affect pitch.

I personally think that 4000 packs work best. They balanced out perfectly in the middle of the battery tray. I have a 5cell pack that was the ticket, but I'm not sure I can find many more of those.

FYI to other 1400mm Corsair pilots, I have used this same gear on my old Airfield 1450mm F4U and it works like a charm. The tail wheel seems like it would work too but I haven't tried it.
                It is a great flying bird!!! Glad you are enjoying it. I certainly do every time I fly her.... Congrats on a great bird!! Lots of history and heroism there!! :Cool:

Comment

• So, we had our Spring Fly In yesterday and the day before. Actually yesterday as Saturday was a wash out.
                  I'm flying my P-40 and I'm down at the East end of the runway, I notice she's not responding the way I would expect. I try to speed up and I've got no response. "Hmm", thinks I. Dead battery?? Seems odd as I've done on lap so far and lately I've been able to get 10+ minutes on a battery. So I drop the gear and get her on the runway, quite far down and I notice something peculiar from a distance. "No way!" thinks I, but "Yes way" is the answer. She has no prop or spinner. Sure as all hell, everything from the fuse forward is gone except for a small washer-like piece of the spinner base plate. Upon inspection, I found no damage at all to the rest of the plane. Weird thing is , I never saw anything fly off the plane, so its out there somewhere in the sagebrush...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4440.JPG
Views:	642
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	199195

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post

Grossman56
                    Remember me telling ya last fall about the stock prop/spinner not liking the 4258-460kV setup.
                    After two back to back flights where I shredded props, switched over to a MAS 14x9x3 with the Nitroplanes version of the FMS P-40E spinner.
                    By the way, these failures happen shortly after getting back home from showing it off to you at NEFI.
                    Ever since then...........no frontal explosions in high speed power dives ;)
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• What fun is that? :Silly::P:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Remember me telling ya last fall about the stock prop/spinner not liking the 4258-460kV setup.
                        After two back to back flights where I shredded props, switched over to a MAS 14x9x3 with the Nitroplanes version of the FMS P-40E spinner.
                        By the way, these failures happen shortly after getting back home from showing it off to you at NEFI.
                        Ever since then...........no frontal explosions in high speed power dives ;)
                        Yep, I remember, I was hoping to get that info. Don't know how much I'll be buying in the future, just got my lay off notice today, last day on Aug 12.
                        Anyway, it was strange, I didn't even see it leave the plane!! Probably a good thing as I kept my cool and landed with no damage to the plane. Even the props sudden exit didn't do any damage. But some dummy left her on a glass table in the sun:Sweating: and she gatored back up:Angry:wonder who that was:Thinking:

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Yep, I remember, I was hoping to get that info. Don't know how much I'll be buying in the future, just got my lay off notice today, last day on Aug 12.
                          Anyway, it was strange, I didn't even see it leave the plane!! Probably a good thing as I kept my cool and landed with no damage to the plane. Even the props sudden exit didn't do any damage. But some dummy left her on a glass table in the sun:Sweating: and she gatored back up:Angry:wonder who that was:Thinking:

Grossman56
                          Sorry Bro. When a door closes, God opens a better one! Have faith! :Cool::Cool::Cool: Jerry

Comment

• Is it ok not to glue the wings together? I cannot find a build video on this bird and it does not say anything in the manual about glueing...Thanks

Comment

• Hey bobtheman, I personally didn't glue the wings together, but short of being able to pull new wires through if you have to replace a servo or retract, there's no reason that you couldn't. Been a whole since I did that sort of thing on her so I can't remember just how the wire channels go. OV-10 glued his together if I remember reading here on the thread.
                              See post 143 for a link to Rich's build video

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Hey bobtheman, I personally didn't glue the wings together, but short of being able to pull new wires through if you have to replace a servo or retract, there's no reason that you couldn't. Been a whole since I did that sort of thing on her so I can't remember just how the wire channels go. OV-10 glued his together if I remember reading here on the thread.
                                See post 143 for a link to Rich's build video

Grossman56
                                Thanks for the Info Grossman...:)

Comment

• I glued mine, since the space was not an issue. All the other FMS planes seemed to be glued, but I cant see a reason to not glue them... Unless you are pulling high negative G's, then just slide them together and use the screws....

Comment

• I decided to convert mine to 3 sqdn Royal Australian Air Force, Lydia, Desert Camouflage.
                                    removed Goofy and added Aces of Iron pilot

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                      I glued mine, since the space was not an issue. All the other FMS planes seemed to be glued, but I cant see a reason to not glue them... Unless you are pulling high negative G's, then just slide them together and use the screws....
                                      Thanks for your feed back

Comment

• Originally posted by kjenko View Post
                                        I decided to convert mine to 3 sqdn Royal Australian Air Force, Lydia, Desert Camouflage.
                                        removed Goofy and added Aces of Iron pilot
                                        Hey, that looks awesome Kjenko. Beautifully done!

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

So, we had our Spring Fly In yesterday and the day before. Actually yesterday as Saturday was a wash out.
                                          I'm flying my P-40 and I'm down at the East end of the runway, I notice she's not responding the way I would expect. I try to speed up and I've got no response. "Hmm", thinks I. Dead battery?? Seems odd as I've done on lap so far and lately I've been able to get 10+ minutes on a battery. So I drop the gear and get her on the runway, quite far down and I notice something peculiar from a distance. "No way!" thinks I, but "Yes way" is the answer. She has no prop or spinner. Sure as all hell, everything from the fuse forward is gone except for a small washer-like piece of the spinner base plate. Upon inspection, I found no damage at all to the rest of the plane. Weird thing is , I never saw anything fly off the plane, so its out there somewhere in the sagebrush...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4440.JPG
Views:	642
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	199195

Grossman56
                                          UPDATE UPDATE!!!
                                          This just in, two guys wandering the back forty of the field came across the aforementioned P-40 prop, well at least the spinner back plate and the blades, all in surprisingly good condition. The center of the back plate was ground out as that was what was on the prop shaft. I'm still not sure how the front spinner piece came off, must have unthreaded itself once the spinner was spinning freely from the prop shaft which means that out there somewhere the front spinner and even the screw could be sitting in good shape too. They found it almost directly in front of the runway, and out a few yards. This means that I did half a circuit and landed without so much as a scratch without a prop...In a warbird....Chalk it up to dumb luck I guess.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X