You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just saw the Phoenix models A26 in tower.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the Phoenix A-26 Thread on RCG and read from halfway through to the end. It sounds like moving up from a Power 32 to a Power 60 (with bigger ESCs) is needed. THey're also fiddling around with the air valves, but there are some adapters that they've found which seem to work. I'm a virgin to pneumatic retracts; so, I'll have to get them, to figure out what's needed to make them work. From the guys who have flown the A-26, I have not seen any concerns expressed about the wing-to-fuselage connection. They've had multiple occurrences of planes getting severely damaged during shipment (part UPS, but also poor packing by Phoenix/TH). With all of that said, though, I think that this A-26 is still on my want list, for sometime after the Christmas spending spree is over.
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

Sweet! That's actually good to hear and may be going back on my want list as well :)

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
        I found the Phoenix A-26 Thread on RCG and read from halfway through to the end.
        Hi Oxotnik, I am on that thread, and I am currently building the A-26.

A couple of comments....

1) I am going with the rimfire .32 setup, as well the first plane built and flown was based on the rimfire .32 setup. I have run a lot of ecalc numbers and I think the plane will be fine on the .32s
        2) I have had no issues with the pneumatic retracts and this was my first set of air retracts, I can help you source what you need, it is minimal.
        3) my plane arrived mint, but I know Maguro has had a real issue with his deliveries.

I have upgraded with lights and a sound system as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post

Hi Oxotnik, I am on that thread, and I am currently building the A-26.

A couple of comments....

1) I am going with the rimfire .32 setup, as well the first plane built and flown was based on the rimfire .32 setup. I have run a lot of ecalc numbers and I think the plane will be fine on the .32s
          2) I have had no issues with the pneumatic retracts and this was my first set of air retracts, I can help you source what you need, it is minimal.
          3) my plane arrived mint, but I know Maguro has had a real issue with his deliveries.

I have upgraded with lights and a sound system as well.

Thank you! I will certainly be in touch, as I get closer to pulling the trigger on this plane.

So, I have an anecdotal story, regarding this A-26. Earlier this week, I was eating dinner with my wife and daughter (yes, two different people). As we were finishing up dinner, I opened up a Tower Hobbies Wish Book and started browsing. My wife looks over at me and asks, "Is that the Sears and Roebuck for airplane nerds?" To which, I replied, "Hell, yes, and here's my next toy from Santa." [showing them the Phoenix A-26] "It'll weight about 16 lbs and has a 91" wingspan." My daughter then says, "What is that, quarter scale?" So, I did some quick mental gymnastics and ciphering, and was about to give my daughter the correct scale, since she was sooooooo interested. Then, I noticed that my daughter and wife were making 'giggle eyes' at each other, and realized that my daughter had just played me for the chump. Gotta admit, I was really proud of her for pulling that off, deadpan and all. Daddy has taught daughter well... LOL
          ---
          Warbirder

Comment

I ordered this Phoenix A 26, back around the holidays...it arrived in perfect condition (in a box the size of a freakin coffin.You ain't sneaking this bird into the house and collection) Anyway it has been sitting in the back room until now. I have started to accumulate all the bits for an electric powered version. I am going with the .32 Rimfires....mounts and measurements were made around the .32s, and it can be upgraded anyway. I went with Castle Creations HV60s. The servos are Tactic TSX47 (6) and Tactic TSX57(3)….4s Venoms for spark....Bought a Graupner MZ 24 HOTT/ 12ch RX for control.
            **I am brand new to this. Literally working with a UMX T28 ATM (hahahaha) I joined the local club, Bought an E 3s Valiant. to be my trainer. In the meantime I am going to start assembling this A26.
            ***A few questions....they call for LiFE batteries on the website (Tower) but instructions call for NiMH. I am not sure what the difference would be, but the LiFE specify 10c and the NiMH no discharge rate at all
            (one is 64 bucks apiece, the NiMH more like 16) At any rate...the instructions and site both specify 2 receiver batteries. Why 2?? The build shows only the one receiver and one battery mounted in the fuse.
            Glad to be here...hope someone can answer my noob questions. Since time is NOT a factor, I will do an unbox/ build vid for this one, once I have collected all the bits. Depending.. (LiFEs will add 125 dollars to the build) gyro or not, sound or not, my (Counter??) Invader is going to run right around a grand I suppose. Paint and turret delete/ wing tank add won't cost a bunch

Comment

where it begins

Comment

That's gonna be awesome! Cant wait to see the progress as you go:Cool:

Comment

Just placed order, gunna be great, glow for sure, warbirds and radials are supposed to leak drip and smell,,, like steam engines, thats the appeal,,, saw oneguy not liking 2 pc wing,, hes gunna hate the f7f as it glues 5 panels with 4 tubes into one very large awkward assembly,, talk about fun! .planning new paint, check out conair 22 ,canadian fire suppression garb,will include active tank system for retardent drops,(gotta be sscale )

Comment

got sidetracked with a Force, P-51,,,, then I got a Flight Line F7F-3....a Tigercat for my birthday. F7Fwas my dad's ride in Korea. Thinking of having Calle do the graphics to match the one in his old pictures...we will see.
                    My giant Invader box is still sitting on the floor of the train/plane room. I will get to it

Comment

Invader showed up today beautifully packed and secure, first surprise is level of detail in both cockpit and gunners station, pilot is complete to his knees, saves all that extra time putting in more than just a bust,, first impressions are AA,,, money well spent,,, stay tuned...........

Comment

As to f7f. Grew up at fire attack base in 60s ,,cats are the ultimate in shear sex appeal,,,,,,,,, long, lean and round in the right places

Comment

I'm also working on my Phoenix A-26. Got stalled because I couldn't get my pneumatic system to stop leaking. I ended up going away from the stock pneumatic control valve and even a Robart control valve, in favor of a Xicoy V2s solenoid valve. I'm loving the solenoid valve!!

Shipped from Spain to the US within a week.
                          ---
                          Warbirder

Comment

The paint mule....
                            ****another delay....Blackhorse released a HE-111...30s and 40s German twin bomber.**** hahahaha
                            I did order graphics from Callie....I have the markings for, "Special Kay" #671... the Texan A26K

Comment

VQs new twin bomber....the B-25 Mitchel is being shipped this week.....OOO baby. 95 (?) inch Wingspan....built by Seagull.....Dare we hope for Phoenix level of build?.... Sale price of, $895...(reg 1100 bucks) Gonna cost a few to find out! Never seen a Seagull model in person. In theory, I'd like to add this to the hanger....love a big twin.....Got the A26....a Flightline F7f.....a Blackhorse HE111. The Mitchell would fit right in.....do it up as a ground attack 26 from the Pacific arena
                              Check it out guys......anybody flown a " Seagull?"

Comment

Has anybody actually flown their Invader yet??
                                More importantly....Has anyone flown their Invader, on the RECOMMENDED SETUP yet? .32 GP Rimfires etc? Hoping it proved sufficient. It is the setup recommended, that I went with.
                                ( I am no where near skilled or confident enough to fly mine yet) I am in the," Apprentice"...... almost ready to try my," Valiant" stage) Got a room full of planes I am itching to learn to fly hahahahaha.....retirement in 12 months

Comment

Originally posted by WAYNE888 View Post
                                  VQs new twin bomber....the B-25 Mitchel is being shipped this week.....OOO baby. 95 (?) inch Wingspan....built by Seagull.....Dare we hope for Phoenix level of build?.... Sale price of, $895...(reg 1100 bucks) Gonna cost a few to find out! Never seen a Seagull model in person. In theory, I'd like to add this to the hanger....love a big twin.....Got the A26....a Flightline F7f.....a Blackhorse HE111. The Mitchell would fit right in.....do it up as a ground attack 26 from the Pacific arena
                                  Check it out guys......anybody flown a " Seagull?"
                                  Hello Wayne,
                                  I had a Seagull Skyraider, very nice wood ARF. Flew great until I had some radio issues at the NEFI Triangle 3 years ago.
                                  Wood doesn't bounce as well as foam does............total loss
                                  PS..........I corrected your typo regarding the Mitchell, you had B26 (the perks of being a moderator)

Your comment in post#75 of being an "Apprentice" has me a little concerned of your desire to own multiple large twin engine models which can very easily over reach your present skill base.
                                  Please walk before you run regarding your zealousness to fly the big boys, would hate to see ya wad up some big dollar items and get disenchanted before you've really gotten into the sport.

Best regards,
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Hello Wayne,
                                    I had a Seagull Skyraider, very nice wood ARF. Flew great until I had some radio issues at the NEFI Triangle 3 years ago.
                                    PS..........I corrected your typo regarding the Mitchell, you had B26 (the perks of being a moderator)

Your comment in post#75 of being an "Apprentice" has me a little concerned of your desire to own multiple large twin engine models which can very easily over reach your present skill base.
                                    Please walk before you run regarding your zealousness to fly the big boys, would hate to see ya wad up some big dollar items and get disenchanted before you've really gotten into the sport.

Best regards,
                                    Too late....I already have those twins in my inventory...This A26, Flightline F7 (foam) the HE 111 Blackhorse.....I bought the motors, ESCs, servos, retracts, and receivers for each.... the F7 comes already loaded up. None have left the box yet..I am flying the Apprentice, and have a Valiant waiting when I am ready....A "Force" P51 is there for after the Valiant... I am ordering the Seagull Mitchell Friday. Last will be the WACO Bipe my wife ordered for my birthday (saw the confirmation email hahahaha)
                                    I am retiring in a few months, and I assume playtime funding will be somewhat constrained after. I figure none of these is going to go bad, or lose value....(these big twins come in at or over a grand all up) As long as I don't build them, I won't be tempted to do anything stupid. hahaha
                                    ***thanks for changing 26 to 25 hahahaha.....brain fart. Wayne

Comment

Maybe a small "inline" twin first
                                      Seagull Cessna 337 Skymaster is on it's way. In Vietnam....or more correctly, Laos, the fight to close the "trail" was carried out by the 609th in A26K s (B26K) Truck drivers on the trail, came to understand, that spotting an "Oscar Duece" meant an A26 was about to ruin your evening in a big way...OV10 Bronco was the ultimate replacement
                                      Painted for night duty, it is a good companion for my A26

Comment

eStill awaiting the arrival of the Cessna, but ordering it, gave me a chance to rethink power setups.....I ordered a pair of .46 Rimfires and 60a Castle Edge ESCs from Tower.....they are going into the heavier Invader.....32s worked, and were likely pretty scale....but the .46s give it more OOMPH! There are times that more is...more.
                                        The .32s and 60a Castle HDs will go into the 337 ....when it finally gets here (coming by Camel it seems) The pair of .32s make 2.81 hp together....plenty for the big, 80in. Cessna

Comment

Originally posted by WAYNE888 View Post
                                          Has anybody actually flown their Invader yet??
                                          More importantly....Has anyone flown their Invader, on the RECOMMENDED SETUP yet? .32 GP Rimfires etc? Hoping it proved sufficient. It is the setup recommended, that I went with.
                                          ( I am no where near skilled or confident enough to fly mine yet) I am in the," Apprentice"...... almost ready to try my," Valiant" stage) Got a room full of planes I am itching to learn to fly hahahahaha.....retirement in 12 months
                                          Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Hello Wayne,

Best regards,
                                          I want to back up Charlie's comment that the Phoenix A-26 is probably not a good plane for anyone who doesn't already have quite a bit of warbird experience. This plane is very heavily wing loaded. I set up my A-26 with 5055 motors and 6s batteries, and its flight weight is 17 lbs (so, admittedly, I am heavier than the suggested .32/4S setup). With a wing area of 6.6ft^2, it has a wing loading of 41 oz/ft^2 and a wing cube loading of 16. These numbers put it on the far right of the wing-loading scale (and, thus, high stall speed). With my 5055/6S/14x8x3 setup, the power train generates 129 W/lb, which is very respectable. So, the power makes it easy to take off and fly, but the wing loading makes it a challenge to land. You'll need really good throttle-management technique to make a good landing. If you throttle back too much, it'll sink like a pig.

With all of that said. I love my A-26!!! Well, I love it, except for the pneumatic retracts. I've been battling leaky retracts since I purchased my A-26 in January. My left retract collapsed on landing; so, I'm now in the process of replacing the pneumatic system with an electrical servoless retract system.
                                          ---
                                          Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                          X