You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah the Seahawks looked pretty good! Obviously it's just preseason but it is always good to see the young bucks shine. Beats the alternative! Lynch was one of the big surprises! I thought Geno looked sub-par which is surprising since everyone has been saying he's the clear front runner in practice at least. I have high hopes for them this year - INJURIES ASIDE - if we can stay relatively healthy, I see an 11-5 type of season with possibly snagging the division away from the Rams. Go Hawks! And Go YA P-38 and ESM Corsair!

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Amen brother!!

Comment

• With the elevator stabs on one end pushed in , definitely the stab overlap will have limited movement than on the other end of the elevator fin. So I dont have any recourse but to take this out and put in to alignment. This is where the binding is. 2 points makes a straight line. I really feel this is something seriously we need to do a repair on. Time as Todd said, is not of the essence, quality is. I will operate on the stabs and cut the robart hinges out mostly on both outer ends without ripping the whole thing apart. I will keep you updated.

Comment

• Awesome Ed! Thanks for the update and your patience that I am sure it will take.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I'd like to see your method for removing the hinges. I acquired a large ARF with poorly installed Robarts that all need to be redone.

Comment

• One method I've used is to take a piece of brass tubing just slightly bigger than the outside dimension of the robart hinge and cut sharp notches in one end to turn it into a hole saw of sorts. Then take the tubing and chuck it up in a battery drill and sink it in around the hinge to separate the epoxy between the stab and the hinge point. Then the hinge can be twisted out with a minimum of damage. The remaining hole can be replaced with a new piece of hard balsa cut to size and epoxied in. Once cured, new holes can be drilled into the new balsa for a new hinge point. Just one idea.

Comment

• I like that idea!

Comment

• Yeah that sounds like a solid way to go as an option for sure!
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I have a set of those Dowel drill set I bought from Germany. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

• No problem Ed. Hope that works.......sorry I didn't catch that the first time around.

Comment

• Updates on your Corsair. I trimmed out the Horizontal stabs about 1.5mm to give it a straight edge and sanded down the edges evenly rather that goes through the skin and gouge out the horn hinges. I believe this is better done since it will not affect the aerodynamics of the stabs.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Looking good Ed, thanks for the update and pics! I was going to post them too...The canopy rails are coming along too so thank you!
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by eawings View Post
                            Updates on your Corsair. I trimmed out the Horizontal stabs about 1.5mm to give it a straight edge and sanded down the edges evenly rather that goes through the skin and gouge out the horn hinges. I believe this is better done since it will not affect the aerodynamics of the stabs.
                            Hi Ed, so was the sanding of the trailing edge of the horizontal stab in place of drilling out the hinge points? I assume that gave the additional needed travel? If so, great!

Comment

• Five months since any last updates...Nothin' like bringin' a dead thread back to life!

Ed sent me some photos I am attaching below. He had to get a new hub and backplate from Tru-Turn as the one I supplied didn't fit correctly. He has the motor mounted and all that's left is to modify the linkage rods and control cables since Pappy's full depth "office" blocks the rods going to the servos. He has to cut some formers and move the rod bridge and servo mounts. This puts the ETA for some time in April. Getting close! Hard to believe it's been nearly 3 years since I was in Friday Harbor over Father's Day Weekend buying her from Brad. How time flies!!
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Totally diggin the pilot... she's comin' along nicely.

Lookin' forward to the next thread revival myself..
                                Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• Yeah I am so stoked to get her in the hangar and start preppin' for the first official sortie! I will have to coordinate with Brad since I promised I would maiden her at his sweet grass field. Maybe this Summer?

I'll need a shot of whiskey (or two) first though!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Glad to see the Queen is soon going to come to life after all these years. The smartest thing I ever did was to sell this plane to Aros so it could finally get completed and I would get to see it fly. I'm having the zero turn serviced as we speak to get ready for the coming flying season. Hope by then the covid-19 virus will have run it's course. Happy to say there are no confirmed cases in the San Juans as yet.

Comment

• Hope it stays that way Brad! I think this all will start to die down and things will return to normal by May/June for sure...
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Well the curve is definitely flattening but we're not quite out of the woods yet. I think we're still on schedule to lift the stay at home order sometime in May. Hopefully by then Ed will be done and I can safely come pick her up. Then begins the quandary of finding a place for her in my garage.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• We are up to 5 cases on San Juan but four of them are EMS or hospital staff. On friday it will be three weeks since a new case. My thanks to Jay Inslee for his diligence. The field is approaching perfect and I have been flying a new CZC two meter plus Cub to get used to the larger scale. Upgraded the motor and bec so it will do pretty much anything! Looking forward to the Queen's arrival.

Comment

Working...
                                          X