Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, on maiden flight just after what seemed to be normal take off with no flaps when the elevator stick was returned to neutral the airplane took a strong downward direction with no roll to right or left. I began adding trim and ran out before it got to level flight. I called Grayson and they sent me to this site which was an awesome fix and down right problem solving outcome. I used four mm block on the TE Of the horizontal. Took it back out and problem gone. The flaps are a concern as this is my first aircraft with them. Four landings all too hot and ugly. I have take off set at 20 degrees and landing at 50-60. When you say 100percent do you mean all that the servo will deliver? Do you deploy landing flaps at say half throttle and onto final approach? Appreciate the quick response great information shared by so many!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonydoright View Post
      Sorry, on maiden flight just after what seemed to be normal take off with no flaps when the elevator stick was returned to neutral the airplane took a strong downward direction with no roll to right or left. I began adding trim and ran out before it got to level flight. I called Grayson and they sent me to this site which was an awesome fix and down right problem solving outcome. I used four mm block on the TE Of the horizontal. Took it back out and problem gone. The flaps are a concern as this is my first aircraft with them. Four landings all too hot and ugly. I have take off set at 20 degrees and landing at 50-60. When you say 100percent do you mean all that the servo will deliver? Do you deploy landing flaps at say half throttle and onto final approach? Appreciate the quick response great information shared by so many!
      Landing flaps are 100%, " all the servos can give you." On your downwind drop your gear and select takeoff flaps, your 20 degrees, throttle back enough to slow her down but not enough to descend, probably about 50%. This will help prevent "ballooning " due to your increased lift that your 20 degrees of flaps is providing you.

Once you feel like you've achieved the balance where you are using just enough throttle to maintain altitude, drop your landing flaps and adjust your pitch down to start your descent adjust your throttle down first then up if need be to control your constant rate of descent. Keep the slight nose down attitude because your flap setting and your slow turning props are actually producing drag, acting like speed brakes.

Once you are in ground effect, or about 1 to 1 1/2 wingspans height above your landing zone, relax pressure on your forward stick until the aircraft is level, her descent will slow at first, then when it starts to increase, slowly pitch the nose up while simultaneously creeping back on that little bit of power you still had in, and she'll touch down on the mains nice and gentle. Piece of cake 👍

Comment

• Nice, I feel like I'm being talked down from the tower. Well written advice. Ill apply this approach this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonydoright View Post
          Nice, I feel like I'm being talked down from the tower. Well written advice. Ill apply this approach this weekend.
          Haha your welcome. This type of approach will work for just about any aircraft with the exception of delta wings, when you get a delta jet me know.

Comment

• Great advice, Phantom, thanks for providing it! Phantom Tower!
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
              Great advice, Phantom, thanks for providing it! Phantom Tower!
              Haha glad I could help. Phantom Tower eh? Guess I missed my calling with ATC... but I'm happier in the cockpit!

Comment

• Hey Tony, the Phantom beat me to it... but he told the story... I use "takeoff flaps" for takeoff and then again on the setup for landing, then use full flaps (all that the servo can give) when I am on final approach. Keep a little throttle in and then cut it completely right before touchdown. I found that this model is very sensitive to elevator, so I limited the elevator throw. Don't slow it down too much - the real B26 was famous for hot landings.

Its curious what happened with your plane on the first flight. I've installed the shim to the TE of the stab (about 2-3 mm) and had no problem at all - but of course you also have to ensure that the model is balanced correctly. Anyway there's no point beating that topic up, if your model is flying well now everything else is pointless I guess. Hope you have fun with it!

Here's a video I made, showing the elevator throw and flap setting for takeoff. Just for the purpose of demonstration, two quick takeoffs and landings from a short grass field (the second landing has a nice bounce!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds3McW7c-QA
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                  Hey Tony, the Phantom beat me to it... but he told the story... I use "takeoff flaps" for takeoff and then again on the setup for landing, then use full flaps (all that the servo can give) when I am on final approach. Keep a little throttle in and then cut it completely right before touchdown. I found that this model is very sensitive to elevator, so I limited the elevator throw. Don't slow it down too much - the real B26 was famous for hot landings.

Its curious what happened with your plane on the first flight. I've installed the shim to the TE of the stab (about 2-3 mm) and had no problem at all - but of course you also have to ensure that the model is balanced correctly. Anyway there's no point beating that topic up, if your model is flying well now everything else is pointless I guess. Hope you have fun with it!

Here's a video I made, showing the elevator throw and flap setting for takeoff. Just for the purpose of demonstration, two quick takeoffs and landings from a short grass field (the second landing has a nice bounce!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds3McW7c-QA
                  Watching your video, I had forgotten how "hot" I used to land her, prior to my wing mod. Mudduck, I primarily use 4s 4000mah battery in mine, what do you fly her with?

Comment

• Thanks for the video, nothing like a visual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

Watching your video, I had forgotten how "hot" I used to land her, prior to my wing mod. Mudduck, I primarily use 4s 4000mah battery in mine, what do you fly her with?
                      I've made better landings! ... but at the time I was just trying to show someone that this plane can handle grass. The grass helps it slow down on landing! So no problem.

I am using Admiral 3600mah 4-cell batteries.... plus no tail weight. My timer is set for 8 minutes but it can go longer than that.
                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

I've made better landings! ... but at the time I was just trying to show someone that this plane can handle grass. The grass helps it slow down on landing! So no problem.

I am using Admiral 3600mah 4-cell batteries.... plus no tail weight. My timer is set for 8 minutes but it can go longer than that.
                        I also removed the tail weights, and usually fly for 7 to 8 minutes. Was just curious about the size batteries some folks are using, and how the different weights have impacted their flight characteristics on this particular bird...

Comment

• I left the tail weights in my B26 it balances out quite nicely with an Admiral 3600 4s. I just ordered some graphics from Callie as I doing a repaint on my plane.

Comment

• I can't stand extra dead weight. So I removed the tail weights, and carved out the back of the battery compartment which opens up into what would be the bomb bay. So when I put my 4000mah 4s in there in sits touching the what would be the inside of the bomb bay doors. This moves the CG back far enough so that I don't need the tail weights.

Comment

• I completed a repaint on my B26 this past week. Before and after pics.

Comment

• After pic on my B26.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	b26 paints.jpeg
Views:	680
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	227458

Comment

• Nice Bro!!! Glad you have hung in there and what a great job!!! Blessings! Jerry

Comment

• Looks great!

Comment

• I really hate the silver paint scheme. This looks much better. Anyone have ideas to secure the engine cowls? Such a dumb design idea mounting them with magnets. They are bound to fly off into the props.

Glue them or secure with screws.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by robpriceincali View Post
                                        I really hate the silver paint scheme. This looks much better. Anyone have ideas to secure the engine cowls? Such a dumb design idea mounting them with magnets. They are bound to fly off into the props.

Glue them or secure with screws.

Thoughts?
                                        I spot glued them with FoamTac. A small dab of FT between the magnet points is enough. When you need to remove the cowl again, just slip a razor where you put the glue and it should free them up.

Comment

• Thanks. As long as engines hold, shouldn't need to take them off.

My other complaint is the mess of wires in the battery hatch. Mine has servo wires and receiver rerouted to top under wing hatch. Much neater and easier.

Comment

Working...
                                          X