X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J3 Navy Cub

Those of you that know me know that I buy 95% of my planes from MotionRC, that being said there are two planes that I love that they don't carry, the 1875mm B-17 and the 1400mm Cubs. I have a few of the V1 "Army" version of the cub and have been anxiously awaiting the release of the J3 Navy version, I'm pretty sure I got the first one in the states so I put together an unboxing video I made this evening and a few pictures of the finished model, beautiful airplane.

Day 245

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_221301562_iOS.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	68449

Name:	20170324_221307919_iOS.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	68450

Name:	20170324_221620977_iOS.jpg
Views:	1352
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	68451

Name:	20170324_221330970_iOS.jpg
Views:	1127
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	68452

Name:	20170324_221152855_iOS.jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	68453

Name:	20170324_221408464_iOS.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	68454
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Looks great. I've fell in love with this plane when I saw it on the HK Weekly video that they do.

I got burned bad with the Taft B-25 and vowed to never buy another plane from HK but this one is tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
      Looks great. I've fell in love with this plane when I saw it on the HK Weekly video that they do.

I got burned bad with the Taft B-25 and vowed to never buy another plane from HK but this one is tempting.
      I've only bought the Cubs and B-17s from HK and from the US warehouse, I absolutely despise their webpage.
      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

The Taft B-25 was a quality piece of garbage. The B-17's seem popular and a buddy just maidened his Waco cabin class biplane, that's a nice model.

Comment

I've had mixed experiences with HK, but the B-17, and their Durafly warbirds have been fantastic. I have their MK1 Spitfire and old Skyraider and they are both wonderful models. Also got both their Lancaster and Sea Fury on clearance for $90 shipped each. They required a few mods to get going, but it was hard to beat their price. Only disappointment I have had with them was their 70mm T-50. It was horribly underpowered, and a train wreck of constantly failing parts. No more EDFs from them unless they are under the Durafly brand..

This Cub definitely looks fantastic though! I have been waiting for that perfect model that would push me to get into FPV, and this seems like it! The in cockpit shots look amazing! I have a Connex HD and some head play SEs w/headtracking on my wish list for it and the Avios Spitfire..

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

You'll love it DK........it's same bird as the L-4 Grasshopper made by Starmax that they used to sell.
            They reissued it in a new livery (GO NAVY) except as TI has indicated it is now a v2.
            My L-4 with a 2600 4S gets 10 minutes of managed throttle.
            Is really good off the turf with the stock wheels so no need to balloon them unless you really like the looks.
            Inverted and other standard acrobatics that a full size could never do is easily done.
            I have actually pulled out of an emmelman so hard that the G's put some stress cracks in the windscreen but nothing folded.
            Just CA'd the cracks and it still going strong.
            TI's third pic down shows the tail of the 480173 L-4 ;)

Hey TI.....put the NE-1 and the L-4 side by side so DK and everyone else can see.........please :Cool:
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

The stock tires and undercarriage will be replaced as soon as I finish my next batch of replacement strut skirts, I make them for the other L-4 guys, I also use the Robart 4" tires "TiredIron-Tundras".

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161105_183234969_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	68473

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161107_221914145_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	164.0 KB ID:	68476

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161107_221931324_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	68474

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161109_122007454_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	68472

Click image for larger version  Name:	20161109_122000135_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	68475
              TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Lucky for my wallet this plane is currently out of stock.

Comment

Fabbed up a few new strut skirts, as soon as my Robart wheels get here I'm done.

Name:	20170326_000838569_iOS.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	68671

Name:	20170326_210838752_iOS.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	68670

Name:	20170326_210857110_iOS.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	68669
                  TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Mine should be here tomorrow. This will be my first plane from HK although I have gotten batteries, ESCs, and various tools and supplies from them. Aside from the shipping taking a few more days and being more expensive than Motion, I've been satisfied with everything I've gotten - about the quality I would expect given the prices. When this one popped up in my e-mail I couldn't resist. I think they sold out by the end of the day....
                    UMX: B-17, PT-17, P-47, A-10, Habu. E-Flite: Sportsman, Timber, Spitfire, P-47. Flyzone f-86 64 mm, Dynam Albatros, Flyzone Zero Select, Freewing B-17, Hobby Zone F4-U Corsair

Comment

Wow I do like the grasshopper very nice in deed but I will hound on Alpha get us one to sell. I will not put any money to HK again had to many issues with them. Maybe some day we will. Thanks for sharing and love the new gear system.

Comment

Opened it and unboxed last night. There was a crack on the top of the fuselage that continued into the windscreen. Click image for larger version

Name:	J3 Navy Cub Damage.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	69851
                        It doesn't appear too structural to me, but I might epoxy it just to be safe - I'm sure I'll certainly be doing worse things to it anyway... I've filed a warranty claim so we'll see how it goes. There was also no manual in the box, and the ESC advertised as a 45 amp is really a 40 amp. Having said all that, the plane is incredibly sturdy and feels much heavier than my other similar sized foamies. It has a very substantial feel to it. The paint and graphics are fantastic too. I've put 3" tires on it and will fab a landing gear bracket similar to TiredIron's.
                        UMX: B-17, PT-17, P-47, A-10, Habu. E-Flite: Sportsman, Timber, Spitfire, P-47. Flyzone f-86 64 mm, Dynam Albatros, Flyzone Zero Select, Freewing B-17, Hobby Zone F4-U Corsair

Comment

I filed a warranty claim from HK and requested a store credit, figuring they'd give me the amount of a new fuselage. The claim was approved and I was given credit for the entire price I spent on the plane, including shipping- needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I finally got to maiden it yesterday during a brief lull in the gusting winds we've been having for about the past week. The flight went very well, especially once I determined that the weird yaw I was getting wasn't due to the wind, but a reversed rudder. It made for an interesting landing considering that there actually was a strong cross wind and I had the rudder and ailerons mixed. Fortunately my guardian angel was flying with me and guided it in to a beautifully crabby landing. I wish I had my camera on because I'll probably never see another successful landing like that one. It didn't register to me on my pre-flight ground check that the rudder was moving the wrong way (I really concentrate on the elevator and aileron movements since I've been stung hard by them before.) I will now add rudders to my close inspection routine...

I'm no expert, but this thing has an abundance of power for me, and once I took care of the rudder thing it didn't require even one click of trim. Very relaxing to fly and a beautiful presence in the air and on the ground. I'm not really thrilled dealing with HK, that's why I really I wish Motion would offer a similar plane and maybe a Grasshopper - I'd be the first to put money down on either of them.

Comment

Only bad thing I found is that if you stall it under 40ft you'll be searching the internet for new prop! LOL (had to buy a couple from Dragon hobby as they were the only people who had the specific props!)

Comment

Originally posted by Blastfromthepast View Post
                              Only bad thing I found is that if you stall it under 40ft you'll be searching the internet for new prop! LOL (had to buy a couple from Dragon hobby as they were the only people who had the specific props!)
                              Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Did it crack the cowl?
                              TiredIron Aviation

Comment

No amazingly! Just knocked the motor out and the cowl pieces popped apart with their anchors and just reglued them and will test fly it soon! Just noticed motor shaft may be bent! New motor?? Had such problem finding props shaft probably impossible!

Comment

Originally posted by Blastfromthepast View Post
                                  No amazingly! Just knocked the motor out and the cowl pieces popped apart with their anchors and just reglued them and will test fly it soon! Just noticed motor shaft may be bent! New motor?? Had such problem finding props shaft probably impossible!
                                  They're pretty common parts used on other aircraft but it's a pretty hefty shaft and may be ok, where are you located?
                                  TiredIron Aviation

Comment

I've had a couple of these Cubs. They fly great, the landing gear is a weak point, but if you manage your landings well, it can hold up, even on grass. I wrapped one of mine as the NAVY version a while before HK re released it in blue. My other is dressed as the CAP plane on display at the USAF Museum.

Comment

I've been watching some videos of this plane lately, I really like it but the darn thing is still out of stock. :(

Comment

On the J3 Navy from Hobby King:

1. Are all the decals already applied?
                                        2. Is there a need to replace the stock ESC if using 4s?
                                        3. Any known weakness other the the landing gear system mentioned above?
                                        4. Any tips not in the manual for construction?

I have one of these on the way and wanted to get ahead of the game...

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                        X